• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

Fifa 14 demo is a dissapointment, so I am ready to go back to the king... downloading the Demo.

Being playing these since WE4, but went to FIFA by Fifa 12

Small snippet from Evo-Web, the crowd now supports individual player chants. Edit mode is going to be a lot of fun this year.

I'm really happy. Never in a million years did I expect anything similar.

Option files and modding will be crazy

Jack cw

Small snippet from Evo-Web, the crowd now supports individual player chants. Edit mode is going to be a lot of fun this year.

I'm really happy.
I hope the expanded the kit creation. Would be nice to edit things in higher quality and the back of the shirts...

rvy

Banned
I hope the expanded the kit creation. Would be nice to edit things in higher quality and the back of the shirts...

Kit creation has been completely overhauled, game now supports high-res png logos and so forth, also more options for player sleeves and more.

Kiraly

I would like to take a moment to thank https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti for his kindness. he has sent myself and Paul two promotional copies of the game just because we worked on the OT. It really came out of nowhere, I simply messaged him on Twitter a couple of times for info on the game and then forwarded him this thread. Very generous of him and Konami to do this for two guys on the internet who are not part of the press at all.

Thanks a lot, Adam. It is very appreciated. And also thanks to this place for being big enough to justify this sort of thing.

That's fucking awesome.

Congratulations to Konami for making a great game this year, I'll definitely be buying this.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

I'm really happy. Never in a million years did I expect anything similar.

Does that mean you have the game now then? MAKE MORE GIFS!

;p

Hargenx

But in Asia and South America, FIFA is not even a factor.

Hold your horse mate, FIFa gained lot of terrain in Brazil and the rest of south america, PES is still king but we got some good fight from FIFA over here.

rvy

Banned
Hold your horse mate, FIFa gained lot of terrain in Brazil and the rest of south america, PES is still king but we got some good fight from FIFA over here.

Maybe in Brazil specifically, but not in other parts of South America according to people from Konami.

http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=2777089&postcount=14425

Guys, another day at the office, but some quick impressions about yesterday with the game:

MODES:

- Libertadores Mode is a blast, south american football ambience everywere, the crowd, the fireworks, the chants. Sadly almost all the matches are on one of konami's fake stadium, for local and visit matches. At least for little teams.

- Training Mode is very very enjoyable and deep, it allows you to learn all the new things of the game very very well, it's very addicting to, when you complete the objective of a session, you keep it playing again.

- New Latin America commentaries (Argentinians and Chileans), are just like the broadcast here in south america, so alive and real, and with a lot of passion. They put you more in the game.

- About edit mode, i did a quick view, and it seems that every unlicensed team you can edit completly, so is just a matter of time for the modders to full licence them.

GAMEPLAY:

- Definitely is more polished than the demo, no "ketchup" bug, you must to tap R1 to run, but you must to be smart, because it' like a little burst of speed, and it's matter of ability, because defence can do it to, and they can push you with their body ( running with L and movin R directly to the attacker direction.) So you must run smartly to fool the defender.

- There's a lot of times that you are running, but then you have to stop because the defender is almost there, and you must do some dribbling or feint, to fool him. A lot of one on one battle between attacker and defender, in every part of the field. Sometimes it's 1 against 2, and when you achieve to pass them is the best feeling in the world. And the crow cheers for things like that!

- GK. OMG, i think i saw at least 12 new animations of saves just yesterday, with foot a lot, one hand against low balls too. I'm very impressed that low stats keepers at least from libertadores teams, they do a very good job.

Here's a neat one that will help a lot of you out:

How to sprint

jett

D-Member
Maybe in Brazil specifically, but not in other parts of South America according to people from Konami.

Here's a neat one that will help a lot of you out:

How to sprint

When it comes to Latin America people couldn't give two flying fucks about Fifa. There's PES, and nothing else.

rvy

Banned
Will the UK version have south american spanish commentaries as an option?

No. I think we should definitely try to ask for it via OfficialPES on Twitter. Maybe they'll release DLC for it.

BT9vP40IgAA2AOf.jpg:large

Can someone tell me if Champions League is integrated into the Master League mode?

In other words, in my ML, can I qualify and play in Champions League?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
There must be something seriously wrong with my PES 14 demo on PS3. The buttonlag is insane, the game's utterly unplayable! Whatever I do takes almost a second to react on screen!

rvy

Banned
There must be something seriously wrong with my PES 14 demo on PS3. The buttonlag is insane, the game's utterly unplayable! Whatever I do takes almost a second to react on screen!

There's nothing wrong, it's inertia and momentum. It's how the game is designed. It takes getting used to. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but it's not button lag.

Spat_triate

If you pass while the player is a few meters away and expect the ball to magically leave his foot the instant you press the button, well it's not going to happen. If you slow your game down and keep the ball within reach passes/shots are almost instant.

There's nothing wrong, it's inertia and momentum. It's how the game is designed. It takes getting used to. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but it's not button lag.

The only response lag I see is after small collisions. The animation just sort of stops and you are either switched to another player automatically or can't move for a second or so.

feel

I dunno, seems like button lag to me, it's affecting the cursors too and whatnot. Takes forever to do anything and it's seriously getting in the way of my enjoyment of the game, cannot make any split second move or decision when dribbling or passing, it doesn't seem right. US PSN demo here fwiw.

edit-
could be my TV settings or something though, I'm too used to my fast PC monitor.

JayTapp

I tried the demo on ps3 and 360.

OMG the framerate on PS3 is atrocious. Pretty big slowdown, even during gameplay. On 360 it was pretty smooth except maybe some cutscenes.

The presentation is a joke. Ugly confusing menus and glitch goal still present from previous versions.

Animations were indeed pretty nice but i'll wait for FIFA 14 on PS4.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I dunno, seems like button lag to me, it's affecting the cursors too and whatnot. Takes forever to do anything and it's seriously getting in the way of my enjoyment of the game, cannot make any split second move or decision when dribbling or passing, it doesn't seem right. US PSN demo here fwiw.

edit-
could be my TV settings or something though, I'm too used to my fast PC monitor.

It's button lag. It's not about the inertia. If the full game is like that, then I won't actually buy it. And I've bought every PES game since the beginning. The game feels more or less like a laggy online match when I play it, takes half a second when switching players even, and the cursor is laggy as hell when navigating the menu. The Game Plan screen cursor is insanely slow too, but that may be by design (although it's going to take forever to do anything in Game Plan if it is, unlike in PES13 which was fast and smooth).

I actually can't believe people aren't noticing this. Using a white SuperSlim PS3 btw.

feel

It's button lag. It's not about the inertia. If the full game is like that, then I won't actually buy it. And I've bought every PES game since the beginning. The game feels more or less like a laggy online match when I play it, takes half a second when switching players even, and the cursor is laggy as hell when navigating the menu. The Game Plan screen cursor is insanely slow too, but that may be by design (although it's going to take forever to do anything in Game Plan if it is, unlike in PES13 which was fast and smooth).

I actually can't believe people aren't noticing this. Using a white SuperSlim PS3 btw.
It's seriously bad. The fact that the community is not making a big fuss about it makes me think someone fucked up and there's different demos out there all labeled as the same one.

mf luder

How do I do curved through balls? I wish they'd let us do more than basic tutorial so we could learn all the new controls properly.

rvy

Banned

edit-

There's certainly some cursor switching issues here and there which is not related to input-lag, it's an issue with the cursors themselves, but as far as the rest goes, I do not notice any input-lag. But if you're coming off 10 years of PES I can understand why it would feel like that.

You want split-second decisions? You need a player capable of those.

How much have you played? It takes a few matches for it to click. It was immediate for me because I spent a long time with the leaked that that did feature a lot of input-lag, but it will take some time for most people.

Honestly, I think former PES players who have been playing every game for a while and FIFA players will have a tough time adjusting, especially because of the short halves, but you need to come in and disregard how you used to play PES or how you play FIFA.

I'm finding it very hard to build up attacks through the centre. Most of my goals are comign from the wings and defensive mistakes from the ai.

rvy

Banned
I'm finding it very hard to build up attacks through the centre. Most of my goals are comign from the wings and defensive mistakes from the ai.

One-twos and telling players to create space is the way to go. L1/LB + pass or R1/RT + right stick in the direction of the player respectively.

One-twos and telling players to create space is the way to go. L1/LB + pass or R1/RT + right stick in the direction of the player respectively.

That's usually how I play PES 13, just haven't gotten the hang of it in 14 yet. I have to say advanced through ball to a winger followed by double tap R1 sprint during a counter attack is one of the nicest things I've done in a football game, it feels so natural.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
There's certainly some cursor switching issues here and there which is not related to input-lag, it's an issue with the cursors themselves, but as far as the rest goes, I do not notice any input-lag. But if you're coming off 10 years of PES I can understand why it would feel like that.

You want split-second decisions? You need a player capable of those.

How much have you played? It takes a few matches for it to click. It was immediate for me because I spent a long time with the leaked that that did feature a lot of input-lag, but it will take some time for most people.

Honestly, I think former PES players who have been playing every game for a while and FIFA players will have a tough time adjusting, especially because of the short halves, but you need to come in and disregard how you used to play PES or how you play FIFA.

It's not just the cursor, though, it's the whole game that's seemingly half a second behind everything I tell it to do. And no, it's not how the game was designed, I'm sure of it. If they release the game like this, with a framerate this bad, it will be slaughtered in reviews.

EDIT: if it's the PS3 version that's problematic, this is why you should release the PC demo at the same time, Konami. I'm seeing a huge amount of lost sales if people play a horrid version of a demo.

After a long while of FIFA I tried to get back into PES and played the 360 demo yesterday. The gameplay is slow compared to FIFA, the sometimes un-skippable replays slow it down even more. It just felt really sluggish, which is probably thanks to the new engine being a bit too much for the current-gen.

maxxpower

It's not just the cursor, though, it's the whole game that's seemingly half a second behind everything I tell it to do. And no, it's not how the game was designed, I'm sure of it. If they release the game like this, with a framerate this bad, it will be slaughtered in reviews.

EDIT: if it's the PS3 version that's problematic, this is why you should release the PC demo at the same time, Konami. I'm seeing a huge amount of lost sales if people play a horrid version of a demo.

The match itself doesn't seem to suffer from a bad frame rate in my demo, but all the menus and the intro before the match are laggy as hell. To me there is definitely some obvious input lag, almost reaching PES 2010 levels. Shooting is just atrocious, it's like a mix between PES 2012 and FIFA shooting, it's floaty and it goes wherever the fuck it wants to.

Can't wait to start a master league though and sign Reus, dude is a fucking beast.

cormack12

Gold Member
Definitely a lag between hitting L2 to switch players (customised controls) and actually controlling the other player. Also right thumbstick to select players appears to have gone AWOL (or is even slower than the L2 method).

Someone else mentioned it as well about game plan. It crawls to the locations when you're making a sub.

Both of these are really annoying as they are basic elements of the game. Have tweeted Adam Bhatti about it but not had a response yet. I'm still going to buy it, excellent game just those two things are well frustrating.

EDIT: PS3 version.

Pachimari

Yea super strange the menus are slower and it annoys me I can't shift players with the right analogue stick.

Yet, I'm actually surprised I prefer this over FIFA 14 so far, even though I were huge in PES from 1-5.

I still don't understand how I can dribble with the right stick...

Tecl0n

After a long while of FIFA I tried to get back into PES and played the 360 demo yesterday. The gameplay is slow compared to FIFA, the sometimes un-skippable replays slow it down even more. It just felt really sluggish, which is probably thanks to the new engine being a bit too much for the current-gen.

Slow compared to new FIFA?

Yea super strange the menus are slower and it annoys me I can't shift players with the right analogue stick.

Yet, I'm actually surprised I prefer this over FIFA 14 so far, even though I were huge in PES from 1-5.

Yea dribbling is a little tough to get used to coming from fifa where its extremely simple to do tricks. Make sure you have Auto Feints in the Settings turned OFF.

What ive been doing is turning the difficulty to easy and running back to near my box where the CPU doesnt seem to pressure then messing with the sticks there.

cormack12

Gold Member

Try this when you're running towards the right of the screen. Flick the right thumbstick down, finger off then flick the left thumbstick right and he should do a side step then a push forward. It's all about timing though. Needs to be seamless and quite quick.

I would like to take a moment to thank https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti for his kindness. he has sent myself and Paul two promotional copies of the game just because we worked on the OT. It really came out of nowhere, I simply messaged him on Twitter a couple of times for info on the game and then forwarded him this thread. Very generous of him and Konami to do this for two guys on the internet who are not part of the press at all.

Thanks a lot, Adam. It is very appreciated. And also thanks to this place for being big enough to justify this sort of thing.

I see he has read PR for dummies in the last 2 months time.

Hundreds of faces will be added to the game post launch, it is simply an issue of re-making the assets as opposed to using the old ones, the engine does not allow it, so that's why we have a lot of key player faces missing that you probably didn't expect.

I will believe it when I see it. Remember too well the lies from the WENB days, which probably was a great audition to become konami community manager. But hey Adam, now that you are apparently reading the thread : can we expect a pro clubs seasons mode like Fifa anytime? It's really the most addictive game mode and the only thing I want to play these days in football games. In that your lack of licenses wouldn't matter either, seems like a no brainer to put some money into.

Yeah, because gifting promo copies of the game to two internet nobodies will really make a difference in how the game is reviewed and sold.

Wooden pls

Nah, but a thank you for your generosity post does help his reputation at least, when everyone were getting angry with him not that long ago in another thread for being extremely condescending.

rvy

Banned
Nah, but a thank you for your generosity post does help his reputation at least, when everyone were getting angry with him not that long ago in another thread.

How does it help his reputation? He contacted me privately, it wasn't on his Twitter page for everyone to see his generosity. I'm not going around Evo-Web and WENB telling everyone how Adam is a great guy because he sent me a promo copy. Nobody knows who Adam Bhatti even is on NeoGAF, maybe a handful of people. I thanked him in this thread because it was a nice gesture and he went out of his way when he had no reason too.

How does it help his reputation? He contacted me privately, it wasn't on his Twitter page for everyone to see his generosity. I'm not going around Evo-Web and WENB telling everyone how Adam is a great guy because he sent me a promo copy. Nobody knows who Adam Bhatti even is on NeoGAF, maybe a handful of people. I thanked him in this thread because it was a nice gesture and he went out of his way when he had no reason too.

Heh, I didn't accuse you of that or anything close to it, stop strawmanning. I commented/hinted to Adam and the threads he spawned a few months back and how we for once saw something positive about him, that was it.

Anyway glad to see my PES cycle posted earlier, I made that back in the WENB days. :p

Top Bottom