• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
ibqjA2faIgqhgy.gif

I’m making a statement of my own opinion
Just a brief little reminder to help myself remember
I no longer live in your dominion…no, no, no, no, no…whoowhoo
You’re just trifling, nothing more than a liability
Got a bundle of your possession outside the kitchen window right now:

Letting go oh oo oooh,
Letting go ain’t easy, oh its just exceedingly hurtful
Somebody you used to know is flinging your world around
And they watch as you’re falling down, down down, falling down, baby.

Evidently your words were merely lies, reverberating in my ears and the echo won’t subside
There’s a deep deep loss of hope and the anger burns in me…
I hope you don’t get no ideas ‘bout reuniting baby cause thats the last thing I truly need
Your audacity is too much to be believed, so oooh so ooo…
Go to Mimi on your contacts…<sigh> press delete.

Letting go ain’t easy, oh its just exceedingly hurtful
Cause somebody you used to know is flinging your world around
And they watch as you’re falling down, down, down, down (haaah)

Baby letting go, (baby letting go) ain’t easy (ain’t easy),
Baby letting go (baby letting go) whoa-ooo (whoa-oooh) ain’t easy (ain’t easy) Nooooo-
ohhhh-ooooo-oooh
Baby letting go, it ain’t easy Oh, cause somebody you used to know
Is flinging your world around, And you know what? (what?)
They watch, as you’re falling (falling), as you’re falling (falling)…down, oooh-ahhh, whoa-ahhhh…fall

<Big sigh> It ain’t easy Baby…

What kind of masterclass in being a female recording artist. She turned a wordy rant into an amazing ballad.
The most understated anthem that Mariah has ever released. There is no clear hook. There is no heavy beat. There IS full voice, a vast range, and a mega DIVA final minute.

Oprah-Cry.gif

Ariana Grundy,
Discovered on a Monday,
Got a Twitter following on Tuesday,
Released an album on Wednesday,
Flopped on Thursday,
Bargain binned on Friday,
Career ended on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
That was the end,
Of Ariana Grundy.

We should all be dragging Grundy instead.

Nemesis_

Ariana Grundy,
Discovered on a Monday,
Got a Twitter following on Tuesday,
Released an album on Wednesday,
Flopped on Thursday,
Bargain binned on Friday,
Career ended on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
That was the end,
Of Ariana Grundy.

We should all be dragging Grundy instead.

Neither are a force to be reckoned with in 2012/2013/20XX

ivAbqddwgzlKV.gif

The singer with the song of the decade? The solo artist with the most number one single's in Rihistory? I don't know tbh.

tumblr_m69bphy8jD1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Not saying WBT wasn't huge, and obviously its run on the Hot 100 was massive.

...but she wasn't even the #1 radio artist that year. Nor was her song the best selling song of the year. Nor was her album the best selling album of the period. (Kelly Clarkson beats her in all 3 categories btw as far as pop artists go.)

The song benefited greatly from that fact that it was a more urban direction for her during a time when the Hot 100 was stacked to favor urban songs.

Touchdown

Banned
Not saying WBT wasn't huge, and obviously its run on the Hot 100 was massive.

...but she wasn't even the #1 radio artist that year. Nor was her song the best selling song of the year. Nor was her album the best selling album of the period. (Kelly Clarkson beats her in all 3 categories btw as far as pop artists go.)

The song benefited greatly from that fact that it was a more urban direction for her during a time when the Hot 100 was stacked to favor urban songs.

Take it up with Billboard.

tumblr_m69bphy8jD1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

I believe you did not read/comprehend my post.

My point was that Billboard unfairly favored urban songs during that era.

The actual sales of the songs/albums did not reflect the supposed domination. We Belong Together did not even make top 10 on the end of year sales charts.

Showing that its domination was a figment of Billboards imagination more than anything.

rjzMTmC.png

FyDrl3Y.png

Kelly's album which was released around the same time (6 months apart) outsold EOM by 3 million copies world wide. That doesn't seem all that dominating.

Overhyped era was overhyped.

Not you thinking WBT was "urban"...

mimi-laugh-o.gif

It is urban influenced. Don't deflect.

Far more urban than the other major pop acts of the day.

No matter how you cut it. WBT was not #1 in sales for ONE DAY in the entire 16 weeks that she topped the hot 100.

Today she would be laughed off the charts.

Do you know what song was #1 in sales during the middle of its run? Pon de Replay.

Touchdown

Banned
It is urban influenced. Don't deflect.

Far more urban than the other major pop acts of the day.

No matter how you cut it. WBT was not #1 in sales for ONE DAY in the entire 16 weeks that she topped the hot 100.

Today she would be laughed off the charts.

Ooooh so Billboard should have followed your standards for their decision, K. I guess being number 1 for 16 weeks and it breaking several airplay records, gathering both the largest one-day and one-week audiences in history at the time didn't mean anything. It's all about sales, got ya. Does anybody even remember what Clarkson song "outsold" WBT?

ibrm7vQuig05XL.gif

Ooooh so Billboard should have followed your standards for their decision, K. I guess being number 1 for 16 weeks didn't mean anything. It's all about sales, got ya.

At the time the formula was based virtually 100% around radio and PHYSICAL (rofl) single sales. Radio was determined by arbitrary formula's. May as well have chosen your #1's by committee. It was a mess. Everyone knew it was a mess. Which is why they changed it only a year or two later.

No one can take her weeks at #1 away, but it was far from the most popular song of the decade.

Cling to your arbitrary and admittedly biased airplay numbers if that makes you feel better though.

eh, the "they" was Jermaine Dupris. I just hope now that he's managing MC he's not on every other song saying random crap on her next album. Please lordT.

So you don't disagree her singing isn't Mariah level either. I'm worried for her. She singing bout some past lover, and she been married for how long.

Jermaine was behind number 1 song of the decade. She needs him in her life.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Stefan&#8482;;89489425 said:
Lord with false Lorde today in NY:

BY2FyBcIAAAN92c.jpg:large

ePp0TXG.gif

why is Bandwagone dressed like a damn witch covered in bird poop

[edit] IT'S SO SIMPLE GET TO THE FLOOR
IT'S SO SIMPLE GET TO THE FLOOR
DO YOU WANT MORE?
DO YOU WANT MORE?
DO YOU KNOW WHAT I GOT IN STORE?

ixYCJ8RYzW6xo.gif

[edit 2] and it's kind of ridiculous how much more the album version of Bring the Noize shits than the single version

ibyA3lUc4OMCt1.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Look at Gaga utterly SLAY Gypsy live
Why does anyone else even bother?

iNDd7KVxVmPnh.gif

The American Music Awards are set to slay tbh

Performers[edit]

Pre-show
Jesse McCartney
Fifth Harmony
Main show

Lady Gaga[4] and R.Kelly[5]
Kelly Clarkson[6]
Miley Cyrus[2]
Imagine Dragons[2]
One Direction[7]
Florida Georgia Line[7]
Pitbull and Ke$ha
Luke Bryan[8]
Kendrick Lamar[9]
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis[10]
Justin Timberlake[11]

Here for nearly all of them tbh

Mumei

At the time the formula was based virtually 100% around radio and PHYSICAL (rofl) single sales. Radio was determined by arbitrary formula's. May as well have chosen your #1's by committee. It was a mess. Everyone knew it was a mess. Which is why they changed it only a year or two later.

No one can take her weeks at #1 away, but it was far from the most popular song of the decade.

... But any formula would ultimately arbitrary. Arbitration of what counts, for how much, and on what charts is what Billboard, you know, does. It sometimes hurts artists, it sometimes helps them. Mariah's WBT chart performance wouldn't have been as impressive on a chart that emphasized sales over radio play; she did only peak at #2 in sales. But that's a counterfactual argument about what could have been.

It wasn't much more than a month ago that three different songs - Roar, Wrecking Ball, and Royals - were number one in radio play, streaming, and digital downloads. You could probably have had any of those songs be number one by adjusting the ultimately arbitrary formula Billboard uses to decide which song is number one on the Hot 100; that doesn't change the fact that Royals was number one under the existing formula.

Nemesis_

Upon reflection of who Pheral has been working with, I would be inclined to agree with Ms Banks but then I listened to #ATMJAM again and realised why he might've been so quick to abandon it.

il7urNfMAZARY.gif

I will never understand 80% of her appeal :/

I don't have strong feelings about this article, but I am interested in seeing Soulscribe's reaction.

'scribe, where are you?

Meh, another reviewer saying this album is what they expected from her (i.e. pop music that's catchy, go figure) but didn't have the fire of Born This Way, an album that was so fiery that that same reviewer probably hated it when it came out too. She's going to get the catch-22 treatment this era at the end of the day; when she establishes her style as straight up pop, she's criticised for establishing versus treading new grounds. Except she's never treaded new grounds. All her music has been a similar style (Born This Way strafed a few times but generally still in the same tableau) but I think the title of album insinuated something more transformative than what we actually got. This person complains that "ARTPOP" is exactly what she's been doing up til now, then criticizes the album for being exactly what she's been doing up til now. Isn't that point? "ARTPOP" is exactly what she's been doing and this album exemplifies it. It's not meant to be a transformative album so much as an establishing album... at the end of the day Gaga is about catchy pop music, you've all complained that she strayed away from that in the last era, so this time she'll give you what you asked for: music similar to my first album + EP. It's classic Gaga. What moniker describes Gaga's essence more than "ARTPOP"?

It's like "why is this album JUST a bunch of pop songs?".... well, because that's what she was asked to make. Everyone shat on her for trying to do more, so she listened. I think there are too many people who want drastically different things from her, and in misunderstanding her ambitions assumed that her brand of music was some sort of revolutionary medium. It isn't. She's a well-spoken artist with catchy pop music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom