• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

GHG

Gold Member
Looking at some of the neuromods I'm neglecting this time round I think I'm going to do a predator style run next time. Maximum speed, maximum leverage, maximum stealth, maximum health & stamina.

Should be fun.

Wanderer5

I had to drop the difficulty to easy and I don't notice any difference from normal. I would suck dick for some ammo right now.

Them moments when I was lacking/very low on ammo, so I try hitting some of the harder enemies that I have to fight with the wrench and praying simultaneously without losing much of med and suit kits.:p

aravuus

Looking at some of the neuromods I'm neglecting this time round I think I'm going to do a predator style run next time. Maximum speed, maximum leverage, maximum stealth, maximum health & stamina.

Should be fun.

Probably going to do the same if I ever get around to replaying this game.

Not like I've got much choice, cause it's gonna be a no-power run anyway.

Jb

Apologies if it's been answered before but do enemies respawn each time you load in to an area you've already cleared of hostiles?

Apologies if it's been answered before but do enemies respawn each time you load in to an area you've already cleared of hostiles?

What usually happens is that as the story progresses, newer and tougher enemies will appear in previously-cleared areas.

Otherwise, I can only think of one or two instances where enemies outright respawned, and I might be wrong about those too.

i'm at 27 hours so far and still going strong. exploring every nook and cranny and trying to do all the sidequests.

nope, only after story and mission progress

SZips

For those with issues with the audio balance, crashing issues, and/or corrupt save issues...

They released a beta patch for the game through Steam. Just opt into the beta and it will download roughly 500MB. It fixed my issues with the game crashing repeatedly in the last half. The only problem I noticed with this patch is that now some of the audio is far too loud. I had to lower both effects volume and dialogue volume by a bit. Keep in mind that if you opt out of the beta, it may screw your saves over, so YMMV.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1334600128975623840/

you should already be doing this for any game that lets you manually save, but make sure you have multiple saves.

i ran into a game breaking bug in the mission Shipping and Receiving. i completed the objectives but the NPC who gave me the mission would just stand there.

GHG

Gold Member
you should already be doing this for any game that lets you manually save, but make sure you have multiple saves.

i ran into a game breaking bug in the mission Shipping and Receiving. i completed the objectives but the NPC who gave me the mission would just stand there.

To be honest for any game like this where you can permanently fuck yourself you should have several save files. I've used all 20 slots in this and just rotate them. Relying on auto saves is a fools game.

I couldn't imagine playing something like Skyrim or The Witcher 3 without multiple saves as well.

mxgt

Banned

Should be fun.

Hah I was planning on doing something similar

My first playthrough I'm doing no Psi skills, next time I'm going all out with speed and general craziness. Should play a lot different which I am looking forward to.

My first playthrough I'm doing no Psi skills, next time I'm going all out with speed and general craziness. Should play a lot different which I am looking forward to.

aren't there supposed to be way more
Nightmare
encounters if you gain too many psi powers?

I just had a side quest I've already finished, pop up a complete message and then immediately a fail message and the quest text changed in the log.

Late game side quest:
Help Luther Glass

The quest was a trap by military operators and Luther has been dead the entire game.

Stupid bugs

lol, same thing happened to me.

Stoze

If you're doing no PSI skills, then you will be going all out with speed and craziness at some point. All those things they listed are in the human skill tree and take no PSI.

Fully upgraded mobility, leverage, and combat focus makes you feel like a god.

Carm

I just had a side quest I've already finished, pop up a complete message and then immediately a fail message and the quest text changed in the log.

Late game side quest:
Help Luther Glass

The quest was a trap by military operators and Luther has been dead the entire game.

Stupid bugs

Late game side quest:
Help Luther Glass

Stupid bugs

Yeah, that exact thing happened to me. It seems like it fails as soon as you enter the
Shuttle Bay
, and I would swear I'd already had the quest marked off as Completed.

Carm

Yeah, that exact thing happened to me. It seems like it fails as soon as you enter the
Shuttle Bay
, and I would swear I'd already had the quest marked off as Completed.

Went back to a previous save right after completing the quest. I stayed in the area and it eventually failed. Doesn't seem to be related to loading into a new area.

Sevenfold

I am so fucking wrapped up in this world man it's awesome. Did not expect a Bioshock sequel but that's exactly what I got. I honestly expected to refund but it's keeping me away from Zelda MK8 Nier Automata even Rocket League. Amazing game.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Only a few hrs in but only bug so far was the
phantom
in the room with the safe and the chem element puzzle spawning outside the magic repairing glass. Hope he didn't drop anything important.

Skulldead

​​Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
----->Also addresses some additional crashes on map loads.
Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.
Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.
Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.
Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.
Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.
Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation.
Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms
Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.
Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.

Haha this one was biggest beta testing failure i saw since a long time haha Happy to see they correct it pretty fast. Can't wait for ps4 patch !

I'm at the point where I'm going to sit and wait for a patch which will hopefully fix the lost items bug. This is getting ridiculous. It's not just happening around the arboretum or the elevator - I'm getting it when I try to go outside from anywhere now. I'm tired of saving every two minutes, scrutinizing my inventory constantly, reloading saves and shuffling items around in the hope that it takes something non-essential.

It doesn't always take items from the first row, it appears - now my first row is empty, 2nd is full of food, so the game proceeds to take a full stack of items from my third row. I reloaded my save from an hour and a half prior in order to reclaim the weapon and ammo I lost, but since then I've lost all my rad medication, a full stack of spare parts, and a full stack of suit repair kits. Reloading a save and shuffling a non-essential item into the same slot only means that it takes from a *different* slot. There's no way to work around it unless I feel like reloading constantly until it takes something I don't mind losing.

Now I'm realizing this has probably happened to me a lot before and I just didn't realize it. There were a lot of times where I could have sworn I had a lot more of something than I did but chalked it up to not paying enough attention.

I just don't think I'm willing to play the game like this. I hope they find a way to fix it.

SomTervo

From a few videos i saw, this game looks somewhat bad graphically. Flashlight not casting shadows kind of bad.

Graphically it's really good. Not amazing, but really good. Better than many games, functions exactly as it should. Doesn't have great faces, though.

Weird flashlight complaint. A) it's not like that's technically easy, B) the flashlight is fired straight out of your vision so you can't really see the shadows anyway, IIRC?

pa22word

For those with issues with the audio balance, crashing issues, and/or corrupt save issues...

They released a beta patch for the game through Steam. Just opt into the beta and it will download roughly 500MB. It fixed my issues with the game crashing repeatedly in the last half. The only problem I noticed with this patch is that now some of the audio is far too loud. I had to lower both effects volume and dialogue volume by a bit. Keep in mind that if you opt out of the beta, it may screw your saves over, so YMMV.

Yeah, audio seems even more fucked now. Had to google how to get the reactor room keycard because I didn't hear what the gal was trying to tell me because I left a turret by the door and he was yammering about going rambo or something, lulz

Perineum

I put this over in the review thread:

I've only experienced two weird bugs where the game randomly gets rid of an item from my inventory and I only realized it was gone like 15 minutes later. First time was my fully upgraded stun gun, and I thought oh maybe I was dumb and recycled it, but later it was all of my med kits which I would never recycle or split, so yeah. That's on PS4.

Giving this game a 4/10 is beyond moronic. I haven't even completed it at the 25 hour mark so far and I already want a sequel it's been so damn good.

Right now my list of games in order of greatest to least great Ive played and completed this year:

Horizon
Persona 5
Nier
Resident Evil 7

I'm about 99% sure Prey will take over that Horizon spot depending on the ending. This game oozes atmosphere and does world building that only the souls franchise has been able to capitalize on. Quests are done quite intelligently and obstacles can be overcome in multiple ways. This game is a work of love, and the designers went well and beyond to make every piece of its world and how you interact in it be immersive and fun.

4/10? 4 out of 10? My God. Go throw that number at Skyrim and Fallout then if you are the high hero of bugs. Those games get a pass everytime for all the shit they have wrong with them, but Prey has one that is fixed almost immediately and nope, 4/10? Ridiculous.

--------------

I couldn't say enough good things about this game, its characters, its design, the enemies, the soundtrack, etc. Everything just captivates me in all the right ways like the first Bioshock did. The two things like above that I mentioned this game does at 11/10 is atmosphere and world building. Other developers need to take note that you can have a large fleshed out world for a player to explore, brimming with quests and things to collect/find, and NOT have a shitty open world to do so.

I will most likely complete it today between the 25-30 hour mark, and hopefully all the side quests with it. As long as the ending is ace, then yeah this is my GOTY.

Playing on PS4 Pro if anyone cares, and I don't have any issues aiming and shooting. Just messed with the sensitivity and turned it up 1 notch and presto all was good.

Morts

I wish I knew how
cargo containers worked before I accidentally opened Dr. Igwe's.

I got as far as
the survivors in the cargo bay who want me to get turret plans.
How far into the main story am I?

malfcn

I just let the inventory sort itself..but you can't turn items right? Because I let it autosort one time and it kicked an item out saying it wouldn't fit anymore. Because the item was vertical and it sorted everything to have horizontal room.

So they fixed the sound from the demo only to fuck up the sound in the retail version only to fuck it up in a different way yet again in the subsequent patch.

I can't wrap my brain around this as someone who used to do album mixing and mastering haha...

Ooof. That's a harsh score, but damn if I wouldn't be equally as frustrated if that happened to me.

I wonder if the reviewer will update it post-patch.

malfcn

Haha after a dozen hours I finally went outside to get the key card for the lab. I get too distracted searching everything.

I also saw hitting some fire alarms have compartments? Whoa.

Jeez I think I'm a little lost right now.

I have the quests Detour and The Blackbox Project enabled and this should be on GUTS. Yet here I am right now in the Life support area. I'm completely going the wrong way aren't I? And there seen to be many more rooms here too.

Haha after a dozen hours I finally went outside to get the key card for the lab. I get too distracted searching everything.

I also saw hitting some fire alarms have compartments? Whoa.

Yeah, I think there is 2 in the lobby. Haven't found any others. Looks like the workers at Transtar didn't mind stealing from the company.

Jeez I think I'm a little lost right now.

I have the quests Detour and The Blackbox Project enabled and this should be on GUTS. Yet here I am right now in the Life support area. I'm completely going the wrong way aren't I? And there seen to be many more rooms here too.

The GUTS should be in
Psychotronics

Truant

Anyone tried the game with the Nightmare fix? That will hopefully add a cool new element to the game. He felt kinda lame in the Day 1 version.

XaosWolf

Dammit the beta patch fixed all the stupid sound issues but I still can't get back into the Neromod Division without it crashing. =/

I'm hoping it doesn't want me to go in there for any main quest stuff or this would have been a colossal waste of time.

psychotron

So I keep seeing terminals with crew members I need to find. I can only select one at a time and I can't seem to get to any of them due to lack of keycards or whatever. Is this something I can just come back later and chip away at, or will it basically solve itself through natural story progression for the most part?

The GUTS should be in
Psychotronics

Yeah I am in that GUTS area but it seems big. I went into the cargo bay area but that's clearly the wrong way.

But I feel like I'm going in circles now. I am trying to find Josh Dalton for the Blackbox Project quest. I see the waypoint but I can't seem to get there. Is he located via Arboretum?

mbpm1

Yeah I am in that GUTS area but it seems big. I went into the cargo bay area but that's clearly the wrong way.

But I feel like I'm going in circles now. I am trying to find Josh Dalton for the Blackbox Project quest. I see the waypoint but I can't seem to get there. Is he located via Arboretum?

Dalton is behind the big gray pipe you see. There's an area you can squeeze past it.

v0mitg0d

So I keep seeing terminals with crew members I need to find. I can only select one at a time and I can't seem to get to any of them due to lack of keycards or whatever. Is this something I can just come back later and chip away at, or will it basically solve itself through natural story progression for the most part?

Yes, there are several security stations sprinkled around the game where you can access these people/bodies. You can trigger some side objectives like The Love's Gift by finding some bodies:

https://youtu.be/7F7-y6d65e4

There's also some people/bodies that trigger rare objectives that you must do before entering an area like the one regarding the
wedding ring
. It's kinda trick, but here's a guide:

https://youtu.be/7vCOoVe8v4Q

I discovered that one basically by mistake. Wondering how many people will miss it.

Guessing a lot.

There's also some people/bodies that trigger rare objectives that you must do before entering an area like the one regarding the
wedding ring
. It's kinda trick, but here's a guide:

https://youtu.be/7vCOoVe8v4Q

I discovered that one basically by mistake. Wondering how many people will miss it.

Guessing a lot.

I like how there's two named phantoms that can spawn in that suite. One male. One Female. Oh gee, i wonder what happened.

Top Bottom