• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Lady Gaga ‏@ladygaga 4m
@briangliboff love me love me please retweet

It's actually retweet and not retreat?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
tumblr_muv6vbItcQ1qdmb8eo3_500.jpg

tumblr_muv6vbItcQ1qdmb8eo2_500.jpg

iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

iIHGN2qWS0jeP.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Arctic Monkeys' AM is busy racing up my provisional AOTY list. Crazy considering I'd written them off years ago. Their sound has truly matured and evolved, much like Vampire Weekend, and unlike the third albums of some artists.

Why do I feel like the "Mary" in that album title isn't so much a pun as it is just her spelling "merry" wrong. Lol

And she looks so concerned about Christmas!

A Mary Christmas is already out? :air:

The Holiday season doesn't start until Billboard says so.

n7eD9sH.jpg

Cradling a cherry red guitar and decked in a tartan plaid dress, poinsettia jacket and matching studded, strappy heels, Kelly Clarkson isn't exactly soft-pedaling her upcoming holiday album, "Wrapped in Red." And it hardly matters that Halloween is still weeks away. For the past year, Clarkson has had Christmas on her mind.

Conversations about Clarkson's sixth studio effort being a Christmas album started last December, and recording with Greg Kurstin-who produced Clarkson's 1.1 million-selling Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" and the four hits on P!nk's "The Truth About Love," which has sold 1.8 million, according to Nielsen SoundScan-began in May. RCA is shipping a half-million total units for pre-order on Amazon.com and Target.com.

For Clarkson, the disc represented a chance to break free of expectations. "I've been dying to make a Christmas album," she says, speaking in a high-octane pitch that telegraphs her enthusiasm about the project, which includes both originals and some twists on classics. "I always get asked what genre I'm in: 'Is this country or pop or rock? What are you?'" she says. "And what's cool about making the Christmas album was, 'Oh, there are no limitations! We can do whatever we want!'"

For RCA, the album is part of an all-out holiday assault during which the label will release not just Wrapped in Red but also the soundtracks to "Black Nativity," starring Jennifer Hudson, and "The Best Man Holiday," which features R. Kelly, Fantasia and Mario, and a Leona Lewis collection that puts a Motown spin on Christmas songs.

But the label has "Wrapped in Red" pegged as the one that will cross all formats and become a new holiday classic, boosted by Clarkson's NBC holiday special, "Kelly Clarkson's (Cautionary) Christmas Tale," in early December. "It's our main release this season," RCA VP of marketing Aaron Borns says. "The angle on this album is that, like all great Christmas records, it's about amazing vocal performances. That's what this is intended to be-an album launched this year but timeless and genre-defying."

"It's all over the map," Clarkson adds. "But in a good way."

"Wrapped in Red" covers lots of ground, from the Spector-sounding first single "Underneath the Tree" to the closing a cappella version of "Silent Night" with Reba McEntire and Trisha Yearwood. In between, there's a grab bag of covers. Some, like "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "My Favorite Things," may seem like the hallmark of all holiday albums. But others, like Imogen Heap's "Just for Now," aren't.

"I just love that song," Clarkson says. "That was my family Christmas-highly dysfunctional, like, 'Can we just stop for like five minutes and have like a normal Christmas setting?'" To balance the drama, Clarkson offers the kitschy "Four Carats," an original she calls a cross between Eartha Kitt's "Santa Baby" and Madonna's "Material Girl." And there's a love song, "Winter Dreams"-which features a 50-piece orchestra-written for fiancé Brandon Blackstock, with whom she's eloping sometime before the holidays. But the biggest surprise is "Underneath the Tree," an optimistic tune that has Clarkson powering through Darlene Love-style vocals.

The only theme is in the title -- red. "There's just something about it that represents so many deep emotions, whether it's love or lust or envy or pain or beauty," she says. One could say the same for her personality-which also will be on full display when her NBC special airs. The show is the album's main marketing tool. And for Clarkson, whose career was launched on the first season of "American Idol" in 2002, the medium no doubt will help sell the songs-just as it has for artists like Michael Buble and Blake Shelton.

"Kelly Clarkson's (Cautionary) Christmas Tale" will be part comedy, part musical performances, the latter of which is taping in front of a live audience on Oct. 30 at the Venetian in Las Vegas. Tickets went on sale Oct. 15 through Venetian.com, and fans can also win tickets through radio station contests.

"I love [the Will Ferrell movie] 'Elf,'" Clarkson says. "I wanted to tell a real story, make a new classic, not just do some skits that aren't really related." It also will highlight performances with some of the album's guests, like McEntire-her future mother-in-law-Yearwood and Ronnie Dunn.

"This will feature a full narrative with a beginning, middle and end," says Ian Stewart, co-founder of Dun and Dusted, the production company producing "Kelly Clarkson's (Cautionary) Christmas Tale." "And the spine is her singing. We'll have a young girl, narrating the story, sitting in an overstuffed chair in front of an amazing fire, reading the story from a book. And yes, it starts with 'once upon a time' and ends with 'happily ever after.'"

RCA is shooting a video for the first single, "Underneath the Tree," and the label also plans to take some of the show's performances and turn them into videos. "Songs, like 'Holy Night' with Reba and Trisha, which might come from the special, will go to country stations, and CMT will do some things with us, too," Borns says.

In terms of radio, "Underneath the Tree" will go to pop stations, "Please Come Home for Christmas" will be worked to AC and adult top 40, and "Baby, It's Cold Outside" will go to adult top 40 as well, Borns says. Clarkson will also embark on a short promotional tour in Europe, and the album's even being promoted in the Far East.

To the Texan native who'll be celebrating her second Christmas at her Nashville home with Blackstock, the album represents a sort of second phase for her career. The new year will bring pop and country releases, as well as a potential Broadway album. In a way, her Christmas CD represents a break from her past and a sampler of what's to come-like the holiday itself.

"The thing about Christmas is that it almost doesn't matter what mood you're in or what kind of a year you've had-it's a fresh start," says Clarkson, who adds that she's looking forward to her second decade in music. "I'm going to clear the air and take stock of the good that's happened."

And what if she hadn't met Blackstock-would the album have been quite so rosy? "I might have called it Wrapped in Green," she says with a laugh.

Crying.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

Mumei

Mumei, crumpet stated the following:

vwbfvoi.png

What is your assessment of this?

My assessment is that my fave's iconic Christmas album will remain untouched, her iconic - and nineteen year old - Christmas song will chart higher than anything that comes out of this album, and will continue charting long after his fave is dead and buried / cremated / shot into space / scattered into the ocean / eaten by vultures in a sky burial.

Why do you ask?

I am fine with a Broadway album next year assuming it is just a fun side project.

I am more annoyed at the country album.
Hehe, see, I'm the opposite. I can't wait for the country album. I guess it just all boils down to taste. I'm glad she is doing what she wants to do, though. :)

Matt_

Brittzerz is on Chatty Man tonight

Touchdown

Banned
My assessment is that my fave's iconic Christmas album will remain untouched, her iconic - and nineteen year old - Christmas song will chart higher than anything that comes out of this album, and will continue charting long after his fave is dead and buried / cremated / shot into space / scattered into the ocean / eaten by vultures in a sky burial.

Why do you ask?

iKmSf2rQnsHef.gif

cory64

Ariana Grande ‏@ArianaGrande 55s
#YoursTruly fact.. I originally wanted #YoullNeverKnow to be a girl power duet w @ddlovato inspired by "the boy is mine" #nextalbummaybe :)

Ch... sit down Ariana if you think you're coming for The God Is Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom