• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

That enemy you are talking about isn't hard to kill, especially if you have typhon powers. If you don't have powers, then I hope you have upgraded firearms. If not, then maybe it's hard to kill, lol. It hits hard but isn't very fast and it's a big target

Oh, it wasn't that it was super hard to kill (though I did die a few times). I was just wondering if there was any way to approach that section besides shooting/beating it to smithereens.

Wait. Unless you're talking about
the Nightmare
. Because I haven't done anything with that yet.

Stoze

well I fucked up
I managed not to spoil myself at all on this game
but I'm pretty sure I spoiled myself on the identity of a key character
when I began (major spoilers inferred ahead)
another new game to show a family member this game's baller ass opening and chose the gender I didn't choose the first time.
I caught that just from watching a bit of preview footage before the game's release. Don't worry about it, it's not a big spoiler, especially because you haven't seen the context of it.

Am I close to the end of the game?

I re-booted Talos I and my next main objective is to go meet with Alex.
It feels like that next mission might set off the end of the game, so I'm wondering if now is a good time to explore and do side quests.

Also, is there anything you can do with the tracking bracelets?

pa22word

It feels like that next mission might set off the end of the game, so I'm wondering if now is a good time to explore and do side quests.

Very close

No idea about the bracelets, was kinda wondering about that myself lol >.>

Very close

No idea about the bracelets, was kinda wondering about that myself lol >.>

Thanks! I'll do sidequests then. I've got a *ton* backed up.

As for the bracelets, I thought you could maybe use them at that terminal in Deep Storage, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Finally started to enjoy the combat more. It can feel really good once you start taking advantage of enemy weaknesses. I love popping a Pyschoshock on a Weaver and then watching it melt under a couple blasts from my shotgun.

This game really needs NG+. I'd love to play from the beginning on the hardest difficulty with all of the abilities unlocked. Hopefully they add it like they did with DH2.

You can recycle the tracking bracelets. They are of no use like any junk items you pick up in the game

pa22word

Thanks! I'll do sidequests then. I've got a *ton* backed up.

As for the bracelets, I thought you could maybe use them at that terminal in Deep Storage, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Finally started to enjoy the combat more. It can feel really good once you start taking advantage of enemy weaknesses. I love popping a Pyschoshock on a Weaver and then watching it melt under a couple blasts from my shotgun.

This game really needs NG+. I'd love to play from the beginning on the hardest difficulty with all of the abilities unlocked. Hopefully they add it like they did with DH2.

Just a word of warning: do everything you can right now if you want to do it. The game will soon enter PNR territory on you.

psychotron

This game is awesome. I just love going off exploring areas that have no quest relevance and finding information or useful items. The game truly rewards curiosity, as long as you're cautious.

pa22word

You can recycle the tracking bracelets. They are of no use like any junk items you pick up in the game

Yeah, I had figured that was the case but the game doesn't autodump them and uses them for individual inventory slots...

I was just overly cautious about the game maybe dumping some late game BS on me with them so by end of game I had like half an inventory row of them loaded with nothing but tracking bracelets lol >.<

I've had the idea that you could drop tracking bracelets at something you want to come back to later than track that person to get a map marker to the bracelet, but haven't really ran into a situation I've needed to do that yet as the areas are just the right size I can memorize them fine.

Just finished it. Played 34 hours. Really cool twist at the end. The Story finally started to pick up fast towards the end. As for cons - Combat okay, Loading times on ps4, enemies you fight kinda weak and needed more or something. A lot better experience if you do all the quests n look around.

8.5 /10. Glad i played it.

I'm playing the demo and this game is giving me MAJOR BioShock vibes. I love the artstyle, too. If I loved the original BioShock and BioShock Infinite, should I pick up this game? I'm currently playing the demo and I just got to the Talos 1 lobby. Combat is meh right now, but I'm hoping that it's better in the full game.

J_Viper

Holy fuck, that
Nightmare
was spooky, but then he glitched out, locked up, then I shot him a few times and that was that. Lol.

Does he come back?

Nabs

Holy fuck, that
Nightmare
was spooky, but then he glitched out, locked up, then I shot him a few times and that was that. Lol.

Does he come back?

oh yes

I'm playing the demo and this game is giving me MAJOR BioShock vibes. I love the artstyle, too. If I loved the original BioShock and BioShock Infinite, should I pick up this game? I'm currently playing the demo and I just got to the Talos 1 lobby. Combat is meh right now, but I'm hoping that it's better in the full game.

oh yes

Eusis

Just a word of warning: do everything you can right now if you want to do it. The game will soon enter PNR territory on you.
Ohh, had a suspicion there. Yeah, gotta see what I need to do, though probably just do the treasure hunt then wrap things up.

SliChillax

As someone who isn't the biggest Bioshock fan, will I like this game? I see many people comparing it to Bioshock and it gets me worried. Reason why I don't like the Bioshock games it's due to the way the story is presented through mostly audio logs which ruin the pace of the game and I never know what's going on.

As someone who isn't the biggest Bioshock fan, will I like this game? I see many people comparing it to Bioshock and it gets me worried. Reason why I don't like the Bioshock games it's due to the way the story is presented through mostly audio logs which ruin the pace of the game and I never know what's going on.

Prey is more like System Shock than Bioshock.

The neat thing about Prey's audio logs is its more like people conversing with each other and show the fairly mundane lives of Talos 1's employees rather than monologues from a guy in his final moments.

Finished the game and really, really, enjoyed it. I missed some sidequests. Enemy variety could have been a bit better, but I ended up liking the combat well enough with the various tools at your disposal. I went almost entirely human powers with one exception, and by the end I was running around super fast, freezing time, jumping high, and shotgunning everything that moved in 1-3 shots, and I knew the station so well that I could just run and weave past everything that I didn't feel like fighting, which felt cool.

Already having urges to go back and play with more Typhon abilities, or start trying to screw with the game's story by choosing whether to off certain NPCs early on.

GHG

Gold Member

IMO you will miss out on a lot of the story (and a lot of secrets and side quests) if you don't read the audiologs, notes, emails and journals you can find lying around the world. You will get a really good idea of what's going on as you progress through the main quest but the sense of place a lot of and uncovering the mystery of the events that unfolded will come from you exploring and finding the stuff I mentioned above.

I'm going to try replying Bioshock after playing this because I'm older and wiser than I was when I first played it (I'm a believer that these types of games suit a mature audience better than any other genre) but I actually enjoy finding all that stuff in the world this time, whereas in Bioshock while I loved the atmosphere I felt that stuff broke up the game too much. So take that for what you will.

SliChillax

whereas in Bioshock while I loved the atmosphere I felt that stuff broke up the game too much. So take that for what you will.
Exactly my point, I don't mind audio logs or exploring secrets to get immersed in the story as long as it doesn't feel as disconnected like Bioshock. If you have the same opinion as me on Bioshock but you liked Prey then I'll give it a go.

Prey is more like System Shock than Bioshock.

The neat thing about Prey's audio logs is its more like people conversing with each other and show the fairly mundane lives of Talos 1's employees rather than monologues from a guy in his final moments.
Interesting, I'll definitely pick the game up.

Varna

On an somewhat related note... I kept seeing the term "immersive sim" around here. I looked it up and eh... the name just feels wrong for this kind of game. When people say immersive sim I think more of Arma and all the DayZ wannabe games.

GHG

Gold Member
Exactly my point, I don't mind audio logs or exploring secrets to get immersed in the story as long as it doesn't feel as disconnected like Bioshock. If you have the same opinion as me on Bioshock but you liked Prey then I'll give it a go.

Interesting, I'll definitely pick the game up.

It's hard to believe but Bioshock was 10 years ago. I was basically a kid (not literally, but I was at university) and my favourite games at the time were Gears and COD:MW whereas I can't stand those games now. A lot has changed lol.

Try the demo and see what you think. If you're on PC you can always get a refund within a couple of hours if you're not feeling it.

pa22word

On an somewhat related note... I kept seeing the term "immersive sim" around here. I looked it up and eh... the name just feels wrong for this kind of game. When people say immersive sim I think more of Arma and all the DayZ wannabe games.

Well DayZ and its like pretty much all take a lot from STALKER, and STALKER takes a lot from System Shock. Games like Prey and Bioshock take the ideas laid down there to different end points, but the heart and soul of these games are still very similar despite different viewpoints on what that means for game design.

Are there any
poltergeists
that spawn near the end of the game? I need to scan one more to unlock an ability for an achievement, but can't find one.

I mean, the term "immersive sim" preates games like Arma and DayZ by quite a margin.

e: I'd argue that Arma (and DayZ, I guess? Never played it) would qualify, since it revolves around being able to take realistic (for the setting) actions and having logical outcomes, without being overly pre-determined and "gamey". Although you may be able to make the argument that it's a straight-up simulator.

Varna

I mean, the term "immersive sim" preates games like Arma and DayZ by quite a margin.

Really? Huh. Had not seen it until very recently. The "sim" part of it just doesn't make much sense with normal video games. Things like Arma are certainly in another spectrum as far as I am concerned.

pa22word

Really? Huh. Had not seen it until very recently. The "sim" part of it just doesn't make much sense with normal video games. Things like Arma are certainly in another spectrum as far as I am concerned.

It's become a catch all to describe games that play like stuff Looking Glass used to make. Back in the day that was basically just Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Ever since Bioshock though (STALKER came out the same year, too) there's been a lot more activity in the genre so thus the term.

The term comes from Warren Spector's Deux Ex post-mortem in 2000. You're hearing the term more now because of games like Prey and the System Shock games becoming more immediately relevant.

Arma is indeed on an entirely different level, because the devs made the deliberate decision to focus on what's best for realism over what's best for gameplay. It's more of a straight-up simulator in the vein of Flight Simulator and the like than an "immersive sim," which make more concessions for gameplay.

pa22word

The term comes from Warren Spector's Deux Ex post-mortem in 2000.

Arma is indeed on an entirely different level, because the devs made deliberate decision to focus on what's best for realism over what's best for gameplay. It's more of a straight-up simulator in the vein of Flight Simulator and the like than an "immersive sim," which make more concessions for gameplay.

This is a little unfair considering the original System Shock is mostly still beloved today because the game deliberately made a ton of concessions for simulation over game design. This is why you had such an uproar from a segment of the fanbase that favors the simulation side of Shock when the Remake kickstarter added RPG systems as a stretch goal.

Hell, Looking Glass even made Flight Sims for crying out loud!

This is a little unfair considering the original System Shock is mostly still beloved today because the game deliberately made a ton of concessions for simulation over game design. This is why you had such an uproar from a segment of the fanbase that favors the simulation side of Shock when the Remake kickstarter added RPG systems as a stretch goal.

Hell, Looking Glass even made Flight Sims for crying out loud!

System Shock is still a very "gamey" game though, and did make some concessions towards gameplay. The SenseAround upgrade, for example, doesn't really make sense from a real-world perspective, and is only there to compensate for how long it takes you to turn around and because enemies can spawn directly behind you. Citadel is also probably the most unintuitively designed location outside of Resident Evil, because the devs put interesting level design over creating a realistic space station.

It still went beyond what games at the time (and most today) offered, but there's still a lot gameisms. Whereas Arma is basically as realistic as you can get while still being playable.

...I lost my near fully upgraded stun gun to the Arboretum inventory bug and didn't notice until all my recent saves were overwritten.

I've been loving this game but this is the kind of thing that makes me unsure about wanting to continue... Don't suppose there's anyway to cheat it back?

...I lost my near fully upgraded stun gun to the Arboretum inventory bug and didn't notice until all my recent saves were overwritten.

I've been loving this game but this is the kind of thing that makes me unsure about wanting to continue... Don't suppose there's anyway to cheat it back?

What is this bug? I think the same thing happened to me. I remember picking up the stun gun but now I don't have it. Dang.

What is this bug? I think the same thing happened to me. I remember picking up the stun gun but now I don't have it. Dang.

Randomly when transitioning between the Arboretum and another area an inventory item will disappear. Think it happened to me when going between the Arboretum and the Lobby...

Gonna look into using Cheat Engine to get the gun and upgrades back, hopefully I can make it work.

ilium

Randomly when transitioning between the Arboretum and another area an inventory item will disappear. Think it happened to me when going between the Arboretum and the Lobby...

Gonna look into using Cheat Engine to get the gun and upgrades back, hopefully I can make it work.

Whaaat? That's where I left Off Last night, damn

What the hell, can't even go back into the Arboretum from the exterior without losing a stack of materials :S Seemed to be whatever was in my first inventory slot but I tried to trick it by throwing some trash there but it ignored it and took the next slot with a block of materials anyway.

Don't think I can continue playing until this is fixed...

Jaraghan

Well this Arboretum bug has me scared now. I'm really enjoying this game, but I don't want to continue if ny inventory is going to disappear.

Are there any
poltergeists
that spawn near the end of the game? I need to scan one more to unlock an ability for an achievement, but can't find one.

They can show up as random encounters late game. Maybe they get locked out when the
military operators
show up though. The airlock section of hardware labs seems to have them sometimes.

All right, so after Googling I found out that the item removed is the oldest one to have been moved, so it can be worked around by moving everything in the inventory except for the one trash item you want to use as bug bait (I used a single unit of mineral material). Just, save everytime you zone in/out of the arboretum and then check your inventory. If you lost something, reload and do the inventory shuffle to bait the bug into eating something you don't care about.

I was then able to remake my stun gun using this Cheat Engine table (Under Zanzer's cheats) which has an infinite supplies cheat and now all is peachy for me. Will be annoying to have to deal with this bug, but at least it can be worked around so I don't have to stop playing.

mbpm1

The old "corpse leaning on a door and falling when you open it" bug got the biggest jump in the game from me. Sometimes the classics work best.

I've been hacking corrupted operators to act as my kronies now that I have hacking three. It's pretty cool. I hope they stick around when I transition to another level like turrets.

finally beat the game during my 32nd hour, hell of a game. tons of freedom and things to do.

i had WAY too much ammo for every weapon, lol, especially the Q Beam which i had almost 4,000 cells

i really want there to be dlc or a sequel or something.

Are there any
poltergeists

yup.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
If you do the quest for
Danielle Sho
to
kill the fake cook
if you
let him blow himself up
does that count as
a kill?
. I'm trying to
save everyone first run

If you do the quest for
Danielle Sho
to
kill the fake cook
if you
let him blow himself up
does that count as
a kill?
. I'm trying to
save everyone first run

not sure, but i just
ran up on the grenade, disarmed it while he was sitting there.

he kept laughing maniacally at the part where he's supposed to condense into raw materials, which made me chuckle.

then he just collapses and goes unconscious.

i got the trophy at the end of the game.

Maybe i should pick a save that are about the midpoint in the game and try and upgrade different neuromods, and do some more side quests.

Seems like i have upgraded in a dumb way and that i have rushed towards the end without knowing it.

Golden gun baby! It's starting stats are already better than my silenced handgun.

I love how I could have easily missed this optional quest and if you don't have a high enough lock picking skill you won't be able to get it. The developer really encourages exploration and rewards you. Really good stuff!

I can probably dismantle that handgun now.

Top Bottom