• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBvkzBfgIN0

1h1LR.png

messT.
1h1LR.png

I thought the Venus performance was mediocre, and the Do What U Want performance was largely a disaster. I also was not feeling the opening bit with the guitar.

All in all, a mess.
owl.gif

3phemeral

She sounded good, though, other than some off notes during DWUW. I originally watched it from my phone and lost a lot of the sound quality. Watching it at home with proper speakers allowed me to at least appreciate her singing.

Koodo

Banned
It's astounding to see how little impact One Direction's sales numbers have on the broader market. The perils of catering to such a tight vacuum of pre-pubescence.

It's astounding to see how little impact One Direction's sales numbers have on the broader market. The perils of catering to such a tight vacuum of pre-pubescence.

It is amazing how many words you manage to string together without producing sentences with any real meaning.

royalan

She sounded good, though, other than some off notes during DWUW. I originally watched it from my phone and lost a lot of the sound quality. Watching it at home with proper speakers allowed me to at least appreciate her singing.

Oh no.

Nobody who has gone in repeatedly on The Legend for having shouty vocals is going to say that Gaga sounded like anything other than a shouty, unsupported mess in those performances.

Gaga's tendency to think she can sing and dance at the same exact time was her downfall here. Could have been a whole lot better otherwise.

3phemeral

Oh no.

Nobody who has gone in repeatedly on The Legend for having shouty vocals is going to say that Gaga sounded like anything other than a shouty, unsupported mess in those performances.

Gaga's tendency to think she can sing and dance at the same exact time was her downfall here. Could have been a whole lot better otherwise.

True, some of the belted notes were a bit shouty. My bf was just asking me this while cooking and listening to the performance: "Is she destroying her voice like Mariah/Christina?" ::dead::

Might be a problem for her in the future if she insists on belting while being out of breath and having unsupported belts.

But it wasn't bad. And I only go in on Christina because of how good she used to sound and what an utter waste of an instrument she's turning herself into. While Gaga has never been lauded for her voice and is really only recently been getting some attention for it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Oh no.

Yep, she tries so hard to do both - it's commendable, but doesn't work - I remember commenting on her use of playback during a live performance a while back. She needs some backing singers instead of relying on playback, imo.

Also book it..... they will be #1 on Hot100 for the week.

Royals is an extremely soft #1, and 1D had album pre-orders + music video release on their side.

having a moment with bjork's biophilia (i almost typed bipolar)
a mutual cooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE

Venus is just getting better to me. I love the little sample vocals of the original artist(s?) in there.

Artemisia

Banned
Whatever, the song will get minimal radio play and drop out of the top 10 sooner than later, just like that Live While We're Young trash.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just listened to it and SOML is actually not bad. Has a lot more appeal outside of their usual shit, no where near as catchy as WMYB though

edit; what has DWUW been put in the restricted section on youtube?
iPkuDazhu2FCa.gif

US iTunes:
1D: 114%
Gaga: 63%
Lorde: 16%
Justin: 15%

So far today 1D have already sold almost 8x what Lorde sold yesterday.

If my math follows through that could put their sales total at around 150-200k based on pre-orders of the album alone.

Edit: lol

@ladygaga: Busy day in music for releases, but happy to be aside @onedirection on those charts! Show them what your made of men! HardWork! Love, #Venus

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wasn't sure about Venus's 'hit potential', but after a couple of spins it clicks. It's very catchy. Could it be a third single or is it ruled out entirely now as a proper single?

Nemesis_

I wasn't sure about Venus's 'hit potential', but after a couple of spins it clicks. It's very catchy. Could it be a third single or is it ruled out entirely now as a proper single?

Who knows. This album's promotional schedule has been such a cluster fuck I wouldn't put anything past them.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Britney Spears songs used to scare off Pirates

ay_109701786-e1382902856354.jpg

Britney Spears is being used as a secret weapon… to scare off Somali pirates.

Her hits are blasted out to deter kidnap attacks, merchant navy officer Rachel Owens revealed.

Spears’s chart-toppers Oops! I Did It Again and Baby One More Time have proved to be the most effective at keeping the bandits at bay.

Second Officer Owens, who works on supertankers off the east coast of Africa, said: ‘Her songs were chosen by the security team because they thought the pirates would hate them most.

‘These guys can’t stand Western culture or music, making Britney’s hits perfect.’

Ships in the region are in constant danger from gun-toting pirates boarding and kidnapping crews for multi-million-pound ransoms.

Ms Owens, who regularly guides huge tankers through the waters, said the ship’s speakers can be aimed solely at the pirates so as not to disturb the crew.

‘It’s so effective the ship’s security rarely needs to resort to firing guns,’ said the 34-year-old, from Gartmore, near Aberfoyle, Stirling.

‘As soon as the pirates get a blast of Britney, they move on as quickly as they can.’

Steven Jones, of the Security Association for the Maritime Industry, said: ‘Pirates will go to any lengths to avoid or try to overcome the music.’

He added: I’d imagine using Justin Bieber would be against the Geneva Convention.’

iv0LiVmhBimIJ.gif
iv0LiVmhBimIJ.gif
iv0LiVmhBimIJ.gif

Their power
lNll2Mk.gif

I could be COMPLETELY off base, but depending on how the single does..... I think their album could be pushing towards the Million mark (no way it will reach it..... but still) for a debut with Pre-Orders + Black Friday.

They are almost surely going to be above their last album.

RubyFaith

Can we just...

The rest of us might be sick to death of seeing Miley Cyrus, her foam finger, and her tongue, but the controversial star is resolutely unrepentant, declaring herself a “cool punk rock underdog” (oh, how Patti Smith must weep).

In a new interview with Cosmopolitan mag, Cyrus is taking on the haters again, telling the magazine, “I don’t want to say that I’m on top right now – I feel like I’m kind of an underdog in a cool way. It’s almost punk rock to like me because it’s not the right thing to do. Like, society wants to shut me down.

“Everything is so chaotic and crazy right now… I’m literally what everyone is talking about.”

The 20-year-old reckons she’s still shocked by the furore her awkward performance at the VMAs attracted, adding that she actually saved the show.

“When people started complaining about the awards show, I was like, ‘Have you never seen the f***ing video?’” she said.

“And what if I hadn’t done that performance? The VMAs would have been bad. They would have been missing something. The show was kind of making fun of how serious the pop industry is.”

Cyrus went on to say that music has been her sole focus since splitting with Liam Hemsworth back in September.

“I need to treat my music like a relationship – give it my time and all the attention it deserves – and that’s my main love right now,” she said.

“This is the best time of my life. I’m not going to look back on it and be like, ‘I wish I hadn’t been dwelling over a breakup,’ you know? Because that’s not what God wants my life to be about right now.”

Now she claims Punk Rock...

isngAyjsXczPR.gif

24 hours later and I'm still obsessed with Venus.

Pokerface, Bad Romance, Venus. The Gaga trifecta. <3

(Sorry Judas)

EDIT: also, why is it that Gaga seems to use a bigger budget for her candids/paparazzi wardrobe than for her stage performances. Her stage attire has been so cheapo lately, lol. Then again it's probably on purpose knowing her. ;__;

Nemesis_

You're right, and it really confuses me.

For example, why the fuck did she save Anemone for a fucking street walk in London?

Really makes no sense :/

I'm thinking maybe the X-Factor performance was meant to be done nude or something like she did at G-A-Y, but obviously she couldn't do that on a show like that. :/

And the scotch taped sea shells, I can't. Lol

I actually really loved the Venus performance, very happy and carefree. It just falls apart during DWUW because it obviously was added last minute. Also the piano and guitar were hilariously underused. I died at her fake playing the guitar.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
PJ have savaged Venus.

http://www.popjustice.com/songs/lady-gaga-venus/

It's worrying, almost heartbreaking really, that this piss-poor, messy descent into self-parody was ever in the running for the second single from 'ARTPOP'.
There are a fair number of decent bits, but there are toe-curling moments too. Gaga should understand better than most - she certainly used to - that pop is all about the full package, and the full, finished song just doesn't work. Most problematically, this song simply isn't finished. The production is incredibly basic, the lyrics feel like a first draft, and the middle eight is a disaster.
If this had surfaced as an unreleased demo from the 'The Fame' sessions it might have held some value as a curiosity. As a proposed single in 2013, it's tragic.

4/10

I can't say I disagree with their complaints, but I do think that the score is a little unfair. I'd give it a 6 or 7 personally. But I do think it amplifies the faults of all of the ARTPOP output so far; it just doesn't quite work as a whole song. There are snippets of greatness, but they're jammed together without enough care taken to see whether they work well together. You lurch from a catchy verse to a boring bridge to an awful middle 8 then back to the catchy chorus. Given that she's had like a year longer than she originally thought, it's a bit surprising to hear such unfinished, janky sounding songwriting (although not entirely surprising, given that BTW suffered from the same problem). Especially since, as PJ rightly point out, Gaga's early promised was in writing songs that didn't have bad moments or downtime (exemplified by Pokerface, Bad Romance and Telephone).

Nemesis_

Given that she's had like a year longer than she originally thought, it's a bit surprising to hear such unfinished, janky sounding songwriting (although not entirely surprising, given that BTW suffered from the same problem).

I agree the score is harsh but I don't particularly think the complaints are too outlandish.

But that being said, I think what you said is interesting when you talk about how unfinished it sounds. Gaga herself said she did this song very, very last minute. Heck, I think Gypsy was the second single the entire time up until this point, and was quickly changed to Venus once Gaga wrote it and produced it last minute. Then DWUW did well, and it was swapped over.

But I am willing to bet that Venus will be the least "polished" song on ARTPOP out of everything we've heard thus far.

Out of all the songs, my three personal favourites (G.U.Y., ARTPOP and Sexxx Dreams) were all the songs we have confirmation of her working on very shortly after Born This Way. I think that's somewhat telling.

It's also bizarre because Heavy Metal Lover was a last minute addition to Born This Way and easily one of the best on the record.

I actually really loved the Venus performance, very happy and carefree. It just falls apart during DWUW because it obviously was added last minute. Also the piano and guitar were hilariously underused. I died at her fake playing the guitar.

Lol, the moment when the first shell drops, she looks down and notices it, and then angrily rips off the other one made me cackle.

iUJH62opJzygr.gif

I understand where the "reviewer" is coming from, but I think Venus is the most ambitious and interesting song I've heard from ARTPOP.

Yeah it's heavily segmented but I do enjoy the chord transitions. I don't think it shows a lack of polish so much as just being heavy on transitional melodies. Every single segment is well done to me, and the production is through the roof. So to me, this is the most polished ARTPOP song outside of maybe DWUW.

Kyon

Banned
All of you are wrong.

Venus is beyond comprehension from lessor human beings. Only true aliens can understand pop perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom