• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Any recommendations on what skills to upgrade first with neuromods? I've been saving them and haven't really done much yet. I have about 15. I'm not too far in. A couple hours.

You may not need to get it right at the start, but I do recommend you pick up Necropsy pretty early on so you can start collecting the extra materials from Typhon. Investing in the skill more than pays for itself when you're able to use that extra exotic matter to fabricate Neuromods. Likewise, the skill that improves recycling yield will probably also pay for itself over time in conjunction with the Necropsy materials but it may take longer to reach that point.

Kard8p3

ugh, early game spoilers

trying to get into the morgue is annoying as fuck. I legit waited 10 over ten minutes for the in-game clock to be at exactly half past the hour, and the fucking robot still didn't go in

So I tried the demo on PS4 and the weird way it handled its music/audio really killed it for me. I have read they were going to address this in some way. Have they? If so, did their changes make enough of a difference? The way this game handled its audio in the demo was like nails down a chalkboard for me. It was a total deal breaker.

ugh, early game spoilers

trying to get into the morgue is annoying as fuck. I legit waited 10 over ten minutes for the in-game clock to be at exactly half past the hour, and the fucking robot still didn't go in
Trying to get to the body
?

Do you have the crossbow
?

Kard8p3

?

Do you have the crossbow
?

Ahh shit, totally forgot about that! I can go make one. tyty

edit: While I'm in that general area I do have another question..

Where do I do with this ground resistor? I already repaired the one you find a bit further ahead and inserted it, so I thought maybe this one had a purpose as well.

About 15 hours in.
Currently located at:
Deep Storage

Aside from the iffy PS4 port, my only complaint is the combat. The enemies aren't much fun to fight.

The game is excellent, I'm enjoying it much more than I expected after Dishonored 2 and the demo. It helps that the combat and controls are significantly snappier on PC. I'm currently having a lot of fun clearing out all the rooms with turrets.

Decided to check out System Shock 2 again, like actually give it a real shot, and you can feel the cross-generation connections clear as day. In the inventory and stats and weapons/skills and the station design and so on

That's why us old Shock veterans are going nuts over this game.

30 hours in just finally got to
Deep storage after doing tons of stuff in crew quarters.

peakish

?

Do you have the crossbow
?
I loved this part.

I was expecting the robot to do their thing as the email suggested so I was surprised that didn't work. Then I started thinking about other ways to get in and suddenly remembered these crossbows that I didn't think would be useful. Went back to the replicator, crafted one and got through the room and it felt oh so satisfying to figure even a simple thing like that out on your own.

Still kind of sad that the robot thing didn't work but eh.

d00d3n

Any recommendations on what skills to upgrade first with neuromods? I've been saving them and haven't really done much yet. I have about 15. I'm not too far in. A couple hours.

If you want to pick the first three areas clean, get control of all defensive drones and set up good turrets in strategic spots, you will need:

Hacking 3 (Hacking 4 is only used on one door in the first area that can be bypassed by other means). Hacking 2 is enough for almost all exploration, but you need skill level 3 to hack the drones in the hardware labs and a computer in the trauma center.
Fully upgraded repair and the skill that allows you to break down items and dead drones for spare parts. Makes it viable to fortify all turrets that you see and repair is used quite often in puzzle solving as well.
The necropsy and recycling skills to get a higher materials yield out of your exploration
A couple of inventory upgrades to make looting materials less of a hassle

After doing that I have started investing in the security weapon upgrade path. I am regretting it a bit, though, seems more efficient to buy firearms 1 and firearms 2.

Leverage 1-3 and fully upgraded mobility have been completely redundant in the first areas from what I can see.

Anung

Un Rama
I spent most of last night just completing and exploring one area, the crew quarters, which was bloody amazing.

One annoyance I have his fighting technopaths is hard enough let alone them being out in space. In fact fighting cystoids in space is annoying due to fighting with the controls.

Kard8p3

I spent most of last night just completing and exploring one area, the crew quarters, which was bloody amazing.

One annoyance I have his fighting technopaths is hard enough let alone them being out in space. In fact fighting cystoids in space is annoying due to fighting with the controls.

When it comes to technopaths...
Q-Beam is the best

It would be nice if there was a way to sort and filter emails based on sender/recipient. I've enjoyed listening to transcribes and hearing familiar names from e-mails, and getting to delve into their email history is fun. I just wish it were more convenient to reread since new information gives clarity to older messages.

Anyone know what that password
in the trauma centre where you kill that infected guy in his cell , a 4 digit code is sprawled on the wall

Stoze

It would be nice if there was a way to sort and filter emails based on sender/recipient. I've enjoyed listening to transcribes and hearing familiar names from e-mails, and getting to delve into their email history is fun. I just wish it were more convenient to reread since new information gives clarity to older messages.
Yeah I would really love that or a search option.

Cleaned out Crew Quarters, but I'm debating on whether to (Crew Quarters Cook sidequest spoilers)
kill the Cook or not. I have him unconscious in the kitchen.

nOoblet16

Yeah I would really love that or a search option.

Cleaned out Crew Quarters, but I'm debating on whether to (Crew Quarters Cook sidequest spoilers)
kill the Cook or not. I have him unconscious in the kitchen.
Killing him is the only objective, knocking him out does nothing.

noomi

On pc is there a quick way to take a medkit? I hate the wheel menu... there is no purpose for it when playing with m+kb

Arklite

I'm going at a snails pace with everything there is to find. The maps are deceptively dense and rewarding to unlock and search. One minor critique is the random scavenging can feel detached from everything else. I can't expect story bits for everything but the excitement of finding ruined testing or machining rooms falters a bit when it offers interesting props with no detail or flavor text accompanying it. Still, the discovery is fun on its own.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So is it just me or the further you get into the game that

It becomes a real pain in the ass getting out of the lift at the lobby without getting killed ? Efverytime I go down there now there's like 5 - 6 creatures, including the psychic Typhons, right outside the lift door ready to fuck up my shit. I really should have concentrated on opening the airlocks for a time before progressing the game, now the games full of harder enemies milling about damn it

red731

Sorry for the OT, but this reminds me of Prey.

Ferofluid lava lamp.

YrAAG6F.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1880422811/ferrofluid-a-symbol-of-the-future

Shari

So is it just me or the further you get into the game that

It becomes a real pain in the ass getting out of the lift at the lobby without getting killed ? Efverytime I go down there now there's like 5 - 6 creatures, including the psychic Typhons, right outside the lift door ready to fuck up my shit. I really should have concentrated on opening the airlocks for a time before progressing the game, now the games full of harder enemies milling about damn it

This is annoying to me too, I understand why they're there but considering the supplies its a pain to have to reclean areas. Thyphoons and mimics I undersantd, but the lobby gets ridiculously busy.

Roussow

Crossbow mechanics:
So I've used it to hit the monitors through gaps in the glass, I've tried to use it to hit the buttons to manually unlock doors from the inside, doesn't seem to work, or am I not hitting it correctly.

After the demo, I decided I wasn't going to get this because of the sluggish feel and the clumsy combat. But being a massive dishonoured, bioshock, Deus ex fan I had one eye on the reception. Impressions were good and I took the plunge. I'm actually more tolerant of the combat this time, and am finding myself fascinated by all the little nooks and crannies that contain information about the story and the environment. I think I'm gonna love this game.

Hellers

Crossbow mechanics:
So I've used it to hit the monitors through gaps in the glass, I've tried to use it to hit the buttons to manually unlock doors from the inside, doesn't seem to work, or am I not hitting it correctly.

That definitely does work.

In space? Stun gun and run.

I thought I was playing for ten hours. Turns out that number is 16-17 and my side quest log is packed.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
12 hours in Im at the point where
just went to Alex's office to see that vid of me.
About how far am I into the story?

Also stumped on what Neuromods to hit next. Decided no Typhoid ones for this playthrough. I spec'd in survival early on. So I already have 300 health, med kit knowledge, Gun Damage and Gunsmith abilities. In addition to those I have Leverage II, 20% Recycle yield increase, Repair II, full inventory, first mobility upgrade, Combat Focus I. Been thinking about getting the full mobility upgrade and more Combat Focus to really go super human on these alien bastards.

Also had a really cool moment earlier in G.U.T.S. when
you go back and it is further infested, I tried to avoid a Weaver but an objective was near it and it wouldnt leave me alone. Said fuck it, went to one end of the area we were in, turned around and gunned it on my boosters. Pulled out the shotty, basically played chicken with the thing pulling a little out last minute, popped combat focus, and blasted that fucker out of existence before it could even react.
Felt very powerful. That is a good thing this game does, the ebb and flow how powerful you are and new enemies putting you in your place. A perfect example is in the Crew Quarters,
when you first go there and immediately have to run from the Nightmare initially with the sicko cook basically mocking you in the background as you scramble around. Just after you can go into the station bar and activate a set for a show, a motif to attract nearby enemies and execute them to some kick ass music. A complete juxtaposition in situations, but I think it reflects most of Prey's combat loop pretty well.
There are other things I could gush about the game, but that is what currently is on my mind.

After the demo, I decided I wasn't going to get this because of the sluggish feel and the clumsy combat. But being a massive dishonoured, bioshock, Deus ex fan I had one eye on the reception. Impressions were good and I took the plunge. I'm actually more tolerant of the combat this time, and am finding myself fascinated by all the little nooks and crannies that contain information about the story and the environment. I think I'm gonna love this game.

Combat is still my biggest problem with it probably. There is so much good though and I got used to it. Have to say, when I see PC vids I am green with envy. Game looks so smooth there. Thing is, I dont think the consoles aiming should be this stunted still. Ah well, maybe a future patch will remedy it some.

Natural

?

Do you have the crossbow
?

Actually did this mission yesterday - smashed the window and shot the button. Only took me about 10hrs into the game to figure out an use for the weapon haha.

Has anyone ran into a glitch when leaving the Crew Quarters to go back to the Aborteum and something from your inventory disappears? Seems to be whatever is at the top of your inventory but I had it happen with the Q-Beam and again with the Shotgun, makes no difference even if equipped and assigned to the dpad. Had to cut my losses and sacrifice my Psi replenish items.

Skulldead

Sorry but G.U.T.S. section was horrible on nightmare, a chance there not a lot of get and it's pretty straightforward. The FOV is horrible on ps4, make item pop up everywhere, hard to explore that section. But the next area is.... superb.

Anyone else like me that always want to go explore area that you're not suppose to go just to do optional side mission ? The ship is so huge i think i'll never see the end of all the place. The backtracking is so fun, also like the fact that enemies only spawn when you have to backtrack a area for sidequest. This was the think i like the less on SS2/bioshock that enemies respawn all the time.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Sorry but G.U.T.S. section was horrible on nightmare, a chance there not a lot of get and it's pretty straightforward. The FOV is horrible on ps4, make item pop up everywhere, hard to explore that section. But the next area is.... superb.

Anyone else like me that always want to go explore area that you're not suppose to go just to do optional side mission ? The ship is so huge i think i'll never see the end of all the place. The backtracking is so fun, also like the fact that enemies only spawn when you have to backtrack a area for sidequest. This was the think i like the less on SS2/bioshock that enemies respawn all the time.

Enemies respond hard af though in this game. I just returned to the lobby for the first time since the start of the game. Weaver, technopath, and who knows what else lurking in there. I did not open the elevator doors.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the PS4 version... do the issues existing on X1 and I'm just not that sensitive?

I've been playing on Xbox One, and haven't really seen any issues with input lag or performance. Image quality isn't that hot though. I avoided PS4 due to the demos input lag, and avoided pc due to the developers history of shoddy pc ports.

In hindsight, I guess I should have stuck with pc (i have a 980ti)... but the x1 version seems solid at least for me.

Skulldead

Enemies respond hard af though in this game. I just returned to the lobby for the first time since the start of the game. Weaver, technopath, and who knows what else lurking in there. I did not open the elevator doors.

Yeah I've reach that moment yesterday, had to go back there for a sidequest... this was insane ! I think it's a good idea, it prevent that you can always come back to same place to recycle, heal, suit repair and create gear.

That's why us old Shock veterans are going nuts over this game.
I think it was you who did that big System vs Bio Shock post, right? That's what convinced me to try SS2 again. You can definitely see how this is so much a System Shock successor when you play the two back to back; I didn't expect to the similarities to be so readily obvious

Although SS2's immersive approach to starting stat choices is genius. I'd take that over clicking menu icons any day

Top Bottom