• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

SliChillax

There's something about the game that is not making me fall in love with it. Firstly the handling, every car understeers like crazy or the steering wheel just refuses to turn properly no matter how much I adjust the controls in the settings. Second, graphics are not as nice as the screenshots that I've seen throughout the years (running maxed out) and the game has too many jaggies even at 4K downsampled to 1440p with SMAA at ultra. Third, I started my career with karting and the physics are awful here. I steer into a corner the kart understeers then suddenly when it gets air after hitting the curb, it turns instantly as if another kart crashed into it.

Momentary

Banned
I'm a kart master now.

234630_2015-05-07_00003_zpsqphhmp3o.png

Feels good.

Blizzard

Banned
After the 10-minute warmup, the only option I saw was ending the session...which immediately removed me from multiplayer. ;____;

Now the server doesn't show up so I assume I'm out of the race for good.

How do you stay in after warmup? Just don't touch anything instead of selecting the option?

nasanu

Banned
Yeah, I can't play pcars. They need to fix ffb or does anyone have good settings for a G27? because I can't drive anything without spinning out or turn well because I feel nothing.

Same here. The Karts were ok but normal cars are not playable. I consider this game broken.

Momentary

Banned
There's something about the game that is not making me fall in love with it. Firstly the handling, every car understeers like crazy or the steering wheel just refuses to turn properly no matter how much I adjust the controls in the settings. Second, graphics are not as nice as the screenshots that I've seen throughout the years (running maxed out) and the game has too many jaggies even at 4K downsampled to 1440p with SMAA at ultra. Third, I started my career with karting and the physics are awful here. I steer into a corner the kart understeers then suddenly when it gets air after hitting the curb, it turns instantly as if another kart crashed into it.

I know what you mean I have it at 1440p here with everything set to ultra and it still looks jaggy.

Helznicht

Yeah, I can't play pcars. They need to fix ffb or does anyone have good settings for a G27? because I can't drive anything without spinning out or turn well because I feel nothing.

So is this because the force is so low or because the FFB is missing some effects that should show up when your tires come loose?

For those saying the FFB is too weak, try this:

In the FFB settings set:

Tire Force to MAX value
Soft Clipping (Half Input) to MINIMUM value
Soft Clipping (Full Output) to MAX value

The soft clipping settings are at the bottom and you have to scroll down. That shoudl give some nice Force. Cant say realistic (not enough exp), but strong, I can feel the rumble strips in the wheel now.

Post feedback if that helps.

Megasoum

Banned
Same here. The Karts were ok but normal cars are not playable. I consider this game broken.

What wheel you're using again?

I just did a Super Kart championship and a couple of BAC Mono invitinational and the FFB is fucking amazing on my TX. I can feel every bumps on the track and I know immediatly when I lose grip on any of the 4 wheels.

nasanu

Banned
So is this because the force is so low or because the FFB is missing some effects that should show up when your tires come loose?

For those saying the FFB is too weak, try this:

In the FFB settings set:

Tire Force to MAX value
Soft Clipping (Half Input) to MINIMUM value
Soft Clipping (Full Output) to MAX value

The soft clipping settings are at the bottom and you have to scroll down. That shoudl give some nice Force. Cant say realistic (not enough exp), but strong, I can feel the rumble strips in the wheel now.

Post feedback if that helps.
Your missing the point. There are no effects in place, it doesn't matter what you do to the settings. You will never be able to feel the wheels lock up, or just be able to generally tell what the car is doing. In ac I can feel just through the wheel what each tyre is doing. In Pcars I have no clue.

nikos

Not at my desk atm but it was roughly dead zone for steering to zero, steering sensitivity to 25, speed sensitivity to 65 and the controller filter to 30. Will get a screenshot when I can. Ps4 btw.

Sounds great, seems similar to the settings I was using.

It's certainly not motion blur, well isn't motion blur that I've ever experienced before in any other game. The frames are very visibly doubled, overlapping all over the place by quite a large margin.

Public forum (with a few examples from GAF): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21863-Ghosting-Issue
Dev: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?21932-PlayStation-4-Image-Ghosting

I've definitely noticed it in videos but I'm not sure if it's better or worse than the motion blur option in the PC version. At least I'm able to turn the blur off on PC. Hoping the ghosting doesn't bother me too much.

Blizzard

Banned
Looks like I missed the second match in a row. I just want to drive ONCE. :'(

This time, I got frozen by alt-tabbing right as the match started, so I just hear infinite loading music. I can't alt-tab to the game, can't get to it by clicking the task bar, and can't get to it by using task manager.

Helznicht

I know what you mean I have it at 1440p here with everything set to ultra and it still looks jaggy.

If you are down sampling to 1080p, try upping the smoothing, it helps (I have mine at 50)

Res 2351 x 1323 (down to 1080p)
AA= MSAA
FXAA = Low
SMAA = Off

5IzWs2V.png

Blizzard

Banned
Quote to see Steam Group URL, we still have 4-5 in chat and lobby. *edit* Done now, though the group will stay. Anyone's welcome to join and use the chat room.

I was 4th place in the rain...but the only timed lap so I win by default. ;p

saladine1

I would love to change cockpit sounds for the exterior sounds.

Is there an ini file somewhere that I can tinker with?

Klocker

I would love to change cockpit sounds for the exterior sounds.

Is there an ini file somewhere that I can tinker with?

Damn I would love this. Otoh since I'm getting the Xbox version unlocked next week, I'm sad to hear that cockpit sounds might be too quiet

saladine1

Damn I would love this. Otoh since I'm getting the Xbox version unlocked next week, I'm sad to hear that cockpit sounds might be too quiet

Not necessarily too quiet, but I would've loved to see a setting that let you either swap exterior for interior samples or perhaps adjust the mix of exhaust to engine.

I keep going out of cockpit view just so I can hear all that exhaust note goodness..it's exhilarating!

Repo Man

I started my career with karting and the physics are awful here. I steer into a corner the kart understeers then suddenly when it gets air after hitting the curb, it turns instantly as if another kart crashed into it.

Kart's take a bit of getting used to. If you find the Kart understeering heavily in a corner, try easing off on the throttle completely and you might see the opposite happen as in the Kart will suddenly begin to oversteer. Its all about solid throttle control and timing your braking properly. As for shooting off the kerb, if both of the karts front wheels got air and you were still turning the wheels, then yeah it will change direction very rapidly upon landing since karts don't have the suspension or ground clearance a normal car does so if one front wheel gets a bit of air, the other one will usually follow.

This is at least how I perceive things to occur, perhaps someone with more real world experience and such can provide a better and potentially more accurate explanation. Long story short though... PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Klocker

Not necessarily too quiet, but I would've loved to see a setting that let you either swap exterior for interior samples or perhaps adjust the mix of exhaust to engine.

I keep going out of cockpit view just so I can hear all that exhaust note goodness..it's exhilarating!

Oh man can not wait to hear that. What happens when you just "look behind"? Does it give you exhaust sounds like some games do or just keep interior sounds?

danowat

Banned
I really wish this game would have at least some tooltips for the options in settings.

What exactly is "control filtering", what is "soft steering damping", what exactly does the controller mode do?

inner-G

Banned
Would this run halfway decent on an iMac/Boot Camp with a 3.4g i5, 8GB RAM and a 2GB 775m?

I want it, but it's a lot to pay if it's not going to be very playable

Blizzard

Banned
I really wish this game would have at least some tooltips for the options in settings.

What exactly is "control filtering", what is "soft steering damping", what exactly does the controller mode do?
Controller mode appears to switch between some premade settings.

With a wired XBox 360 controller, I found the following:

Setting 1 is basically if you like slapping the thumbstick all the way over. Big deadzone.
Setting 2 is my favorite, but you might want to tailor it more.
Setting 3 is very sensitive and will probably tire your hands out from trying not to spin out.

I just now tried turning off "soft steering damping" but I don't know what it does.

Magitex

I can't say I've driven any shifter karts in real life, but I think the majority of physics for the karts are spot on. It definitely has that fixed suspension feel and all the issues that come with it.

My ten seconds of karting fame:
http://i.imgur.com/YVitvWq.jpg

As for cornering:
Use downshifting to lock the rear wheels for some nice oversteer for hairpins. I've already blown engines in PCars using this technique, but its effective since you're not paying for it.
Plan B is slow down/drop accelerator for the corner, the karts don't understeer unless you have your foot flat on the accelerator coming into a corner.

And curbs:
Do not hit them. If your wheel happens to leave the ground (which it will in fixed suspension like a kart) and you accelerate, you're already dead. If you have to take a curb, avoid accelerating until all four wheels are on the ground.

If I had to venture a guess at what isn't realistic, I'd say that the karts might have a bit too much grip and power-on oversteer is a bit rarer than it should be.

people with 970s, what are your ideal settings? It's really annoying having to restart the game every time you make a change lol

Particularly what are your AA settings?

benzy

How is this on console (PS4 specifically)? I don't want to buy a racing wheel and was hoping to play on my TV.

Mascot has the PS4 version and says it runs pretty well outside of weather effects. My 7850 will get destroyed so I'm gonna go with this version anyway.

danowat

Banned
The PS4 version runs fine.

Outside of extreme circumstances you won't notice framerate issues.

On to other questions.

Why can I not use photomode from replays?

Why is photomode so poor?

Why can I not select a different car to view in replays?

Blizzard

Banned
My pit engineer just yelled at me about overheating brakes. :(

On the plus side, I was able to cut maybe 10 seconds off my time for the F1 submission. I'm ranking 242 which is super horrible, but at least I'm participating! I think it's cool that they're doing it on the F1 weekend.

You know what would be really nice? A faster way to restart a session, instead of requiring switching to mouse and clicking a few times, or like 6 controller motions to select and confirm restart.

dedhead54

I have yet to come across any real XB1 impressions. I still wouldn't mind picking this up for that just because of the controller, but I want to hear more about it first.

MGR

So which of the 1,000 FFB settings do if have to adjust to make it unshit?

And that claim about the frame-blending being an AA feature is utter bullshit. It's like looking at a 3D game without the glasses. Just terrible :/

How's everyone handling this game on a controller? Would it be easier to just buy a wheel?

I'm managing ok on the DS4, but it's unlike any racing game I've played, makes a lot of use of the analog buttons (Gas/brake)

leng jai

I'm not really enjoying or understanding the career mode in this. As mentioned previously the menu interface is awful and I'm not really getting much sense of progression. I've done like 4 different seasons and it feels like I've been playing the same 5 tracks over and over again.

Maybe it's just me and something I'm not getting :/

Mascot

Yep. I've never bought a game guide before but I would in a flash for pCARS. This side of things could've been much better explained.

saladine1

How's everyone handling this game on a controller? Would it be easier to just buy a wheel?

A wheel will be the best choice, so much more involving than a pad.
Having said that though, I find the controller to be quite well implemented in CARS. Feels so much more like Forza than SHIFT thank God..

I'm not really enjoying or understanding the career mode in this. As mentioned previously the menu interface is awful and I'm not really getting much sense of progression. I've done like 4 different seasons and it feels like I've been playing the same 5 tracks over and over again.

Maybe it's just me and something I'm not getting :/
If I'm honest, I kind of miss the progression or 'grind' that other games have. At the moment, it doesn't quite feel rewarding enough. I keep looking for some money after a race lol.

Hopefully, pCars 2 has a more fleshed out career where there are more incentives for going through the career.

danowat

Banned

I'm managing ok on the DS4, but it's unlike any racing game I've played, makes a lot of use of the analog buttons (Gas/brake)

It's a sim, the controls are much more nuanced that games like GT or Forza.

There are a shedload of settings to tweak, and it takes time, I am still tweaking after 7 hours of play, but I've finally got a set of controls I am happy with, I can drive most cars fine (at least in the dry) without any assists on the pad.

Another annoyance, I wish the career next race screen would tell you which track configuration was up next.

We're still in the group on PC, if anyone wants to join.

Tried to find you guys but no luck. I think the game is region locked online. There's only five or six rooms everytime i try and quick play doesn't work for me. I'm in Brazil and i know not many here have the game, so few rooms online.

It's BS, i hope there's a solution. Online should mean people from all over the globe, not just the people in my country.

Just spent an hour configuring visual settings to get 60fps with the best IQ, go to a track with rain, fps drops to 30 LOL.

damn. this is going to take a while.

Mascot

Mascot has the PS4 version and says it runs pretty well outside of weather effects.
In my experience, it absolutely does.
I wish people would state the circumstances instead of just incoherently ranting about 'bad'. I've only raced GT cars so far, so can't comment on open wheelers or karts. I use cockpit view or bonnet cam. I've raced with max grids in all ToD and weather, but generally avoid rain (not for performance reasons, I just don't like the lower grip).
The 'ghosting' doesn't bother me. I hardly notice it, but it is there.
Game looks and performs superbly on PS4 in my limited experience. Not absolutely perfectly, but pretty damn close.

YMMV.

Sky Chief

Holy fucking shit, just did my first cart race on the DK2. Wow, wow, wow amazing and even though the lack of menu support is mindboggling the game runs great and is super smooth. The best part is the elevation changes, you don't really notice them on TV but with the Oculus it's really pronounced.

I can't wait to do the Laguna Seca corkscrew especially because now I live just a few miles away from the real thing.

Just spent an hour configuring visual settings to get 60fps with the best IQ, go to a track with rain, fps drops to 30 LOL.

damn. this is going to take a while.

What's your PC specs? I ended up going PS4 despite having a decent PC ( well a couple a years ago it was). I'm happy with the peformance though.

Top Bottom