• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

DeaDPo0L84

Just finished the game, clocked in around 16 hours, though I only did around 2/3 of the sidequests, the ending is quite interesting, and I can't wait for more people to finish the game so everyone can talk more about the ending.

I'll be doing a second playthrough in the future for sure, there's some stuff I've missed.

I'm at 24 hours and just got the prompt to go to
deep storage
, any idea how far I am into the story? I'm not in a rush but wanna make sure I'm prepared.

M.W.

Increased my movement/jump skill to max last night. Holy hell what a difference. Glad I went that route.

DeaDPo0L84

You're still quite far, there's a lot to do still.

Awesome thanks. I accidentally while just wondering came across the power plant and said "nope not yet". I also had a quest from January update with
"escape Talos 1"
which had me concerned that I might be close. But I assume now that's a false flag.

Danim

Neo Member
Recycle them.

Just a heads up for anyone else using the steam controller / DS4 config for the game on PC, the update pushed out today looks like its broken something. Right analog stick isn't registering in game at all for me on my DS4 now and there are a few others on the discussion page on steam with the same issue.

Is the
Mikhaela's father
quest glitched? I
send the log to Morgan's terminal, but when I get back there, there's still only one video on her terminal and not the one I need.

Edit: nevermind. Had to talk to the NPC first.

XaosWolf

Forced to give up til a proper patch shows up now.

Completed the game by ENDING SPOILERS
blowing everything up after shooting Alex and January
but now when I reload to
Null wave everything instead
it somehow loads the state of the Bridge from the first time I finished it.
Alex and January dead and the countdown activated but not actually running. Even the Advent was already detonated.

And so I can't finish it again as I can't even interact with the right screen. =(

So, (spoilers near when you get the psychoscope) the
touch screen calibration
part scared the shit out of me and legitimately hurt my feelings.

Anung

Un Rama
Kill everyone run with no powers complete. Was fun just causing havoc and no powers forced me to get creative with the tools I do have.

my gpu updated its driver and the game runs much worse now compared to yesterday. 1070. anyone else simililar?
note, i'm playing at 4k resolution but when I try to lower it the game doesnt fill in the screen unless at 4k.

bsp

I haven't had this much fun in a single-player game since Dishonored 1. This is how you make a spiritual successor to SS2. The story has been more interesting than I expected.. lots of excellent worldbuilding.

Finished, 32 hours and I felt like I rushed a bit in the beginning. Need a break but I can see myself playing again and trying different abilities that I never unlocked such as Machine Mind and Remote Manipulation.

Some of the side quests were a bit of a pain and lots of running around but overall this game was excellent, loved all the searching for items.

Neverfade

I found a note in the b
allistics
l
ab
from T
horstein
that said he had a plan for r
ecycler
c
harges
in his office. I'm turning his office upside down and don't see it. Any tips?

Eusis

Push the fat guy.
There was no option to crawl around under the loading platform or in the ventilation ducts around the train station and fail to see the incoming accident at all. Those are the true correct options in an immersive sim going by how I missed that quest.

And I guess that solves the moral dilemma on my end; if things are doomed they're doomed no matter what I do, I did the best I could (without going way back in saves to possibly make the same choice ANYWAY.)

It seems that one ending is missing.

Namely, if you allow Igwe to lobotomize D
ahl
, you'll get messages that they're in the shuttle, and then, if you fuck around a bit, mikhaila will contact you telling you to yknow, hurry the fuck up since theres a g
iant black spacedragon eating the station
. Check your objectives log and you'll see that D
ahl
will contact you when the shuttle is ready for departure.

So it dawned on me that that might be a fourth possible ending, and thus i started to fuck around a bit, forcing level transitions and the like. Even installed both the
nurowave and the xplodokeys

Alas, no dice. The npcs simply don't appear to contact you again, and the sense of urgency is a red herring. Went to shuttlebay. Absolutely no one there. Went to Morgan's office. No one there either.

Kinda weird that they'd commit this misstep. Would be nice if the game accounted for it and, since we know how the showdown between
Alex and January goes if we don't interfere, Jan would trigger the explosion if you've primed the keys. Or alex would get the upper hand if you've only installed the nurowave.

heringer

Played a couple of hours and enjoying it so far. Game is hard though, any tips? Like what weapon to upgrade first, neuromods, etc.

Also, I don't the get missing crew members aspect. What's the point in doing it? Do I have to select one by one in the terminals? It will take forever since there are dozens and dozens.

Played a couple of hours and enjoying it so far. Game is hard though, any tips? Like what weapon to upgrade first, neuromods, etc.

Also, I don't the get missing crew members aspect. What's the point in doing it? Do I have to select one by one in the terminals? It will take forever since there are dozens and dozens.

As you find crew members​ it will automatically check them off in the computer. For some of the side quests you need to find a terminal and click on a specific person's name and it will search for their bracelet.

Granjinha

So, spoiler from the power plant part:

How do i save mikhaila? I'm out in space on Talos 1 but can't find her office.

Nah, most of the crew members are dead. You can use that when you need to find someone since most of them have a bracelet that tags them.

I just started the game, and I'm in love. I knew going in that I would like it, I'm a fan of System Shock and Dishonored, but it goes beyond my expectations.

Stoze

It seems that one ending is missing.
It's there. Ending spoilers:
If you choose to blow up the station, a countdown timer should start and you'll have that much time to get to the shuttle bay. I'm not exactly sure why you don't get the opportunity to escape after doing the nullwave, but presumably it's because the station is safe at that point so there's no need for it.

Perineum

I just completed it. WOW! This is easily just hit my top 10 games I ever played. INFUCKINGCREDIBLE!!!!

The endings, the decisions, the mind fucks, WOW! So well done. I didn't see that twist coming and I was really thinking of a lot of things on what the twist would be if any.

Questions though:

Ok, so we are a Typhon living out those final moments aboard the Talos to see what we would've done in Morgans place, correct? This is of course to build a bridge between the two species because somehow they make it to Earth. My questions are how did they make it, and what happened to the real Morgan Yu?

Mifec

So, spoiler from the power plant part:

How do i save mikhaila? I'm out in space on Talos 1 but can't find her office.

Nah, most of the crew members are dead. You can use that when you need to find someone since most of them have a bracelet that tags them.

Her office is in the dark hallway you repair so try to orient yourself to that when your outside somehow.

steven28

Finished it yesterday.Excellent game that feels kinda like a bioshock game but with more depth and freedom to it.At first i wasn't really sure about it until i started to unlock some powers,then the game became a whole lot better.Really liked all the optional choices and side missions,felt like dishonoured's choices but taken to another level.The space station was brilliantly put together and felt like a real place.I think arkane are one of my favourite developers,with dishonoured 2 being my goty for 2016 and now this fantastic game,they are really impressing me.

Lijik

It's there. Ending spoilers:
If you choose to blow up the station, a countdown timer should start and you'll have that much time to get to the shuttle bay. I'm not exactly sure why you don't get the opportunity to escape after doing the nullwave, but presumably it's because the station is safe at that point so there's no need for it.

Something that wound up making my ending more thrilling
If January is there she will impersonate you and tell the others you wont make it. Cuts down your time from like seven minutes to two and half which is just barely enough to make it to the shuttle.

I didnt realize that was even an option and resigned myself to the fate of selfdestructing with the ship since I committed to not harming anyone but the typhon (i even went out of my way to always hack corrupted operators when i got the ability to) and January was blocking the nullwave ending. The second the third option popped up I instinctively whacked her to death with my wrench in case she pulled any more shit and made a mad dash with ten seconds to spare to the shuttle.

Theres a few you'll need to for side quests and what not. You'll probably find most on your own, but I wound up always looking for the ones I missed partially for the achievement and partially because more often than not crew members had decent loot like spare neuromods or spareparts

Animator

I was having trouble with combat in this game until I discovered the joys of throwing a HUGE ASS CONTAINER to the typhon motherfuckers. One shots phantoms.

Djostikk

Are there any missable locations? I went through G.U.T.S. to opposite location (shuttle, I believe) from where I need to go by story mission. Just wanna make sure I don't skip anything accidentally.

Just beat it. 22 hours of joy. I'm seriously blown away by the game. The freedom of choice in the gameplay systems, exploration, level design, quest design, and the extent to which the game is tracking your actions are genuinely incredible. I'm super excited to play it through at least once more.

If we never get a sequel (which would be a shame), then so be it. I'm so, so happy and grateful this game exists. It seems a risky/dying genre and to have such a good Shock/immersive sim style game in 2017 is a blessing. Please keep making these types of games Arkane. You can adapt and change however you need to in order to survive but please don't lose the core brilliance of your game design. We need more games like this (and Dishonored).

I once found a room with four turrets in storage. Expecting something big to pop up later, I set them all up.

Something popped up.

It was a Technopath.

Roussow

I once found a room with four turrets in storage. Expecting something big to pop up later, I set them all up.

Something popped up.

It was a Technopath.

I know exactly what you're talking about and I did the same thing, I set up 4 turrets back-to-back in a diamond configuration looking outwards upon the large room.
Didn't do a fucking thing, it was an active hindrance.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Eh, about 2 hours into the game and so far I'm not really enjoying it. Maybe the combat gets better when I unlock a bunch of mods and whatnot but right now it's pretty awful.
[edit]

Like, little enemies who move around fast are maybe the worst enemy type in FPS games and that's most of what you fight early on.

And these big guys aren't any better.

xVodevil

Got the game yesterday, jumped in blind and played like 2 hours. I didn't follow it, ever since devs mentioned SS2 as inspiration I was like, hell yeah, no further questions here.
And damn this opening was surprisingly amazing! I bet this game will only get better, so I'm really looking forward this weekend to play it as much as I can.

This is a hard game (but a good one!) I'm running into the purple versions of enemies quite early on (I don't even have any psi-powers yet) and they are brutal if disturbed. Finding the med-bots and eng-bots and making sure you have a clear path to them is very important or you'll spend a lot of time one-hit-from-death.

I'm assuming the game is trying to teach me that running away is the correct course of action.

This is very much System Shock 2 (fights are tough, short, deadly but often avoidable) and not Bioshock (just kill all the enemies before moving on).
I think the combat/movement upgrades are going to be needed. Being wimpy-hacker/engineer-Morgan is not a good idea!

Bad news: one of my controllers has constant "skating" since the patch basically removed the dead zone and one controller has a slight leftward neutral position (not noticeable in any other game though!)

I'd recommend the PC version rather than console (I'm on PS4), simply because the combat is a bit awkward with controllers. All the sudden enemy movements favour mouse-targeting. Turning up the sensitivity is almost a necessity on a controller.
Also, regular death and load times will make an SSD worthwhile.

Xenoboy

I had a fun moment yesterday where a mimic was resting on a toilet, I shot it and the whole toilet got overflown with black goo.

Truant

I just completed it. WOW! This is easily just hit my top 10 games I ever played. INFUCKINGCREDIBLE!!!!

The endings, the decisions, the mind fucks, WOW! So well done. I didn't see that twist coming and I was really thinking of a lot of things on what the twist would be if any.

Questions though:

Ok, so we are a Typhon living out those final moments aboard the Talos to see what we would've done in Morgans place, correct? This is of course to build a bridge between the two species because somehow they make it to Earth. My questions are how did they make it, and what happened to the real Morgan Yu?

Everything actually happened to Morgan years earlier, but what we experienced was through the Typhon.

Top Bottom