• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

pa22word

I don't feel I had to specialize at all, quite the contrary, midway through the game I was an unstoppable killer and could manipulate the environment completely and reach all areas. it's true that you won't unlock every skill, but that's mostly because most skills are useless/boring, and that doesn't stop you from being a jack of all trades midway through the game. of course unless you deliberately limit yourself and makes human only and a typhon only run.

I dunno about other difficulties, I've just been playing on nightmare. I still don't think nightmare went far enough, either. Going back down to separate screen hacking after bioshock 2 is going to always be a big bummer to me, honestly. I can understand why they ditched real time inventory, even though dark souls has clearly shown it can work with a gamepad.

I also think the leveling system, as you pointed out, totally falls apart after a certain point in the game because you can just power level through everything. I think the hardcore mode they plan to do needs a hard level cap of probably 50 neuromods or so to really do the game justice. Once you can replicate neuromods the game essentially falls apart mechanically. This is a trend in basically every rpg these days (hilariously inverse difficulty curve, that is) though, so I can't be too hard on it.

Is hardcore gonna be perma death?
I've only just met Jan (I assume this is super early game) but havent been forced into a situation where i needed to use a single health potion.

I've only just met Jan (I assume this is super early game) but havent been forced into a situation where i needed to use a single health potion.

No, the hardcore mode they plan to implement as post-release update adds weapon degradation and trauma system (Broken limbs, burns, etc..)

Maybe there'll be a hard cap for how much Neuromods you can spend like pa22word suggested, but who knows.

pa22word

I really hope they aren't wasting our time with that. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Ironman type modes, to each his own! But don't go hyping up a hardcore mode patch and just have it be a dumb if die=send to main menu thing they threw together in 5 mins.

/now that said/ I wouldn't mind them doing that if they also brought back the resurection chambers from SS and tied total game over to resources (run out of organic material to resurrect you = go). That would be pretty interesting.

Drewfonse

Ok, I'm stuck.

I am at the end of Reboot. I was just contacted by Alex, and also told that the grav lifts are back online. But when I run over to them, they are broken, and I don't have spare parts to fix them. I looked at a video walkthrough, and everyone just runs over to the lifts and escapes. Is this a glitch or something?

Stoze

No, the hardcore mode they plan to implement as post-release update adds weapon degradation and trauma system (Broken limbs, burns, etc..)

Maybe there'll be a hard cap for how much Neuromods you can spend like pa22word suggested, but who knows.
I'm going to guess they'll add O2 management back in as well. Neuromod cap would be neat, or removing the fabrication.

Lmao, incredible.

Is it the technopath that is killing you? Those are pretty much boss encounters. What weapons, skills and equipment do you have available?
They are weak to the Nullwave grenades. IIRC the room has a lot of explosive canisters in it, too. Put some of them in his path and blow him up, then throw the Nullwave grenade when he engages you.

Thanks. Will try it. I was mainly just ticked. I'm playing on Easy because I think the game is better with less combat (also I'm 40 and that stuff doesn't matter to me like it used to) and it really felt like the game did this hard swerve on me in about 5 minutes.

pa22word

I'm going to guess they'll add O2 management back in as well. Neuromod cap would be neat, or removing the fabrication.

I mean they don't even have to remove it, as much as fully realize it.

That "unlimited licenses" tab on every item had me itching with potential hardcore mode usage every time I was at the fabricator.

Make uses a resource to be found, better yet, make them tied to individuals! You find someone's wallet on their body or in their room or whatever and you can hack out their fab licenses for items. Would add an interesting dimension to the quests other than just doing them for the narrative kick and some loot you probably don't need or will only end in net null gain after expending the resources needed to get the quest completed as it is.

If they do update hardcore mode, I hope it works as a separate setting from the general difficulty. I would play the game again to see the new mechanics, but not if the enemies are going to be horrible bullet sponges.

peakish

Thanks. Will try it. I was mainly just ticked. I'm playing on Easy because I think the game is better with less combat (also I'm 40 and that stuff doesn't matter to me like it used to) and it really felt like the game did this hard swerve on me in about 5 minutes.
Did you get the Q-Beam?
It's really good against many enemies, especially robots who take almost no damage from projectiles. There's one in the Crew Quarters kitchen.

Upgrade. You aren't anywhere near as powerful as you could be. ;)

Heh, really? Does that require Typhon powers? I'm staying 100% human. I don't see what else I could do to improve shotgun damage beyond getting the last sneak attack skill, I've already maxed out the weapon and gunsmith skills and the Margrave's already at max damage.

Oh, I guess there's Combat Focus. I only just started putting points into that. It's funny, I'm almost 20 hours in and I think this is the first thing that's used psy points. I have half a mind to recycle the 47 psi hypos I have in my inventory.

Moff

Ok, I'm stuck.

I am at the end of Reboot. I was just contacted by Alex, and also told that the grav lifts are back online. But when I run over to them, they are broken, and I don't have spare parts to fix them. I looked at a video walkthrough, and everyone just runs over to the lifts and escapes. Is this a glitch or something?

try reloading and doing it again, might really be a bug as there are many in the endgame.

if it doesn't work, just gloo your way up and hope the door up there is unlocked

Drewfonse

try reloading and doing it again, might really be a bug as there are many in the endgame.

if it doesn't work, just gloo your way up and hope the door up there is unlocked

Ugh ok thanks.

I hate to ask this, but how far from the end am I, in hours? This is starting to feel like work.

OK what to so.

I have 8 Neuromods.

Either spend it on repair 3 so I can repair the machine in Hardware Labs
so I can grab that item that I have the place on a satellite and which lets me repel the Nightmare Typhon or attract it. Only 4 uses it says though. Or does "4 remaining" mean he won't ever hint me again after using it 4 times?

Or use it on Psychoshock 3 because where I am at now the Typhon clearly are becoming stronger and more annoying. I think the latter is most worth it?

Drewfonse

Well, I've replayed the ending 10 mins of the Reboot mission 5 times now in hopes of having the grav lifts unlock, but they are not unlocking for me. I don't have much Gloo ammo, and I'm getting swarmed by enemies.

Is this a game ending bug for me?

Stoze

OK what to so.

I have 8 Neuromods.

Either spend it on repair 3 so I can repair the machine in Hardware Labs
so I can grab that item that I have the place on a satellite and which lets me repel the Nightmare Typhon or attract it. Only 4 uses it says though. Or does "4 remaining" mean he won't ever hint me again after using it 4 times?

Or use it on Psychoshock 3 because where I am at now the Typhon clearly are becoming stronger and more annoying. I think the latter is most worth it?
You could get repair 3...
or you could use your nerf gun.

You could get repair 3...
or you could use your nerf gun.

Ok now you lost me :)

Nerf gun? I assumed you meant the disruptor gun but that doesn't make it work. Not sure what you meant.

Oh snap.....

I just noticed an opening. So that should mean I can Mimic myself into a small object and let it drop down that opening and get the communication device.

OBias

Well, I've replayed the ending 10 mins of the Reboot mission 5 times now in hopes of having the grav lifts unlock, but they are not unlocking for me. I don't have much Gloo ammo, and I'm getting swarmed by enemies.

Did you repair the grav lifts?

munroe

Ok now you lost me :)

Nerf gun? I assumed you meant the disruptor gun but that doesn't make it work. Not sure what you meant.

Oh snap.....

I just noticed an opening. So that should mean I can Mimic myself into a small object and let it drop down that opening and get the communication device.

When people say nerf gun they mean the Huntress Boltcaster

Which grav lift is this? The one at the base of the power plant or is there one further in? There's a fabricator next to where you reset the power can't you make more Gloo ammo?

You get shotgun ammo fabrication plan at any point?

Right near the start of the game
security office safe in the lobby

Drewfonse

Did you repair the grav lifts?

I don't have enough spare parts.

I've tried everything. Aren't the grav lifts supposed to come back on after you reboot the reactor?

And the fabricator? It needs to be repaired...with spare parts. I Glooed myself about half way up, but I can't get past this sequence.

Are the grav lifts automatically supposed to come back on after Alex contacts you about meeting?

When people say nerf gun they mean the Huntress Boltcaster

Ok thanks. That's good to know. But I still wonder what I should do with it in this instance. It doesn't matter anymore now because it worked with Mimic Matter. I love the different ways you can get shit done in this game.

munroe

I don't have enough spare parts.

I've tried everything. Aren't the grav lifts supposed to come back on after you reboot the reactor?

And the fabricator? It needs to be repaired...with spare parts. I Glooed myself about half way up, but I can't get past this sequence.

Are the grav lifts automatically supposed to come back on after Alex contacts you about meeting?

Can't you just take the stairs?

Stoze

Ok thanks. That's good to know. But I still wonder what I should do with it in this instance. It doesn't matter anymore now because it worked with Mimic Matter. I love the different ways you can get shit done in this game.
That little opening you went thorough as a Mimic'd object?
You can use that to shoot a boltcaster dart at the button in there to open up the grate.
That's what I did since I didn't have alien powers.

munroe

So if I don't have enough spare parts, is there another way to exit the area? All of the catwalks and stairs are broken now.

Went back to the power plant and you can quite easily escape when not using the grav lift just by taking the central stairs as high as possible clamber onto pipes and stuff and you can get out

That little opening you went thorough as a Mimic'd object?
You can use that to shoot a boltcaster dart at the button in there to open up the grate.
That's what I did since I didn't have alien powers.

That's awesome. I hadn't seen that button at all, haha. But man, isn't it great how you can basically do this part in three different ways? It's things like these and all the other stuff that easily make it my favorite Arkane game.

Stoze

That's awesome. I hadn't seen that button at all, haha. But man, isn't it great how you can basically do this part in three different ways? It's things like these and all the other stuff that easily make it my favorite Arkane game.
Yep. It's not obvious, I didn't see it until I was examining it a second time before leaving the Hardware Labs for good.

The Dude

I just have to say it's a fucking crime what has happened to this game review wise, advertisment, just I'm so mad also for how Arkane didn't put out a messed up ps4 demo.

I'm playing on Pc and this game is so damn good... It makes me sick that it's not getting the recognition elsewhere

Stoze

I just have to say it's a fucking crime what has happened to this game review wise, advertisment, just I'm so mad also for how Arkane didn't put out a messed up ps4 demo.

I'm playing on Pc and this game is so damn good... It makes me sick that it's not getting the recognition elsewhere
The game did/is doing fine reception wise - 80 on PC and PS4, 86 on Xbox (Metacritic), 81 on OpenCritic. Maybe not quite as good as Bethesda or the team wanted, but I wouldn't call that a "fucking crime" or even polarizing.

I think it's excellent though and feels right at home on PC.

The game did/is doing fine reception wise - 80 on PC and PS4, 86 on Xbox (Metacritic), 81 on OpenCritic. Maybe not quite as good as Bethesda or the team wanted, but I wouldn't call that a "fucking crime" or even polarizing.

That's not bad, but i wonder how the sales for it are right now. The early sales weren't too hot sadly. Very very sadly. Hope it picks up. I really really want Arkane to make another game. They are very good at making a game world that feels believable and lived in. It all makes sense when you explore around and see all these areas. I'd love another game from them with this setting.

I'm trying to find the Talos Bridge area now but I'm a little lost. This is found via Arboretum after all, right? Been looking at the shuttle bay because that's were those escape pods are as well.

OBias

That's not bad, but i wonder how the sales for it are right now. The early sales weren't too hot sadly. Very very sadly. Hope it picks up. I really really want Arkane to make another game. They are very good at making a game world that feels believable and lived in. It all makes sense when you explore around and see all these areas. I'd love another game from them with this setting.

I'm trying to find the Talos Bridge area now but I'm a little lost. This is found via Arboretum after all, right? Been looking at the shuttle bay because that's were those escape pods are as well.

Yes, the Bridge is accessed through the Arboretum. Don't forget about the station map in the menu.

Bulletzen72

Ran into a bug that's preventing any progress for me.
I have to eliminate Kaspar the Tech droid, but he's pissed off somewhere and I can't find where.
Apparently it's a known issue. Others have found him in 1 of 4 spots, but for me it's still not in any of them. Arcane have said that it's a bug and he'll be outside the Arboretum air hatch area when it happens. 3 hours later and still no luck.

Ah well. Teaches me not to save often. My other save file is 7 hours earlier! Shame! I was enjoying the game up until then. Bit pissed off tbh.

Xenoboy

Can you save that first prisoner you meet
in psychotronics? I saved him, came back a bit later and saw his body dead on a corridor :/

Jb

That ending was a little... rushed. Like something that was added at the last minute.
Great game overall, I haven't had this much fun exploring an environment like this one in a long long time. For their first project Arkane Austin did a damn good job, let's hope word of mouth makes it a long seller.

jrcbandit

So does metacritic get updated, the ridiculous IGN review dropped it quite a bit and now has been updated to 80. I'm sure it also hurt sales some since allot of casuals depend on IGN for reviews.

Also, are you supposed to fight the Nightmare or just hide for 2 minutes? He showed up even though I only have 2 Typhon powers.

Yes, the Bridge is accessed through the Arboretum. Don't forget about the station map in the menu.

I feel like an idiot but where is it located in the Arboretum? I can find the crew quarters, deep storage but not the bridge.

I have to eliminate Kaspar the Tech droid, but he's pissed off somewhere and I can't find where.
Apparently it's a known issue. Others have found him in 1 of 4 spots, but for me it's still not in any of them. Arcane have said that it's a bug and he'll be outside the Arboretum air hatch area when it happens. 3 hours later and still no luck.

Ah well. Teaches me not to save often. My other save file is 7 hours earlier! Shame! I was enjoying the game up until then. Bit pissed off tbh.

Ah that's a shame man. I save constantly because that quicksave option is just so damn good and fast. I'm not used to console games having such a handy quicksave option.

One more thing, I'm now in deep storage and for the moment can't go back but my inventory is full as hell. Will I find a recycler and/or fabricator soon in this area? Otherwise I'll load up a save from right before this.

The Dude

I meant the lack of advertising for this game, it's just a crime that they didn't push it even more because it deserves to be front and center right now. And IGN I thought was still at a 4 out of 10.

Do you think it can pull a sequel?

Ruff

Seems like Denuvo on the PC version of Prey is cracked now. Lasted what, 9 days? I wonder what the cut off point will be for developers to not bother forking out the money for this protection. Especially now pirates can take a fair assumption that the game will be cracked shortly in most big releases which wasn't the case for most of last year.

What did the audio log say about the location. I got something about the power plant exterior and Kasper ended up near the bridge exterior, which was about 600m away from the power plant airlock.

Here I think.

Top Bottom