• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I've been playing all day on Xbone, and I have no idea where the control complaints stem from.

They're not perfect, but certainly far from the complaining I read about before buying.

My biggest complaint so far is that the little mimics do way too much damage.

Xe4

Banned
I've been playing all day on Xbone, and I have no idea where the control complaints stem from.

They're not perfect, but certainly far from the complaining I read about before buying.

I'm also playing on the XB1, but I think they come from the PS4 version.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What to do.... what to do.... should I even do anything.... ?

xliV16m.jpg

2IRseui.gif

magimix

Possibly platform centric. I own the game on PC, but played the demo on both PS4 and Xbox One - and the PS4 version had real bad (BAD!) issues with input lag and general sluggishness. There was a day-1 upddate for the game, but it sounded like a 'mitigate the sympton' thing, rather than a proper fix for whatever the underlying issues were.

psychotron

You are correct. It's more pronounced on the Ps4. Though you can adapt to it, ps4 probably shouldn't be the platform to use if you have other options.

I own a Pro and bought on XBone because of input lag on PS4. It really pisses me off because I'm sacrificing image quality because they couldn't keep their promise about fixing the lag.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I'm really hating how underpowered you feel in this game.

You die too quick and take way too much damage, Imo.

That's the strategic aspect. Rushing headlong into battle is the worst approach

Pick your fights, run away if you have to, set up traps and ambushes, divide and conquer, use enemy weaknesses against them, sneak around to get the best position, block up doorways to buy time and create cover, disable and stun

XaosWolf

Can't get back into Neuromod and now there's a sort important quest there. For fuck's sake. >=|

If you want an instant win button, just invest in the Combat reflexes mod.

Granjinha

uhh so

how many turrets do i have to place at the entrance to make her ok with opening it?

at cargo bay i mean

it's the portable one they want, right?

edit: forget it, just saw the plans at the whiteboard

aravuus

Pretty sure dropping the difficulty level down literally just makes you receive less and deal more damage, so you could try that.

I played a lot of it on easy and thought it was fine. Actually even came close to dying a couple of times.

Damn you could really go wild with early access to the Neuromod fabrication plan and the recycling exploit. Anyone do this?

It's tempting. I feel like the game hides too much behind Neuromods. It sucks that you have to spend them just so you can keep using weapon upgrade kits, for example.

That's the strategic aspect. Rushing headlong into battle is the worst approach

Pick your fights, run away if you have to, set up traps and ambushes, divide and conquer, use enemy weaknesses against them, sneak around to get the best position, block up doorways to buy time and create cover, disable and stun

This is good advice.

Like a kid with his favorite blanky, I literally have carried a turret with me into every room i go into. set it up at the entrance, and know exactly where i can run back to if shit pops off, so the turret can take care of the rest.

It isn't fool proof with some of the later enemies, but there are opportunities to place multiple at a time for tough fights.

I placed three in the entry way to the trauma center and kited both the phantoms back to get a face full of turrets and this was like an hour or two into the game.

you can even throw them up into higher areas if you need to goo gun your way up somewhere.

turrets for life.

Damn you could really go wild with early access to the Neuromod fabrication plan and the recycling exploit. Anyone do this?

It's tempting. I feel like the game hides too much behind Neuromods. It sucks that you have to spend them just so you can keep using weapon upgrade kits, for example.
I think it's all part of the commitment and build freedom. If you want to be gun focused, you can do that, but you're going to have to commit to that. If you want to no guns/wrench + powers build, you can do that too.

By making you need to invest in guns instead of making guns more freely accessible than other options, you have to actually think about your build and approach

This is good advice.

Like a kid with his favorite blanky, I literally have carried a turret with me into every room i go into. set it up at the entrance, and know exactly where i can run back to if shit pops off, so the turret can take care of the rest.

It isn't fool proof with some of the later enemies, but there are opportunities to place multiple at a time for tough fights.

I placed three in the entry way to the trauma center and kited both the phantoms back to get a face full of turrets and this was like an hour or two into the game.

you can even throw them up into higher areas if you need to goo gun your way up somewhere.

turrets for life.

You have become the turret lord.

turret_lord.png

I kinda did that, I accidentally stumbled in to fabrication and was able to get unlimited neuromods, Except I didn't do the exploit, even without it, it kinda makes everything easier. I never really feared anything because I could always recycle something for another mod.

I think it's all part of the commitment and build freedom. If you want to be gun focused, you can do that, but you're going to have to commit to that. If you want to no guns/wrench + powers build, you can do that too.

By making you need to invest in guns instead of making guns more freely accessible than other options, you have to actually think about your build and approach

I get that it wants you to commit one way or the other and there's a roleplaying aspect, but I always feel like games should be as generous as they can with their toys. Let players have access to have as much goodies as possible. I just think that's more fun.

I also don't like it when games limit your weapons through inventory space. Doom got it right way back in the early 90s. It just let you gradually collect all the weapons and then have fun mixing and matching.

I get that it wants you to commit one way or the other and there's a roleplaying aspect, but I always feel like games should be as generous as they can with their toys. Let players have access to have as much goodies as possible. I just think that's more fun.

I also don't like it when games limit your weapons through inventory space. Doom got it right way back in the early 90s. It just let you gradually collect all the weapons and then have fun mixing and matching.
Limits allow for meaningful choices and consequences. If you can do everything, have access to as much as you want, then why do anything but the most effective option?

Mifec

uhh so

how many turrets do i have to place at the entrance to make her ok with opening it?

at cargo bay i mean

it's the portable one they want, right?

edit: forget it, just saw the plans at the whiteboard

But I didn't even use them, I used combat focus and killed everything before the door was fully open cuz I was too scared of the people there dying.

If you don't have combat focus use more than 4.

Limits allow for meaningful choices and consequences. If you can do everything, have access to as much as you want, then why do anything but the most effective option?

Obviously there should be some level of choice and progression, but skill and upgrade trees can also be too restrictive and lock too much off. IMO, obviously.

What to do.... what to do.... should I even do anything.... ?

2IRseui.gif

n2cwfOC.gif

I did it. I felt bad though. There are a few choices like this later on that are just kind of quiet moral dilemmas that have no real bearing on the story (that I know of, haven't finished it yet) and exist purely to make you squirm a bit. Reminds me of SOMA in that regard.

teokrazia

The more I experiment my own solutions the more the game surprises me.
The work with level design is majestic, really the best thing seen in this 'genre' since the first Deus Ex.

Granjinha

is there any way to turn off the objective markers/interface? i'm on PC.

But I didn't even use them, I used combat focus and killed everything before the door was fully open cuz I was too scared of the people there dying.

If you don't have combat focus use more than 4.

i put 6 in there and used the nullifier grenades on the phantoms/weavers. They died in about 10 seconds (or less) lol

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Had a bit of a nightmare with my CPU pump dying earlier so I'm bored without my PC but remembered Prey had a demo on PS4 which I've just finished and I liked what I saw which was very little, they gave you just enough of a taste to want more. I think I'll definitely be getting this on PC when mine is back up and running. One negative though is the dramatic music or whatever you'd call it, it's so loud and persistent, it almost seemed bugged in the demo?

Had a bit of a nightmare with my CPU pump dying earlier so I'm bored without my PC but remembered Prey had a demo on PS4 which I've just finished and I liked what I saw which was very little, they gave you just enough of a taste to want more. I think I'll definitely be getting this on PC when mine is back up and running. One negative though is the dramatic music or whatever you'd call it, it's so loud and persistent, it almost seemed bugged in the demo?

The persistent combat music issue is fixed in the full game.

Jb

The work with level design is majestic, really the best thing seen in this 'genre' since the first Deus Ex.

This. I'm not super far into it but my favorite thing about this game is how coherent yet surprising the station is. It doesn't make the mistake I feel the 2 previous Deus Ex made when it comes to level design, which was how predictable and artificial a lot of it was.

Also the incentive they give you for not using the psy powers is pretty clever. I can already tell this is a game I'll replay at least once.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished it. Ending spoilers ahead, don't click if you haven't beaten.

So I did pretty much all the side quests and saved everyone I could, so Alex and friends decided to let me live. Get the same ending regardless of whether or not I blew up Talos 1 or activated the Nullwave.

Just out of curiosity, what's the other major ending? They decide to kill you?

The more I experiment my own solutions the more the game surprises me.

This. I'm not super far into it but my favorite thing about this game is how coherent yet surprising the station is. It doesn't make the mistake I feel the 2 previous Deus Ex made when it comes to level design, which was how predictable and artificial a lot of it was.

Also the incentive they give you for not using the psy powers is pretty clever. I can already tell this is a game I'll replay at least once.
Yeah, after what I've played and seeing similar sentiments, I can't fathom how someone can come away with this perspective on the game
There's no truly immersive space here beyond the first mysterious half hour. There's simply the next objective, and any motivation to marvel at Talos 1 as a sheer human accomplishment and mourn what the aliens have done to it is muted at best.
http://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/prey

Like I understand how people's experiences with games are hugely subjective and can vastly differ based on myriad factors, but reading stuff like that feels like I played a completely different game than the one in that review. I can't recall ever feeling like that with a game's critical reception before

Been exploring the arboretum for the first time. I take it I'll be back here later to access the
crew quarters
and fight
the nightmare
? At the moment I can't access the former (no keycard) and the latter seems like something I really don't want to mess with right now.

DeaDPo0L84

I play on a standard ps4 and haven't had any issues. Granted I play on a monitor so that might alleviate the supposed input lag. The only problem I've really had is a couple times where my character seems to drift/jerk towards one side a couple times even when I'm not holding the controller. Its really strange but hasn't happened since.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Just finished the game, clocked in around 16 hours, though I only did around 2/3 of the sidequests, the ending is quite interesting, and I can't wait for more people to finish the game so everyone can talk more about the ending.

I'll be doing a second playthrough in the future for sure, there's some stuff I've missed.

Freeman76

Just the usual gaf drama queens. Its really not much different on PS4PRO, but gaf would have you believe otherwise.

Nah. One of my friends at Prey Discord server made the picture.

It is pretty funny, though

It's pretty good.

I came into the game knowing pretty much nothing and my only complaint so far is that I can't put turrets in my inventory.

I wanna be able to pack like three and just take em with me everywhere.

DeaDPo0L84

Wait wait wait, this STILL hasn't been patched and I'm assuming works on all platforms? It can be a pain finding certain types of materials so this would be useful but obviously be abused.

Top Bottom