• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

For those who have beat it, how long did it take you?
I'm currently 5 hours in, and I feel like I'm halfway done. Mind you I'm just about to begin backtracking for side quests.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
IGN gives Prey a 4 for technical issues but gives Little Nightmares an 8.8 despite it being a trainwreck technically

hm

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm currently 5 hours in, and I feel like I'm halfway done. Mind you I'm just about to begin backtracking for side quests.

I'm at 22 hours and I probably have about 1 left, but I've explored almost every nook and/or cranny and probably done at least 90% of the sidequests.

IGN gives Prey a 4 for technical issues but gives Little Nightmares an 8.8 despite it being a trainwreck technically

hm
Different reviewers, IGN is not a hive mind.

That said, a 4 for this game is just...I don't see it. There is so much that is compelling and engaging about Prey. It sucks to have a save file corrupt, but even if that happened to me right now, halfway through the game, the experience thus far has been great.

I don't know about you guys but this
December bot
side quest that pops up in Psytronics sounds mighty iffy...

I'm not gonna do it just in case it has a major impact. I'm super intrigued but I'm trying to do the right thing for humankind.

GHG

Gold Member

When you begin backtracking with new abilities the game becomes a rabbit hole.

You find whole areas and quests you didn't know existed.

mbpm1

Did the GUTS

Definitely a hateful area. I hate
cystoids
and tying to maneuver and dodge in zero g.

Found Josh Dalton and will avoid again if possible.

On the other hand I decided fuck it and I'm just going to go ahead and get a bunch of
typhon
powers.
Turrets don't scare me! Especially since I think with maxed movement speed I can probably run up to them and hack them before taking too much damage. Got the ability that gives you Phantoms from corpses and it's pretty cool having a helper although human npcs will treat it as hostile of course.

OBias

I don't know about you guys but this
December bot
side quest that pops up in Psytronics sounds mighty iffy...

I'm not gonna do it just in case it has a major impact. I'm super intrigued but I'm trying to do the right thing for humankind.

If you complete this quest line, you will get
a strange game over screen
which spoils the main quest a little bit.

Did the GUTS

cystoids

On the other hand I decided fuck it and I'm just going to go ahead and get a bunch of
typhon
powers.
Turrets don't scare me! Especially since I think with maxed movement speed I can probably run up to them and hack them before taking too much damage. Got the ability that gives you Phantoms from corpses and it's pretty cool having a helper although human npcs will treat it as hostile of course.

Throw objects or use the foam crossbow. They're very useful against Cystoids

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Fuuu, didnt even think about either of those things.

Someone earlier in the thread said it, but we really are blessed we got this game. Judging by reviews and sales, we probably wont be getting another for a long long time. :( Just hope Arkane is gonna be alright.

Did the GUTS

cystoids

typhon
powers.

How do you even get to Dalton? Everytime it looks like I get close, there's another bend or just no noticeable avenue. Even detoured into Cargo to see if there was a route there.

ultrazilla

Bought a copy for my son and the back of the box says "PS4 Pro Enhancements". Does anyone know what they are? Resolution bump? Framerate bump?

Anung

Un Rama
Bought a copy for my son and the back of the box says "PS4 Pro Enhancements". Does anyone know what they are? Resolution bump? Framerate bump?

There aren't any. It's a false advertisement. Which sucks and hopefully something will come about because of it.

OBias

Interesting. The first time it happened to me, January told me it was because I had taken powers. I wonder if you got different dialogue then.

I'm doing a playthrough without
typhon powers
and when I met it the first time
(in the arboretum)
, January told me that
it's an unknown typhon type and that I should stay away from it.
Later it spawned three more times even though I still had no
typhon powers

shiba5

How do you even get to Dalton? Everytime it looks like I get close, there's another bend or just no noticeable avenue. Even detoured into Cargo to see if there was a route there.

He's behind the huge pipe where the tunnel bends. You can squeeze over the top of the pipe and he's back in the corner.

mbpm1

I can't seem to hit them though. So damn fast. I ran out of ammo trying.

He's actually behind the grey pipe thing, like, the area behind it. There's a point where if you follow it you'll see there's a space you can get through.

It's a pain in the ass though, I had to watch a video to find it.

He's actually behind the grey pipe thing, like, the area behind it. There's a point where if you follow it you'll see there's a space you can get through.

It's a pain in the ass though, I had to watch a video to find it.

Dalton is actually a mimic.

shiba5

Does anyone know how to find
Danielle outside Talos? I just saw that it's possible to save her. Can't use the tracking system since she took her bracelet off.

Granjinha

So i'm at Cargo Bay, where are the plans for the turrets? Can't find them :(

Does anyone know how to find
Danielle outside Talos? I just saw that it's possible to save her. Can't use the tracking system since she took her bracelet off.

wut.

WUT.

This game, man. This. Game.

aravuus

IGN reviewed it. 4/10 due to save corruption.

Okay, I rarely pay any attention to reviews, but I have to admit it's kind of frustrating to see Prey's score get practically halved because of a save corruption bug that, going by this thread, isn't very common at all, yet many popular games (BOTW and BethSoft games recently, for example) seem to never get their scores docked for technical problems.

I really want reviewers to be much harsher on technical problems, but this just comes across as a massive kneejerk reaction to me.

Wanderer5

hm

Little Nightmares is a trainwreck technically, what? What am I missing?

Also:

You're talking about
Dahl's tech bot
? Apparently it might be bugged, but man did it feel frustrating of given
the task to find it somewhere out in the exterior of the station lol
. I ended up just using a guide and go to spots where it might possibly be.

Looking at the steam beta patch, good, there is a fix for this.

Animator

Is there no recycler/builder machines in the Arbotreum area or is it me? Also fucking christ game is throwing enemies at me left right and center here. I should have bought the wrench damage perk ;_;

mbpm1

Is there no recycler/builder machines in the Arbotreum area or is it me? Also fucking christ game is throwing enemies at me left right and center here. I should have bought the wrench damage perk ;_;

What? The Recycler/Fabricator is right next to the entrance from the GUTS

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

There were certainly times I had to resource hunt, broken down turrets in a pile + recycle grenade is a good way to get mineral material for bullets. Most of the other things Ive experimented putting into piles and recycling havent been quite worth it.

Animator

What? The Recycler/Fabricator is right next to the entrance from the GUTS

I am pretty far into the level and going back there to the beginning is a big issue with literally dozens and dozens of enemies in every corner and that fucking
nightmare
hunting you. I literally have no ammo for anything :(

Guerrilla

Been playing for an hour now and I like what I'm seeing, but what the hell is up with the audio? The mix is all over the place, audio logs are barely audible and character voices seem to come from inside the player characters head. The directional audio also seems to be off. This is kinda killing the immersion for me. Anyone else having these issues?

aravuus

Been playing for an hour now and I like what I'm seeing, but what the hell is up with the audio? The mix is all over the place, audio logs are barely audible and character voices seem to come from inside the player characters head. The directional audio also seems to be off. This is kinda killing the immersion for me. Anyone else having these issues?

It's not very good, yeah. Music is also way too loud, dropping it to 30-40 is what I'd recommend. Maybe drop effects to 70-80 and keep voices at 100, too.

You don't need to hit them, they swarm after anything that moves and will explode when they knock into it. I never got close to any cystoids or nests in the GUTS, I just hurled debris at them from afar and waited for them to take themselves out. Didn't think to use the crossbow though.

munroe

Just to check something, quickly read through that ign review and he calls the item inventory stacking bug a needless hassle because they find their inventory being filled up prematurely; people do know that a click of the sort button fixes it right? Takes like a second.... And wouldn't call it a hassle

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just started the game and oh man, this game is giving me some motion sickness. The camera moves really choppy and these mimic guys being so low to the ground and moving all over the place is not helping matters.

[edit]

Gonna turn off camera bob, maybe that will help things.

DeaDPo0L84

Just to check something, quickly read through that ign review and he calls the item inventory stacking bug a needless hassle because they find their inventory being filled up prematurely; people do know that a click of the sort button fixes it right? Takes like a second.... And wouldn't call it a hassle

Whats funny is it took me 15 hours into the game to realize this and still never found it to be a hassle.

Top Bottom