• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Rihanna shall never surpass Phresh out the Runway

iEGWw46ZfGLHk.gif

Truly the crown jewel in her catalogue and plethora of performances

Ok, PopGaf. I need your help.

I generally see myself as a bit of a music buff, but I'm really fucking ignorant when it comes to pop. For the last couple years I was kind of an asshole when it came to ultra-mainstream music, and I would always joke about pop music sounding the same without really being that familiar with it. I generally prefer indie groups, specifically acoustic folk bands (like the Decemberists, Beirut, etc), but really want to broaden my interests. Since last month I've really been into Lorde and Bastille, and both of those artists are by far the most poppy music I've ever been a fan of. If I want to expose myself to pop music, where do I start? Which artists should I listen to first? I have a really rudimentary understanding of pop music. I never listen to the radio, unless it's NPR or my college station, so I only know the HUGE hits, like Blurred Lines, Wrecking Ball, Applause, etc. Which pop musicians are generally considered the best?

Basically, I am a little lamb come to seek guidance from the hands of the masters.

Pupi's post was a great place to start. Natalia Kills' album Trouble is also a good transition into Pop music, IMO. It's more than just your typical pop album that you would typically hear from, say, Britney or Mariah. One of the dark horses of 2013.

Ellie Goulding is great, too. Her sound is definitely more electronic but still has that pop vibe. Halcyon was my AOTY of 2012, and Halcyon Days added a lot of good tracks to it. For example, Stay Awake was produced by Madeon, who is amazing. But there are a lot of slower songs on it like Don't Say a Word. Her first album, Bright Lights, is also awesome. This is my favorite track from that.

CHVRCHES is amazing as well; The Bones of What You Believe was my personal AOTY of 2013. And if you like Bastille, check out The 1975.

Robyn is great, as is Florrie. Lana Del Rey has become one of my favorite artists this past year. The Weeknd would probably be up your alley too, considering who you normally listen to. Kiss Land is a great album.

Oh, and don't forget to listen to The Lord and The Lord #2.

And definitely listen to HAIM's Days are Gone. I can't link just one song because the entire thing is pretty flawless.

Hey lover come and be my alibi,
I'm gonna burn down the house tonight…
Ride with me I know your friends say that I'm trouble.
Hold me down in the siren lights,
Love me even when my lies ain't white,
Light the fuse on the dynamite…
I'm trouble

Pupi, ha influence

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hey lover come and be my alibi,
I'm gonna burn down the house tonight…
Ride with me I know your friends say that I'm trouble.
Hold me down in the siren lights,
Love me even when my lies ain't white,
Light the fuse on the dynamite…
I'm trouble

Pupi, ha influence

Apparently that will be her new single.

Also remember to vote for Natalia
iW6LrqhEPSMM5.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So I was just listening to The Weeknd and my housemates thought I was listening to Celine Dion
jbp6t5NDPGvrw7.png

Like I don't even know how they can get them confused

Vazra

Omfg flawless. WHY DOES SHE LET THEM GROW OUT?

Also, lol at her killing Eminem.

I think she said something about being tired of having to constantly fix em and her current eyebrows made her look more unique. Gotta agree that it makes her look unique but I would like her to play with her styling.

Her short bob in Wonderland music video >>>>>>>>>>>>> Her current look.

Also this look is fire!!!
2~10.png

I think she said something about being tired of having to constantly fix em and in some way made her look more unique. Gotta agree that it makes her look unique but I would like her to play with her styling on eyebrows and clothes some more.

I agree. It's honestly not that hard to get your eyebrows done though; I get mine done every few months and it takes about 15 minutes. If she wants to look unique I would focus more on the clothes.

Vazra

Well... At least Roy had Cyno, botty and Soulscribe.

I had none but I turned some into the marlboro lights.

Mumei

Stan of the year? Soulscribe's tireless efforts to read meaning into Lady Gaga's antics or Royalan's tireless efforts to convince me that Christina is maybe not quite as bad as I say.

This is going to be a hard choice.

Matt_

Lord I am no Xtina fan but saying she has no talent is ridiculous

botty

Banned
As 1 of the 6000 people who owns a legitimate copy of "Trouble," I can safely say that the talent displayed had more to do with the production than anything Natalia herself offered up. The album does have a few bops, though.

i5AfN4ukgPjMT.gif

Vazra

I dont stan Xtina but its not hard to admit she has talent. Sure her latest musical efforts have been weak but talentless? Nope.

As 1 of the 6000 people who owns a legitimate copy of "Trouble," I can safely say that the talent displayed had more to do with the production than anything Natalia herself offered up. The album does have a few bops, though.

i5AfN4ukgPjMT.gif

http://www.theedge.co.nz/Natalia-Ki...rouble/tabid/106/articleID/29409/Default.aspx

I dont stan Xtina but its not hard to admit she has talent. Sure her latest musical efforts have been weak but talentless? Nope.

I think my problem is that her vocal capability is always obscured behind wailing and the like.

When she does ballads and really soft stuff, she's fine. Like Beautiful? I can get behind that.

Vazra

I actually don't even know who this Natalia is.

who is she

Skip to 4:00

I think my problem is that her vocal capability is always obscured behind wailing and the like.

When she does ballads and really soft stuff, she's fine. Like Beautiful? I can get behind that.

She does have a lot of great tools to use but she overuses them and they can become annoying and sometimes tries to do more than she can really chew at times. If she didnt go through her melisma screeching boiling kettle sounds too often she would be doing better.

Stan of the year? Soulscribe's tireless efforts to read meaning into Lady Gaga's antics or Royalan's tireless efforts to convince me that Christina is maybe not quite as bad as I say.

This is going to be a hard choice.

You know in your heart the right answer.

Or maybe I'll write you an essay about it. lol

Speaking of, I was gonna do an ARTPOP review but thought it might get paid dust (except for some sass from Godels), so I might just do a top 20 Christina songs countdown instead.

botty

Banned
You know in your heart the right answer.

Or maybe I'll write you an essay about it. lol

Speaking of, I was gonna do an ARTPOP review but thought it might get paid dust (except for some sass from Godels), so I might just do a top 20 Christina songs countdown instead.

If you do, save it for OT8. This place about to die and it might get lost amongst the spam.

isu5Y9KLpdZxB.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom