• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.php

What kind of flawless graphic novel taste

You better stan Queen Brian, sis

yes, saga slays lives. what a fucking flaw free series.

To help cleanse that Leona cover from our minds, Foxes has released a new song.

Kiiii @ the apt title.

Shaking Heads

Get into it, sistren.
I LIVE.

Thanks for posting this sis. I <3 Foxes, and I love that she's finally releasing an album. Kind of sucks that it's not an album full of entirely new songs, since I already have her Warrior EP + Echo. Still, I will be there day one if I can.

Nocchi was the most regal queen of the bunch in that video. Let me just compose myself.

Serious question, wasn't Sticki Garbaj supposed to have a new album coming out this year?

What happened? Did she finally realize no one cares anymore?

iWVJHyWNte8Uw.gif

SaintZ

OMG. Give us the deets.

iWVJHyWNte8Uw.gif
First, I hate people. I was like in the fourth row but everybody keep pushing everybody, some people had to leave, myself included, so I ended up like in row 20, still, I coud see Lana perfectly from my spot.

Kassidy did not open for her, instead it was some lame ass DJ that lasted a fucking hour. Lana came out at like 9:20.

During Blue Jeans she got a little emotional, teary eyed and choked for a bit after everyone else were singing along, she just said 'amazing' and then proceeded to finish the song.

After that, she stopped everything for a while and got down the stairs to be with the fans, some of them got kisses in the mouth even
8zdxcqdurg.gif
(girls included)

She did not sing Heart Shaped Box.

She spoke spanish for most of the event.

My favorite performances were Born To Die and Without You. I got a little bit emotional on those
8zdxcqdurg.gif

Video Games was pretty damn epic too.

The only thing I did not like was the duration of the concert, barely over an hour, like 1:10.
8zdxcqdurg.gif

I think those are the important details. Queen of everything tbh.

lanacrydap8q.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
First, I hate people. I was like in the fourth row but everybody keep pushing everybody, some people had to leave, myself included, so I ended up like in row 20, still, I coud see Lana perfectly from my spot.

Kassidy did not open for her, instead it was some lame ass DJ that lasted a fucking hour. Lana came out at like 9:20.

During Blue Jeans she got a little emotional, teary eyed and choked for a bit after everyone else were singing along, she just said 'amazing' and then proceeded to finish the song.

After that, she stopped everything for a while and got down the stairs to be with the fans, some of them got kisses in the mouth even
8zdxcqdurg.gif
(girls included)

She did not sing Heart Shaped Box.

She spoke spanish for most of the event.

My favorite performances were Born To Die and Without You. I got a little bit emotional on those
8zdxcqdurg.gif

Video Games was pretty damn epic too.

The only thing I did not like was the duration of the concert, barely over an hour, like 1:10.
8zdxcqdurg.gif

I think those are the important details. Queen of everything tbh.

lanacrydap8q.gif

It sounds like it was great experience (except for the DJ and moving part lol). More confirmation that Lana is a true sweetheart ;_;
Glad you got to go sis ;_;

3phemeral

Y'all are being too hard on Mumei. This is coming from someone who normally cannot tolerate SoHyang's tone and that performance of Fate is absolutely stunningly beautiful. Y'all are missing out on something truly magical. Easily ranks as one of my favorite live performances alongside Yolanda Adams' I Believe I Can Fly, Lara Fabian's Je Suis Malade, Whitney's A Song For You. I mean, just the build to tension, the dynamics of her intensity control. It's not just "perfect" technical singing, you genuinely feel something. Plus, who can resist that beautiful melody? It gives me Suteki Da Ne teas if they had added an amazing climax.

I don't think it has anything to do with the audio quality, and I hear the tension in Regine's voice on almost every note, starting with the first C5. She sounds tight and thin. This isn't just an effect of poor audio quality; there are terrible audio quality videos of Whitney in the 1980s or Mariah in the mid-90s where they both sound fantastic in spite of the poor audio quality - and if it were audio quality, Regine's issues wouldn't be so consistent across her singing no matter what the year or quality of the recording.

I can't really hear it at all. Their tones are so similar at that range to me, and Regine's seems consistent throughout that I just can't seem to get the impression of tension. Especially considering she's been belting this way for a good 20+ years. There have been relatively recent performance where you do hear strain, like that one video that Roy posted of various singers attempting to hit the F5, it's obvious she's completely incapable of executing it eloquently. As a side note, I'm completely kii-ing at this comment someone left after saying "Regine is the songbird":

Regine&#65279; velasquez is&#65279; the Asian ShitBird :)))

Regine is frankly exactly what Roy is saying SoHyang is: A high note banshee with no musicianship, no expressive ability, a thin and shrill top, and nothing left after you take away the belts. Regine doesn't sound bad because she's a technically proficient but ultimately soulless singer; she sounds bad because she's a technically deficient and ultimately soulless singer.

She is capable of holding out thin high belts for a very long time, though, and that's always good for getting at least a few fans to think you're amazing (See: Jennifer Hudson).
Oh, I agree it's soulless. There's something purely mechanical about her approach to singing and I've never seemed to find evidence otherwise.

This is true; there is a homogenizing effect on tone as you go higher (everything becomes very white and bright in color); the mic also makes it more difficult. I still think you can hear a difference in roundness and especially flexibility. SoHyang has much more ease (e.g. those runs on a belted C6), whereas Regine's belting has a thin and brittle quality to it. I also think that SoHyang is able to maintain a musical tone. If you don't know what I mean by this, I think this video is a good explanation. Aside from Whitney, their tone on those belts flow seamlessly into one another (Whitney is notable because it is bigger, but the essential musical quality is similar). But when it gets to Christina, that quality disappears and you hear strain, tenseness, and a total lack of musical tone. While Regine is not that bad, I still hear the absence of that quality when comparing her to SoHyang, or any other singer who can maintain their tone and achieve resonance on those notes.
I'll have to do some searching to be able to detect this. If anything, if there is strain, her tonal quality will change hitting the same notes throughout different performances. If she's consistent and belting with ease, should be mostly the same quality of production.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by a "forced vibrato." I'm not a singer, so I don't understand these things in an experiential sense; I understand these things second-hand through explanations and examples. I might just be misunderstanding what you mean when you use that phrase. But as I understand it, vibrato is something that occurs naturally as a result of completely open and supported singing. I have two examples I really like of those qualities.
Not sure if I can explain it to you since I can't really find an example of it (and Roy doesn't seem to read these posts; I was hoping he'd help explain if he knew about it). It's difficult to describe because it involves using the muscle behind your adam's apple just below the jaw. You can manipulate this at an even frequency to control how "vibrato" is produced. You can essentially mimic this by grabbing the skin below the jaw and while sustaining a note, rapidly pull and push to achieve the effect, only you can control it without using your hands. [edit] I think I found a performance using your favorite singer: When she sings "bad rhyme," focus on her neck and watch how her muscles contract in synchronicity to the produced vibrato. Beyonce is sometimes guilty of the "heading bopping" technique you mention later on in this performance of Listen when she ends the line with "meeeeh."

I understand the various uses of vibrato and one's ability to manipulate it for dramatic effect, which is why after the prior discussion with you, it popped in my head: Can someone audibly tell the difference between a forced and natural vibrato? I find its much easier to control the speed vibrato has by using my throat, whereas the natural vibrato seems to be a result of relaxed and evenly supported breath expulsion while singing, but not as easily manipulated. Though, I can understand that you can easily go from a slow-> fast vibrato by increasing the airflow.

So when you say "forced" vibrato, it seems to me to be the opposite of what vibrato should be - the result of a total absence of forcing. Of course, vibrato can be varied - it can be more or less intense, it can come in faster or slower speeds (and actually different musical eras have required different "speeds" for vibrato, from something like 4.5 "waves" per second to 6.5 in another), and so forth.
Whitney's an interesting subject because I believe her vibrato is natural, but her jaw also undulates like crazy. I think it's a combination of just having a relaxed jaw and possibly emphasizing its effect by coupling it with those movements. Like I said, it's difficult to point out. It would be nice if there would some sort of sample where you could hear a forced vibrato and a natural one.

Thanks. Have you heard this version?
I just watched it and my memory is forever imprinted with the first one. I've already turned it into an mp3 and have it properly tagged with an album cover even!

You don't use Bambina? Caruso? Intoxicated? Tu Me Manques? Seamisai (Sei Que Me Amavas)? Le Cose Che Vivi? Speranza? Danse? Si Tu M'Aime? Her cover of Pour Que Tu M'aime Encore? J'ai Besoin de Parler? This wonderful medley? Her Ave Maria? Or her cover of Annie Lennox's Why? You and I? Sis, come on. How can you not use such a beautifully emotive and technically flawless vocalist?
I will have to peruse through these tonight along with those SoHyang performances. What makes it difficult is that the truly good stuff is not in English, I imagine (like Fate), which is why I admittedly give up easily on foreign singers because I feel like I have to wade through a bunch of music that's not to my taste. Thank you for going through the effort of putting these together. I eagerly away what I can use and not use. :)

SaintZ

It sounds like it was great experience (except for the DJ and moving part lol). More confirmation that Lana is a true sweetheart ;_;
Glad you got to go sis ;_;
Yeah, it was awesome to see one of my faves at last ;_____;

In other news... you can buy Avril Lavigne now on iTunes AND all of Avril's alberms are 7.99 each, so you can buy her magnum opus, Under My Skin as well.

Muumuse praised the album in his review:

Avril Lavigne isn’t particularly innovative, but it is an immediately more enjoyable listen than most of the underwhelming offerings by pop’s more buzzed-about princesses. The ballads have substantial depth, and the bangers play like a better, Hot Topic-revised edition of Katy Perry‘s Teenage Dream. In fact, it’s one of the strongest pop records of 2013 — not that the general public will know.
Get ha tbh

boomboxo3knb.gif

The boys, the girls
They all like Carmen
She gives them butterflies
Bats her cartoon eyes
She laughs like God
Her mind's like a diamond
Hire her tonight
She's still shinin'
Like lightnin'
Ohhhohhhhhhhho like lightnin'

lanacrydap8q.gif

Mumei

I mentioned SoHyang's native language because it has something to do with one of my major complaints of her singing (despite the utter blandness). Namely, when it comes to her English covers, she's almost ALWAYS slightly behind the melody.

Her cover of My Heart Will Go On that I linked to earlier is a perfect example of this. She's behind for almost the entire song, and it becomes really noticeable around the second chorus, where she starts adding flourishes and nearly runs out of air and completely falls off the melody in several spots. For someone who I'm supposed to consider on-par with the vocal trinity, it's incredibly amateurish, and yet it happens in almost EVERY English cover I've heard by her. It's a consistent problem she has.

However, I didn't want to judge her too harshly for that, if it may have more to do with her grasp of English not being that strong. I wouldn't really know, though - maybe she has the same timing issues when she's singing in Korean. I don't know the structure of the language to tell.

That's why I brought that up.

I think this is a different criticism than the one you were making before, actually. In your earlier post, you said, "Maybe it's because I don't know her native language and can't pick out any improvisational abilities or personal style in her covers." I thought you were conceding that perhaps because you don't know the language you weren't able to pick up on improvisational abilities or personal style. I'd concede the improvisational abilities; unfortunately I don't even have the knowledge of which of her Korean songs are covers in the first place to even know where to begin. But I think her personal style is pretty apparent on songs like Fate, and I think that this section, again, demonstrates that if nothing else she has a lot of musicianship. When you say "personal style," I think of choices in phrasing, in the use of vibrato, in tempo rubato, in the legato, in playing with the melody, in which register to use, in what dynamic to sing in, with what tonal qualities, and so forth. I admit that she sometimes makes decisions I don't like, most particularly with Whitney and Mariah, but I think she's simply flawless in her Korean songs, covers or no. The head voice at the end of In The Flower Garden is perfect and perfect for the song, for instance.

I was also expressing disbelief that you considered vocal climaxes like these to be bland, even if there is a language barrier or you didn't like the voice I would've thought you'd appreciate the emotive qualities of the performance since that often seems to trump technical considerations for you.

As far as singing behind the melody is concerned, I'm not sure. I hadn't really noticed it, but when I listen to her English covers I'm paying more attention to the sound of her voice than anything else. I like hearing those songs with a voice that is actually phenomenal at sound production, and I'm willing to forgive a lot when it comes to her pronunciation or stylistic decisions that admittedly are missteps because of what she does that I do like. I don't have this problem with her Korean songs, perhaps because I am not listening to them with any preconceptions of what they should sound like and because she is palpably more at ease with the demands of the language. I don't think it's inherently a flaw to sing behind the melody; as you know there are great singers who have made a point of singing behind the melody, and while it might not have been the best choice to do with MHWGO, better singers than her have done that on songs that I don't really think it works well with.

I actually had noticed that WestVoice chose exclusively Korean songs to use as examples in that video, which I think is a tacit admission that she doesn't quite have the same standards in English. She's not Lara Fabian, who sings in four or five languages with the same quality of diction and ease as she does in French.

I'm still reading your post, Mumei.

Just had to pause to let everyone know that I've been SCREAMING at my desk for the last 5 minutes at the side-by-side comparison of all the girls going for the "YAY-e-YAY-e-YAY-e-YAYYYY" part of "I'll Be There"...

Leona Lewis especially is killing me with her hands.

I'm pretty sure that's the best part of the entire video. Leona fell flat on her face on that part, and everyone struggled with some aspect of it.

Y'all are being too hard on Mumei. This is coming from someone who normally cannot tolerate SoHyang's tone and that performance of Fate is absolutely stunningly beautiful. Y'all are missing out on something truly magical. Easily ranks as one of my favorite live performances alongside Yolanda Adams' I Believe I Can Fly, Lara Fabian's Je Suis Malade, Whitney's A Song For You. I mean, just the build to tension, the dynamics of her intensity control. It's not just "perfect" technical singing, you genuinely feel something. Plus, who can resist that beautiful melody?

You should listen to those climaxes I linked above, too.

I can't really hear it at all. Their tones are so similar to me, and Regine's seems consistent throughout that I just can't seem to get the impression of tension. Especially considering she's been belting this way for a good 20+ years. There have been relatively recent performance where you do hear strain, like that one video that Roy posted of various singers attempting to hit the F5, it's obvious she's completely incapable of executing it eloquently. As a side note, I'm completely kii-ing at this comment someone left after saying "Regine is the songbird":

Can you hear it here? I don't think that the fact that she's been belting improperly for a long time is necessarily evidence that she's not belting improperly. Different voices respond differently to vocal misuse. Jussi Bjorling was an alcoholic for his entire life, and he sounded like this the year he died at the age of 49. I think the evidence of whether a note is properly produced is in the sound of the note itself and other points of reference are unnecessary.

Though I'll be honest, it took me awhile with Regine to hear her issues, but they are there.

I'll have to do some searching to be able to detect this. If anything, if there is strain, her tonal quality will change hitting the same notes throughout different performances. If she's consistent and belting with ease, should be mostly the same quality of production.

I don't agree with this formulation. If her tonal quality changes with different performances, that indicates either a) inconsistency (sometimes she's good, sometimes she's bad) or b) flexibility (she's capable of hitting the same notes properly in different ways). Another possibility is that she's pretty consistently bad, so she sounds pretty consistently bad in similar ways.

You can guess which one I'm pointing to.

Not sure if I can explain it to you since I can't really find an example of it (and Roy doesn't seem to read these posts; I was hoping he'd help explain if he knew about it). It's difficult to describe because it involves using the muscle behind your adam's apple just below the jaw. You can manipulate this at an even frequency to control how "vibrato" is produced. You can essentially mimic this by grabbing the skin below the jaw and while sustaining a note, rapidly pull and push to achieve the effect, only you can control it without using your hands. [edit] I think I found a performance using your favorite singer: When she sings "bad rhyme," focus on her neck and watch how her muscles contract in synchronicity to the produced vibrato. Beyonce is sometimes guilty of the "heading bopping" technique you mention later on in this performance of Listen when she ends the line with "meeeeh."

I actually hear the Beyoncé example as almost melismatic as opposed to an attempt at vibrato, though perhaps that says something about what a bad attempt at vibrato it was if that is indeed what it was supposed to be. In any case, I maintain the position that it is unnecessary and a crutch for singers incapable of producing it correctly.

I understand the various uses of vibrato and one's ability to manipulate it for dramatic effect, which is why after the prior discussion with you it popped in my head: Can someone audibly tell the difference between a forced and natural vibrato? I find its much easier to control the speed vibrato has by using my throat, whereas the natural vibrato seems to be a result of relaxed and evenly supported breath expulsion while singing, but not as easily manipulated. Though, I can understand that you can easily go from a slow-> fast vibrato by increasing the airflow.

Yeah, you're getting to a point of discussion where a) I'm not sure I'm talking about the same things as you, b) I have no pedagogical point of view on the subject. I will happily concede that you are possibly right. Maybe.

I think it's possible to audibly tell the difference between a forced and natural vibrato; I think a natural vibrato has an evenness (centered around the pitch, even oscillations, and because properly produced vibrato is the result of an open throat, I should be able to hear the openness in the singing as well and the attendant musical tone. Of course, this is in theory; I haven't actually tested this out!

Whitney's an interesting subject because I believe her vibrato is natural, but her jaw also undulates like crazy. I think it's a combination of just having a relaxed jaw and possibly emphasizing its effect by coupling it with those movements. Like I said, it's difficult to point out. It would be nice if there would some sort of sample where you could hear a forced vibrato and a natural one.

Whitney's jawing is entirely stylistic and has no real bearing on her vibrato itself. For instance, listen to her vibrato here until the end. Do you hear the vibrato on multiple sustained vowels, belted and otherwise? She's not jawing on any of them. And I know you know this. I don't think she sounds significantly different on this, despite her jawing, than she does on the sustained C#5s at the end of One Moment in Time, or the belts earlier in the performance. There might be some slight accentuation to it, but it's clearly not something she's doing to produce vibrato that she otherwise couldn't.

I will have to peruse through these tonight along with those SoHyang performances. What makes it difficult is that the truly good stuff is not in English, I imagine (like Fate), which is why I admittedly give up easily on foreign singers because I feel like I have to wade through a bunch of music that's not to my taste. Thank you for going through the effort of putting these together. I eagerly away what I can use and not use. :)

Lara Fabian is pretty fabulous. I was in the same boat as you until recently and I took the time to try to explore her more. I really love this performance of Je T'Aime, particularly this part. She's singing with the mic held by her side and is still quite audible.

3phemeral

You should listen to those climaxes I linked above, too.
I need to know what those second and third songs are, because those are the other ones I heard from the virtuosity video that I loved.

Can you hear it here? I don't think that the fact that she's been belting improperly for a long time is necessarily evidence that she's not belting improperly. Different voices respond differently to vocal misuse.

Though I'll be honest, it took me awhile with Regine to hear her issues, but they are there.
True. Different singers have different capabilities of vocal abuse. I just imagine that if there's is evidence of straining, it would be more difficult to recover as time went on, whereas in the video you posted of Jussi Bjorling where, despite his alcoholism, doesn't have any signs of vocal damage or strain. So it's a bit of uneven territory for me in determining how one strains if it's so subtle that my ears can't detect it. There was a reason why I stopped watching Regine's performances and if I can detect strain, it'll be less like hammering the final nail into a coffin and more like shooting her off into space. I'm honestly halfway leaning against not wanting to because I really don't care for her singing *however*, it really bugs me that i can't hear it so I'm probably going to do it anyway. lol

I don't agree with this formulation. If her tonal quality changes with different performances, that indicates either a) inconsistency (sometimes she's good, sometimes she's bad) or b) flexibility (she's capable of hitting the same notes properly in different ways). Another possibility is that she's pretty consistently bad, so she sounds pretty consistently bad in similar ways.

You can guess which one I'm pointing to.
Well, I'm mostly going by memory concerning how she sings and as far as I can, she's always belted with the same level of intensity and style (either by choice or because it's expected of her). I don't recall her ever having any capability of stylistically changing her tone for any artistic effect, which is why I'm confident that my tailor-made-for-Regine theory may yield results :)

I actually hear the Beyoncé example as almost melismatic as opposed to an attempt at vibrato, though perhaps that says something about what a bad attempt at vibrato it was if that is indeed what it was supposed to be. In any case, I maintain the position that it is unnecessary and a crutch for singers incapable of producing it correctly.
It's a bad example as it only lasts for quick moment, but she definitely attempts to hold the "me" at very very end of her run.

Yeah, you're getting to a point of discussion where a) I'm not sure I'm talking about the same things as you, b) I have no pedagogical point of view on the subject. I will happily concede that you are possibly right. Maybe.

I think it's possible to audibly tell the difference between a forced and natural vibrato; I think a natural vibrato has an evenness (centered around the pitch, even oscillations, and because properly produced vibrato is the result of an open throat, I should be able to hear the openness in the singing as well and the attendant musical tone. Of course, this is in theory; I haven't actually tested this out!
Yeah, it's very difficult to articulate because I've only read about a "faux-brato" early on when I was learning, but it was supposedly produced by actually forcefully manipulating the abdominal muscles. That kind of vibrato is easy to detect because it's rather shallow and actually hinders tonal production (for obvious reasons). The throat-enabled one is easier, I think, as it doesn't involve the requirement of messing with your diaphragm. I suppose I'll refrain from explaining further until I can find proper reference for you, if it exists.

Whitney's jawing is entirely stylistic and has no real bearing on her vibrato itself. For instance, listen to her vibrato here until the end. Do you hear the vibrato on multiple sustained vowels, belted and otherwise? She's not jawing on any of them. And I know you know this. I don't think she sounds significantly different on this, despite her jawing, than she does on the sustained C#5s at the end of One Moment in Time, or the belts earlier in the performance. There might be some slight accentuation to it, but it's clearly not something she's doing to produce vibrato that she otherwise couldn't.
I've watched OMIT hundreds of times and I don't know why I never noticed that she doesn't do it there but still produces that same effect. For some reason I've stored that jaw-effect as her default technique. Touche!

Lara Fabian is pretty fabulous. I was in the same boat as you until recently and I took the time to try to explore her more. I really love this performance of Je T'Aime, particularly this part. She's singing with the mic held by her side and is still quite audible.
You don't use Bambina? Caruso? Intoxicated? Tu Me Manques? Seamisai (Sei Que Me Amavas)? Le Cose Che Vivi? Speranza? Danse? Si Tu M'Aime? Her cover of Pour Que Tu M'aime Encore? J'ai Besoin de Parler? This wonderful medley? Her Ave Maria? Or her cover of Annie Lennox's Why? You and I? Sis, come on. How can you not use such a beautifully emotive and technically flawless vocalist?

I've already listened to Bambina and Caruso and Bambina especially is rather beautiful. No belting or intense climax, just very simple melody with a lovely tone. She actually reminds me a lot of Celine there. I'm still going through the other videos. :)

Yoshiya

blood orange's (everything is embarrassing, solange's true ep) new album, cupid deluxe, has leaked, and it is glorious. buy it in two weeks on itunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom