• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Tove Lo - Out Of Mind

This woman has been slaying me. I need an album.

2n10nt.gif

omg yes, I love this

SWEDEN

Nemesis_

Is this a real quote?

The Mrs. Carter Show is an upcoming live album by American R&B singer Beyoncé, it was filmed in Antwerp, Belgium at the Sportpaleis during the show on May 31, 2013, during The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour. The DVD is set to be released on November 1, 2013.

On October 8, 2013, Knowles' said:

"I wanted to put this show on DVD, because i had to reschedule that show 3 hours before the start on May 14. And that so in Antwerp felt so good, and the fans loved "Standing On The Sun". I also saw some banners written "Queen B, you are a amazing" from a kid who is about 12-14 and "You have a sexy butt", so i had to put it on a DVD".

From Wikipedia

Is this a real quote?

The Mrs. Carter Show is an upcoming live album by American R&B singer Beyoncé, it was filmed in Antwerp, Belgium at the Sportpaleis during the show on May 31, 2013, during The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour. The DVD is set to be released on November 1, 2013.

On October 8, 2013, Knowles' said:

From Wikipedia

If this is true...

Really Bey? Ugh

tumblr_mekreacZKz1qltqg1.gif

Like fall back bitch. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Nemesis_

But wait, I just realised the Beyhive finally have a chance to grab some new music!

Mrs. Carter Royal Collectors Edition: DVD, CD, 120 Page booklet, stickers, T-Shirt, new parfume sample, "Standing On The Sun" & "Grown Woman" single CD & Calendar

Mark November 1st on your calendars, honey bees.

ibbIY41PGjh0IB.gif

That Tove Lo song shits.

Sweden is truly a pop music haven and no other country could ever. I mean, Robyn, Loreen, Vanbot, Agnes, Icona Pop, Kate Boy, The Knife, and the GOAT ABBA. Other countries tried it.

royalan

This is a good set of examples.

Pay attention to what happens when she hits the notes, and contrast it with what happens when Mariah hits the notes. For instance, on the first Eb3, Mariah doesn't get down there until the end, and it's quiet but audible (0:33). When Christina goes for it, her voice quite simply disappears by (0:36) - she has no support, and you would not hear that note if she were projecting it without a microphone - let alone something even lower. She does this repeatedly - she starts higher than the note (naturally), descends down to it, and by the time she gets down to it there's nothing there. It's just air. She also barely touches the notes - she only rarely phrases or sustains notes in the lower half of the third octave. She starts to sound more solid in the top third of the third octave (F3 - A3), but below that she's inconsistent and her sound lacks a core.

I think you can hear that repeatedly in these clips.

I will give these a listen.

Er.

Love On Top is more difficult than any of those. The modulations alone are incredible, but the register coordination and transitions, the agility in head voice, the incredibly high tessitura at the end (more impressive than the climax of Fighter), and it's well beyond Christina's ability to reproduce live or in studio. It's a vocal showcase, however you feel about the song itself.

And frankly, it doesn't make much sense to argue that Beyoncé couldn't record a song as difficult as those when Christina can't even do justice to those songs, let alone Love On Top (or Listen, while we're at it).

Other Important News: Roy, have you listened to Emotions recently? This section is ridiculous.

I just don't know about that. I mean, I can hear the things Beyonce is doing in Love on Top and note how impressive they are, but to me they don't necessarily make the song impressive or complex. There's very little about Love on Top that couldn't be replicated if you had Beyonce's range (which is a fairly standard mezzo-soprano range) and even just BASIC training.

This is like a conversation I had with a friend once when out singing karaoke. You see a lot of people doing Beyonce songs when you're out at karoake, and it's not because they're they're more popular; it's because they're really easy songs to sing, if you can hit the note. Love on Top is very basic in that regard.

It's not the same as a song like Ain't No Other Man, for example, which is just a complex dynamo. I mean, just listen to it, particularly the first verse. The tempo is so quick, and every vocal line is sung at a different beat, especially leading into the pre-chorus:

"Told my mother, my brother
My sister and my friends
I told the others, my lovers
Both past and present tense.

Now every time I see you
Everything starts making sense.
"

Fucking relentless. The way she PUNCHES every beat. And let's not even get into the runs Christina weaves in and out of it. You need way more than just Christina's range to sing that. You need control, timing, and flexibility. To me, that's way more complicated to pull off than just singing the same bland line over and over and going up in pitch.

But wait, I just realised the Beyhive finally have a chance to grab some new music!

Mark November 1st on your calendars, honey bees.

ibbIY41PGjh0IB.gif

This shit is whack and I'm cool with that. Obviously the lessor beyhive members can suck on that but in the meantime at least I got Gaga to fall back on. I'll wait, there is no rush.

And all is well with the world. Let it transport you to higher plane, sis.

ib1SlpRx7KTgv5.gif

I know this moment will be over, tomorrow comes when we are sober.
Will we feel the same or let it be. Will you be there?
The night is almost getting over and I don't want us to turn colder.
I want to wake up with you next to me. Will you be there?

SLAY ME

tumblr_inline_mozp92f1ob1qz4rgp.gif

image.php

I made the right choice.

I was percheD for him during that entire section.

Nemesis_

What the fuck has happened to Supes though. Ever since she went to China she just became some weird Google AdSense bot that spits out keywords.

Mumei

I just don't know about that. I mean, I can hear the things Beyonce is doing in Love on Top and note how impressive they are, but to me they don't necessarily make the song impressive or complex. There's very little about Love on Top that couldn't be replicated if you had Beyonce's range (which is a fairly standard mezzo-soprano range) and even just BASIC training.

Well, I'll start by saying I disagree about Beyoncé's range. A fully supported, three-and-a-third octave range is rare in pop music. She has a bigger connected range than Whitney did, and (frankly) she makes regular use of a bigger connected range than Mariah usually did (simply because Mariah very rarely used her connected head voice, and never had Beyoncé's facility with it). She certainly has her comfort zone in a mezzo tessitura, but her range is exceptional.

This is like a conversation I had with a friend once when out singing karaoke. You see a lot of people doing Beyonce songs when you're out at karoake, and it's not because they're they're more popular; it's because they're really easy songs to sing, if you can hit the note. Love on Top is very basic in that regard.

Oh, please. You sound like someone arguing that I Will Always Love You isn't very hard; you just have to be loud.

And you can stop about Ain't No Other Man.

It's not the same as a song like Ain't No Other Man, for example, which is just a complex dynamo. I mean, just listen to it, particularly the first verse. The tempo is so quick, and every vocal line is sung at a different beat, especially leading into the pre-chorus:

"Told my mother, my brother
My sister and my friends
I told the others, my lovers
Both past and present tense.

Now every time I see you
Everything starts making sense.
"

Fucking relentless. And let's not even get into the runs Christina weaves in and out of it. You need way more than just Christina's range to sing that. You need control, timing, and flexibility.

To me, that's way more complicated to pull off than just singing the same bland line over and over and going up in pitch.

I'd like to first stipulate that there is a difference between a song being complex and difficult in the abstract, and a vocalist's ability to fully to justice to those difficulties. I was not arguing that Christina didn't have any songs with technical challenges; I was arguing that she fails at what I see as the basics of vocal production - producing a free, open, and supported tone. Beyoncé is able to meet those standards while singing songs as difficult as Love On Top; Christina is only able to reach that standard intermittently (e.g. Beautiful Acapella, and only most of it), and never on material anywhere near as difficult.

I would also like to point out that you clearly have not listened to Love On Top in awhile if you argue that Ain't No Other Man requires control, timing, and flexibility whereas Love On Top just requires you to sing the same lines repeatedly at progressively higher pitches. Love On Top requires flexibility in the head voice, coordination of registers, difficult registration transitions (head / chest transitions are more difficult to perform seamlessly while maintaining support), flexibility in the chest voice and in the lower register (and runs that go comfortably from the middle register into head voice), repeated phrasing on D5 and E5,

I'll give you that the shifting tempo and more varied phrasing on Ain't No Other Man is impressive - but none of those phrasing issues are beyond what Beyoncé has shown the ability to do before. Meanwhile, Christina struggles with singing in a high tessitura even at the peak of her powers. You cannot credibly make the argument that Beyoncé could not do justice to Ain't No Other Man, or that Christina could sing Love On Top.

A lot of people don't like The Dalai Lana, and I can see why tbh.

Luckily I'm not one of those.

The thing is, what is not to like? For me, I love her voice.. It's just so different, I love her fashion, her style, the culture she is infatuated with that I never really paid attention too. She just unique. When I first heard her, you think she's boring but then afterwards your like, "Shit this song is in my head.. Owww I like her hair.. And her make up." The next day your a Stan... She dragged me in with her AlliLana powers

The thing is, what is not to like? For me, I love her voice.. It's just so different, I love her fashion, her style, the culture she is infatuated with that I never really paid attention too. She just unique. When I first heard her, you think she's boring but then afterwards your like, "Shit this song is in my head.. Owww I like her hair.. And her make up." The next day your a Stan... She dragged me in with her AlliLana powers

When I first heard her I loathed her mumbling / moaning that is her "singing", but the more I listened to it, the more I fell for it. I think that's a problem a lot of people have, unfortunately.

royalan

Well, I'll start by saying I disagree about Beyoncé's range. A fully supported, three-and-a-third octave range is rare in pop music. She has a bigger connected range than Whitney did, and (frankly) she makes regular use of a bigger connected range than Mariah usually did (simply because Mariah very rarely used her connected head voice, and never had Beyoncé's facility with it). She certainly has her comfort zone in a mezzo tessitura, but her range is exceptional.

Maybe in mainstream Pop. Beyonce's range isn't rare at all if we go into R&B, and especially if we go back into the 90s.

Oh, please. You sound like someone arguing that I Will Always Love You isn't very hard; you just have to be loud.

But I would never say that. You need incredible breath support to sing I Will Always Love You the way Whitney did.

I'd like to first stipulate that there is a difference between a song being complex and difficult in the abstract, and a vocalist's ability to fully to justice to those difficulties. I was not arguing that Christina didn't have any songs with technical challenges; I was arguing that she fails at what I see as the basics of vocal production - producing a free, open, and supported tone. Beyoncé is able to meet those standards while singing songs as difficult as Love On Top; Christina is only able to reach that standard intermittently (e.g. Beautiful Acapella, and only most of it), and never on material anywhere near as difficult.

I would also like to point out that you clearly have not listened to Love On Top in awhile if you argue that Ain't No Other Man requires control, timing, and flexibility whereas Love On Top just requires you to sing the same lines repeatedly at progressively higher pitches. Love On Top requires flexibility in the head voice, coordination of registers, difficult registration transitions (head / chest transitions are more difficult to perform seamlessly while maintaining support), flexibility in the chest voice and in the lower register (and runs that go comfortably from the middle register into head voice), repeated phrasing on D5 and E5,

I'll give you that the shifting tempo and more varied phrasing on Ain't No Other Man is impressive - but none of those phrasing issues are beyond what Beyoncé has shown the ability to do before. Meanwhile, Christina struggles with singing in a high tessitura even at the peak of her powers. You cannot credibly make the argument that Beyoncé could not do justice to Ain't No Other Man, or that Christina could sing Love On Top.

Well, firstly, I don't think Love on Top is a difficult song to sing. Mostly because the song is incredibly basic, even boring, until you get to the finale. Jumping registers isn't that impressive (unless you're doing more than one in a single line, then that's impressive, but that "baby baby it's youuuuu" is child's play, especially since she's already singing at a high volume, which makes jumping registers much easier to do). I think Beyonce has more impressive songs in her catalog. Personally, I would point to "I Care" if I needed a song from 4 to show off Beyonce's ability. I realize that this is just my opinion, though.

I never argued that Christina could sing Love On Top. The song is beyond her range. However, I do think Christina's catalog features a more varied and complex listing of songs than Beyonce's, and that has nothing to do with what Beyonce could technically do. Besides, what does it really matter what Beyonce could technically do? She rarely does it. I mean, how many songs does Beyonce have that's as complex and dynamic from start to finish as Ain't No Other Man or Loving Me for Me? And don't point to Countdown in which Beyonce's pretty much rapping more than singing (nor can she do it justice live). Overall, Beyonce's songs can be described as basic, but grounded by impressive moments that give you a glimpse of her true ability.

I think this has a lot to do with why, despite her superior ability, Beyonce does not have a reputation as one of the world's Great Vocalists (in the same way that Mariah, Whitney, and Celine have), nor does her catalog have songs that would be considered timeless. She's a talented, but unadventurous singer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom