• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Was powered up for me when I got there. Maybe the generator in the volunteer quarters? The room is also accessible from the second floor through a hole in the floor. If you mean the locked door inside the room, activate the engineering bot to open it.

Where is the password to unlock the engineering operator dispenser though?

shiba5

I think I have a bugged sidequest:
Mikhaila's Father. I transferred the file and she called me to come back to my office to listen to it, but there's no file on my PC.
Never mind, it finally showed up.

And I found all the treasure map clues and the code won't work. Um...

~heavy object blocking your way~

"Hey, you need to have the skills to carry heavier objects...come back later"

~proceed to carry lighter objects and just push them into the heavier stuff to knock it out of the way"

Pygrus

The world building in this game is superb. I want more in this universe. I don't know if i should put all the praise at Chris Avellone's feet, but they really hit the mark on this front at least.

I have a really good idea of how the vibe of the station was before the start of the game. Which I think is something that was lacking in the original bioshock. A lot of the side characters actually seem like complex characters and not just slotted into archetypes.

Verdict is still out on the overall story being told in this world, but there's enough questions still pulling me forward at 12 hours played.

Perineum

Kind of feel the idea is that you have to plan your build and not just unlock whatever you want

Yeah it sucks, but I am not messing with any of the Psi abilities. I am just going for full first 3 skill trees if possible. Sucks because I want the one to transform into objects myself to get into rooms. :(

pmunk

Was able to dive into this tonight, put in a solid couple hours.

Quite impressed by the general feel of the world. I never had the pleasure of playing System Shock, but the comments suggesting this picks up the best of BioShock were right on. Not exactly sure how to describe the way that BioShock's general atmosphere made me feel, but Prey is the first time since where I've had that feeling.

Perhaps I'm just a struggler, but I also find the combat early on to be pretty challenging. Maybe just diving in too quickly and trying to be too aggressive.

Regardless, very impressed at first blush and excited to get deeper into the narrative and world in the next week or so.

ymgve

I think there's something bugged about the achievements for reading all emails and listening to all audiologs. I haven't even been to the Bridge yet (been mostly everywhere else though) and it suddenly triggered here. Playing on PC - possibly because I have two profiles?

You need to progress a little further in the story.

That's what I'm trying to do. I'm kind of lost. I got to Morgan's office and did that bit, then I did a lot of exploration in the Lobby, Trauma, and the Machine Shop. Now I don't really know what to do as most things I want to get into require keycards

Had my first crash today. Seeing some more minor dips as well, but still intermittent.

I've probably played 4 hours or so (not counting countless deaths in the
Trauma Center
. Absolutely loving the design and world. Combat is ok, but something feels off. I don't think it's necessarily the input lag some mention, as I'm not sending any delays. Seems more on how fast enemies come at you and the AOE stuff.

One thing I have particularly enjoyed is that the exploration aspect can lead the player to areas they aren't quite ready for early on, such as the
Fabrication Room

Yo Gaf,

How big is the additional install download with the disc version? I've gone full digital this gen, but the near 40AUD price difference is too big to ignore.

Cheers.

Wanderer5

Ha ha 8 hours in, and I got through a ending, sorta.:p

Going screw this shit, and escaping the station!

Now I am encountering all of these
possessed humans, and I am trying to knock out as many I can, through a few of them got their heads blown up. D:

Kind of feel the idea is that you have to plan your build and not just unlock whatever you want

Definitely, but I'm finding I situationally need to unlock things just to survive at this point. Hoping to gather more Neuromods because I basically know what skills I want to go for.

Edit: Freezasaurus, sorry I have no idea where I picked the card up. I imagine there's a waypoint if it's required for a mission?

pa22word

Honestly I don't think they went far enough. PC is way too diversely strong at the beginning of the game imo, they should have started you at a "lower level" so to speak and let you level into more strangely unique builds.

Also, I've never liked the Bioshock style tonic rpg system vs a traditional stat screen. There's nothing more frustrating than in say Bioshock 2 to have the most powerful melee perk always be at the same spot every single time no matter what you do. Let me do my own builds, damn it! If I want to level into a melee monster by the 3rd level and be shit at guns that's my business. I understand devs are terrified of players screwing up builds (even dark souls packs stats in a way that makes it almost impossible to screw a build up), but rig building just has never felt as good without a real stat screen.

Wanderer5

The minigame is a bit clunky, but I really enjoy hacking in this game. Definitely better than say the pipe minigame in Bioshock heh. Going to max out on hacking for sure.

That's true only very early on.
Later, you get the fabrication plans for neuromods, and you can scavenge to fabricate lots of neuromods which is necessary if you want to use psi abilities.

pa22word

The minigame is a bit clunky, but I really enjoy hacking in this game. Definitely better than say the pipe minigame in Bioshock heh. Going to max out on hacking for sure.

I still think SS2's hacking is the best of class. Simple, elegant, and extremely fast. As well it had to be because it all happened in real time.

Bioshock 2 is a close second, but I feel it loses points for being /too/ simple. Still though as to pipe dream I think it goes without saying that despite me thinking I'd never be praising what amounts to a QTE replacing game mechanics...yeah pipe dream was that bad.

In all honesty, I think that surprised me most about this game is the scale. Nothing really feels like wasted space, yet there's a ton of places to be.

Does combat get more enjoyable as you get more abilities? That's been my one complaint with the game so far (especially coming from Dishonored, which had excellent combat).

Tovarisc

Does combat get more enjoyable as you get more abilities? That's been my one complaint with the game so far (especially coming from Dishonored, which had excellent combat).

You can go all Corvo by stacking alien powers, but even without them you get quite powerful as weapon damage goes up through perks and upgrade kits.

Tovarisc

Compare firepower values, why fancy gun has worse stats?

uuuntitledthsbp.png

Megasoum

Banned
Also isn't the golden gun the pre-order bonus? I'm guessing they don't want people to start the game with super overpowered stuff.

Lijik

Realizing I didnt need to hunt for stuff to mimic in the environment, i could just drop some junk out of my inventory any time I want and use that has been such an obvious in hindsight game changer for me.

RawNuts

This game just continues to impress me.

Psychotronics area spoilers:
There is an area in Psychotronics featuring a mimic in isolation and three buttons that will trigger doors to reveal objects to be shown to the mimic and it will mimic what is shown to them. You can go around to the other side and place different objects in the boxes and the mimic will copy them.

So what I did was cleared out the box, pushed the button and then quickly ran around and crawled into the window area to be shown to the mimic, and sure enough, the mimic copied Morgan:http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/StunWar/video/30718865

This blew my mind, is it something they're regularly capable of doing?

Stoze

I havent found any major use for the mimic ability. Did it a couple times and it was funny but not sure it has a real use.
It lets you go small and fit into holes to access a variety of places, including getting through the broken shredded doors. With the last upgrade you can turn into an operator and fly or become a turret.

There is an area in Psychotronics featuring a mimic in isolation and three buttons that will trigger doors to reveal objects to be shown to the mimic and it will mimic what is shown to them. You can go around to the other side and place different objects in the boxes and the mimic will copy them.

So what I did was cleared out the box, pushed the button and then quickly ran around and crawled into the window area to be shown to the mimic, and sure enough, the mimic copied Morgan:http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/StunWar/video/30718865

That's awesome and hilarious. Regularly, no. Capable? I'm guessing at some point yeah.

No, I'd almost assume it was a programming oversight with the mimic coded to morph into whatever 3d model appeared in there.

I havent found any major use for the mimic ability. Did it a couple times and it was funny but not sure it has a real use.
- Stealth/hide in plain sight
- Get through small places
- Synergy with other abilities
- Upgraded versions let you control more advanced items
- Pass through flames and other hazards unharmed

Repo Man / Tech Officer / K
asper
help?

I can't find Kasper at all. I got "exterior power station grid." I tried the bit above the Cargo Bay even though it's not the right place and that location was covered up.

Top Bottom