• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait at this stanning

Are you drinking before happy hour?

Hold on lemme talk it out...

So after watching the Loud Tour and listening to her discography again, I've decided that my issue with Rihanna isn't that she sucks and always will, but rather that she's still massively undercooked but still has a lot of potential to grow. Yes she can't sing and that concert had no actual concept, flow or running theme but her ambition and tenacity are still very evident. So for now my opinion of her has gone down from pure disdain to slightly aggressive indifference. She falls short in some major categories that someone of her caliber shouldn't be under-performing in (like live performance, grounding your aesthetic, etc.) but that doesn't mean she won't get there eventually.

My biggest qualm with her at the end of the day was that all of her hits, except maybe the ones with heavy Caribbean influence, could have been just as good (if not better) songs if sung by other people. Again, with the exception of songs like Man Down, she doesn't exude any trademark or signature in her songs that exacerbate her quality as an artist. That's why I've grouped her with people like Katy Perry, Maroon 5 and Justin Bieber because they're not quite there in terms of defining their own aesthetic through their material. The pop stars that I gravitate to most are the ones that do, right from the get-go. But I guess I shouldn't take her that seriously, coz I still use songs from Katy and Maroon 5. I'll continue to use Rihanna songs (her team is constantly eyeing radio trends so she'll always be "current") but I won't put her in a similar category as Lady Gaga, Beyonce or Christina until she starts working on herself.

EDIT: The best analogy I can think of is with Madonna. Even people who despise Madonna as an "artist" have a favorite Madonna song. It comes from the fact that she's released every possible style of pop song to the point where everybody's bound to like at least one of her songs. In the general scheme of things, Madonna's aesthetic is hugely unfocused. That's what stops me from gravitating towards her because she's done so much (and her voice/performance style isn't exactly unchanging) that there isn't a certain niche or quality that makes me say "oh that's pure Madonna." That's how Rihanna is to me right now. She has a great discography for someone that young, and I'm a fan of a lot of her songs, but those songs do absolutely nothing to increase my interest in Rihanna the singer/artist.

Mumei

Hold on lemme talk it out...

So after watching the Loud Tour and listening to her discography again, I've decided that my issue with Rihanna isn't that she sucks and always will, but rather that she's still massively undercooked but still has a lot of potential to grow. Yes she can't sing and that concert had no actual concept, flow or running theme but her ambition and tenacity are still very evident. So for now my opinion of her has gone down from pure disdain to slightly aggressive indifference. She falls short in some major categories that someone of her caliber shouldn't be under-performing in (like live performance, grounding your aesthetic, etc.) but that doesn't mean she won't get there eventually.

My biggest qualm with her at the end of the day was that all of her hits, except maybe the ones with heavy Caribbean influence, could have been just as good (if not better) songs if sung by other people. Again, with the exception of songs like Man Down, she doesn't exude any trademark or signature in her songs that exacerbate her quality as an artist. That's why I've grouped her with people like Katy Perry, Maroon 5 and Justin Bieber because they're not quite there in terms of defining their own aesthetic through their material. The pop stars that I gravitate to most are the ones that do, right from the get-go. But I guess I shouldn't take her that seriously, coz I still use songs from Katy and Maroon 5. I'll continue to use Rihanna songs (her team is constantly eyeing radio trends so she'll always be "current") but I won't put her in a similar category as Lady Gaga, Beyonce or Christina until she starts working on herself. lol

I thought you added Kelly Clarkson to your Godhead. That affair over already?

botty

Banned
the meltdowns if/when #Beautiful goes #1
49302c4d.gif

All the critics love #Beautiful. Bless Mariah for delivering qualiTy.
49302c4d.gif

Mumei

Kelly Clarkson, P!nk, Whitney, Shakira, MIA, Justin Timberlake and Janelle Monae also fall under that list, but I didn't feel like writing them all. :p

Wait, this isn't a Godhead this is more like a pantheon. So what are their respective roles? I need to learn more about this religion. This should be your new project.

Fey

Banned
EDIT: The best analogy I can think of is with Madonna. Even people who despise Madonna as an "artist" have a favorite Madonna song. It comes from the fact that she's released every possible style of pop song to the point where everybody's bound to like at least one of her songs. In the general scheme of things, Madonna's aesthetic is hugely unfocused. That's what stops me from gravitating towards her because she's done so much (and her voice/performance style isn't exactly unchanging) that there isn't a certain niche or quality that makes me say "oh that's pure Madonna." That's how Rihanna is to me right now. She has a great discography for someone that young, and I'm a fan of a lot of her songs, but those songs do absolutely nothing to increase my interest in Rihanna the singer/artist.

I actually think this is fair criticism of Madonna. I don't agree with it, but in terms of your own taste I can see why you don't put Madonna on your list.

Rihanna really is the Black Madonna tbh.
f58a8b71.gif
If Rihanna was just a little more controversial and made more critically acclaimed albums, then she would fit right into her shoes.

Artemisia

Banned
What is it saying about Beyonce and May 8th?? Am I reading that right? lol

That's apparently the vevo video schedule for this week.

It says that Grown Woman's video will be released May 9th.

That would go along with the information Vevo Netherlands gave us last week, saying the Grown Woman video would be released the next week (which is this week).

Supposedly, Lana's video was pushed back so we may have to wait and see if the Beautiful video comes out on the 8th to get a sense of whether or not this is reliable or not.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Jessie Ware's opening band Ms Mr has their album streaming on hypemachine today.

Listen to ha.

edit: wow, "Beautiful" is laaazy, but I at least appreciate Mariah letting Miguel do all the work and presumably take all the credit too. I keep hearing people driving around lately with her classics blasting, which only exacerbates how flimsy her recent output has been.

Touchdown

Banned
edit: wow, "Beautiful" is laaazy, but I at least appreciate Mariah letting Miguel do all the work and presumably take all the credit too. I keep hearing people driving around lately with her classics blasting, which only exacerbates how flimsy her recent output has been.

Actually they have equal time on the song. But yes, she does let Miguel open the song. My Humbleiah.
ec20fb7f.gif

Wait, this isn't a Godhead this is more like a pantheon. So what are their respective roles? I need to learn more about this religion. This should be your new project.

Gwooorl I could go on and on about that :0

Basically musicians fall under the category of "adopted niche" or "borrowed niche." The former category includes musicians who have carved out a style/sound/aesthetic that becomes so entwined with their identity as an artist that they almost block off that style as entirely their own.

The benefit of being an "adopted niche" artist is that critics and mainstream will potentially reference you or your work when judging adjacent material. For example:

- "That Bruno Mars song sounds very Justin Timberlake"
- "Nicki Minaj went full Gaga at the Grammys"
- "She was really trying to channel Beyonce in that performance"

The other benefit of being an "adopted niche" artist is that you can potentially nullify an adjacent act or render them redundant and obsolete. See: Ashanti (KO'd by Beyonce), Avril Lavigne (KO'd by P!nk).

So by that definition, here's a short list of "adopted niche" artists:
- Lady Gaga
- Beyonce
- Kelly Clarkson
- Janelle Monae
- Justin Timberlake
- Christina Aguilera
- P!nk
- Lana Del Rey
- MIA
- Whitney Houston
- Shakira
- Backstreet Boys
- Outkast
- Coldplay

The second category is "borrowed niche," which is a category filled by musicians who try to adopt established sounds and aesthetics that were made famous or defined more fully by other music acts. "Borrowed niche" acts can have incredibly rousing success however, and in many cases can be even more successful in their respective niche than "adopted niche" artists if singles are chosen correctly. In other cases, people who fall under "borrowed niche" may actually pull off that niche even BETTER than artists who dedicate their own discography to that certain sound or feel. See: Ray of Light-era Madonna, Blackout-era Britney.

The contemporary music climate heavily favors "borrowed niche" musicians because they can much more easily blend in with musical trends without sacrificing their own value. In other words, the value of a "borrowed niche" musician is based very heavily on contextual situations, like the quality of their songs, the general population's musical interest at the time, or simply a "right place at the right time" bout of luck.

I tend to place "borrowed niche" artists on a lower totem-pole than others because of their general lack of commitment to a certain sound, but I also won't deny that showing versatility in your work and obliging to be experimental and trying new things shows boldness and a risk-taking personality, which are commendable traits. However much of the time these "borrowed niche" musicians find huge success when the "adopted niche" artist is MIA at the time, or if the latter simply didn't release the right single or promote themselves effectively (See: Beyonce, 4)

In other words, the "borrowed niche" musician's career trajectory tends to affect no one else around them. Even with hit after hit and more exposure being lent your way, your musical presence will most likely not be a threat to adjacent acts. Much like how Katy Perry's success didn't affect Kelly Clarkson's or P!nk's, or Usher's success with Justin Timberlake's, or Rihanna's success with Beyonce. Their career trajectory can very well skyrocket to record-breaking heights, but 90% of the time your presence will not nullify someone else's value.

Also keep in mind that "borrowed niche" musicians can also sometimes knock out "adopted niche" musicians out of that respective style, assuming the former aces it pretty handily and the latter falls really short at some point in their careers or drops out of the field. Niche transitions have happened in the past (Backstreet Boys/N'Sync --> One Direction, Whitney Houston ---> Mariah Carey, TLC ---> Destiny's Child) but it takes movement from both those musicians to establish the passing of the torch.

Some "borrowed niche" artists:
- Madonna
- Rihanna
- Usher
- Bruno Mars
- Nicki Minaj
- Maroon 5
- Pitbull
- Avril Lavigne
- Chris Brown

Some musicians can borrow from so many styles and looks that they become famous for being a chameleon. That's considered the holy grail for "borrowed niche." Madonna is the best (and probably only) example of someone who gets some musical value for literally changing values on a constant. The other holy grail is of course becoming part of the "adopted niche", which is actually the general legacy-goal with most major acts. You want to be known for something specific and defined, and through the many waverings in styles and sounds you tend to want to eventually be known for something grand and long-lasting.

I could talk more about this (if I wasn't at work, lol) but that's the general gist of how I see it ;)

Mau ®

Gwooorl I could go on and on about that :0

Basically musicians fall under the category of "adopted niche" or "borrowed niche." The former category includes musicians who have carved out a style/sound/aesthetic that becomes so entwined with their identity as an artist that they almost block off that style as entirely their own.

The benefit of being an "adopted niche" artist is that critics and mainstream will potentially reference you or your work when judging adjacent material. For example:

- "That Bruno Mars song sounds very Justin Timberlake"
- "Nicki Minaj went full Gaga at the Grammys"
- "She was really trying to channel Beyonce in that performance"

The other benefit of being an "adopted niche" artist is that you can potentially nullify an adjacent act or render them redundant and obsolete. See: Ashanti (KO'd by Beyonce), Avril Lavigne (KO'd by P!nk).

So by that definition, here's a short list of "adopted niche" artists:
- Lady Gaga
- Beyonce
- Kelly Clarkson
- Janelle Monae
- Justin Timberlake
- Christina Aguilera
- P!nk
- Lana Del Rey
- MIA
- Whitney Houston
- Shakira
- Backstreet Boys
- Outkast
- Coldplay

The second category is "borrowed niche," which is a category filled by musicians who try to adopt established sounds and aesthetics that were made famous or defined more fully by other music acts. "Borrowed niche" acts can have incredibly rousing success however, and in many cases can be even more successful in their respective niche than "adopted niche" artists if singles are chosen correctly. In other cases, people who fall under "borrowed niche" may actually pull off that niche even BETTER than artists who dedicate their own discography to that certain sound or feel. See: Ray of Light-era Madonna, Blackout-era Britney.

The contemporary music climate heavily favors "borrowed niche" musicians because they can much more easily blend in with musical trends without sacrificing their own value. In other words, the value of a "borrowed niche" musician is based very heavily on contextual situations, like the quality of their songs, the general population's musical interest at the time, or simply a "right place at the right time" bout of luck.

I tend to place "borrowed niche" artists on a lower totem-pole than others because of their general lack of commitment to a certain sound, but I also won't deny that showing versatility in your work and obliging to be experimental and trying new things shows boldness and a risk-taking personality, which are commendable traits. However much of the time these "borrowed niche" musicians find huge success when the "adopted niche" artist is MIA at the time, or if the latter simply didn't release the right single or promote themselves effectively (See: Beyonce, 4)

In other words, the "borrowed niche" musician's career trajectory tends to affect no one else around them. Even with hit after hit and more exposure being lent your way, your musical presence will most likely not be a threat to adjacent acts. Much like how Katy Perry's success didn't affect Kelly Clarkson's or P!nk's, or Usher's success with Justin Timberlake's, or Rihanna's success with Beyonce. Their career trajectory can very well skyrocket to record-breaking heights, but 90% of the time your presence will not nullify someone else's value.

Also keep in mind that "borrowed niche" musicians can also sometimes knock out "adopted niche" musicians out of that respective style, assuming the former aces it pretty handily and the latter falls really short at some point in their careers or drops out of the field. Niche transitions have happened in the past (Backstreet Boys/N'Sync --> One Direction, Whitney Houston ---> Mariah Carey, TLC ---> Destiny's Child) but it takes movement from both those musicians to establish the passing of the torch.

Some "borrowed niche" artists:
- Madonna
- Rihanna
- Usher
- Bruno Mars
- Nicki Minaj
- Maroon 5
- Pitbull
- Avril Lavigne
- Chris Brown

Some musicians can borrow from so many styles and looks that they become famous for being a chameleon. That's considered the holy grail for "borrowed niche." Madonna is the best (and probably only) example of someone who gets some musical value for literally changing values on a constant. The other holy grail is of course becoming part of the "adopted niche", which is actually the general legacy-goal with most major acts. You want to be known for something specific and defined, and through the many waverings in styles and sounds you tend to want to eventually be known for something grand and long-lasting.

I could talk more about this (if I wasn't at work, lol) but that's the general gist of how I see it ;)

I really enjoyed reading this.

Majmun

Is Soulscribe the best poster on Popgaf? His posts are amazing and full of insight. He can word his thoughts so well <3

Anyway. I'm giving Major Lazer some attention and their music is killing me. Never thought it would be so good. Imma get all of their albums now.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Anyway. I'm giving Major Lazer some attention and their music is killing me. Never thought it would be so good. Imma get all of their albums now.

I managed to destroy the speakers in my car several years ago playing "Hold the Line" and "Keep It Goin' Louder" all summer
49302c4d.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I actually thought that was a weak track

still enjoying MITUSA, Neon Lights is next
iS7YQq0FGP2Im.gif

Without the love > Mitusa
Heart attack shits on lives of course.

Not really checked for demi before, sounds like this new album could be a decent pop record tho

edit; Neon Lights

Mumei

Soulscribe: Interesting but I was thinking something less serious and more like "So-And-So is the Goddess of X" than something where there's only two categories!

How do you place musicians with very different sounds across albums, but seem very authentic in both? For instance, Whitney in My Love Is Your Love sounds nothing like she did in Whitney Houston or Whitney - not just her voice but the music itself is very different. Can she be adopted niche in both cases since they are so far apart temporally?

Mariah letting Miguel do all the work and presumably take all the credit too.

The shade.

(But yeah, he does take precedence in the credits)

SaintZ

Heart attack shits on lives of course.

Not really checked for demi before, sounds like this new album could be a decent pop record tho
I feel exactly the same with the exception of MitUSA > WTL. But yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised because Demetria is bringing it this era so far.

Majmun

I managed to destroy the speakers in my car several years ago playing "Hold the Line" and "Keep It Goin' Louder" all summer
49302c4d.gif

Just listened to those songs and I'm utterly slayed.
49302c4d.gif

I love Diplo and Switch, but I somehow ignored Major Lazer. I've seen the light now. Time to expand my faves list.

royalan

Soulsis' post was a lovely read.

But Beyonce deserves not a lick of credit for pioneering a goddamn thing. Everything about her - from her sound to her look - can be traced back to an artist who did it before her and better within a timeframe of 3 years. She's as unoriginal a popstar as you can possibly get, and this ain't a read, hunties. It's just a facT. Billboard clocked this tea thoroughly.

Beyonce doesn't deserve placement with the other bad bitches who blaze their own paths. She's the fucking grocery store brand of pop music. Sure, you could get the higher quality original brand, but get Beyonce - she's kinda the same and a whole lot CHEAPER.

Majmun

Just listened to those Demi tracks. And I have to say....

thanks for polluting my ears after having them blessed with Major Lazer
iXAqFWXiB5XQ1.gif

Trigger

But Beyonce deserves not a lick of credit for pioneering a goddamn thing. Everything about her - from her sound to her look - can be traced back to an artist who did it before her and better within a timeframe of 3 years. She's as unoriginal a popstar as you can possibly get, and this ain't a read, hunties. It's just a facT. Billboard clocked this tea thoroughly.

Beyonce doesn't deserve placement with the other bad bitches who blaze their own paths. She's the fucking grocery store brand of pop music. Sure, you could get the higher quality original brand, but get Beyonce - she's kinda the same and a whole lot CHEAPER.

I'm cackling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom