• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
please let it be ARTPOP
52b0f867.gif

this
52b0f867.gif
It sounds like it will be the best song on the album

3phemeral

I just listened to all those streamed Prism songs and while writing individual track reviews, it occurred to me that they all have the same weakness: interesting production with weak/uninteresting vocals. Key songs that suffer from such an uninspired delivery are:

Legendary Lovers
Walking On Air
Unconditionally
This Moment
Double Rainbow
By the Grace of God

Songs that are cute:
Dark Horse
This Moment
It Takes Two
Spiritual

Birthday - Don't hear how it's inspired by MC at all.
This is How We Do - This one actually seems more Mariah-inspired than Birthday. Reminds me of More Than Just Friends.
International Smile - sounds like a lot of her previous songs.

I think Spiritual is the closest thing to good enough for me to wanting a purchase and maaaybe Dark Horse. But the rest are pretty unremarkable for my tastes.

OchreHand

I never found Katy Perry an amazing vocalist but her vocal ability holds back the material on this album. "Choose Your Battles" would have been incredible if it was sung by someone like Kelly Clarkson

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I never found Katy Perry an amazing vocalist but her vocal ability holds back the material on this album. "Choose Your Battles" would have been incredible if it was sung by someone like Kelly Clarkson
Katy Perry vocals worked best on the pop rock ish style of One Of The Boys and good on Teenage Dream era. She remains a studio Artist with good marketing push cause if she didnt had the team she has now she wouldnt be as big as she is now. We know her live vocals aint the selling point.. She is not even decent live.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
waiT. Choose Your Battles shits and slays lives.

But La Perra's vocals certainly hold it back, and I still prefer Legendary Lovers.

jfHyk4H.gif
Kelly Clarkson or Pink would have done better. Then again almost everyone can do better than KP

3phemeral

True, but there are tracks that do compliment her vocal, like Teenage Dream, California Girls, even Firework. There's something missing with the synergy of her voice and these tracks that make me feel like there was meant to be more to it than what she's delivering.

Top three most likely promo singles for next week:

1) Do What You Want - She talked about it today on a few of her radio interviews, and seems really excited about it. Plus since it's a definitive R&B track, on the off chance that it becomes popular it won't necessarily jeopardize Venus' radio play.

2) ARTPOP - Goes along with the tweet itself if you want to read it literally, plus it's the perfect kind of song that provides accurate promotion for the album itself, but is safe from becoming a huge smash given that it's not a very accessible song for radio. It's a win for buzz, and a win for Venus.

3) Aura - The lyric video's out, and it has the excuse of being tied to a movie release so that it doesn't come off as over-crowded given Venus' impending release. If you look at this from a business standpoint, she should release this one.

And Mumei hit the nail on the head regarding why Beyonce isn't known for her voice. She came from humble beginnings in the vocal department and she deliberately let her dancing overpower her vocal gravitas for the first half of her career so far. And since she wasn't really using her voice to its fullest in DC (the time when she really blew up), people weren't wowed by it from the beginning.

It's really funny (and common) when I see people to this day say things like "wow Beyonce actually has a good voice." Christina rose to fame under the illusion that her voice was front and center, and even now when her voice has completely fallen apart people still listen to her and assume her voice is still great. Beyonce's had difficulty conveying her vocal talents to the mainstream but I commend her for working her ass off to try though.

announcements with an S and a bunch of radio interviews tmrw

omg what is happening
52b0f867.gif

Sis the radio station she's interviewing with tomorrow morning confirmed that she's revealing big "ARTPOP news" and they have her for the whole morning. 8 am EST/7 am CT. She said "look for important announcements/dates" like twice already so I'm guessing either 1) ARTPOP Ball information, 2) ArtRave information, 3) app news, or 4) some crazy "WE'RE MOVING THE ALBUM RELEASE FORWARD" announcement. lol

"Choose Your Battles" would have been incredible if it was sung by someone like Kelly Clarkson

Yaaaaaas another Kelly stan. It would have been even better, yes, but I love Katy's version and vocals on it.

Please stay.

waiT. Choose Your Battles shits and slays lives.

But La Perra's vocals certainly hold it back, and I still prefer Legendary Lovers.

jfHyk4H.gif

I'm not sure that's good enough

jfHyk4H.gif

Are you saying you don't actually believe that?
in4DgNxeI3Yit.jpg

I'm biased towards Fennekin but I don't have the game yet so that may change.

Mau ®

Has Rihanna's What Now official cover been posted?

It's trash but I love how she looks in it. It's the video's look. Apparently the theme is inspired by Thailand's ghost stories. The video was shot there while she was on tour.

Yado

If we're in love we should make love
When will we be lovers?

iqvT8fAylwPGF.gif

Ravage me Roisin
ibhBf1SN5P83U7.png

Mau ®;86342047 said:
Has Rihanna's What Now official cover been posted?

It's trash but I love how she looks in it. It's the video's look. Apparently the theme is inspired by Thailand's ghost stories. The video was shot there while she was on tour.

Nice mullet, Rih.

Nemesis_

I am watching American Horror Story on some ghetto stream at the moment so I can't watch it properly. I listened to it but it was mixed with an advertisement for shingles medication so I am not sure I have the right experience with it to judge it properly.

>_>

royalan

Do what you want, what you want with my BODY!

ibkN99V0UGxxLk.gif

From now on, I'm not calling this album ARTPOP. I'm calling it The Fame Pt. 2.

EVERYTHING just feels like a grand return to that eclectic, fierce, saucy pop energy from that album. Everything feels so fun, so effortless...

Mumei

And Mumei hit the nail on the head regarding why Beyonce isn't known for her voice. She came from humble beginnings in the vocal department and she deliberately let her dancing overpower her vocal gravitas for the first half of her career so far. And since she wasn't really using her voice to its fullest in DC (the time when she really blew up), people weren't wowed by it from the beginning.

Well, I was hitting everything that resembled a nail in my attempts to explain the discrepancy, so something had to make sense!

And to be perfectly honest, a lot of those things described my views on her. I thought of her in the context of her being a former girl group member who struck out on her own and made it big. On some level I probably also wondered about whether she would have been as big if she'd had to start on her own. But I definitely didn't think of her as a noteworthy vocalist until I watched that video BZBlaner made - and going into it, I thought it was almost a joke.

I was pleasantly surprised! I started paying more attention to her / listening to more of her stuff after this, and I've been impressed ever since.

If you say her name two more times, you'll summon an essay from Roy explaining why you're wrong.

And we don't want that. Gaga has him on her side finally and I don't want that ruined with some thinly veiled Christina bait. Lol

This does sound right up Christina's alley though. Such a fucking JAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom