• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

ok... PRISM shits.
itMe9rhvx5e0G.gif
Not Katy giving Gaga, Triley and the other gurls FREE vocational training.
iO1nknJnS6Zzu.gif
I might have to start stanning this bitch.
iKOTuD4Gvd9uP.gif

Bonnie McKee has a new video out for her latest song Sleepwalker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-97RuXFHQ

Michael Jackson tried.

Walking Dead's #impact, tbh

I find Bonnie McKee incredibly boring.

Sorry sis.

She's fallen into a classic songwriter trap. All her music sounds like Teenage Dream b-sides which isn't very surprising considering how heavily involved she was in writing for that album. And if I want to listen to that, I'll just go listen to La Perra.

Ester Dean suffered the same fate thanks to most of her songs sounding like sub par Rihanna songs.

I find Bonnie McKee incredibly boring.

Sorry sis.
Hehe, no problem.

I find Sleepwalker to be just okay, and the video is horrible. I just wanted to post something, and that's all I could find at the moment, lol. I adored her first record she released years ago. Somebody still slays me to this day. I don't have high hopes for her upcoming record, though. I think she gave her best songs to Katy.

Yado

Here am I
Looking for a lover to climb inside
Waiting like a flower to open wide
I'm in bloom

Here I lie
Lying like a flower with no more time
Waiting for another to come inside
I'm in bloom

ibEmeFWyIwSIJ.gif

I feel you Natasha
iKOTuD4Gvd9uP.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Never knew I could see something so clearly looking through my third eye
Never knew karma could be so rewarding and bring me to your life
Maybe this is the beginning of something so magical, tonight

TAKE ME DOWN TO THE RIVER

UNDERNEATH THE BLOOD ORANGE SUN

SAY MY NAME LIKE A SCRIPTURE

KEEP MY HEART BEATING LIKE A DRUM

LEGENDARY LOVERS

WE COULD BE LEGENDARY

LA LA LA LA LA

dhj4ymyii.gif

Never knew I could see something so clearly looking through my third eye
Never knew karma could be so rewarding and bring me to your life
Maybe this is the beginning of something so magical, tonight

TAKE ME DOWN TO THE RIVER

UNDERNEATH THE BLOOD ORANGE SUN

SAY MY NAME LIKE A SCRIPTURE

KEEP MY HEART BEATING LIKE A DRUM

LEGENDARY LOVERS

WE COULD BE LEGENDARY

LA LA LA LA LA

Stan the best song on PRISM.
Besides Spiritual.

dhj4ymyii.gif

I didn't want Katy to slay me in any way possible, but I just listened to Choose Your Battles and I'm impressed. Gonna listen to the rest of the album tomorrow.

ARTPOP streaming on the 4th.

ibgcheifUdwVq2.gif

We are not worthy T_T
I'm going to resist this. I want to keep the 5 tracks I haven't heard yet as a surprise for when I get the CD. I wish she would do another pop music emergency and release the album early.

So give it to me like I want it
This is for your eyes only
Rock me out
Back and forth
Rock me out
On the floor

Give it to me like I need it
You know how to make me feel it
Rock me out
More and more
Rock me out
On the floor
Yeahhhhhhhh

dhj4ymyii.gif

Mau ®

And now you're just a Ghost.
When I look back never would've known that

Not Katheryn describing my personal life right now. PRISM is Ok-ish. Loses a lot of steam midway through.

katy_perry_prism_butterfly_promo_shot_640x360.jpg

I love pop music. I love it because it's a genre that is, at its core, meant to bring together the most loved qualities of its neighboring genres and smushing them together into one beautiful, perfect alien. The interesting thing about pop music, however, is that if its neighboring genres don't evolve, then it won't either. Pop music as a life force depends entirely on its adjacent genres because without them there is no reference point; no qualities to smash, and no alien to make.

One can argue that pop music has hit that point in the last couple of years, and while many adjacent genres have weaved in and out of mainstream relevance the contents of those genres have remained relatively static. There has been very little revolution (or even evolution) in rock, R&B and country; only small refinements along the way. Electronic music, interestingly, is probably the only major genre that's been shapeshifting its own identity, but its more experimental evolutions haven't affected the pop scene quite as much as it should.

In other words, pop music has reached a point now where everyone has sort of rested on formula and structure. That's not necessarily a bad thing (and in many cases is actually quite necessary since it enforces a sort of one-upmanship that leads to better quality songs), but when material starts resting on similar qualities across the board, we begin to rely so much more on the musician behind the microphone to take that formula and make it feel new again.

I would like to say this very true statement: Katy Perry and her team of writers and producers have discovered, unequivocally, how to make perfect pop songs. In the game of one-upmanship Katy Perry and her team have that formula down PAT. They've discovered how to merge the right chords with the right hook, how to weave the right vocals in and out at the right times and how to pace the song so that it's tense at its high points and vulnerable at its low points.

So by the criteria above, Prism is a perfect pop album.

And therein lies the problem with Prism. It has no dimension. It's an album that spent all nighters studying pop music and how to perfect it, but in doing so it forgot why pop music is what it is. The lesson I learned with Prism is that when you let pop music be comfortable in its own universe, it loses itself a bit. This album is filled with so many by-the-numbers pop tunes I ended up wondering what the point of it all was.

Katy Perry seems to be saying everything and nothing in Prism. She seemed more comfortable letting those great hooks do their work than realizing that, as the ship's captain, you need to steer those hooks with your commanding presence. If you don't, you as the headline gets lost in the contents of your work and you end up just not mattering. Katy Perry might as well have not shown up.

And that's honestly always been my problem with Katy Perry. I can't help feeling with these songs that she and her team wanted to make an album that can be so easily consumed and digested by the buying public that they didn't bother focusing on an artistic motive or any long-lasting reverence. These perfectly glistened songs are like supermodels you see at the bar; they attract you on the most shallow and least challenging level, but once you get closer you realize that they're actually quite hollow inside.

I end up trying to stop myself from investing much of my energy as a listener into these songs because I find them hollow. Something about Katy's delivery is so strangely predictable and un-nuanced that even her most vulnerable material to date (Unconditionally, Love Me, Grace of God… barring Thinking Of You of course) comes off as cookie cutter. Even during her slightly edgier moments like Dark Horse, I find myself guessing the next chord, vocal riff or melodic transition before it happens because Katy as the ship captain doesn't inspire much confidence otherwise. She has charisma, but doesn't have edge, uniqueness, or even any IMPACT on her own songs.

There are many songs that excel even when Katy tries to hold them back, like the 90s dance-inspired Walking On Air, which is very formula but still wonderful if only because it's a perfect emulation of a style I just genuinely miss. And I suppose that's another point to make here, which is that Katy's presence is so unimpactful on Prism that the very obvious reference points she uses in her songs become all the more obvious. You can hear some Cyndi Lauper, C+C Music Factory, Technotronic, Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue and even Robyn sprinkled through Katy's vocal delivery and production choices… and she seems unable to take those influences and channel them into something completely her own. Even worse, it reminds us that the references she tries to emulate are still better than her own emulations, which makes most of these thinly veiled throwbacks that much harder to listen to. Birthday sounds like a song that has already existed a few hundred times, and Katy's version probably wouldn't rank on any "all-time" list of 70s-disco-throwback songs.

Prism may have big tits and perfect skin, but when it opens its mouth to speak you realize that there isn't much else there. It's pop music for the sake of being pop music, and when there's no purpose here other than to glisten and be perfect, you're probably not going to make the impact you want to make. Prism will sell well because it's designed to sell well, and that is probably the closest thing to any "influence" the album might have on Katy's contemporaries now or in the future. C

Favorite tracks: Walking On Air, Legendary Lovers

Soulscribe= zero lies

PRISM is Perfect Pop souless Perfect Pop, but I don't care because by the middle of almost every song you find yourself singing along.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
All Soulscribe says doesn't matter! Cause Katy has bigger boobs than all our faves and we have seen them, and talk about em and when you have bigger boobs you win at life!
iba6Mv96bJumIA.gif

I bought some Halloween lights the other day to decorate my room, so I feel semi-festive enough for this sleighage. Also I'm going to make sure this song is in the playlist of every Halloween party I go to this year; people are just going to have to deal

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh at neogaf being compromised. My password reset and email change didn't even work /shrug

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Lady Gaga ‏@ladygaga 2h
I cant help the way I'm feelin'
Goddess of Love please take me to your leader! #VENUSLyrics

Lady Gaga ‏@ladygaga 2h
72 hrs till #DoWhatUWant feat. R Kelly release. 7 days till VenusSnippet. 9 days till #Venus release. Arouse the universe ARTPOP is coming!

Lady Gaga ‏@ladygaga 2h
25daysTillARTPOP 'when you touch me I die, just a little inside, I wonder if this could be love, this could be love' #VENUSLyrics

Can't work out a tune in my head for Venus at all

I CAN'T FUNCTION.

Kelly girl... you slay me so.

PRESENTS, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT
DON'T MEAN A THING IF YOU AIN'T HOLDING ME TIGHT
YOU'RE ALL THAT I NEED
UNDERNEATH THE TREE

iQ9LxsNk2L1hD.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom