• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

I thought it was alright. I heard some people thought it was too slow. I wonder if they watched it live on AMC. Fuck, any show on that network feels slow with how many commercials they have. Seems like it is just 5 min sections of a show fit into a bunch of advertisements.

hydruxo

Watched the pilot this afternoon and I thought it was fantastic. I already love the 3 main characters and I can't wait to see where this show goes next because I know little to nothing about the comics. Joe Gilgun was the highlight of this first ep though, he's perfect for this role.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was alright. I heard some people thought it was too slow. I wonder if they watched it live on AMC. Fuck, any show on that network feels slow with how many commercials they have. Seems like it is just 5 min sections of a show fit into a bunch of advertisements.

The commercials were insane during this, but AMC is almost always bad with them.

Alpende

I haven't read the comics but I really liked the first episode. I have no idea what's going on but I want to know so I'll keep watching.

The fights are great, the characters interesting (cool to see Rudy from Misfits again) and I generally like Dominic Cooper so having him as a lead is a plus.

RangerX

Banned
I just got caught up and I really enjoyed the episode. I've read all the comics so i expected to dislike it after hearing about all the changes but it absolutely captured their spirit. The overarching plot seems the same but there is a lot of smaller differences.

Custer is spot on and so is Cassidy, I'm Irish and Gielgud did a great Cork accent. Its funny actually that they got an Irish actress to play Tulip and an English guy for the Irish part. Tulip seems completely different but I'm liking it.Overall great first episode.

ErichWK

Never read the comics. Just watched the first episode. HOLY SHIT.

My boss at work has all the comics on the book shelf, so i will borrow them

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Custer is spot on and so is Cassidy, I'm Irish and Gielgud did a great Cork accent. Its funny actually that they got an Irish actress to play Tulip and an English guy for the Irish part. Tulip seems completely different but I'm liking it.Overall great first episode.
I'm to the point where I just assume every leading American role on a TV show is a British guy faking it these days, but with Jesse he looked so British it was distracting. His accent was very believable though, and he seems like a very good fit.

Dabanton

I enjoyed that more than I thought I would.

Being british, I'm always wary of brit actors doing southern accents as I can hear their original accents coming through and it takes me slightly out of things. But Cooper did well.

Ruth Negga was great, love her as actress and Gilgun was hilarious as always. I've read all the comics and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

Calabi

I liked it. I'm wondering though and I dont care about spoilers, why didn't the Preacher explode when the thing went in him.

I don't think I said what I thought but it was a really good pilot. It's in the right hands with Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg. Did talking preacher happen yet or is that next week?

tarantino was totally what i thought of while watching

yeah the way this pilot was presented reminded me a lot of kill bill. i hope they keep up the style throughout the season. if it goes more conventional and gritty it runs the risk of being dull.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I know what I'm watching tomorrow.

I liked it. I'm wondering though and I dont care about spoilers, why didn't the Preacher explode when the thing went in him.

Comic spoilers and speculation because the comics don't actually explain why it chose Jesse(aka the Preacher), but
basically the entity that went into Jesse, in the comics at least, is the offspring of a demon and an angel, so it's both good and evil or neither really. It has tremendous power, infinite really, but for some reason it needs a host body. That's why in the show it went into all those spiritual leaders, none of that happens in the comic though. So in the show it first goes into the wholly good African preacher, but since it's technically half demon that host was probably too good, so it went to satanist leader in Russia, but since it's part angel he was too evil. So it went to Tom Cruise, but he's too crazy. But in Jesse he's good but also kind of bad too, or again not really either good or evil but something else. He, like Genesis(the Angel/Demon baby), are torn between two competing natures or have a totally different nature from the rest of the world. They don't explore this in the comic so it will be interesting to see if they do more with it in the show or if all that will be relegated to just the premier and they wont both to explore why it chose Jesse.

Calabi

I know what I'm watching tomorrow.

Comic spoilers and speculation because the comics don't actually explain why it chose Jesse(aka the Preacher), but
basically the entity that went into Jesse, in the comics at least, is the offspring of a demon and an angel, so it's both good and evil or neither really. It has tremendous power, infinite really, but for some reason it needs a host body. That's why in the show it went into all those spiritual leaders, none of that happens in the comic though. So in the show it first goes into the wholly good African preacher, but since it's technically half demon that host was probably too good, so it went to satanist leader in Russia, but since it's part angel he was too evil. So it went to Tom Cruise, but he's too crazy. But in Jesse he's good but also kind of bad too, or again not really either good or evil but something else. He, like Genesis(the Angel/Demon baby), are torn between two competing natures or have a totally different nature from the rest of the world. They don't explore this in the comic so it will be interesting to see if they do more with it in the show or if all that will be relegated to just the premier and they wont both to explore why it chose Jesse.

I figured it was something like that, thanks. I might get the comic.

Just watched the first episode and I think I enjoyed it...just a bit confused as to what the fuck is actually going on. I've never read the comics, I've just heard a bit about it.

What is up with Cassidy? I get that he's supposed to be some sort of demon or something but is he pals with the Preacher? I already clicked on a spoiler in the thread that I wish I wouldn't have so I just want to know if it's a big deal/big reveal.

-Comic spoiler-
That thing that showed up in the church at the end is an offspring of an angel and a demon. I'm guessing it's a big deal...

Alpende

Just watched the first episode and I think I enjoyed it...just a bit confused as to what the fuck is actually going on. I've never read the comics, I've just heard a bit about it.

What is up with Cassidy? I get that he's supposed to be some sort of demon or something but is he pals with the Preacher? I already clicked on a spoiler in the thread that I wish I wouldn't have so I just want to know if it's a big deal/big reveal.

Ignoring your spoiler because I don't want to get spoiled. I just saw Cassidy as a guy that happens to stumble (fall out of the sky) upon the Preacher. After helping him fight, he just moved into the church and the rest of the episodes will probably explore that further.

RangerX

Banned

Hes a vampire. Nothing more mysterious to him than that. Its not a big deal. Yes he becomes friends with him and is his main buddy.

So thanks to my tattoo this just happened

506E3FE3-07C2-4253-BF79-CB714B9C9B36_zpshhwcfkar.jpg

So thanks to my tattoo this just happened

506E3FE3-07C2-4253-BF79-CB714B9C9B36_zpshhwcfkar.jpg

That's super cool :)

As for the show, watched it last night and really enjoyed it, had never heard of the comics so I'm going in fresh.

In saying that I'll watch anything with Jo Gilgun in it, he's going to break out sooner or later, deservedly so.

Nudull

Banned
Saw the pilot twice now. It's hard for me to judge this in comparison to the comic since I haven't read it (but I will), but for now, I'll see where it goes.

How are UK people without Amazon Prime planning on watching this? I was thinking of getting the season pass on PS4 (£22.99 for HD) and doing it that way. I tried one of those dodgy streaming sites and it was low, low quality, almost unwatchable.

Breads

Banned
Watching the directors commentary and the reveal above for SoK's casting made me realize something.

Jesse - English
Tulip - Irish
Cass - English

Emily (new secondary character) - English
Saint of Killers - Scottish

Garth Ennis, original creator - Irish.

UK representation is strong on the show about a Preacher from Texas.

First episode felt really off to me; boring and generic way it was shot and cut. Most of the dialogue felt off and the acting didn't wow me in any way.

Hopeful for the next episode but I'm not holding my breath.

Watching the directors commentary and the reveal above for SoK's casting made me realize something.

Jesse - English
Tulip - Irish
Cass - English

Emily (new secondary character) - English
Saint of Killers - Scottish

Garth Ennis, original creator - Irish.

UK representation is strong on the show about a Preacher from Texas.

That's because Brits are the best actors :p. Probably one of our most successful exports.

Top Bottom