• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yado

The other Spears sings?
I await her ep so she can be heralded as the superior Spears ala the Knowles sisters.

Amongst a minuscule subset of posters in a thread on a forum on the internet?
I suppose that's possible.

irogiFRwTkkSG.gif

Zutroy

Knee why :(

Let me go listen to Perfume and cry

I'm over 100 listens of perfume now in not much longer than a week. I can't get enough of that post chorus!

I should have been a good army member and listened to it on Vevo to get her up the chart!

[E] And now I can't stop listening to Follow Me...

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I don't like the singer of The Weeknd but as per the production is outstanding

... This is ridiculous. I don't know why you bother responding to me when you don't respond to what I actually said.

I was not defending radio as a basis for measuring a song's impact. You were arguing that it shouldn't have been, because while its radio play was impressive, it never reached the number one sales spot. One of the point you made in the course of making this argument was that the formula Billboard used for radio was arbitrary. I was making the narrow point that any formula Billboard used would by definition by arbitrary. It was not a defense of the decision, but a criticism of the relevance of that complaint. Touchdown made a statement of fact: We Belong Together was "Song of the Decade," at least according to Billboard. You're welcome to argue that Billboard's formula was flawed, that radio should have been less important, that digital sales should have been included, or whatever. But in the world of what actually happened, he's still right.

And as we know, facts are facts.

I didn't respond to what you said because the topic was getting tangential to the point I was originally making. I then made a poor attempt at pivoting back to the main discussion. It was obviously poorly written and I apologize.

The point of contention was not Billboard itself. It was whether WBT is the "Song of the Decade". Billboard is one piece of evidence that is used to support the claim, and I brought up the problems i have will billboards formula to point out that it is not the end all definer of what the biggest song is. My comment on that the formula is arbitrary was not aimed at the Billboard chart as a whole, but how they measure airplay since (as billboard itself later admitted) urban, pop/urban, and urban AC radio was over-sampled during the period.

I am pretty sure we all agree that radio airplay is not the best determiner of a songs popularity. I personally believe that sales are a much better determiner since it shows how many people actively seek to own a song, and I think most people agree with that.

If we can agree that sales are one of the better indicators of a songs popularity (obvious exception nowadays with pre-orders and discounts.... but those were non-issues in the 00's) then how can anyone then claim that a song that wasn't even in the top 10 of the year when it was big is the song of the decade?

cory64

This post is so shady I love it.

they're a messT
1. Tamar Braxton – Love and War: 114k #2
2. Sara Bareilles – The Blessed Unrest: 68k #2
3. Ciara – Ciara: 59k #2
4. Avril Lavinge – Avril Lavinge: 42k #5
5. Fifth Harmony – Better Together: 28k #6
x. TLC – 20: 5k #72
x. Marcus Canty – This Is... Marcus Canty: 4k #114
x. Quadron – Avalanche: #115
x. Sean Kingston – Back 2 Life: Did Not Chart