• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Started the game yesterday night on ps4 and... wasn't the input lag supposed to be corrected between the demo and the release ?

What a disappointment, it's still here and terribly annoying.

I'm trying not to kill any humans this playthrough but damn the game is asking me some difficult questions. And all these exotic materials are very tempting.

Moff

I'm trying not to kill any humans this playthrough but damn the game is asking me some difficult questions. And all these exotic materials are very tempting.

I thought it was rally easy to do, this is is not like dishonored/deus ex where the levels are full of human enemies including human bosses/targets.

Oh damn, I thought I could unlock Psychoshock but turns out I need more research data. But I'm way into Crew Quarters, shouldn't I already have it by now?

I have 8 Neuromods now and it's tempting to use it on Leverage 3,Repair 3 or Lab Tech 1. Lab tech is for the Disruptor gun right?

I am now in this room in crew quarters and several of these people are mind controlled. Where is the source though? I have been looking in this room everywhere and I can't see the entity that does this to them.

All right, so after Googling I found out that the item removed is the oldest one to have been moved, so it can be worked around by moving everything in the inventory except for the one trash item you want to use as bug bait (I used a single unit of mineral material). Just, save everytime you zone in/out of the arboretum and then check your inventory. If you lost something, reload and do the inventory shuffle to bait the bug into eating something you don't care about.

This wasn't true for me. Once the bug hit me I reloaded an old save to reclaim lost items, then when I started re-arranging items, it just took random things from me, definitely not the oldest thing I'd moved. I'd also heard players say it only took items if you had put neuromods into a certain skill, or that it only took from the 1st row, or that it only happened around the arboretum or the elevator - none of those were true for me (it's happening to me when trying to exit the station from Hardware labs now). It seems to be an extremely random but fairly pervasive bug once you get it.

Apparently they're aware of the bug and are looking into it. I've stopped playing for now until it's patched.

Jb

I am now in this room in crew quarters and several of these people are mind controlled. Where is the source though? I have been looking in this room everywhere and I can't see the entity that does this to them.

There's one
telepather
in the cafeteria and another in the gym.

There's one
telepather
in the cafeteria and another in the gym.

Yes, found it. He was in the pool. Is there a good way to destroy it fast? Because no matter what I try, nullwave transmitter, Combat Focus and then blasting the crap away with the shotgun he immediately kills all the people he controls and I want to save them. :(

Nevermind I spoke too soon. Turns out the people are unconscious. So that nullwave DID do its job.

Yes, found it. He was in the pool. Is there a good way to destroy it fast? Because no matter what I try, nullwave transmitter, Combat Focus and then blasting the crap away with the shotgun he immediately kills all the people he controls and I want to save them. :(

I waited in the outer corridor back by the locker room - almost all of the people eventually came to me and I was able to hit them with the disruptor. I only had one left wandering in the pool area and was able to run up behind both of them, stun the human and then take it out without having to worry.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Lure the ppl out of the pool room and into the end of the hallway and zap em with the disruptor. As long as their alert meter fills they'll sgamble after you. Then charge in and deal with the telepath.

Moff

Oh damn, I thought I could unlock Psychoshock but turns out I need more research data. But I'm way into Crew Quarters, shouldn't I already have it by now?

I have 8 Neuromods now and it's tempting to use it on Leverage 3,Repair 3 or Lab Tech 1. Lab tech is for the Disruptor gun right?

it really depends on how much of the station you have explored and if you scanned every tyophon you found.
after 1/3 of the story pretty much the whole station opens up for exploration and it's up to you what you do before the main story takes you there later on. so that's why I got psychoshock and mind jack way before the main story sent me to crew quarters, both skills make that area a lot easier.

lab tech is for the experimental weapons, yes, and I think leverage, repair and hacking should all be maxed if you want to fully explore the station, which is what you should do if you want to enjoy everything this game has to offer, because there are some rooms and even quests that can only be accessed if you have a spezific skill.

Thanks for the tips people. I totally had no idea about the disruptor gun for the mind controlled humans. Very very helpful. They are all unconscious now and is there a way to wake them up? Because it keeps showing white arrows all the time in the crew quarters because they are still stunned.

Oh and I most definitely want to see everything in this game. Been exploring every nook and cranny so far and I'm loving it. This game needs to be fully explored. The developers really made it worthwhile to go explore.

A fully upgraded Margrave now. Awwwwwyeaaahhhh! This thing slays these bastards.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I very rarely buy games anywhere near launch due to ££££ but I just caved and bought Prey, it's downloading now! Time to stock up on Ramen for the foreseeable future lol. I really hope it's good, the demo gave me a taste and I wanted more (PS4 demo but bought it on PC), so the devs did a good job with it IMO.

garath

I'm torn on skills. I'm pretty early into the game but struggling on the high value skills to invest in. So far I have repair I, the first med kit upgrade and the harvest Typhon parts one. I figured getting the materials for more neuromods is a good investment.

I'm not going to play stealthy and I'm enjoying exploring so maybe get some hacking and leverage?

haikira

[LATE GAME SPOILERS - PLAYTIME 17H]

Trying to
save Luther Glass from the military bots. Must have tried about six times already. Been trying to use EMP grenades to start the encounter, but I haven't been able to stop him from being killed in the trap.

Any tips?

I very rarely buy games anywhere near launch due to ££££ but I just caved and bought Prey, it's downloading now! Time to stock up on Ramen for the foreseeable future lol. I really hope it's good, the demo gave me a taste and I wanted more (PS4 demo but bought it on PC), so the devs did a good job with it IMO.

If the demo did that for you I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it. Make sure to explore anywhere you can. Thanks to the Gloo Cannon you can get to places where you'll find awesome stuff that will help you out greatly early on.

Something interesting that January said just now :

He started talking me again after I found enough voice samples and he said his readings or whatever said they say me as a full Typhon. I guess thanks to several of these new powers I've acquired.

No way am i going to ignore those powers and not use my Neuromods for them. But of course at the same time it's not a good thing I'm turning into one of them.

Anung

Un Rama
[LATE GAME SPOILERS - PLAYTIME 17H]

Trying to
save Luther Glass from the military bots. Must have tried about six times already. Been trying to use EMP grenades to start the encounter, but I haven't been able to stop him from being killed in the trap.

Any tips?

He's already dead/has been dead the whole time. It's just a trap set up by Dahl. His body is there since the start of the game.

I saw some complaints in some reviews about the lack of enemy variety.....

But we have Mimics that give you the jump scares early on, later on a bit less and that's fine. Then there are those that mind control people, you got Phantoms that have electricity around them or who use those dash powers to move around the room.

You got the big nightmare things, the nests that poison you with radiation, the Poltergeists that really bring some cool tense moments and so on. If they mean that in terms of looks there could be more variety I guess I can agree, but it doesn't bother me. But they provide plenty variety when it comes to their abilities. I was exploring some room in crew quarters and out of the blue this big screen turns on and fuck.... huge jump scare. Thank you Poltergeist, haha.

JonnyKong

My friend has asked me to ask you guys (as he doesn't have a Gaf account) how close he is to the end.

He says he's
just about to board a shuttle to help track somebody down

I was really enjoying it (excellent atmosphere, combat's a little janky) until I just hit Deep Storage. Game play just turned to shit. I'm playing on easy and I'm still dying in a few hits from enemies who take very little damage. And it's either fight a boss type enemy in a tiny room or a larger radioactive room.

Bleagh. Really really regret buying it right now.

Morts

Beat the game last night. The last hour or two was... not great. Primarily because the last few objectives all involved crossing several areas of the station without really doing anything in any of them, which really made you notice how bad the load times are on PS4. Despite enjoying 90% of the game a lot once that starting happening I was ready for it to be over.

So that escape pod key.....

Turned
Alex's room upside down. Checked pretty much everywhere and I can't find it. I wish I did. Because I'd love to find it myself without help.

Am I missing something?

Nevermind. I clearly didn't turn his room completely around haha.

RuhRo

Any word on whether a PS4 Pro patch is coming? I'm a huge fan of immersive sims and was about to buy this - until I heard about the lack Pro support.

munroe

Has anyone done a Typhon only playthrough? Is it possible to save everyone and do all the good side quests?

My friend has asked me to ask you guys (as he doesn't have a Gaf account) how close he is to the end.

He says he's
just about to board a shuttle to help track somebody down

Near the end

Anung

Un Rama
So that escape pod key.....

Turned
Alex's room upside down. Checked pretty much everywhere and I can't find it. I wish I did. Because I'd love to find it myself without help.

Am I missing something?

Nevermind. I clearly didn't turn his room completely around haha.

It also took me longer that I'd like to admit to find that key haha.

It also took me longer that I'd like to admit to find that key haha.

When you can't find stuff, just smash the whole place and it should be all fine. I've learned that now. :)

The cafeteria.....you can get a special achievement there. But there are spoilers coming now :

Yeah.... i Did not see that coming and that was great. Are we meant to believe the cook killed the people in the freezer? It sure seems like it. Because for no reason I decided to see if I could kill him while he was asking for a favor and I received an achievement for that. And the achievement name is quite telling.

Man I was loving this game but feel like I took a wrong turn at GUYS . Now stuck in cargo bay / life support area with fuckall ammo and tons of phantoms kicking my ass .

Feel like I am playing a souls game

Man I was loving this game but feel like I took a wrong turn at GUYS . Now stuck in cargo bay / life support area with fuckall ammo and tons of phantoms kicking my ass .

Feel like I am playing a souls game

I feel like the which abilities people choose will affect how hard the game is, I take human abilities only in my 1st run and priority in firearm 2, shotgun full upgraded power and combat focus 3. By the time I reached Cargo Bay, I killed all phantoms just using 4 shotgun shots. I
will try 100% alien abilities to see if it's overpowered

What I am really starting to appreciate is how these optional quests really matter as well. It's not just some meaningless side stuff but actually matters and I sure care. Some really well crafted stuff here. More games can learn from this.

Huh. Turns out (mid/late-game enemy spoilers)
the Nightmare only takes 8-12 shotgun blasts to kill. Who knew?

Also, an achievement question related to a side quest on the Bridge:
does Do No Harm take into account your decision regarding the Advent shuttle?
I probably won't go back just to change that but I'm curious.

Need some help with the Danielle Sho quest...

So I need to find that cook. He went under the name Will Mitchell and I have his bracelet. Yet when I search it on the terminal it auto completes the quest immediately.

How am I going to find the fake cook?

v0mitg0d

Nevermind I spoke too soon. Turns out the people are unconscious. So that nullwave DID do its job.

Good guide(s) here + hidden paths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BDflWLlKuk&list=PLUeP4wqAXXLDcmteRbZvvh8UeeZVKTvzz&index=5

DocSeuss

Huh. Turns out (mid/late-game enemy spoilers)
the Nightmare only takes 8-12 shotgun blasts to kill. Who knew?

Upgrade. You aren't anywhere near as powerful as you could be. ;)

So I need to find that cook. He went under the name Will Mitchell and I have his bracelet. Yet when I search it on the terminal it auto completes the quest immediately.

Continue playing the game.

KorrZ

Think about where someone would go if they were trying to escape.

Actual location:
He's in one of the escape pods in the Bridge area

Yeah the room is cleared now and everyone alive, but thanks man. :)

Think about where someone would go if they were trying to escape.

Actual location:
He's in one of the escape pods in the Bridge area

Ah but that's the thing, I was under the impression that he was going to try and
kill more crewmembers, because the journal kinda says that too. Find him before he commits more murders. But good thing is I had to go check out that place anyway since I have that escape pod key.

I really wonder what is up with that fake cook. Talking all bad about Morgan when he actually murders crew, wow.

Oooh and for the optional quest The lover's Gift.

I found a keycard to a storage room and that room is in the Arboretum. But hours ago I already hacked into that storage room. I even tried to lock it and fill in the keycode but it doesn't update the quest though.

Jump scares rarely fuck with me but I cleared a pretty wide space yesterday, picked up a book to read, finished it, and was immediately killed by the book next to it. Had to turn this fkn game off and chill for a minute

OBias

No, it only counts people who you kill personally and deliberately. When you trip a mind-controlled human, it doesn't count either though it affects the ending.

peakish

Jump scares rarely fuck with me but I cleared a pretty wide space yesterday, picked up a book to read, finished it, and was immediately killed by the book next to it. Had to turn this fkn game off and chill for a minute
Lmao, incredible.

I was really enjoying it (excellent atmosphere, combat's a little janky) until I just hit Deep Storage. Game play just turned to shit. I'm playing on easy and I'm still dying in a few hits from enemies who take very little damage. And it's either fight a boss type enemy in a tiny room or a larger radioactive room.

Bleagh. Really really regret buying it right now.
Is it the technopath that is killing you? Those are pretty much boss encounters. What weapons, skills and equipment do you have available?
They are weak to the Nullwave grenades. IIRC the room has a lot of explosive canisters in it, too. Put some of them in his path and blow him up, then throw the Nullwave grenade when he engages you.

Jaraghan

If anyone is having trouble with hard encounters: fully upgrade your shotgun, grab all Combat Slowtime perks, pick damage perks, even sneak if you want. Use nullifier grenades, pop slow time, laugh as you take down enemies with absolute ease with the shotgun. This strat works for me in every encounter.

pa22word

I feel like the which abilities people choose will affect how hard the game is, I take human abilities only in my 1st run and priority in firearm 2, shotgun full upgraded power and combat focus 3. By the time I reached Cargo Bay, I killed all phantoms just using 4 shotgun shots. I
will try 100% alien abilities to see if it's overpowered

Based on my 100% human run and now doing my 100% typhon run I can say that there isn't an unbalance in the system as much as there is, and this is straight from system shock 2, a very real specialization trap around early midgame where if you spread yourself too thin across the trees once the game starts ramping up the challenge you won't be powerful enough either which way to deal with what's coming at you.

Considering the plot and what the game inherently is in relation to System Shock 2 I think this is probably a deliberate choice. Narratively I think they wanted you to make a hard choice between the two because it makes the theme of lost humanity much more fully felt if you just fall totally into that trap with speed rather than try and walking a fine line, so they just kind of give you a little nudge in that direction. I think the argument they're presenting here with the way the mechanics are set up is that your humanity when you start chipping away at it, is a slippery slope. One violent act leads to another, one life taken makes it easier to take another, etc.

Moff

I don't feel I had to specialize at all, quite the contrary, midway through the game I was an unstoppable killer and could manipulate the environment completely and reach all areas. it's true that you won't unlock every skill, but that's mostly because most skills are useless/boring, and that doesn't stop you from being a jack of all trades midway through the game. of course unless you deliberately limit yourself and makes human only and a typhon only run.

Top Bottom