• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mccy4rUYIF1qhm6vbo1_500.gif

What the actual fuck, Eminem? You think saying brazen homophobic shit will still fly in 2013? Lord hammercy, you best prepare for the clapback.

Mumei

When you said "slaying a Beyonce song" did you mean "revealing her weak and airy lower register while attempting a Beyoncé song"?

What SHE does when she sings and HOW she sings has nothing to do with how she directs her contestants. And, as someone who does sing, Christina often gives great advice. Even Mumei admit's that the instruction Christina gives is pretty sound. Also, Christina's advice tends to be tailored to what her she feels are the strengths of her individual contestants, which is rarely ever "sing how I would do this."

Indeed!

I mean, that's where half the fun of this video comes from - the contrast of the fairly sound advice she gives contestants with examples of her not following said advice at all, and not just in one-off "bad" performances but in performances her stans point to as some of her best.

On the subject the performance itself, I was rather amused by the struggles that went on between Amber and Timyra, though. Timyra struggled with the lower register at the beginning of the song - she was only even audible when she stopped trying to go so low, and Amber had the same problem on "release" at 0:40. And let's not even get started on their struggles with the high notes - pinched, thin, strained. I don't know what Timyra thought she was doing at 2:01 - 2:05, but it wasn't cute.

A palate cleanser.

Love my girl Xtina, but her attempting a Beyonce song............. I'm pretty sure if she tried singing Listen or Love On Top all the way through her voice would literally crumble halfway.

royalan

When you said "slaying a Beyonce song" did you mean "revealing her weak and airy lower register while attempting a Beyoncé song"?

I still think this is your craziest criticism of Christina's vocals. I think I just need examples, because I can't hear it. I do think her lower register is airy, but I don't think that alone means it's weak. Especially here: her tone is clear and even, and there's even some resonance.

Indeed!

I mean, that's where half the fun of this video comes from - the contrast of the fairly sound advice she gives contestants with examples of her not following said advice at all, and not just in one-off "bad" performances but in performances her stans point to as some of her best.

On the subject the performance itself, I was rather amused by the struggles that went on between Amber and Timyra, though. Timyra struggled with the lower register at the beginning of the song - she was only even audible when she stopped trying to go so low, and Amber had the same problem on "release" at 0:40. And let's not even get started on their struggles with the high notes - pinched, thin, strained. I don't know what Timyra thought she was doing at 2:01 - 2:05, but it wasn't cute.

A palate cleanser.

Yeah, Timyra was flat until halfway through that performance when she started belting.

I don't think I have a preference, merely because both girls had tendencies that annoyed me, and I hate that song. I really need people to stop trying to make Listen a timeless ballad. It is not a timeless ballad.

Love my girl Xtina, but her attempting a Beyonce song............. I'm pretty sure if she tried singing Listen or Love On Top all the way through her voice would literally crumble halfway.

True. Then again, I couldn't imagine Beyonce even recording a song as difficult as Ain't No other Man, Fighter, or Walk Away. Much less performing them live.

I DUNNO ABOUT YOU, BUT I'M FEELING 22

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IF YOU KEEP ME NEXT TO YOUUUUUU

YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT ME, BUT I'LL BET YOU WANT TOOOOOO

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IF

WE KEEP DANCING LIKE WE'RE 22

tumblr_inline_mqwfelwacT1qz4rgp.gif

Life. But I accidentally let go of the button when choking Norman, and RYAN DIED OMGAFADSfalkdfn. I had to settle for Jay.
I want to see all the other endings now, mine seems like it was one of the worst ones.

ENDING GAME SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT IT RUINED.

Norman? Do you mean Nathan? Heavy Rain's impacT. Nathan killed himself in mine, and I chose life with Ryan because I decided to date him again in the lobby and wanted to follow through.

The Zoey ending is cool, and I will be pretty upset if DC doesn't do a sequel after that ending scene. ;_;

3phemeral

6 months in china and i've not seen a SINGLE fortune cookie. people here don't even know what they are. we're being lied to.

They're an American invention. Although, I read a while back that Taiwanese restaurants were slowly incorporating them into their restaurant after-meals.

This is the first time I've seen the video in full and #DEATH at the Geisha girls in a Chinese food song.
i3bl91y8An4vi.gif

Mumei

I still think this is your craziest criticism of Christina's vocals. I think I just need examples, because I can't hear it. I do think her lower register is airy, but I don't think that alone means it's weak. Especially here: her tone is clear and even, and there's even some resonance.

This is a good set of examples.

Pay attention to what happens when she hits the notes, and contrast it with what happens when Mariah hits the notes. For instance, on the first Eb3, Mariah doesn't get down there until the end, and it's quiet but audible (0:33). When Christina goes for it, her voice quite simply disappears by (0:36) - she has no support, and you would not hear that note if she were projecting it without a microphone - let alone something even lower. She does this repeatedly - she starts higher than the note (naturally), descends down to it, and by the time she gets down to it there's nothing there. It's just air. She also barely touches the notes - she only rarely phrases or sustains notes in the lower half of the third octave. She starts to sound more solid in the top third of the third octave (F3 - A3), but below that she's inconsistent and her sound lacks a core.

I think you can hear that repeatedly in these clips.

Yeah, Timyra was flat until halfway through that performance when she started belting.

Well, let's not pretend she even deserved to make it that far.

Better than Alicia Keys, tho

True. Then again, I couldn't imagine Beyonce even recording a song as difficult as Ain't No other Man, Fighter, or Walk Away. Much less performing them live.

Er.

Love On Top is more difficult than any of those. The modulations alone are incredible, but the register coordination and transitions, the agility in head voice, the incredibly high tessitura at the end (more impressive than the climax of Fighter), and it's well beyond Christina's ability to reproduce live or in studio. It's a vocal showcase, however you feel about the song itself.

And frankly, it doesn't make much sense to argue that Beyoncé couldn't record a song as difficult as those when Christina can't even do justice to those songs, let alone Love On Top (or Listen, while we're at it).

Other Important News: Roy, have you listened to Emotions recently? This section is ridiculous.

Why do people keep trying to cover Listen? Beyoncé is the only one that slays it.

It's pretty much the reason why I hate the song. Every terrible cover of the song continue to ruin the quality in which it was sung in by the queen herself. It's just as bad when people try to cover Whitneys "I will always love you".. I still love that song but only when Whitney sings it. Everybody else needs to stop

I don't remember who posted this but I really fucking want some Chinese now.

I would of been in there singing "Chicken and Broccoli, White rice tooo" I just can't believe this is a song. I mean wow.. I really need to check my priorities in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom