• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Helznicht

With all aids off, in real mode, you really have to drive really good to keep that cart on the road.

In real mode, aids are dependent on the car, so some may be on depending on the vehicle. turning them off manually in custom is the hardest setting, but not real-istic.

ValfarHL

In real mode, aids are dependent on the car, so some may be on depending on the vehicle. turning them off manually in custom is the hardest setting, but not real-istic.

So real mode, with all aids on is the most real-istic, cause it then depends on the car what actually is activated?

But, but Stig always turns off everything.

danowat

Banned
Just raced at Brands for the first time and noticed tearing coming out of the pits and in a couple of places around the track. It rained on the second lap and the FR did suffer in places as well.

Yes, I've heard that Brands has some really bad tearing when you are going round Paddock Hill Bend.

I'm going to pick this up today for the bone, I'm so excited I friggen love racing sims, just how real does it get with all of the aids turned off? It's how I usually play forza.

Metfanant

I'm going to pick this up today for the bone, I'm so excited I friggen love racing sims, just how real does it get with all of the aids turned off? It's how I usually play forza.

depends on what you mean by "real" considering a lot of the cars included in the game have aids in "real" life...

danowat

Banned

With some of the more powerful cars, like the 98T or the Lykan,running with no aids is brutal, and that's in the dry, in the wet, it's next to impossible!!!!

Lego Boss

Just installed. Trying to juggle working from home, my wife and my daughter so I can have a quick blast before going away for the weekend.

Looks good so far though (XB1), just signed up for Kart One

Helznicht

So real mode, with all aids on is the most real-istic, cause it then depends on the car what actually is activated?

Real mode actually LOCKS some of the aids, so you cant change them, the game does it automatically depending on the car..... All others should be off.

Snubbers

Overall, I'm rather enjoying this game, just as I love all racing games!

Obviously like all games, it's not without it's niggles

1. When swamped in a field of noisy cars, I can't hear my engine at all, and there isn't enough granularity in audio options to tailor the audio how I like it
2. The career mode seems weird, I am stuck in karting, so I assume once I'm in a series, I'm stuck until I've completed it
3. The FFB is on the mediocre side, I definitely think the better FFB implementations are those that layer effects in the FFB that make up for the lack of real physical feedback, such as tyre slip etc, this game has a similar profile to GT5 IMO, although it definitely isn't rubbish, it could do with some real tweaking.
4. The default controller settings are some of the worst I've experience, most games have done a good job at getting close to something usable out the box, but I've had to extensively tweak stuff to make it feel OK, and the lack of abililty to quick change settings from an in-race menu is annoying
5. The AI is rather simplistic at times, I would say there is definitely an air of following a pre-programmed line, I was on 100% AI karting and the lead driver takes the same non-defensive line time and time again making him so easy to get by. But I'd temper it and say that the AI is actually really good in terms of making you feel challenged and in the hustle and bustle of a large pack of cars.
6. The HUD isn't that configurable, and certainly not intuitive in editing it, I think it's more the manual is rubbish and you have no explanation of most menu's that's indepth or up to date (there are settings pages with text that doesnt' quite cover all the options).
7. The time trial online event has no ghosts, and I can't even see any ghost for myself, something I kind of need to really learn a circuit.

The really good things so far (in the 2 hours of playing it)
1. Generaly sound effects/engine audio is great
2. The feeling of 'racing' is really good
3. The graphics (GTX970 @ 1080p) so far have been superb, lots of small effects like heat haze, and light reflections that make it very immersive
4. The camera options/choices are very good, albeit I would love more options for helmet cam, as it's got the annoying blur thing going on (might be an option somewhere)

I think I'll slowly get over most of the niggles, some are just my misunderstanding no doubt, some are just not completed features that you never know, might get improved.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Started a career right at the beginning in the 125cc Karts and after awhile I had a few invites, one being an M1 race at Spa (which I came 5th after qualifying 15th and not realising it would be 3 laps) and the second invite is a Caterham race. Man the Caterham handles like a bloody dinghy and most of the setting for the suspension are locked, only camber and toe seem to be adjustable. :-(

I know some cars feel a bit poxy atm but like NFS Shift, some fine tuning tweaks made to the handling and the game will really shine. Just waiting for some Sim sites to have some listed.

Third, I started my career with karting and the physics are awful here. I steer into a corner the kart understeers then suddenly when it gets air after hitting the curb, it turns instantly as if another kart crashed into it.

I found that too at first, but after persevering I found backing off the throttle and reapplying really works well.

Ha true! I'm split between the T3PA pedals and the T3PA-PRO, is the pro model really worth the extra £60?

I'll be picking up the TM 28 wheel when that's back in stock too.

The only benifit is the ability to invert the pedals, they both have the conical brake mod. I have used the t3pa pedals for 8 months and they are a HUGE upgrade over the stock pedals.

Is the TCS-setting (not as in "on/off" but as in "set to x%") in real mode set in a way that would be representative of that car in let's say the "sports"-mode of said car? Or is it just "this prototype doesn't have TCS because regulations forbid it in that racing league, but this Mercedes SLS road car does have all the aids, so they are said to 'on' in real-mode"?

Because car-dependent TCS and computer controlled suspension/eDif settings (multiple ones if possible) are what I always wanted out of GT and Forza.

EDIT: Btw, in some modern production cars the TCS and ESC isn't completely off, even when set to "off".

Azzawon

The only benifit is the ability to invert the pedals, they both have the conical brake mod. I have used the t3pa pedals for 8 months and they are a HUGE upgrade over the stock pedals.

Ah fair enough! This is the only real thing that matters to me. Are there any problems with the build quality with the standard T3PA pedals being made mainly of plastic?

ciccione

Anyone can confirm that is not possible to activate sensor movement steer with PS4 joypad? It seems me incredible that they did'nt implemented it.

Tc91

This fps issue is so annoying.

It's not a particle issue as I've set it to off/low and it's still there when I go offtrack.

Anyone got any ideas?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Thanks mate, menu is kinda confusing

The worst bit I found was overriding already mapped buttons and not assigning old ones like "Look Behind" and then not being able to back out because "Some buttons are not assigned" and not being able to progress. Took me ages to find the default button to try again.

luiztfc

Guys, one question. Back when this was still in development, I remember that you didn't simply buy the 'early access' version of the game, you did in fact invest in the game and could expect monetary return (profit). what happened with that?

I bought the full member version back then and although I wasn't expecting to receive any money, I'm curious.

Dilly

Banned
Guys, one question. Back when this was still in development, I remember that you didn't simply buy the 'early access' version of the game, you did in fact invest in the game and could expect monetary return (profit). what happened with that?

I bought the full member version back then and although I wasn't expecting to receive any money, I'm curious.

Make sure to link up your PayPal account with your WMD account, money should be coming in this september. Since that's when SMS will receive their royalties.

Mascot

Quick straw poll: ignoring the performance issues it can introduce, does anyone actually enjoy racing in the wet? I'm finding it to be a bit of a pain in the ass in career races, to be honest. I'm never sure whether to pit for wets or intermediates, or whether pitting is even necessary. Some advice from the engineer along the lines of "light rain, shouldn't last more than a lap or two, stay out there on your slicks but take it steady" or "box box box for full wets, heavy rain is forecast for the rest of the race" would be useful. It seems a bit hit-and-miss at the moment. Plus, I don't think the rain effects look particularly good on console. If I could I'd disable them completely, I think.

Quick straw poll: ignoring the performance issues it can introduce, does anyone actually enjoy racing in the wet? I'm finding it to be a bit of a pain in the ass in career races, to be honest. I'm never sure whether to pit for wets or intermediates, or whether pitting is even necessary. Some advice from the engineer along the lines of "light rain, shouldn't last more than a lap or two, stay out there on your slicks but take it steady" or "box box box for full wets, heavy rain is forecast for the rest of the race" would be useful. It seems a bit hit-and-miss at the moment. Plus, I don't think the rain effects look particularly good on console. If I could I'd disable them completely, I think.

What's your opinion on the game itself, I've loved DC on the PS4 but really want something more circuit/career based, so I'm assuming that will scratch that itch, I'm not expecting comparable graphics or performance as long as it's not too bad.

MaLDo

Playing with perfect framerate it's really fun and a whole difference experience than dry racing because you have to drive in a different way. But I can understand how not perfect framerate would affect the precision you need to enjoy it. So maybe the problem is that you can not ignore performance issues if they affect the needed accuracy to make fun those "sliding" overtakes.

fresquito

Rain is a blast.

It takes time to get used to it, though. But the panic of not knowing what you should do is awesome. The thing is: you should go with your gut feeling, never enter the pits unless you're losing grip or you need to do something different to those in front of you. Just like the real thing.

I agree the engie should give more tips, but this iss how the engie works: You mute him, you have a better race.

danowat

Banned

Personally, no, it's a bit too stressful and I find the AI is a bit OP in the wet.

How does the "tyre compound automatic" work?, does it pick the best type of tyre based on the forecast conditions?

fresquito

Personally, no, it's a bit too stressful and I find the AI is a bit OP in the wet.

How does the "tyre compound automatic" work?, does it pick the best type of tyre based on the forecast conditions?
It's supposed to do it. I advice to have one pit strategy ready for each compound, though.

Scottify

I was wondering, have any of y'all on PC messed with the templates and created any custom liveries yet? If so, how was the template to work with? I'd love to see some pics too.

SarBear

Rain has been hit or miss for me. It definitely takes some planning on those high speed sweepers, and having to break really early on hairpins is a must. I'm on PC with nearly everything on ultra except shadows and grass (GTX 980, 5820k at 4.4ghz, 16gb ram) and everything looks and runs stellar. I think the lowest i've seen the FPS is around 65fps and that was with quite a few bots on screen and thunderstorm settings. It's an absolutely gorgeous game, however, I'm going to have to finally buckle down and learn how to tune. Plain and simple. Braking took far too long for me to figure out (used to using 140% brake pressure in Forza 5), but now I've got the hang of it.

Rain races just seem more of a grind when they actually come up. But it's an interesting challenge and change of pace from the normal.

danowat

Banned
It's supposed to do it. I advice to have one pit strategy ready for each compound, though.

I find it a bit tough to decide on what tyres to use, I did a career race, and it said "light rain", so I think, do I stick wets on?, or do I leave it?, I've no idea, there is no forecast for how long the rain is going to last, or how heavy it will be.

I've done races where the rain barely lasts a whole lap..........and then the track immediately (in seconds) dries!

Ardenyal

Anyone know if it's possible to assign functions to a keyboard on PS4?

Keyboard seems to work in the menus and ingame you can enter pause menu (esc), pause without menu (p) and take screenshots (prt scrn).

When trying to bind a key I get "multiple inputs detected, no function assigned". I'm wondering if it's my keyboard that's at fault or is the full support coming in a future patch..

fresquito

I find it a bit tough to decide on what tyres to use, I did a career race, and it said "light rain", so I think, do I stick wets on?, or do I leave it?, I've no idea, there is no forecast for how long the rain is going to last, or how heavy it will be.

I've done races where the rain barely lasts a whole lap..........and then the track immediately (in seconds) dries!
I agree there's a lack of info. But it is also true that rain in real life also has a kind of random thing. Drivers usually don't pit unless they feel they're losing grip. If you're losing grip in one lap after it has started raining, then it's probaby gonna be Rain or Heavy Rain. If you lose grip slowly, then it's probably Light Rain.

So, my advice is: Put your everything on the feel and not on the sky.

Edit: I can't speak about the career setup, since I haven't played that, but usually every weather slot lasts 55 mins at normal speed, except for Random, that can last longer or shorter. I don't know at what speed the Career or your QR were set to, so I can't comment on that.

Mascot

My pit strategies, like my button assignment for my wheel, don't see to save properly.

Is there a user guide for all the detailed options and variables in the game?

Mascot

Yep, sums up my experience too. I've also started races with a weather spec of 'light cloud' (or whatever it is) only to have it utterly piss down after one lap. I'd have started on wets if it was predicted as a wet race.

Oh well, that's weather I suppose - totally unpredictable!

Edit: Oops! Deep DP'd.

danowat

Banned
I agree there's a lack of info. But it is also true that rain in real life also has a kind of random thing. Drivers usually don't pit unless they feel they're losing grip. If you're losing grip in one lap after it has started raining, then it's probaby gonna be Rain or Heavy Rain. If you lose grip slowly, then it's probably Light Rain.

So, my advice is: Put your everything on the feel and not on the sky.

Edit: I can't speak about the career setup, since I haven't played that, but usually every weather slot lasts 55 mins at normal speed, except for Random, that can last longer or shorter. I don't know at what speed the Career or your QR were set to, so I can't comment on that.

But even so, in real life you can judge how long, and how hard, rain will be, you might judge it wrong of course, but it's a start, I feel a bit "blind" in Pcars in regards to weather, and dare I say slicks are a bit too good in the wet.........

My pit strategies, like my button assignment for my wheel, don't see to save properly.

There is a digital manual, but it's brief, and doesn't go into any depth.

fresquito

I don't know about saving things. It works fine on my PC. Can't comment on any issues related to the PS4.

Not that I know of. We members are walking encyclopedias, though. Ask your question and I'll try to help xD

fresquito

But even so, in real life you can judge how long, and how hard, rain will be, you might judge it wrong of course, but it's a start, I feel a bit "blind" in Pcars in regards to weather, and dare I say slicks are a bit too good in the wet........
Yeah, that's why I tell you how long weather sslots last. But Career is a mistery to me. I only do MPs with my Club.

About slick, don't get too much confident about them. It's really dependant on the car. There're some misconceptions about tire wear and tire "goodness" under different conditions based on F1 information. If you're running a GT car, rain will punish you, but not as much as a Formulaa car, for istance.

Sorry for the DP.

Mascot

Mmm... it's just occurred to me - maybe my Fanatec GT2 doesn't show up properly in the control menu (and doesn't allow the FFB adjustment on that particular screen) because it needs a firmware update.

Anyone have any info on this?

Tc91

Nope, game still stutters quite badly at times when I go off track. Running at 1080p with MSAA and everything aside from reflections on ultra.

I found something on the forums they suggested turning force feedback to 0% if you're using a controller, I went off into the gravel and there was 0 drops. Only tested it once as qualifying was coming to an end and then it was time for the race but maybe it fixed it.

Also the render frame setting to 2.

danowat

Banned
Yeah, that's why I tell you how long weather sslots last. But Career is a mistery to me. I only do MPs with my Club.

About slick, don't get too mucch confident about them. It's really dependant on the car. There're some misconceptions about tire wear and tire "goodness" under different conditionss based on F1 information. If you're running a GT car, rain will punish you, but not as much as a Formulaa car, for istance.

Sure, no worries, I am talking primarily about career races, which I have a feeling are canned in terms of weather, but I'd have to check to be certain..........

flashmouth

Neo Member
Any chance on 60fps @ 1080p with my machine?

i5 3570k
16gb ram
amd 270x 2gb

don't care for eyecandy so much, but I wouldn't enjoy it with a fluctuating framerate at rain.

Top Bottom