• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Madonna didn't flop until American Life. You're getting her reputation confused with her success. Only her image had true ups and down, she still slayed for almost 20 years straight.

Yep. AND her least commercially successful album prior to that, Erotica, still went on to become a trend-setting, critical darling AND spawned her scandalous sex book.

Artemisia

Banned
Does ARTPOP flopping give credence to the claims that Gaga is a fad?

I guess OT GAF was right all along.

ny.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
Does ARTPOP flopping give credence to the claims that Gaga is a fad?

I guess OT GAF was right all along.

ny.gif

Fads are people like Psy, um the Harlem Shake people, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Rebecca Black who can't sell albums or become relevant again if their lives depended on it.

OT GAF and you can try again.

ny.gif

Fads are people like Psy, um the Harlem Shake people, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Rebecca Black who can't sell albums or become relevant again if their lives depended on it.

OT GAF and you can try again.

Can you not lump in Carly Rae Jepsus with those has beens.

Let me go listen to Kiss again. An album that shits on numerous faves.

ny.gif

botty

Banned
I don't like the "Rihanna is the new madonna" thing anymore. Rihanna is too unique as an artist to really be another version of someone else. She's just the first Rihanna.

:)

Rebecca Black is the artistic embodiment of the greatest day of the week; her impact will continue until Friday is no longer celebrated, i.e. forever.

ny.gif

Carly Rae Jepsen will remain in the hearts of humanity for as long as calling devices continue to exist, i.e. forever.

ny.gif

Lorde will be a one-hit wonder forgotten after the latest generation of sarcastic teenagers get their first credit card and learn the art of hedonistic materialism. Poor dat.

ny.gif

Mau ®

Even if The LORDe fades into indie obscurity, she will write flawless pop songs for other girls like RihaALLAH and TayLORD. Further ensuring her presence in pop culture.

Carly just doesn't have it in ha, I'm afraid.

NOT the intro to Aura giving me Shadow Hearts teas. (seriously, from 0:35 onward is something I could imagine Yoshitaka Hirota coming up with!)

I still have to give ARTPOP a couple more listens. I kinda vaguely like it, and nothing really stuck out as horrible, but I find music rarely sticks with me after just one listen unless it's some "Can't Get You Outta My Head"-tier hymn.

soooo in the meantime, I don't think I've ever introduced myself, because I'm shy. So hi! I'm perfect free and I'm normally a huge dork and spend a lot of time listening to video game soundtracks, but when I'm not doing that
and I wanna get down with my bad twink self
I like pop music. I don't really do a lot of crazy stanning, but I'm mentally preparing myself to lose my shit the next time Robyn graces us with her musical gifts. I used Body Talk for pretty much a solid year and it just gave me SO much life. Same with anything new from Kylie. I also worship the Japanese techno-goddesses Perfume, Janelle Monáe (The Electric Lady was great but I think ArchAndroid still tops it), and a lil Britney and Rihanna if I'm in the mood. (Real talk, I love Rihanna's voice but I don't think she or her songs really do it justice except on rare occasions. Or maybe that's just my weakness for power ballads showing. More stuff like "Fire Bomb" please.) So yeah, hiya PopGAF. I don't post much but I can't look away.

Kylie X Perfume ultimate combo hug

cory64

Yep. AND her least commercially successful album prior to that, Erotica, still went on to become a trend-setting, critical darling AND spawned her scandalous sex book.

Hmm let's see:

Madonna: Start
Like A Virgin: Rising
True Blue: Rising
Like A Prayer: Rising
1990/Immaculate Collection: Peak (7 years of rising)
Erotica: Dropping
Bedtime Stories: Rising
Ray of Light: Big Rise
Music: Second Peak (7 years of rising)
American Life: Dropping
Confessions: Big Rise
Hard Candy: Dropping
MDNA: Holding

The Fame: Big start
The Fame Monster: Rising
Born This Way: Holding
ARTPOP: Dropping (pray for Gypsy)

Music of the Sun: Start
A Girl Like Me: Rising
Good Girl Gone Bad: Big Rise
GGGB Reloaded: Rising
Rated R: Holding (bless Rude Boy)
LOUD: Big Rise
TTT: Rising (WFL)
Unapologetic: Rising

Taylor Swift: Start
Fearless: Big rise
Speak Now: Holding
Red: Rising

One of the Boys: Start
Teenage Dream: Insane rise
PRISM: Holding

Meet Miley Cyrus: Start
Breakout: Holding
2009 Movie/EP: Big Rise
Can't Be Tamed: Dropping
Bangerz: Big Rise

hmm...
Is ARTPOP Gaga's Can't Be Tamed?
i7wHsHGGb8KNX.gif

Partition

Banned
Calling ARTPOP a flop even if it only sells 200 whatever thousand is not really accurate. All it means is that Gaga doesn't have the star power she used to, or they can't just release albums and expect BTW to happen again with little effort; but probably some of both. She will continue to outperform almost all of her peers in touring and laugh to the bank as per.

I'm ready for the 2015 space era tbh. I think with a proper lead single, debuted in space, and an era under an entirely new management will do a lot for her.

DMeisterJ

Banned
All the girls only doing 250k-ish is kinda crazy for this past year. Rih/Katy/Miley/Gaga are all in the same ballpark album wise (US). Gaga and Rih win because they sell albums WW and can tour and sell out stadiums tho, while Katy plays more dates then everyone and makes far less. Singles wise, the other three outclass Gaga by a significant margin.

Looks like the real winner here is Rihanna. An album artist, singles artist, and touring artist. She better slay.

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
But then how does Rihanna record her albums in The-Dream's bathroom 5 weeks before release and do nearly as well?

Cause the GP wants some girls and doesn't want others. Look at her effect on Em. None of his singles do good unless they feature her. A mess.

Mau ®

I feel kinda bad for P!nk because she does better at touring, single sales and album sales than all the other girls yet no one manages to remember her to mention these facts.

kiii

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Mau ®;89764862 said:
I feel kinda bad for P!nk because she does better at touring, single sales and album sales than all the other girls yet no one manages to remember her to mention these facts.

kiii

Her music/image/attitude isn't appealing to our kind

tumblr_mw8mb29ABo1rhc4evo7_r1_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom