• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

just one question: will this thread continue to have unmarked comicbook spoilers or can I unsubscribe?
and yeah, I know, it's far from the comicbook material, but some things are still in it and I don't want to know about any differences either

Yeah, you guys are casually dropping a huge number of plot elements... I've read the comics, personally, but I know I'd be very annoyed if I hadn't. ;)

I think it would be fair to make it a rule for the thread to spoiler-tag discussion of what happens in the comic...?

KonradLaw

This series should have been handed over the the producers of Banshee. That + Cinemax would have been great for this story.

Wouldn't get as big budget. Plus what's wrong with this team? This is pretty specific type of story, requiring both drama and humor/insanity. I'm not sure anyone on Banshee could pull that off. Plus it's producers are mostly already attached to different projects. Yaitanes is doing Quarry, Doug Jung is doing Scalped etc.

Anway... Boys is kind of like Preacher (in that it mixes brutality with humor), and also made by Ennis. So it will be interesting to see how Cinemax's take on it will compare to AMC's Preacher.

Rur0ni

I read the comic. The show has a little bit of a True Blood feel.
Definitely was thinking that last night. It has it's own kind of wacky direction and humor that will probably stick through the series.

Overall I enjoyed the episode, there's some good potential here. We'll see where they go with it. The comic is probably my favorite comic.

Quidam

So what's the GAF consensus, purely as a TV show? (I don't really mind how it compares to the comics, as I've never read them)

And people doubted this would be any good XD
preacher_cassidy_ray_gilgun_by_digi_matrix-da3nxcp.gif

preacher_tulip_ruth_negga_by_digi_matrix-da3nxbe.gif

Joe Gilgun and Ruth Negga kill it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Avid Preacher fan here, and that was fucking rad! Loved it through and through. Pacing just felt right. I believe the future episodes will be shorter too, so there's that.

But man, they started this just right. I don't particularly care if it isn't a direct adaptation. What we got was GOOD TV, and that's what matters. Seriously hoping this gets good ratings so we end up with more seasons.

Oh, and for those who care, it appears we ARE getting
Saint of All Killers
in the show. Read a couple of rumours.

Avid Preacher fan here, and that was fucking rad! Loved it through and through. Pacing just felt right. I believe the future episodes will be shorter too, so there's that.

But man, they started this just right. I don't particularly care if it isn't a direct adaptation. What we got was GOOD TV, and that's what matters. Seriously hoping this gets good ratings so we end up with more seasons.

Saint of All Killers

We definitely are getting
saint of killers. Graham mactavoish has been cast as him. He played Dwalin in the hobbit trilogy and apparently had a great role in outlander.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
saint of killers. Graham mactavoish has been cast as him. He played Dwalin in the hobbit trilogy and apparently had a great role in outlander.

Uncharted related:
Charlie Cutter is the SoK? Awesome

dyergram

Really enjoyed the pilot. My only issue was some of the cuts were very fight club esq which to me made it feel dated in a way. Cassidy Tulip and Custer all nailed their performances. Show has great potential I wish this show luck with fm some of the things there gonna try and get on tv...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't necessarily understand why you guys who are such big fans want a direct adaptation of the comic. You have the comic for that. Let this be its own thing and supplement that, rather than just directly translate. Watchmen did that and it had no agency unto itself.
But one of the appeal is to watch some of our favourite scenes/moments come to life. I could flip it around and argue that, why would anyone adapt from a source material if they're gonna deviate so much anyway, just make your own thing. :p

Is Joe Gilgan as good as always?
He was the most positive aspect for me, as I expected. Really good casting, Cassidy so far has been nailed.

It's not anywhere as good as the comic series.Even with all the violance in this first episode it's still too tamed down especially when it comes to religious stuff.Still it seems like this can be a preety good show on it's own. I will keep watching but won't expect super disturbing-mind blowing stuff from comic series.

But gotta say they truely nailed Cassidy.
Yeah I agree and hope to be proven wrong.

Saint of All Killers
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Source please? I hope this is true. S2?

I wasn't sold on Jesse last night, but thinking about it today, I'm starting to warm up to him. That smile he gave during the bar fight was the one thing that stood out to me that showed he had potential to grow into the character.

Cass and Tulip are just perfect right away tho. Good god I fucking loved Cass' introduction.

I really didn't like that pilot. Apart from Cassidy's and Arse Face performance, everything felt cheap (editing without momentum or build up, dialogue was weak and uninspired, it was shot in a very boring and flat way, etc). And then little bumps like not having Arse Face drool or the Russian set having cheap snow made out of Styrofoam and white sheets.

I hope they start picking their stride next episode (or the 3rd one) because I wasn't impressed one bit.

Not a fan of
Cassidy losing his glasses
and
John Wayne (or a similar idea) not being part of Jesse psyche
. Both of those elements have real impact on their characters.

I really didn't like that pilot. Apart from Cassidy's and Arse Face performance, everything felt cheap (editing without momentum or build up, dialogue was weak and uninspired, it was shot in a very boring and flat way, etc). And then little bumps like not having Arse Face drool or the Russian set having cheap snow made out of Styrofoam and white sheets.

I hope they start picking their stride next episode (or the 3rd one) because I wasn't impressed one bit.

Not a fan of
Cassidy losing his glasses
and
John Wayne (or a similar idea) not being part of Jesse psyche
. Both of those elements have real impact on their characters.
That last element would seem hokey and cliched in live action.

Just got done watching the first episode. I am familiar with the comiccs and characters but never read them, and I didn't really have very much trouble following what was going on.

How does this compare to the first episode of Outcast?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just got done watching the first episode. I am familiar with the comiccs and characters but never read them, and I didn't really have very much trouble following what was going on.

I liked this more. The tones are really different, the Outcast pilot played everything extremely straight and serious. It does that well, some genuinely unnerving moments in it. But Preacher obviously has a much bigger budget for outlandish effects, plus Tulip and Cassidy got amazing introductions.

I'm going to try and keep up with both.

Corpsepyre

Banned

The opening of Outcast is incredibly sick and disturbing! It keeps at it throughout. Watch it. Two good comic book shows at the same time isn't something we get often.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I had my expectations properly realigned when I read they were exploring the space before the first issue, so I really liked it. The fact that they got a guy who was born to play Cassidy definitely helps things.

IrishNinja

the book is one of my all-time favorites, and ive dreaded an adaptation since i got a copy of the script for the first movie attempt in like...01 or 02 i wanna say?

but this was surprisingly good, and the changes worked here too. jesse & cass' accents didnt click with me at first, but they did grow on me across the ep...im confident the 3 of them are solid casting, just hoping they can all carry some of the rougher character moments down the road.

can't believe i'm actually excited for this now, phew

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
And btw, the directing was fantastic in this episode (hopefully the other ep directors can keep up with stuff like that cornfield car fight) and Tulip was so charismatic in this, the actress really nailed that aspect.

Azzanadra

Read the graphics novels a long while ago, am interested to see how the adapt something even HBO wouldn't touch. I highly suspect that things will be severely different- can someone who has seen the first episode confirm/deny this is the case (so far at least)?

Don't care for the changes they made but honestly I loved this pilot. It was so cartoony at times in style and it's the most unorthodox show I've ever seen on AMC

Helps that I think the 3 main characters are cast great here. Never cared for Dominic Cooper before but he's awesome here. And as expected Ruth and Gilgun kill it

Also cassidy action scene was so good

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Read the graphics novels a long while ago, am interested to see how the adapt something even HBO wouldn't touch. I highly suspect that things will be severely different- can someone who has seen the first episode confirm/deny this is the case (so far at least)?

It's hard to say. The first episode doesn't match up with the comic aside from some basic things to setup the premise. Arseface is there, Tom Cruise exploded, Tulip killed a guy with a corncob and then taught some kids how to make a bazooka. It matches up in spirit, but we haven't really seen how far they'll go and what lines they will cross in regards to religion. Everything is still pretty vague in the show, at the moment.

Stylistically I was sold on this as soon as it started with the hokey 50s scifi intro. Really glad they kept the campy vibe throughout the pilot

IrishNinja

Stylistically I was sold on this as soon as it started with the hokey 50s scifi intro. Really glad they kept the campy vibe throughout the pilot

see initially i thought that a weird fit - but when you get into the zany shit Ennis pulled in this book, it actually works, i think

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That last element would seem hokey and cliched in live action.

Nah it could be done well, see how True Romance handled Elvis for example.

Wasn't impressed with the pilot, but Preacher is my favorite comic ever (or at least tied with Punisher MAX) so my expectations differ from most people.

Nah it could be done well, see how True Romance handled Elvis for example.

Wasn't impressed with the pilot, but Preacher is my favorite comic ever (or at least tied with Punisher MAX) so my expectations differ from most people.

You can make him pop in certain scenes to get a bit deeper into Jesse's psyche. Especially during the scenes where you learn of his past. You hide him a bit in the shadows where only his silhouette is visible. Could've made the show a bit more special where the main character is relying on his childhood invisible friend during tough times. Especially when he feels completely alone.

bengraven

Just started watching.

Anyone else notice that the whisky bottle when Jesse is waking up has a silhouette of the Saint of Killers on it?

Meesh

I've heard nothing but great things about this since they shot the pilot from people who are close to it. I'm confident that this will be a pretty great modernization/adaptation of the source...as much as an hour-long basic cable show can be, anyway. Love the Tulip casting.
Sounds encouraging, I was honestly going to attempt Preacher but was ironically(?) put off by the "teaser" I watched. It felt...damn I don't know, a little undercooked? Weak?

Apt101

That was good. It was like three different types of shows mashed together but it worked. I read a few of the trades years and years ago, but I honestly can barely remember the story beyond the first few issues. I do recall it had that Ennis tone - which this kind of captures, especially with Cassidy. Now I need to find out if the episodes will be available on Amazon the same day they air. If so, I'll buy the season. Otherwise I'll just wait for Netflix.

Top Bottom