• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Seconded. Pure Heroine is amazing.

I like the album but it lacks something. I don't feel like listening the album as often as I do with others.

EXTRA
rs_600x600-131016114010-600-rita-ora-rainbow.ls.101613_copy.jpg

2095c354.gif
2095c354.gif
2095c354.gif

Gaga even gaining a spot on the billboard charts though. Even when the song isn't that great, the public is still here for ha. That impact.

Also Beyonce is allegedly waiting these other girls out before releasing her single because she wants everyone's undivided attention for when she makes her glorious return to the charts. Expect an early December single.

Trigger

Gaga even gaining a spot on the billboard charts though. Even when the song isn't that great, the public is still here for ha. That impact.

Also Beyonce is allegedly waiting these other girls out before releasing her single because she wants everyone's undivided attention for when she makes her glorious return to the charts. Expect an early January single.

I'm perched.

cory64

Mariah and All I Want For Xmas Is You will be back to slay as per.

Bieber is trying to snatch her Xmas wig again with his SECOND movie in 2 years. A desperate mess. Mariah remains unbothered.

edit:
Chart News ‏@chartnews 26s
US digital sales: @KatyPerry's Roar tops the 3 million mark in just nine weeks, faster than any other song in digital history.

Zutroy

Now that I've had a few listens...

Living+for+the+Weekend+Official+Album+Cover++PNG.png

What About Us
spiderman.gif

Disco Love
spiderman.gif

Gentleman
smiley-sleep011.gif

Leave A Light On
spiderman.gif

Not Giving Up
spiderman.gif

Lease My Love
spiderman.gif

30 Days
spiderman.gif

Anywhere With You
smiley-sleep011.gif

Problem With Love
spiderman.gif

You Don't Have The Right
smiley-sleep011.gif

Don't Let Me Dance Alone
spiderman.gif

Somebody Else's Life
spiderman.gif

Wildfire
spiderman.gif

Basically it's full of jams. Go buy.

cory64

US digital sales: Love The Way You Lie by @Eminem Feat. @rihanna tops the 6 million mark this week. It's the best-seller for both acts.

Legend.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
That Y.A.L.A Snippet is fire!

Touchdown

Banned
Katy name-dropping Mariah in This Is How We Do, and taking Mariah as inspiration for Birthday.

The queen ha impact on the new pop princess.
ec20fb7f.gif

Artemisia

Banned
That Y.A.L.A Snippet is fire!

I wasn't even going to listen to it, but I guess I will now

Katy name-dropping Mariah in This Is How We Do, and taking Mariah as inspiration for Birthday.

The queen ha impact on the new pop princess.
ec20fb7f.gif

Wait, Birthday was the song she said that 'Mariah would have put on her first record'?

Katy girl................ you know Mariah can't write melodies that well.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Now that I've had a few listens...

Living+for+the+Weekend+Official+Album+Cover++PNG.png

What About Us
spiderman.gif

Disco Love
spiderman.gif

Gentleman
smiley-sleep011.gif

Leave A Light On
spiderman.gif

Not Giving Up
spiderman.gif

Lease My Love
spiderman.gif

30 Days
spiderman.gif

Anywhere With You
smiley-sleep011.gif

Problem With Love
spiderman.gif

You Don't Have The Right
smiley-sleep011.gif

Don't Let Me Dance Alone
spiderman.gif

Somebody Else's Life
spiderman.gif

Wildfire
spiderman.gif

Basically it's full of jams. Go buy.

Yes, stan the Saturslays.

Tho not you giving Gentleman a flop rating, that song is a jam.

The Y.A.L.A. snippet snatches a follicle or two which automatically makes it better than anything else I've heard form Matangi. Apart from Bad Girls of course which is still a scalper.

Mumei

Maybe in mainstream Pop. Beyonce's range isn't rare at all if we go into R&B, and especially if we go back into the 90s.

Well, a three octave or more range is not that rare, I agree. Rihanna has a three octave range on her last album!

But I'm not saying her range is exceptional in terms of "note to note"; I'm saying it is exceptional (in popular music) to have an even scale throughout a range that large. There are vanishingly few singers who have a connected, evenly supported range nearly that large. For instance, if you think about other singers with big ranges - Leona Lewis (C#3 - F6), or Kelly Clarkson (C3 - G6), or whoever - you'll find that their lower registers are essentially nonexistent, their falsetto is disconnected, and what you're left with is maybe an octave and a half to two octaves of truly connected range. In that context, singers like Beyonce (G#2 - Eb6 (... I think)), Mariah (F#2 - D6), or Whitney (C#3 - C#6) with huge connected and evenly supported ranges are much more impressive.

It's the combination of quantity and consistency through the range that is impressive, in other words. And you're probably right that we'd find a lot more singers who meet that mark as we venture outside of pop music, but it would still constitute a fairly elite group.

But I would never say that. You need incredible breath support to sing I Will Always Love You the way Whitney did.

Well, yes. You are sensible about Whitney!

Well, firstly, I don't think Love on Top is a difficult song to sing. Mostly because the song is incredibly basic, even boring, until you get to the finale. Jumping registers isn't that impressive (unless you're doing more than one in a single line, then that's impressive, but that "baby baby it's youuuuu" is child's play, especially since she's already singing at a high volume, which makes jumping registers much easier to do). I think Beyonce has more impressive songs in her catalog. Personally, I would point to "I Care" if I needed a song from 4 to show off Beyonce's ability. I realize that this is just my opinion, though.

There's a difference between how "interesting" something is and how "difficult" it is.

I Care would be a better song for demonstrating her melismatic ability and flexibility in her upper register, but it doesn't require nearly as much of her middle voice. You're not giving her nearly enough credit for the difficulty of those modulation shifts, when she's switching into a connected head voice while not dropping support. That's not easy to do. One of the reasons Mariah, for instance, has never done that is because nodules make it more difficult to make those kinds of transitions. And I'm not saying that singing, "Baby, baby, it's [register switch] you" is difficult when I do it. Yes, even I can make that transition when singing it in falsetto, though it is horrifically off-key and unlistenable. Rihanna would laugh at me. It's tragic, truly. But that's not the same as what she's doing.

This is Maria Callas doing a seamless glissando from C4 to C#6. You can't do this while going from chest to falsetto (though you can disguise some of the "break") because falsetto is not truly connected, so it is something of an apples to oranges comparison.

I never argued that Christina could sing Love On Top. The song is beyond her range. However, I do think Christina's catalog features a more varied and complex listing of songs than Beyonce's, and that has nothing to do with what Beyonce could technically do. Besides, what does it really matter what Beyonce could technically do? She rarely does it. I mean, how many songs does Beyonce have that's as complex and dynamic from start to finish as Ain't No Other Man or Loving Me for Me? And don't point to Countdown in which Beyonce's pretty much rapping more than singing (nor can she do it justice live). Overall, Beyonce's songs can be described as basic, but grounded by impressive moments that give you a glimpse of her true ability.

Well, you seem to be taking a different approach than I am. You start with the song itself, and try to point out elements that make the song innately difficult - varied delivery and shifting tempo, for the most part - and present those elements as things that make the song dynamic and complex. I am starting from the standpoint that the performance of the vocalist is the standard that is set. So, yes, if you look at Love On Top on paper, it may not look as complex or as difficult as some other songs. But if you stipulate - as I do - that doing the song "correctly" means that you sing it the way the original artist sang it.

And the same argument you are making for Love On Top could be made for I Will Always Love You. On paper it is not an incredibly difficult song. It has a rather limited range - just over two octaves, and most of it is sung in a much more limited range than that - and the biggest notes are only a series of B4. There's a reason why people sing it on talent shows and get away with it. It's the perfect Whitney song for making the deluded think you hit the mark, frankly. But it is singing it the way Whitney sang it that makes it a tremendously difficult song to do justice for - singing those lines on only a single breath while maintaining so much support, singing with such dynamics, the control needed to do the melisma, especially in the opening lines, etc.

I think this has a lot to do with why, despite her superior ability, Beyonce does not have a reputation as one of the world's Great Vocalists (in the same way that Mariah, Whitney, and Celine have), nor does her catalog have songs that would be considered timeless. She's a talented, but unadventurous singer.

I don't know how you can listen to the sheer variety of phrasing she uses alone (or pay attention to the difficulty of her catalog, holistically speaking) and argue that she's unadventurous. I agree that she's not Mariah (or Whitney), but she's lightyears ahead of Celine in that regard.

I don't know why she has not been embraced as the premier vocal talent of her generation the way that Whitney was for hers, or Mariah was for hers, or Celine for a brief time after that. It may be that much of her most popular music does not showcase her voice the way songs like I Will Always Love You, Vision of Love, Emotions, or The Power of Love did for the other three. It may be that there is a tendency to demarcate between those artists who rely on sex / controversy for their appeal and those who rely on talent, and Beyoncé's willingness to use her sex appeal causes some people to categorize her as one of the former and not the latter. This incidentally is a problem that Lady Gaga also faces when it comes to people having less respect for her vocal talents, musicianship, or seriousness as an artist than they ought. It may be that Beyoncé does not have the sort of voice that commands the sort of je ne sais quois wow factor that some other vocalists have. It may be that, unlike, the other two, Beyoncé did not appear out of nowhere with a preternaturally gifted voice that changed the direction of the industry and set other record companies looking for their own clones. She began her career proper as part of a girl group, and while she was the strongest vocalist of the group she was not nearly as good as she became later. Perhaps first impressions matter, and her first impression was of a solid, competent, but unincredible vocalist.

I don't really know. But unadventurous isn't it.

Katy girl................ you know Mariah can't write melodies that well.

Please.

Mariah has iconic melodies. You were a fetus when Mariah was popular and you still know the melodies to her most popular singles.

royalan

Well, a three octave or more range is not that rare, I agree. Rihanna has a three octave range on her last album!

But I'm not saying her range is exceptional in terms of "note to note"; I'm saying it is exceptional (in popular music) to have an even scale throughout a range that large. There are vanishingly few singers who have a connected, evenly supported range nearly that large. For instance, if you think about other singers with big ranges - Leona Lewis (C#3 - F6), or Kelly Clarkson (C3 - G6), or whoever - you'll find that their lower registers are essentially nonexistent, their falsetto is disconnected, and what you're left with is maybe an octave and a half to two octaves of truly connected range. In that context, singers like Beyonce (G#2 - Eb6 (... I think)), Mariah (F#2 - D6), or Whitney (C#3 - C#6) with huge connected and evenly supported ranges are much more impressive.

It's the combination of quantity and consistency through the range that is impressive, in other words. And you're probably right that we'd find a lot more singers who meet that mark as we venture outside of pop music, but it would still constitute a fairly elite group.

Well, yes. You are sensible about Whitney!

There's a difference between how "interesting" something is and how "difficult" it is.

I Care would be a better song for demonstrating her melismatic ability and flexibility in her upper register, but it doesn't require nearly as much of her middle voice. You're not giving her nearly enough credit for the difficulty of those modulation shifts, when she's switching into a connected head voice while not dropping support. That's not easy to do. One of the reasons Mariah, for instance, has never done that is because nodules make it more difficult to make those kinds of transitions. And I'm not saying that singing, "Baby, baby, it's [register switch] you" is difficult when I do it. Yes, even I can make that transition when singing it in falsetto, though it is horrifically off-key and unlistenable. Rihanna would laugh at me. It's tragic, truly. But that's not the same as what she's doing.

This is Maria Callas doing a seamless glissando from C4 to C#6. You can't do this while going from chest to falsetto (though you can disguise some of the "break") because falsetto is not truly connected.

Well, you seem to be taking a different approach than I am. You start with the song itself, and try to point out elements that make the song innately difficult - varied delivery and shifting tempo, for the most part - and present those elements as things that make the song dynamic and complex. I am starting from the standpoint that the performance of the vocalist is the standard that is set. So, yes, if you look at Love On Top on paper, it may not look as complex or as difficult as some other songs. But if you stipulate - as I do - that doing the song "correctly" means that you sing it the way the original artist sang it.

And the same argument you are making for Love On Top could be made for I Will Always Love You. On paper it is not an incredibly difficult song. It has a rather limited range - just over two octaves, and most of it is sung in a much more limited range than that - and the biggest notes are only a series of B4. There's a reason why people sing it on talent shows and get away with it. It's the perfect Whitney song for making the deluded think you hit the mark, frankly. But it is singing it the way Whitney sang it that makes it a tremendously difficult song to do justice for - singing those lines on only a single breath while maintaining so much support, singing with such dynamics, the control needed to do the melisma, especially in the opening lines, etc.

I don't know how you can listen to the sheer variety of phrasing she uses alone (or pay attention to the difficulty of her catalog, holistically speaking) and argue that she's unadventurous. I agree that she's not Mariah (or Whitney), but she's lightyears ahead of Celine in that regard.

I don't know why she has not been embraced as the premier vocal talent of her generation the way that Whitney was for hers, or Mariah was for hers, or Celine for a brief time after that. It may be that much of her most popular music does not showcase her voice the way songs like I Will Always Love You, Vision of Love, Emotions, or The Power of Love did for the other three. It may be that there is a tendency to demarcate between those artists who rely on sex / controversy for their appeal and those who rely on talent, and Beyoncé's willingness to use her sex appeal causes some people to categorize her as one of the former and not the latter. This incidentally is a problem that Lady Gaga also faces when it comes to people having less respect for her vocal talents, musicianship, or seriousness as an artist than they ought. It may be that Beyoncé does not have the sort of voice that commands the sort of je ne sais quois wow factor that some other vocalists have. It may be that, unlike, the other two, Beyoncé did not appear out of nowhere with a preternaturally gifted voice that changed the direction of the industry and set other record companies looking for their own clones. She began her career proper as part of a girl group, and while she was the strongest vocalist of the group she was not nearly as good as she became later. Perhaps first impressions matter, and her first impression was of a solid, competent, but unincredible vocalist.

I don't really know. But unadventurous isn't it.

Please.

Mariah has iconic melodies. You were a fetus when Mariah was popular and you still know the melodies to her most popular singles.

I knew when I didn't get a response within an hour I was going to get a multi-page #clapback. I'll be reading this on the bus on my way home. ;)

Mumei

I knew when I didn't get a response within an hour I was going to get a multi-page #clapback. I'll be reading this on the bus on my way home. ;)

Please, I was at work when you posted that. I just did that in forty five minutes, and it wouldn't have taken so long if I didn't agonize over how to word things. ;)

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Maybe Venus was bumped to official single and Gypsy is now the promo
Or it might be Aura considering we already have the lyric vid

Bladenic

I'll listen to Katy soon I guess.

But who gives a fuck, ARTPOP promo single omgggg

Unless she's confused, Venus comes out Friday. But if we get 2 songs in 1 week I will be overcome. ARTPOP is drawing ever closer.

Matt_

nooo if gypsy is a promo single theres no chance for it to be a real single :(

Could be edge of gloried. Although I'm not sure how that would work with all the scheduling

LAWD if its G.U.Y I will be deceased

I bet Gaga is calling Venus a promo single, but I don't understand why she would do that. Labeling any song as a promo single kind of tarnishes it a bit, imo. We shall see.

valeo

She's just unapologetically "intellectual," which will serve her well in five years after she has all but retired from the business and joined Sky Ferreira in the "half pence for your deep thoughts" conga line.

Which is no bad thing - need people like that to balance out the long line of airheads.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
P!nk ‏@Pink 2m
Both shows rescheduled and very quickly. Touring would be terribly easy if I lip synced. See you soon xo

Who is she aiming that at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom