• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

I rather like #Beautiful. It's an innocuous groove that grows on you. Love the grittiness of the track. Really paints a mood for me.

Koodo

Banned
Soulsis' post was a lovely read.

But it's disheartening to see such a finely-sculpted argument crumbled by the desperation to attribute value to the cesspool that is Xtincta's career. Not only has its career been one of frequent sonic and style changes – like a fat, untalented Madonna – but every bowel movement along the way has been a very uncomfortable pastiche and reduction of prior achievements by greater artists.

The only memorable trait that could be attributed to such an unfortunate career is in the area of vocal erosion; other than that, it's sad to see such a lovely post be taken down a notch by cognitive-dissonance-induced lies and delusion.

Touchdown

Banned
I rather like #Beautiful. It's an innocuous groove that grows on you. Love the grittiness of the track. Really paints a mood for me.

Don't forget to pick it up on Itunes. Currently #11 and still climbing
tumblr_mlkc7sXM2X1r1okmxo3_250.gif

cory64

But Beyonce deserves not a lick of credit for pioneering a goddamn thing. Everything about her - from her sound to her look - can be traced back to an artist who did it before her and better within a timeframe of 3 years. She's as unoriginal a popstar as you can possibly get, and this ain't a read, hunties. It's just a facT. Billboard clocked this tea thoroughly.

Beyonce doesn't deserve placement with the other bad bitches who blaze their own paths. She's the fucking grocery store brand of pop music. Sure, you could get the higher quality original brand, but get Beyonce - she's kinda the same and a whole lot CHEAPER.

RYnWNp5.png

royalan

^Back To Basics. Bye.

Christina pioneered the Big-Band-Meets-Pop sound that her contemporaries are only getting around to 7 years later.

Not to mention the tour for that album spawned the "My Tour is a Circus" motif that would be imitated by the likes of Pink and Britney years later. Xtina blazed her trail.

Although, I do agree that Christina hasn't stuck with any particular sound long enough to meet his definition. She doesn't really fit either category, tbh. Xtina stands alone. *.*

EDIT: Maybe I take that back. Between Lady Marmalade/BTB/Burlesque Xtina has stuck with retro, Vaudeville-pop long enough to have it associated with her. I don't think any pop single with big vocals could sing over a track laden with big bass and horns and not be compared to her. Very few chicks try it, tho.

royalan

Roy painting frenetic lack of commitment to a style as a positive................

It's not frenetic lack of commitment, though. Xtina has been very open about using her albums as a means to challenge herself, artistically. She goes into each album era with the express purpose of doing something different.

RIP. You two <3

I'll keep it short coz I'm already behind (#phuckyodeadlines) but here's my justification for each:

BEYONCE:

Beyonce has done absolutely nothing completely or creatively original in her career. This is a fact. This however has nothing to do with her honing her craft and eventually defining herself through a very specific aesthetic. The reason why she isn't considered a "borrowed niche" is because she never experimented with different styles as a solo artist. Yes, I Am and 4 sound relatively different when you listen to them adjacently but consider the fact that she kept her performance style completely static from the jump. All her songs work well for her because it's her, and not because they're inherently good songs. Yes she has many great songs, and a handful of amazing songs, but they are elevated by her ability to exacerbate their value through her amazing performances, both in-studio and live. So yes, her literal material was never creatively innovative or attributed completely to herself, but that's not the point. The point is that through her initial unoriginality she stuck to a niche so fervently that when she was compared to adjacent acts like Ashanti, Ciara or even Mary J Blige, she was considered the more definitive artist. She knocked everybody out not because she invented her style of R&B, but because she did that respective style of R&B better than anyone else. She's a quintessential "adopted niche" artist, and it was done through a tireless commitment to a certain sound that pretty much waited out everybody else that was going for that same style. In other words, her uniqueness isn't in her innovation, but in her astounding quality. Nobody else has that sheen. Nobody.

CHRISTINA:

Christina is deceiving because by my definition she would be a "borrowed niche" artist since she's dramatically changed her style and sound with every album. The difference with her however is that through the wavering styles and experiments, there is still a completely defined SOUND that's her own. That's a key difference between her and Madonna; while both have released completely uncoordinated material that aren't conceptually related, the former did so by still committing to her unique style/aesthetic. With Christina, her style is completely based on her vocals. She's a vocalist first and foremost, and again, unlike Madonna you can easily pinpoint something that is "pure Christina." So yes, your "adopted niche" can be more varied than simply a type of genre of song structure; it's basically the value of your output. Christina's value is completely dependent on how well she uses her vocal, just like Beyonce's value is contingent on how well she can perform her songs. So by my definition, they're both "adopted niche" because they have a very defined characteristic that makes them stand on their own.

Oh man. Listening to this Demi album... I think she's the first pop star whose albums have actually gotten worse and worse since her debut IMO RIP

edit: I always get addiction recovery ads when I post about Demi

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
But it's disheartening to see such a finely-sculpted argument crumbled by the desperation to attribute value to the cesspool that is Xtincta's career. Not only has its career been one of frequent sonic and style changes &#8211; like a fat, untalented Madonna &#8211; but every bowel movement along the way has been a very uncomfortable pastiche and reduction of prior achievements by greater artists.

The only memorable trait that could be attributed to such an unfortunate career is in the area of vocal erosion; other than that, it's sad to see such a lovely post be taken down a notch by cognitive-dissonance-induced lies and delusion.

Scalp HA. Read that pub singer for the uninspired filth she is.

Mumei

She's a vocalist first and foremost, and again, unlike Madonna you can easily pinpoint something that is "pure Christina."

... Really? Christina isn't a vocalist. She is a mediocre singer with a good voice, and she sings in a way that mimics how great vocalists sound. And while I'll admit that her vocals are a part of her appeal, Madonna's voice is just as distinctive and recognizable, and I think it is an important part of her appeal as well.

Bladenic

I honestly kind of wish Mariah didn't even feature on Beautiful and that it was a Miguel track solely.

The Princess of R&B was giving me everything on the song.

Edit: oh the new Demi album is out. Dunno why I kind of expected something out of it. I'll listen to it sometime but I trust Marius' opinion.

royalan

... Really? Christina isn't a vocalist. She is a mediocre singer with a good voice, and she sings in a way that mimics how great vocalists sound. And while I'll admit that her vocals are a part of her appeal, Madonna's voice is just as distinctive and recognizable, and I think it is an important part of her appeal as well.

You can think she's as mediocre as you want, but Christina's a vocalist.

royalan

I don't see her in the banner of my topic that you made. I do see Bey, though. You stay stanning, Royalancé.

Ch - I Tried to sneak ha in. As if you would have that, tho. ;___;

and I still don't think Bey is notable enough to have made it in, either. Technically proficient does not make her vocal technique iconic. You just wanted to run salt in the wound. ;___;

royalan

I was actually going to post in it the other night. ;___;

Thanks to RuPaul's Drag Race I've been introduced to Yma Sumac. I've never heard a singer quite like her.

Mumei

Pretty sure Mumei made that thread already. A while ago too.

Yeah, it basically ran its course. There isn't really a long-term and consistent group of people interested in discussing it. Of course the real point of the topic (besides talking about my faves) was for this chance to clock Roy. I play a long game.

Ch - I Tried to sneak ha in. As if you would have that, tho. ;___;

and I still don't think Bey is notable enough to have made it in, either. Technically proficient does not make her vocal technique iconic. You just wanted to run salt in the wound. ;___;

Sis, I gave you a list of dozens of possible singers from a number of genres to chose from for the banner and you chose Bey out of all those choices all by yourself.

This is like one of those "The most raving and bitter homophobe is actually the biggest queen around," things, isn't it?

3phemeral

Thanks to RuPaul's Drag Race I've been introduced to Yma Sumac. I've never heard a singer quite like her.

Whaaat? She was discussed in the vocalists thread. I love Chuncho.

I love the mythos around her: whether she's an Incan princess reincarnated, a fraud whose name spells "Amy Camus" backwards, her supposed double-voice singing, etc.

Fine, let me modify: Whether or not you (Mumei) would consider her a vocalist, Christina's mainstream appeal is rooted in her vocal style. That's what set her apart from the rest of the contemporary, and her entire legacy is based around her voice above all else.

I agree that Beyonce's a much better vocalist though...

What they do in the room,
This silly puss on windy time...
aAAAHHH!

Those totally aren't the words but I can't stop singing it that way. lol

Mumei said:
Sis, I gave you a list of dozens of possible singers from a number of genres to chose from for the banner and you chose Bey out of all those choices all by yourself.

This is like one of those "The most raving and bitter homophobe is actually the biggest queen around," things, isn't it?

Uuuuuuuuff...

Bladenic

Yeah, it basically ran its course. There isn't really a long-term and consistent group of people interested in discussing it. Of course the real point of the topic (besides talking about my faves) was for this chance to clock Roy. I play a long game.

Not you being a long term cunning planner. Giving me Francis Underwood teas.

eRtby.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Edit: oh the new Demi album is out. Dunno why I kind of expected something out of it. I'll listen to it sometime but I trust Marius' opinion.

Dont waste your time

The album is full of uninspired hook-less uptempo songs and soulless ballads, there is just very little growth. She really needs to get better writers because even if she is trying to go for a basic sound the album still falls flat

BUT there are some songs that I liked aside from Heart Attack

Shouldn't Come Back
52b0f867.gif

Never Been Hurt
Made In The USA

sure the others could grow but for now those are the only ones that stood out

Cynosure

The first time I heard Christina Aguilera sing, I was totally blown away. I love the way she sings. Her tone is beautiful, and her voice has got so much power, yet so much sensitivity &#8212; and technically, I think, she&#8217;s flawless.
I didn&#8217;t realize how versatile she was, but over the years she has proved that she can sing anything and make it sound incredible: pop, soul, R&B and even country. Without a doubt, she&#8217;s one of the most talented artists the world has ever seen and heard

- one of the 90's vocalist trinity who can still sing

an industry professional > a biased lamb with zero credentials

tumblr_m6ph4mtWUx1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Dont waste your time

The album is full of uninspired hook-less uptempo songs and soulless ballads, there is just very little growth. She really needs to get better writers because even if she is trying to go for a basic sound the album still falls flat

Don't you also think the production was an issue too? It was all so familiar. So many of the songs came off to me like the producers looked at other songs that topped the charts and copied the way they were put together.

Demi has 4 studio albums now and we still have absolutely no idea about who she is as an artist. Nothing she's done sets her apart from her peers.

Touchdown

Banned
Going on Amazon tomorrow. Already #7 on itunes. #1 in 11 countries so far. Just think what will happen after the video premier on idol....
tumblr_mkhwvxrr0w1rnytu7o1_500.gif

Artemisia

Banned
*adds Mariah Carey to list of artists who've successfully used their reality TV appearances to propel their music careers*

poor xtina...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom