• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

danowat

Banned
In my experience, it absolutely does.
I wish people would state the circumstances instead of just incoherently ranting about 'bad'. I've only raced GT cars so far, so can't comment on open wheelers or karts. I use cockpit view or bonnet cam. I've raced with max grids in all ToD and weather, but generally avoid rain (not for performance reasons, I just don't like the lower grip).
The 'ghosting' doesn't bother me. I hardly notice it, but it is there.
Game looks and performs superbly on PS4 in my limited experience. Not absolutely perfectly, but pretty damn close.

YMMV.

Pretty much my experience.

Technically I have no issue, there are just some odd design decisions I struggle to get my head around.

MANGOD

Banned
Ive only done 1 race on ps4 which was Dubai, 10 ai with sunny weather and the frame drops and tearing was noticeable after the first lap. If this was forza or gran turismo it would have been slated

In my experience, it absolutely does.
I wish people would state the circumstances instead of just incoherently ranting about 'bad'. I've only raced GT cars so far, so can't comment on open wheelers or karts. I use cockpit view or bonnet cam. I've raced with max grids in all ToD and weather, but generally avoid rain (not for performance reasons, I just don't like the lower grip).
The 'ghosting' doesn't bother me. I hardly notice it, but it is there.
Game looks and performs superbly on PS4 in my limited experience. Not absolutely perfectly, but pretty damn close.

YMMV.

I'm on a holiday right now and reading all these replies on GAF worry me. Reading your post however makes me wish I was home already and playing the game. Thanks for the positive impressions.

What's your PC specs? I ended up going PS4 despite having a decent PC ( well a couple a years ago it was). I'm happy with the peformance though.

I'm just bring overly picky.

I have a i5-4690k and 970. Game still looks great, I'm just trying to optimize as much as possible.

danowat

Banned
Ive only done 1 race on ps4 which was Dubai, 10 ai with sunny weather and the frame drops and tearing was noticeable after the first lap. If this was forza or gran turismo it would have been slated

I call bullshit on this.

Just done the same race, but with double the AI, and there are no framedrops.

Would you like me to upload a video?

Mascot

I'm on a holiday right now and reading all these replies on GAF worry me. Reading your post however makes me wish I was home already and playing the game. Thanks for the positive impressions.
No doubt I'll eventually encounter aberrations depending on the mix of variables, but so far any minor drops or rare tearing absolutely do not hinder my enjoyment one iota. I find the gameplay utterly absorbing and incredibly thrilling so far. Hope you end up agreeing.

saladine1

I just hope that SMS is working hard at sorting whatever issues there are because I really want this to succeed and be a franchise. There is so much potential here....

maximrace

I have noticed that when you use the Xbox One instant on mode( the game stays open when your console is off) it has worse performance. Lot of frame drops in turns, so it's adviced to restart the game everytime you want to play imo

leng jai

A wheel will be the best choice, so much more involving than a pad.
Having said that though, I find the controller to be quite well implemented in CARS. Feels so much more like Forza than SHIFT thank God..

If I'm honest, I kind of miss the progression or 'grind' that other games have. At the moment, it doesn't quite feel rewarding enough. I keep looking for some money after a race lol.

Hopefully, pCars 2 has a more fleshed out career where there are more incentives for going through the career.

The best experience I've had so far was in quick race on the US Coastal map with a constant thunderstorm going on. For some reason I came into this thinking it would have a meaty career mode but it looks like I might end up mostly playing it Drive Club style -custom races tailored to my own liking. I pretty much spend 100 hours in DC purely from that mode.

No doubt I'll eventually encounter aberrations depending on the mix of variables, but so far any minor drops or rare tearing absolutely do not hinder my enjoyment one iota. I find the gameplay utterly absorbing and incredibly thrilling so far. Hope you end up agreeing.

Really hope so too. I hope the framerate won't hurt my experience. Guess it's a personal thing. A friend of mine did not notice any framerate problems on NFS PS4 for instance ( pre patch ) but it almost ruined the game for me personally. But then again, almost nothing a patch can't fix.

The car engine sounds at default level 100 are very loud. I changed it to 30. I just couldn't believe how loud is was one I first booted it up on PS4.

Malcolm9

From what I've played so far on the PS4 version I haven't seen any screen tearing or massive frame drops.

I've only messed around in quick races, but this was with 19 other cars in clear conditions. The motion blur could be done with being toned down, but for me it's a pretty minor issue for myself.

Some of the console shit posts are quite jarring to read, the game looks and feels great on the PS4 from my experience.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been futilely attempting the career kart stuff. Two questions:

1. Is there no penalty for dropping the clutch early on standing starts? I tried it and did not seem to get any sort of penalty for cruising past the other waiting drivers, but it felt like cheating so I restarted.
  2. The kart AI seems determined to play bumper cars. I have not found any good way to pass on the tiny kart tracks, in short sprint races, without ramming someone in the process. This is even with manual gearing. Am I missing something obvious? Maybe I should be racing to the outside edge of turns, then trying to speed past?

ValfarHL

I use the following settings for my T500RS:

Damper = 0
Force Feedback = 60

Tire Force = 100
Change the following settings but leave the rest below Tire Force unchanged:
Deadzone Removal Range = 0.05-0.08 (depends on your preference)
Relative Adjust Gain = 0.98
Relative Adjust Bleed = 0.10
Relative Adjust Clamp = 0.96
Scoop Knee = 0.70 (this is the most important one)
Scoop Reduction = 0.10

Found here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/project-cars-t500-wheel-setting.105049/

I find this working damn good, though I can't change settings in 0.1 increments, only 0.5.
Is this a bug or what?

Edit: Next post says:
1) I recommend setting the ingame FFB strength setting to 100 (very very important!). Then instead set the FFB strength in the Thrustmaster CONTROL PANEL between 60 - 75, depending on how much of a workout you want.

Can't remember if I did this.

Mascot

This reminds me of a story I'm pretty sure I've told on Gaf before.

It was in one of the early builds back in 2012 when they first added Spa (still called Belgian Forest at the time).

I decided to take out the Formula A on Spa in the early hour of the morning (around 6:30-7AM) with just a touch of mist but otherwise clear sky.

I was slowly driving around the track. Not trying to set fast laps or anything... Just a good old sunday morning leasure drive (in a FA lol). The forest was completely silent except for the roar of my engine and its echo bouncing off the mountains. I could see the Sun slowly rising beyond the trees with the God Rays filterning through them.

I'm 100% serious, I had a bit of an epiphany moment. It was one of the most beautiful thing I've experienced. I was borderline emotional. The perfect moment captured in the prettiest way.

This was basically me at the end

epiphany-omg.gif

I've always previously skipped practise sessions on race weekends in other sims but thought I'd better take the opportunity for the first race of my career in the GT3 Ruf at Silverstone. I had a new team manager to impress, after all..! The first session was in post-dawn mist with a moody sky, so the whole circuit was bathed in this sublimely ethereal light, all shades of grey, with colour accents provided by neon tail-lights and illuminated hoardings. It was incredibly atmospheric, especially with the eerie silence getting shattered by snorting engines. I loved seeing cars streaming in and out of the pits, some cars obviously on out-laps carefully warming their tyres, others driving flat out trying to set times - everybody simply going about their business. I felt like a pretender, an imposter, and it gave me an intangible nervous expectation, even fear for the upcoming qualifying sessions. It's exactly these types of emotions that I was hoping pCARS would evoke as part of the authenticity of the race weekend experience.

ValfarHL

I've always previously skipped practise sessions on race weekends in other sims but thought I'd better take the opportunity for the first race of my career in the GT3 Ruf at Silverstone. I had a new team manager to impress, after all..! The first session was in post-dawn mist with a moody sky, so the whole circuit was bathed in this sublimely ethereal light, all shades of grey, with colour accents provided by neon tail-lights and illuminated hoardings. It was incredibly atmospheric, especially with the eerie silence getting shattered by snorting engines. I loved seeing cars streaming in and out of the pits, some cars obviously on out-laps carefully warming their tyres, others driving flat out trying to set times - everybody simply going about their business. I felt like a pretender, an imposter, and it gave me an intangible nervous expectation, even fear for the upcoming qualifying sessions. It's exactly these types of emotions that I was hoping pCARS would evoke as part of the authenticity of the race weekend experience.

Wait..this was with AI cars? Sounds glorious!

Bullitus

How's the handling with a gamepad? I'm considering getting this for PS4 but Giantbomb's quicklook made the handling look super difficult with a pad. Maybe it's just Jeff?

Started a career with the 125cc karts, then got a contract for the next class of karts which I accepted.
Next thing I know I'm doing a practice session in a clio.

Is this expected or have I missed a whole class?

Mogwai

How's the handling with a gamepad? I'm considering getting this for PS4 but Giantbomb's quicklook made the handling look super difficult with a pad. Maybe it's just Jeff?

I think it works just fine with a X360 controller. I imagine it's the same with a DS4. But if you realize that it doesn't suit you, it's possible to map the buttons to your liking. Also, there are plenty of options regarding deadzones and whatnot.

SmokyDave

You're killing me dude. I'm limited to solo practice in fixed clear weather until new PC arrives. Your lyrical waxings are blue-balling me.

Bullitus

I think it works just fine with a X360 controller. I imagine it's the same with a DS4. But if you realize that it doesn't suit you, it's possible to map the buttons to your liking. Also, there are plenty of options regarding deadzones and whatnot.

Thanks! My wallet may hate me but I need this game. Now.

danowat

Banned

It's fine once you get the settings dialled in, but that can take quite some time.

martynzs

Neo Member
Was still adjusting control settings on XB1 this morning - anyone had any luck with the best settings?

Frame rate is still all over the place, even in a solo event in clear weather!

virtualS

Purchased my PC copy and waiting for it to arrive and I'm already pissed off at nvidia for screwing over AMD users. For Christ sake, the game was optimised for console. Is it that hard to take your work there, drop it in Mantle and provide AMD owners a decent experience?

Fingers crossed poor driver performance is sorted soon.

zugzug

would this be a game I can enjoy with keyboard and mouse. My PC is pretty beefy so running it well shouldn't be a problem.

patientx

would this be a game I can enjoy with keyboard and mouse. My PC is pretty beefy so running it well shouldn't be a problem.

When I looked at time trials yesterday I saw a lot of keyboard users at the top 10's on various tracks so it plays well with kb.

MANGOD

Banned
I don't know what's going on, because I can run way more than 10 AI and still have no framedrops, must be something specific to your console.
Im kinda surprised myself. I had a bug where I needed to delete and reinstall to open up the main game as I could only select quick race weekend on the main screen and thats the only race ive been able to do so far. Will try more races over the weekend

ValfarHL

I would say no. :/

This game and it's player deserves a wheel.

Played a few hours of carting yesterday, when I suddenly found myself "in the zone".
I was like completely disconnected from the rest of the world. The only thing that mattered was breaking points, turning angles, car(t) placement, throttle feathering etc. Every turn was perfect, every straight was exhilarating.
It was a god damn experience, and in 125cc carts of all things.

With all aids off, in real mode, you really have to drive really good to keep that cart on the road.

Even though I love Driveclub, it never gave me this feeling at all. Not even in the fastest hypercars.

I will love this game for a long, long time.

Mascot

Im kinda surprised myself. I had a bug where I needed to delete and reinstall to open up the main game as I could only select quick race weekend on the main screen and thats the only race ive been able to do so far. Will try more races over the weekend

It sounds like the main game is still installing or the D1P hasn't installed..?

USF

Can't find the controller configuration setting, wanna know where's the handbrake button on the DS4 -_-'

Dobsie

Really enjoying the game so far, the sounds are absolutely phenomenal from the engine sounds right down to the discreet squeak from the brakes when you lean on them hard.
Have to say though I have noticed a bit of screen tearing under what I'd have thought wouldn't be particularly demanding situations:
-California highway freeroam with just one car and clear weather settings.
-Brands hatch turn 2 on career mode with 20 Clio cups, again clear weather settings.
Theres been a few other instances which I can't remember particularly well.
Its not hindering my enjoyment of the game. Playing on ps4 BTW.

ValfarHL

I'm plaing on PC with unlocked fps and I still haven't noticed ANY tearing. my fps usually wanders between 70 and 100.

I am shocked.

Magitex

Tried to find you guys but no luck. I think the game is region locked online. There's only five or six rooms everytime i try and quick play doesn't work for me. I'm in Brazil and i know not many here have the game, so few rooms online.

It's BS, i hope there's a solution. Online should mean people from all over the globe, not just the people in my country.
You need to change your steam download region to match where you want to play, steam lobby has always been an awful system.

Near zero multiplayer games in my region of the world.

Rivitur

Banned
I might be going with the Logitech g27 unless one of you guys has a wheel that if preforming well and is cheaper?

Magitex

I might be going with the Logitech g27 unless one of you guys has a wheel that if preforming well and is cheaper?
Depending on your region, the DFGT has been very solid for me; I just bought one for Pcars specifically.
If they're similar enough in price, I don't think there's anything better than the G27 on the cheap however.

le-seb

I call bullshit on this.

Just done the same race, but with double the AI, and there are no framedrops.

Would you like me to upload a video?
Oh come on, you're acting like this game holds 60 fps tight on PS4 in any circumstances but weather/large grid.
Watch DF videos again: it's simply not the case.

And you not noticing these drops doesn't mean other people won't notice them.
Man, there are even people here who are not disturbed by the awful ghosting.

danowat

Banned
Oh come on, you're acting like this game holds 60 fps tight on PS4 in any circumstances but weather/large grid.
Watch DF videos again: it's simply not the case.

Not at all, I appreciate that, there are instances when the framerate will tank.

But saying that the game struggles on Dubai, with 10 AI, in sunny weather is flat out false.

-Amon-

Disclaimer: 1 hour of practice on the dubai track with le mans prototype, while the rest of the game was installing, on PS4, dualshock 4, every assist off, no changes to controls and deadzones.

No changes to car setup.

I'm having great problems with braking and acceleration. Steering is quite ok.

This sim is not designed around gamepads for sure. I think some form of assist is going to be needed in the long run.

I've been racing simulators for 20 years ( sigh ) on pc's with racing wheels, and on consoles GT5 & GT6 with a logitech g27, and gamepads when i was not in the mood to use the wheel.

Pcars feels much harder than GT5 with a pad, just to give you an idea.

We're talking of first impressions here, but i feel that these are not going to change in the long run.

GHG

Gold Member
Installing on steam now.

Not upgraded my GPU or purchased a wheel for this yet but still excited.

Lets see how my 660 sli setup holds up with the final game.

Top Bottom