• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Getting second never felt so good. Started 8th, made a great start and gain positions and was going to make a run at 1st but decided finishing clean was a smarter choice.

-Amon-

Thrustmaster wheels have terrible reviews from buyers because of reliability and terrible customer service since they are located in italy I think.

"Since they are located in Italy"

Really?

Bad customer service because they are in one country instead of another?

Clever statement here, congrats.

Orca

"Since they are located in Italy"

Really?

Bad customer service because they are in one country instead of another?

Clever statement here, congrats.

He probably means it's not convenient hours to call, shipping takes forever, etc...

Or just take it to mean he's bashing Italy...seems legit.

MilkyJoe

PS4 imposter fix check-in from early March (Since you're a community member you could have easily looked up this up yourself..... )

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...hanges&p=851878&highlight=imposter#post851878

And screenshot I just made from XB1

cPzcC7f.png

Any chance at all you can just tell people how to turn on brake light reflection on console, right here? Cause I'm telling you after day one patch there are no reflections. Thanks.

xrnzaaas

I encountered a pretty annoying thing involving pitting yesterday. So I had a race with a mandatory pitstop and two of the AI cars decided to make their only pitstop on the last lap which is obviously forbidden in any type of motorsport events. Since this was a close race I dropped from 1st to 3rd. :/ I have no idea how people @ SMS didn't notice that during betatesting (it happened in Oulton Park in case someone's interested). I'm scared that this issue will be even more visible in endurance races and that it'll influence the outcome of the race.

Magitex

I encountered a pretty annoying thing involving pitting yesterday. So I had a race with a mandatory pitstop and two of the AI cars decided to make their only pitstop on the last lap which is obviously forbidden in any type of motorsport events. Since this was a close race I dropped from 1st to 3rd. :/ I have no idea how people @ SMS didn't notice that during betatesting (it happened in Oulton Park in case someone's interested). I'm scared that this issue will be even more visible in endurance races and that it'll influence the outcome of the race.

Just wait until you see the autopit ram you into a wall for the rest of the race..

Moozo

There is also an issue with AI leaving the pits during the last seconds of qualifying when it's impossible for them to get around and post a time. The end result being if you're starting a last-gasp hot lap then they just come out of the pits and block you.

Mascot

Spent about an hour playing with the controller and really hating the feel. Feels like a twitchy mess.

I have a fanatec wheel that is apparently supported on the PS4 version but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the game to recognize the wheel. I have to be missing something obvious.

Power the wheel up and put it in PC mode, not PS3 mode.
Start your PS4 and load pCARS using the DS4.
After the splash screens, when prompted to hit 'X' to start, press the 'X' button (or its equivalent) on your wheel.
Use the wheel to navigate the menus and play the game.

Note, there are currently some issues. SMS and Fanatec are meeting this week to seek a resolution and update the game with a fix:

Your wheel, no matter what model, will probably get recognised as a Porsche 911 Turbo wheel.
Despite this, the game currently treats it as a controller, so the full suite of calibration and FFB tuning options are not available.
The clutch is currently gimped.
Button remapping is not saved.
Some other stuff I can't remember.

All of these issues are known and a patch is being prepared.

See this thread http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21978-Fanatec-Wheel-support

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Haha, my biggest nemesis also.

Tried to race karts on a proper circuit and as soon as I shift to 6th my engine blows up. Presume that the karts default set up isn't built for such aggressive shifting so may try and tweak that.

I had that problem in the early races, especially going over a little dip or hump in the road till I learnt to button off the gas briefly.

-Amon-

Or just take it to mean he's bashing Italy...seems legit.

Legit for a moron, maybe.

However.

Some other guy in this thread suggested to entirely skip karts and start the career from the lowest formulas.

No better advice could be given to someone who wants to play the career mode.
ally bee
I started the career from karts and stopped just after winning all 125 kart championships. It's umbeareable. I can't even imagine to continue and do all the big karts races.

Karts really feel like an afterthought in this game, no fun at all, and kart circuits are for the most part not that interesting.

Skip that shit, you'll feel better.

Gen X

I've spent 4 hours dialing in the FFB so far and still am not quite happy, but I'm getting close.

There is a good racing game here though. I am sure I will be playing this for a long time if they fix the control/UI/glitch issues that exist currently. The physics/sound/A.I. all seem pretty good.

I got my setup completed the other day with the T3PA-Pro pedals:

0zQvEskk.jpg

You need to turn the steering wheel off for that authentic look and experience. ;-)

No amount of glitches, bugs, unintelligible menus, or occasionally lousy performance on the XB1 can take away from this game's underlying greatness. It feels like a spiritual successor to the TOCA games from back in the day. The sports-car racing dweeb in me laments the apparent lack of timed endurance races and a proper multi-class (read: prototypes alongside GTs) format, but as an overall package, pCARS is hard to fault.

Mascot

No amount of glitches, bugs, unintelligible menus, or occasionally lousy performance on the XB1 can take away from this game's underlying greatness. It feels like a spiritual successor to the TOCA games from back in the day. The sports-car racing dweeb in me laments the apparent lack of timed endurance races and a proper multi-class (read: prototypes alongside GTs) format, but as an overall package, pCARS is hard to fault.

My man.

Considering the many, many niggles, performance issues, bugs, quirks, silly UI and baffling design decisions in pCARS it's amazing that this game gives me such a mile-wide grin every time I play it. It's the game Shift could have been five years ago before EA started jamming their shitty sticks into the mix and fucking up the physics. Perhaps its faults are deliberate to stop me exploding with pleasure every time I strap myself in? Loving it. Loving it.

*brofist*

danowat

Banned
Zolder has some bugs.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysC-s27caos

Also, can some else test something.

Load up a race, career or quick weekend, start practice, let the time run down and note the AI times, now exit out, reload and instead of letting the time run down, use maximum time acceleration and compare AI laptimes.

I want to know if others experience of this is the same as mine........

Mascot

Getting second never felt so good. Started 8th, made a great start and gain positions and was going to make a run at 1st but decided finishing clean was a smarter choice.

Placing nowhere never felt so good. All of my non-career single-player racing involves starting at the back of a large grid and trying to cleanly climb maybe five places during a ten-lap race. Podiums are for poseurs - being in the middle of a pack is where the real fun is..!

And just how awesome is it to start at dawn in the fog and progress through all manner of different cloud cover, finally ending the race in clear skies at sunset? Very awesome is the answer.

Dan and Kaz should forget about precipitation for FM6 and GT7 (and I'm sure they probably already have) and just concentrate on global illumination and meteorological effects.

It would be good to be able to start on a wet track in the sunshine though (like after a summer cloudburst), but I really don't care for any rain effects at all. They are far too expensive.

danowat

Banned
Placing nowhere never felt so good. All of my non-career single-player racing involves starting at the back of a large grid and trying to cleanly climb maybe five places during a ten-lap race. Podiums are for poseurs - being in the middle of a pack is where the real fun is..!

One of the biggest difference between PCars and FM/GT is that you don't, and shouldn't, be clamoring to get into P1 on the first corner, and that's great, it's "proper" racing.

DryvBy

I put in a few hours last night and the thing that stood out is that while it doesn't have the best graphics, it has the best audio I've ever heard in a car game. My living room was shaking in the Mustang Boss during idle with my system up.

Great job, audio team!

I absolutely love this game and agree with the above comments about being happy with keeping it on the road for a decent result instead of going all-out for first. I started career mode in Formula Rookie and spent the first two races trying risky moves, and throwing away podium finishes by being too aggressive and spinning.

Restarted the career, and concentrated harder on clean, fair racing and making sure I don't hit the AI and I'm having an incredible time. I think the AI is fantastic.

PS4 players please add: marcainley

Azzawon

I've just left the Le Mans 24h race to go to work and put the AI in my place. The idiot has just crashed and smashed the headlights at night! Thank god it'll be light when I'm back hahaha

http://www.twitch.tv/azzawon

Taking some interesting lines that I would struggle to manage without spinning, too...

ValfarHL

One of the biggest difference between PCars and FM/GT is that you don't, and shouldn't, be clamoring to get into P1 on the first corner, and that's great, it's "proper" racing.

Hell yeah! The career mode gives me real incentive to learn, and to some degree, perfect a certain car and track. The first 10 practice minutes in new cars on tracks I don't know is a damn mess. Slowly figuring out optimal breaking points, acceleration points, and max speed and throttle feathering in complex corners to methodically shave time of my laps is suuch a good feeling.
I even find myself pressing my back against the seat on hard acceleration out of corners, haha.

I'm at work right now, the sun is shining, I have tomorrow off. I have a great girlfriend, and all I wanna do is to go home and drive this fucking game.

I'm in love.

farmerboy

Just quietly, whoever thought it was a good idea to invalidate 2 laps at once when you go off the track can go fall off a cliff.

Loving all these positive comments! As a backer who's been playing for three years you start to wonder when reading some of the negativity floating around if you've actually gone mad, glad others are finding the same reasons as me to love it!

The good news is its only going to get better too as the little annoyances get patched out etc.!

danowat

Banned
There has been a lot of talk about the career system, and how it doesn't offer progression or incentive, I am "sort of" role playing the career at the moment, this is a little post I made on the official PCars forum, thought I'd stick it here to show that you can get a sense of progression and incentive with a little bit of imagination........

After a good showing in the National Karting series finishing first, and an overall win in the world championship Karting series, at the end of the season racing teams were clamoring to get the young driver to appear in their cars.

To keep his feet on the ground he has taken up an invitational series in the Caterham Classics in the UK, and at the weekends is jetting off to Europe to drive in the Historical M1 Procar series.

First event in the Caterhams didn't go too well, after qualifying first on the grid, the pressure got the better of him, and he struggled to keep the car tight, and ended up finishing 5th, he wasn't happy and nearly broke his foot kicking the huge Winnebago he was staying it.

He didn't let this get to him, and after a dodgy qualification at Spa in the M1 Procar series, he quickly lept to 4th in the first lap, and managed to take the win after a battle with the top driver on the last lap.

All the press and fan interest is changing him!, wonder which way he'll go when invites for season two come along.....

tl;dr, Career system is great!

Mascot

Loving all these positive comments! As a backer who's been playing for three years you start to wonder when reading some of the negativity floating around if you've actually gone mad, glad others are finding the same reasons as me to love it!

The good news is its only going to get better too as the little annoyances get patched out etc.!

Yep. No doubt the game wasn't quite ready for release yet (it's a shame SMS named a revised release date instead of keeping it rolling until it was 100% ready) but I'm treating it like early access. It's good to learn that problems are getting identified, acknowledged and worked on.

Once more for newcomers, a great source of info and updates: the public part of the official forums.

Fonds

Could somebody explain to me, step by step, how to view leaderboard times for specific cars and tracks on the PS4.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to find it. Somebody said there should be an option to do this.
Closest I'm getting is selecting a track and car class in Time Trial mode... but then these still can't be filtered down to specific cars.

danowat

Banned
Could somebody explain to me, step by step, how to view leaderboard times for specific cars and tracks on the PS4.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to find it. Somebody said there should be an option to do this.
Closest I'm getting is selecting a track and car class in Time Trial mode... but then these still can't be filtered down to specific cars.

You can't.

I'm playing PS4 version with Amateur driver level setting.

Started with the Karts in career and I think they are great. They do an excellent job of teaching the basic fundamentals of track racing. The only reason I could see people complain is if they smash the gas all race, which is just poor driving technique.

saladine1

Zolder has some bugs.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysC-s27caos

Also, can some else test something.

Load up a race, career or quick weekend, start practice, let the time run down and note the AI times, now exit out, reload and instead of letting the time run down, use maximum time acceleration and compare AI laptimes.

I want to know if others experience of this is the same as mine........

WTF lol

There has been a lot of talk about the career system, and how it doesn't offer progression or incentive, I am "sort of" role playing the career at the moment, this is a little post I made on the official PCars forum, thought I'd stick it here to show that you can get a sense of progression and incentive with a little bit of imagination........

I've come to love the "zero to hero" career. Starting from the bottom and working my way up suits me well. The fact that I have time to stick to one car and learn its ins and outs on a variety of courses is such a rewarding experience. Throwing in some invitationals and such into the mix to alleviate any monotony that might occur is genius.

In contrast, Forza throws cars at me left,right and centre causing me to keep changing cars and not sticking to any one in particular.

So, to sum up:

pCars is like a marriage
Forza is like a one night stand

God bless you all.

Gen X

Does anyone know if there is a 24hr Le Mans race in the career?

I put in a few hours last night and the thing that stood out is that while it doesn't have the best graphics, it has the best audio I've ever heard in a car game. My living room was shaking in the Mustang Boss during idle with my system up.

Great job, audio team!

This is what I've been bitching about with GT and Forza for years. Authentic audio? Who gives a rats, make the audio sound exciting like there's a thousand wild cats under the bonnet screaming to get out.

Try the GT5 class and pick the Ford Capri. Oh my gawd, the sound is to die for as your motor screams at redline.

Azzawon

Once you've changed to AI, how do you call him back in the change back again?

You have to be around when he comes back into the pits so you can select 'Swap Driver' before pulling into the pit space. I think that should let you take over again :)

Hah this is amazing, that driver's got some superman vision though.
Is your driver a cat? Hahahah

Lmao! Whatever he is, he's more consistent than me :p

Top Bottom