• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
i4ZlI2Wz262z1.PNG

OmFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF it's HAPPENING
i458fpeuNjw9b.png
i458fpeuNjw9b.png

Kyon

Banned
Stefan™;83590261 said:
I have always been curious; does her team tweet for her, or do they all genuinely come from her?

Both.

This era it's mostly been her tho for the most part.

EDIT: another tweet today

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-24%20at%2020.59.27.png

i458fpeuNjw9b.png

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sigh. Rihanna has hit harder notes than what now in "What Now" the issue is she can't sing the whole chorus and every verse cause she'd be non stop singing for five minutes. She'd pass out before the song is over. Lots of artists do it and it's not exclusive to Rihanna, but drag, I guess.

3phemeral

secretprojectrevolution

a film by Madonna and Steven Klein

Madonna's Telephone and Alejandro mixed with a little Born This Way perfume campaign.

But seriously, I just started watching it. Let's see what she has to say.

[edit]

Well, it's beautifully shot, for sure. And those lyrical dancers (the Asian guy with the long hair in particular) is amazing. She's not to shy with her generous use of metaphors, is she?

Partition

Banned
Nicely shot but I hope we don't pretend like that wasn't mundane. Really expected so much more after the hype for practically 2 years.

Nemesis_

Predictable coming from you and the rest of the cult members that are "unimPRESSED"

Except if it "scared" you then you missed the whole fucking point of the film.

I actually think that this interview with VICE was more illuminating - heck it was more impressive than the actual film itself.

I honestly question why this took between one to two years to create or make though. Seems like a large build up for something that would only really be all that interesting if you liked Madonna in the first place.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I didn't see anyone respond to this, so...

If you looked up "chill" in a dictionary you would probably find a picture of Morcheeba. Maybe. If you had a really weird dictionary. Anyway, I've been listening to them for about a decade; they've got a great discography that's absolutely worth digging into. Some classics:

The Sea
Trigger Hippie
Rome Wasn't Built in a Day
What New York Couples Fight About (with Kurt Wagner)
I Am the Spring (this is more recent, so probably not a "classic" per se, but I love it)

There was also a several-year period where the band's vocalist, Skye Edwards, separated from the band. Morcheeba itself kept making music, though; here's some of my favorite tracks with different singers at the helm:
Like a Military Coup
Living Hell (this one is amazing, I need to see whether this singer has done anything else)
Enjoy the Ride

Also, while she was away from the band, Skye released a couple of solo albums under the name Skye. I haven't heard either of them, but if you dig her voice (and I think it's impossible not to) I can't imagine you'd be steered wrong checking them out as well.

Thanks for posting, btw; I didn't know they had a new album releasing soon! I will be perched.

Oooh yes let me get into these, I'm loving the sea so I hope the rest please

OmFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF it's HAPPENING
i458fpeuNjw9b.png
i458fpeuNjw9b.png

Ooooh I am perched for this! Should be pretty funny, I wonder if she'll perform? Because the Uk couldn't give a shit about her residency.

Rihanna is on it this Friday btw for anyone that cares

edit; The Madonna thing was kinda dull. Not sure what I was expecting but she just reiterated her message from her tour that critiques ignorance and hate and promotes freedom of individuality. It's a good message and one that should be given by a lot more people but I don't really get what all the imagery in the video was about

secretprojectrevolution

a film by Madonna and Steven Klein

I loved this, though I wonder how much flak she'll get from non-fans for coming off as "pretentious" like the flak Gaga always seems to get.

Madonna and Gaga need to collaborate already; they have such similar passions. "Art For Freedom" sounds like a Gaga mantra verbatim. Can you imagine the imagery they could come up with? Two strong, expressive females fighting for art in a black-in-white tableau... Lordt I couldn't handle.

But back to Madonna, I love this look on her. Very MDNA, and I wouldn't mind if she kept this look going into her next era, assuming there will be one. It's very her. Futuristic S&M cougar realness.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm confused...

Besides South Street being generally gross, what's so bad about that part of her quote?

Well you made a thread to mock when Bey used the lyric 'the capital B means I'm bout dat life' so you're clearly in tune and concerned with celebrities seeming try-hard, so I'm surprised that you're somewhat nonplussed by what surely rates as among the most try-hard quotes I've read all year. She bought a fake chain, are we supposed to be impressed? Dat street cred.

In all credit to her at least she didn't go down the oft-travelled route of talking about her mysterious and entirely secretive substance addiction.

Robin Thicke – iTunes festival review
Roundhouse, London
The only blurred line left by the end of the show is the one between Robin Thicke and a bawdy Butlins redcoat

2 out of 5

Anyone who's only recently arrived at the work of Robin Thicke as a result of his recent global No 1, Blurred Lines – seven albums into his career – is, it is averred, in for a treat. "Are you ready for the Experience?" bellows his keyboard player before the singer takes the stage. As it turns out, the Experience is full of surprises, not all of them pleasant. The first is Thicke's appearance: with his aviator sunglasses, neatly trimmed hair, dazzling teeth and unbuttoned white shirt, he looks – from a distance, at least – not unlike Simon Cowell.

In addition, if you think that, whatever its considerable musical merits, the Blurred Lines refrain of "you know you want it" is, at best, a bit sleazy for its own good, you only know the half of it. On stage, what Thicke offers is a weird combination of sleaze and cheesy schmaltz.

On the one hand, there are the lyrics to Give It 2 U – "I've got a big dick for you," he sings while patting his crotch, as if to clarify that said big dick isn't sprouting out of his elbow – and his habit of descending into the crowd so that adoring females may paw him. On the other, he ends songs by making gun shapes with his hands and miming blowing smoke off them, performs choreographed routines with his dancers involving much flamboyant clapping of hands, and indulges in between-song banter so oily you fear for the safety of any passing seabirds. When he pretends to machine-gun the audience, you can't help but think of Alan Partridge doing the same thing as he enters the set of Knowing Me, Knowing You. The cumulative effect is like watching a Butlin's redcoat with an erection.

Thicke can certainly sing, and his material skips from pounding house beats decorated with rock guitars to Michael Jacksonish ballads, to loverman slow jams. What he doesn't have is another song as naggingly undeniable as Blurred Lines. Live, he makes vaporous songs seem more vaporous still, thanks to his insistence on dragging them out with extempore vocals: his penchant for improvising would have the Grateful Dead urging him to get a move on.

Still, listening to him sing is infinitely preferable to listening to him talk. "Don't give up on your dreams, because dreams come true – I'm living proof of that," he attests. "I want to thank all my fans. Old fans. New fans. And those of you who aren't fans yet. Hopefully you will be one day." Pause, sincere grin. "I love you all."

ibpKsy1nnEwjkE.gif

Confirms everything I thought; sleazy and creatively bereft. The Simon Cowell and Alan Partridge comparisons are PERFECT.

Fey

Banned
Don't know if digital sales have been posted for this week so let me just
1. Royals (307,000) up 17%
2. Roar (301,000) down 10%
3. Wrecking Ball (301,000) down 37%
4. Dark Horse (194,000)
5. Wake Me up (189,000) down 6%
6. Work Bitch (174,000)
7. Applause (160,000) down 13%
8. Hold On, We're Going Home (150,000) up 5%
9. Berzerk (147,000) down 11%
10. Holy Grail (134,000) down 8%

I loved this, though I wonder how much flak she'll get from non-fans for coming off as "pretentious" like the flak Gaga always seems to get.

Madonna and Gaga need to collaborate already; they have such similar passions. "Art For Freedom" sounds like a Gaga mantra verbatim. Can you imagine the imagery they could come up with? Two strong, expressive females fighting for art in a black-in-white tableau... Lordt I couldn't handle.

But back to Madonna, I love this look on her. Very MDNA, and I wouldn't mind if she kept this look going into her next era, assuming there will be one. It's very her. Futuristic S&M cougar realness.

Yeah, I love this style for Madonna. Hopefully she sticks with it for the next album.

The film itself was definitely underwhelming though lol I would've been pissed if I traveled to wherever it was playing in the middle of a cold night just to see that.

edit: OMG truly the white rihanna

Aguila

#ICONIC
1. Royals (307,000) up 17%
2. Roar (301,000) down 10%
3. Wrecking Ball (301,000) down 37%
4. Dark Horse (194,000)
5. Wake Me up (189,000) down 6%
6. Work Bitch (174,000)
7. Applause (160,000) down 13%
8. Hold On, We're Going Home (150,000) up 5%
9. Berzerk (147,000) down 11%
10. Holy Grail (134,000) down 8%

Royals: 1.0000
Roar: 0.7794

i4wI27Ga49Zya.gif

Will Perra and Miley cockblock her? I'm on the EDGE of my seat.

Fey

Banned
But how could her team think a song called "Work Bitch" would do well without proper promo.
shakeno.gif

Do they really think she's that relevant
shakeno.gif

Gather them sis. No lies in sight.

Mumei

She looks so gorgeous in that pic. Unless you're referring to Sean Penn's face. lol

He's referring to that episode years ago where Sean tied her up and beat her and how seeing them together like that is weird.

I'm surprised you don't know about this!

That's so crazy. Though I guess seeing them together is just as uncomfortable as seeing Rihanna and Chris Brown together... if not less so considering the abuse happened in 1987.

DMeisterJ

Banned
2Q5obmH.jpg

This dog-faced bitch was the person beefing with Rihanna yesterday. I had nothing to add, I just wanted to drag this ugly cunt for filth.

SaintZ

You mean besides the fact that the entire process of choosing the song was a massive promo campaign/stunt?
Massive? Choosing a song online during a limited period of time is a massive promo campaign? It seemed very low key to me.

Anyway Avril had a nice interview with Maria Menounoeowhatever

- When asked about if she was friends with Britney, Christina or Pink she just said "Nope" lol. She did praise Pink as a great singer and talked about how they both were signed by L.A. Reid and stuff.
- Her album is really experimental and both HTNGU and Rock N Roll are the only two songs "like that" (I'm guessing Pop Rock?). The album has ballads and heavier songs besides trying new sounds.

On a side note, "Avril Lavigne" already outpeaked "Goodbye Lullaby" in preorders. Slayyy.
I'm not holding my breath about the final result tho

avrilmicroz1rof.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom