• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I don't really get the Artpop title track. Some cool spacey production but the song doesn't speak to me at all.

botty

Banned
Lil Mama trending world wide. Hew else?

lil-mama-jayz-gif.gif

Nemesis_

Stefan™;86945596 said:
She left out the better half of the song. ch...

She knows this and I am 1378193% certain it's why she's not giving us any of the Zedd or Madeon songs that didn't leak beforehand.

i0XWxwUJps6SZ.gif

SaintZ

Lana for Nylon Magazine
130906_nylon_lanadelrlort7.jpg

Lana Del Rey is the rarest of pop stars; few musicians have been talked about as much as she has in the past two years, and yet still remain an enigma. But this much is clear: With her breakthrough album Born To Die on heavy rotation all of these months later, "Summertime Sadness" (and its remixed iterations) positioned high on the pop charts, her upcoming short film Tropico (featuring three songs from Born To Die: Paradise) garnering major Internet buzz, and her follow-up album so eagerly anticipated that people have resorted to email hacking to have a first listen, she's got no plans to go quiet just yet.

So she was an obvious choice for NYLON's annual America issue. Senior Editor Melissa Giannini spent an afternoon with Del Rey at her L.A. home and quickly learned that the recently emerged American icon is very much in control of everything, from how she finds song-writing inspiration to making music videos. You'll have to wait for the November issue to officially hit newsstands, but in the meantime we've got a sneak peek at our cover story, along with exclusive outtakes of Del Rey, below. And then go ahead, tell her she's your national anthem.

On her writing process, post-stardom:

"It's harder to be an observer when people are watching you. You have to go further inside because the outside world becomes a harder place to draw from."

On drinking--and then stopping before she even turned 21:

"Sometimes when I write about my feelings, about what sounds like a person, I'm actually writing about the way I felt when I was completely inebriated, which was really good--until it wasn't working for me anymore[...] Thinking about not drinking forever was very scary, but once I did it wasn't hard anymore because I had all of these miracles happen that let me know I was on exactly the right path."

On how she bonded with boyfriend Barrie-James O'Neill:

"[Kurt Cobain is] a big part of our daily conversation. Jeff Buckley is another big inspiration. And Jim Morrison--I mean, we talk about these people like we know them. They're a part of our relationship. We always say, 'All of our friends are dead, and they never knew us.' I'm lucky to have met someone who feels that way, too."

On Tropico, the short film the Internet has been buzzing about:
"It's Elvira and Jesus and Marilyn and extraterrestrials all in one."

On not listening to the haters:
"It's important to have a good relationship with yourself when you become well known[...] People will say a lot of things, and you'll start to wonder if they're true. But then you have to go back to all of those little truths and kernels you found along the way that remind you: You are where you're supposed to be."

On the next Lana Del Rey album:

"When people ask me about it, I just have to be honest--I really don't know[...] I don't want to say, 'Yeah, definitely--the next one's better than this one,' because I don't really hear a next one. My muse is very fickle. She only comes to me sometimes, which is annoying."

I need this magazine.
It took me an hour to make this post rip

Trigger

"[Kurt Cobain is] a big part of our daily conversation. Jeff Buckley is another big inspiration. And Jim Morrison--I mean, we talk about these people like we know them. They're a part of our relationship. We always say, 'All of our friends are dead, and they never knew us.' I'm lucky to have met someone who feels that way, too."

Um

1hsqW.gif

Ok?

Artemisia

Banned
"When people ask me about it, I just have to be honest--I really don't know[...] I don't want to say, 'Yeah, definitely--the next one's better than this one,' because I don't really hear a next one. My muse is very fickle. She only comes to me sometimes, which is annoying."

oh don't worry lana sis

take your time

Bladenic

Can someone remove the Nylon writing from the pic where she's wearing the stripped sweater without sunglasses and the one right below that with the jacket? I want to use one of them as Avis

I love her ;_;

Phreaker

It's run every commercial break during this TLC movie along with promos for terrible shows on VH1 I've never heard of.

Oh, and Gaga DWUW "We don't give aaaaaa" beats headphones commercial. OMG, must listen to it again, it's been a couple hours!!!

royalan

I don't know why people make fun of Katy Perry's vocals...well, in-studio.
We don't need to rehash her live chops.
Things do tend to fall apart in her upper register, but I don't think any pop girl can really touch Katy in her lower/mid register right now. I'm not the biggest fan of her music, but even I have to admit that she's got a gorgeous tone in her low notes. Very smoky and sultry. Her phrasing ability is surprisingly advanced. I'm also routinely impressed with how creative she is when it comes to transitioning into her falsetto, and she's not afraid to rely on her falsetto...something I wish more pop singers did.

I dunno, I never paid much attention to Katy's vocal ability until I listened to "Not Like The Movies" and was just mesmerized by how beautifully she sings it. Everything from the first verse to the chorus is incredibly nuanced, tender, and just exquisitely sung. Especially this part and going into the bridge. Just one of those moments where I have to admit that Katy has something to bring to the table, vocally. No girl could sing this song quite like her.

Katy's not a bad singer. She's actually pretty good...in-studio.

Phreaker

I'm down with her vocals for the most part and I'll be getting PRISM, but if Gaga was driving a truck around deliver albums to Wal*Mart she would be being dragged.

Koodo

Banned
Things do tend to fall apart in her upper register, but I don't think any pop girl can really touch Katy in her lower/mid register right now. I'm not the biggest fan of her music, but even I have to admit that she's got a gorgeous tone in her low notes. Very smoky and sultry. Her phrasing ability is surprisingly advanced. I'm also routinely impressed with how creative she is when it comes to transitioning into her falsetto, and she's not afraid to rely on her falsetto...something I wish more pop singers did.

I dunno, I never paid much attention to Katy's vocal ability until I listened to "Not Like The Movies" and was just mesmerized by how beautifully she sings it. Everything from the first verse to the chorus is incredibly nuanced, tender, and just exquisitely sung. Especially this part and going into the bridge. Just one of those moments where I have to admit that Katy has something to bring to the table, vocally. No girl could sing this song quite like her.

Katy's not a bad singer. She's actually pretty good...in-studio.
sis, was this necessary?

ifSpIQmWtm1Yz.gif

3phemeral

Huh, why didn't she keep those vocals in the live version for the verses. That deep husky tone she used were what made me like the song to begin with. Might take a bit to get used to this, if I do get used to it.

If there's ever an instrumental, I might have to somehow use the live vocals over the HQ instrumental.

Maybe I need to listen to it with earphones (busy day), but that ARTPOP snippet killed all the excitement I had for that song.

That was like THE song I knew I was going to love, but it sounds so... hollow and lifeless. There's no soul in her voice... sounds like she's just going through the motions.

I reaaaaaally hope the rest of the song picks up. Kinda bummed right now :(

So here's my confession
This time, this time
Don't just want you to love me
I want to be your obsession
This time, this time
Want my name on the marquee

I want you to want me
I want you to need me
I want you to hear my confession

ij27sdsuFDvg2.gif

Phreaker

The TLC movie was cute. I think the actresses did a good job and I liked the original MTV footage, MTV News, TRL, etc. brought back memories.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
So here's my confession
This time, this time
Don't just want you to love me
This time, this time
Want my name on the marquee

I want you to want me
I want you to need me
I want you to hear my confession