• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
I didn't see it for Gaga's looks until designers finally took a liking to her and she found people for the haus who were talented enough to elevate her vision. Most of the getups from the fame were awful, she looked like a cosplayer on a budget.

iglS6Z4M94ID4.gif

She pretty much was, tbh. But I think that amateur and raw feel to her was part of what drew people in.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
sorry to interrupt this "nostalgia is for geeks" session
but is anyone watching the EMAs

I forgot they were today

tBRlcgG.jpg
oM6FIdf.jpg

I am
Katy was actually pretty good, my stream was fucking up though so I didn't actually see what she did

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Miley just slayed her EMA performance

Is the standard of slaying for her not looking like she's drugged out of her mind, not sticking her tongue out constantly, and managing to lip synch convincingly while twerking with a non-existent pancake ass?

[edit]: Checking the EMA thread, she apparently didn't twerk. Progress.

ibarmrqaqIDcKi.gif

Matt_

I don't know what her first performance was like but she was just up on stage singing for Wrecking Ball and she was good. No twerking, no silly tongue, no gimmicks, just good vocals

Zutroy

Passenger slays. Brit's 3 for 3 so far for me! December seems so far away!

Speaking of December, my mum and I were listening to wrapped in red full blast in the kitchen this evening. Kelly's vocals are flawless!

I don't know what her first performance was like but she was just up on stage singing for Wrecking Ball and she was good. No twerking, no silly tongue, no gimmicks, just good vocals

Her SNL performance was like this and I agree, she really does have a good voice. She can give really good performances, they're just rare amidst the twerking trash.

Speaking of December, my mum and I were listening to wrapped in red full blast in the kitchen this evening. Kelly's vocals are flawless!

As per usual. You better stan the true Queen.

Matt_

Her SNL performance was like this and I agree, she really does have a good voice. She can give really good performances, they're just rare amidst the twerking trash.

She suffers from the same thing that Lady Gaga has but just has a worse case of it. Both girls have good voices and are capable of putting on some amazing performances, but as soon as movement or dancing comes into it the vocals suffer. It's just that Mileys turn to complete trash which will just get her a reputation of being talentless when she's not

d7dKJUf.png
that swift backside

You're the best. Make a Lana Del Rey one?

She suffers from the same thing that Lady Gaga has but just has a worse case of it. Both girls have good voices and are capable of putting on some amazing performances, but as soon as movement or dancing comes into it the vocals suffer. It's just that Mileys turn to complete trash which will just get her a reputation of being talentless when she's not

Katy suffers from that too. She was incredibly out of breath at the iTunes festival and it really too away from the performance.

It's a shame, she has a great voice. Bangerz is just all trash bops except for a few and it makes the whole thing kind of a joke.

Omg Unconditionally just came on pandora lololol

Remind me to watch it later, I'm currently sitting here trying not to vomit because everyone is eating grilled cheese sandwiches.

Katy Perry is an artist that would greatly benefit from taking a few pages from the Janet Jackson school of convincing Lip Synching to Prerecorded vocals. (see also Beyonce)

Matt_

ibjXL7KlN48kzh.gif

Cheese is everything

edit; I agree she would benefit from lip synching or at least ramping up the backing track to eleven. Credit where credit is deserved though, she tries. And I guess if she was lipsyching we'd expect more from her dancing which isnt any better than her voice
But that beyonce bit at the end will get you in trouble

royalan

Sis no. La Perra's out of breath trying to hit notes just standing still. She can't sing live to save her life.

No.

I know it's fun to drag Katy Perry's live performances. And, truth be told, most of them ARE horrible.

But her SNL performance of Walking On Air was actually pretty darn good, especially by her standards.

--She looked stunning. Katy was legitimately the hottest chick in Pop that night.
--The concept/choreography was cute and really well done considering that small stage.
--And her vocals held up surprisingly well considering all the movement she was doing. I was completely shocked when she was able to hit that E5 in the bridge (YEEeeEEEEAAAAHAHHHH!!!) and at near the same quality as the studio recording. The only time she really faltered vocally was in her transitions into falsetto, which is understandable considering all the movement.

That was a technically stronger performance than anything Gaga's done ALL era (INCLUDING the VMAs). Gaga's vocals just go to pieces these days when she tries to move, and she's usually a breathless mess by the end of her songs.

Aguila

#ICONIC
No.

I know it's fun to drag Katy Perry's live performances. And, truth be told, most of them ARE horrible.

But her SNL performance of Walking On Air was actually pretty darn good, especially by her standards.

--She looked stunning. Katy was legitimately the hottest chick in Pop that night.
--The concept/choreography was cute and really well done considering that small stage.
--And her vocals held up surprisingly well considering all the movement she was doing. I was completely shocked when she was able to hit that E5 in the bridge (YEEeeEEEEAAAAHAHHHH!!!) and at near the same quality as the studio recording. The only time she really faltered vocally was in her transitions into falsetto, which is understandable considering all the movement.

That was a technically stronger performance than anything Gaga's done ALL era (INCLUDING the VMAs). Gaga's vocals just go to pieces these days when she tries to move, and she's usually a breathless mess by the end of her songs.

Now wait. Katy did slay that performance. It was smooth and tight, and it wasn't full on corny. So far Gaga's performances have either been all over the place or her costumes have looked wonky (looking like a troll doll or a naked hobo). The decline is real.

Can I just say that "Just Can't Get Enough" is absolutely amazing...until the shift in tone near the end of the song. Then I have to skip.
Do what u want TOTALLY starts with what sounds like samples from a Genesis
I just switched to the song to confirm, and holy shit. I could easily hear this in one of the bar levels in Streets of Rage.

Volantis is a city in the Game of Thrones/ASoIaF universe. It's also the name of a constellation.

No.

So you're basically agreeing with me anyway.

For every SNL Walking on Air performance, she has a dozen Australian X-Factor Unconditionally-sized messes.

ibCFR7sGNFcb.gif

Fey

Banned
ddd of course the one Katy performance where she slays is the one I can't watch
tumblr_m7wusejA2Z1r17mw1.gif

btw have you guys read the Sputnik review for ARTPOP yet. It's truly ARTPOP.

Some choice quotes:
It begins with the song “Aura,” which is almost four minutes in length. It is most definitely a song, containing instruments and vocals that arise from musical notes played rhythmically.

The song ends and the next one begins. “Venus” is yet another song. There are more electronic elements than the song that came before it, but features choruses as well. It is faster than “Aura” in many parts as well. If one were to approach it objectively, one could think of it as a song to dance to.

“Sexxx Dream” is another song on Artpop. Once more Lady Gaga sings about the subject of sex. It is a slower song and at three minutes and 34 seconds it is shorter than the song before it.

“Swine” follows suit with an even longer song than the last. Pigs are the topic of the song ...

"Applause" signals the end of Artpop as an applause typically comes at the end of performance. At three minutes and 32 seconds the song ends in three minutes and 32 seconds.

In conclusion, Artpop is the third album by pop recording artist Lady Gaga. Therefore it has similarities to her previous work but is inherently different because it is a different album. It is 59 minutes and four seconds in length.

2.5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom