• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Metfanant

any word from SMS about those of us peasants in the US that waited on the PSN Digital version being able to get the modified car pack, as we were originally told?

Thrustmaster wants $136 for a new power supply!?...WHAT!?

for anyone that runs into this problem, the power supply can be sourced from third parties for much less (like less than half) than Thrustmaster wants you to pay for it...i ordered one last night for $60 (after shipping)...hopefully it arrives soon...now im glad i started my career in karts so that hopefully by the time i suffer through karts with the controller, ill have my wheel back when i get into actual cars...

Thrustmaster wheels have terrible reviews from buyers because of reliability and terrible customer service since they are located in italy I think.

He probably means it's not convenient hours to call, shipping takes forever, etc...

Or just take it to mean he's bashing Italy...seems legit.

well, for the record, the email I was sent says that the replacement part has to come from France...not Italy. I think any customer service issues they might have stem from the fact that

1. The lady I spoke too had a wild accent that was even more difficult than normal to understand
2. She informed me that there were literally 2 (two!) people working the phones for support, and that is why I would need to wait till the end of the business day to get the email with directions on how to replace my power supply

ALSO, another question...does anyone know if you can "downgrade" your career path?...for instance...say I wanted to make my way from karts to LMP1 and get the Zero to Hero done...but then I wanted to settle into my "career" as a GT3 driver?...Will GT3 teams still offer me contracts after i pass that tier?

RawNuts

Yep. People forget that consistently winning races is not an authentic motorsport experience for the vast majority of competitors. Games like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport (with their reward-based progression) have brainwashed gamers into thinking winning is the only thing that matters, and often to the detriment of the entire experience. I've no doubt there are swathes of people playing pCARS who are quitting on the last lap and restarting because they're not leading the race, or racing with much weaker AI than is appropriate for their skills so that victory is assured.

These people are completely, entirely missing the whole point of Project CARS.
But... but... if you're not first...

tumblr_nnyikhDVlK1utktfxo4_500.gif

ValfarHL

Thanks! I might do a few more of these in different cars throughout career mode. I can't believe it's still dark in this race, it must have been pitch black for a good 8 or 9 hours at least by now...

But isn't it against the rules to drive without lights at Le Mans? Pff, get outta here with this arcade Shit!
/jk

Azzawon

But isn't it against the rules to drive without lights at Le Mans? Pff, get outta here with this arcade Shit!
/jk

Hahaha! Is there a way of repairing stuff like headlights during a pitstop? It would be very handy for races like this if so!

ValfarHL

Hahaha! Is there a way of repairing stuff like headlights during a pitstop? It would be very handy for races like this if so!

The list of what you want to repair in pitstops is extensive, but I can't remember if headlights were on it.

I feel pretty confident in saying yes.

Dragoshi1

So I bought the game for PS4 on a whim yesterday after trading in a bunch of stuff I beat, as it had just released and I don't own any racing games.

I find it difficult so far, and I'm playing on Novice. I tried the Formula racing and the gokarting, and I feel as if I never have total control over my vehicle on turns. And in gokarting in particular, if you even so much as tap the back of another racer, I wind up on top of them(as in my wheels are in their skull), and then I get shot off and spin out off to the side.

Is there a trick to playing, or something? The best I can do is 8th to 11th place in both of those kinds of races, as most of the time on a turn I still going careening off track into a wall.

danowat

Banned
So I bought the game for PS4 on a whim yesterday after trading in a bunch of stuff I beat, as it had just released and I don't own any racing games.

I find it difficult so far, and I'm playing on Novice. I tried the Formula racing and the gokarting, and I feel as if I never have total control over my vehicle on turns. And in gokarting in particular, if you even so much as tap the back of another racer, I wind up on top of them(as in my wheels are in their skull), and then I get shot off and spin out off to the side.

Is there a trick to playing, or something? The best I can do is 8th to 11th place in both of those kinds of races, as most of the time on a turn I still going careening off track into a wall.

Karts are very different, you don't drive them like other cars, in fact, most of the classes drive very differently.

For a class that is a beginners class, the Karts are actually very hard to drive, only tip I would give is, be gentle on all the controls, and use momentum instead of braking and accelerating to corner.

I would suggest a much better beginners class is the Ginetta Juniors.

Mascot

Project CARS is a complicated sim. Are you using assists? Driving appropriately?It is not an arcade game so needs 'finessing' a lot more. Give this a read: http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics

dedhead54

Yep. People forget that consistently winning races is not an authentic motorsport experience for the vast majority of competitors. Games like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport (with their reward-based progression) have brainwashed gamers into thinking winning is the only thing that matters, and often to the detriment of the entire experience. I've no doubt there are swathes of people playing pCARS who are quitting on the last lap and restarting because they're not leading the race, or racing with much weaker AI than is appropriate for their skills so that victory is assured.

After doing a handful of championships I have come to the realization that it is time to bump the AI slider up. Its gotten to the point where I qualify first and then win by at least a second in every race. Going to go up to 65, from 50, and see what that does.

Spookie

I would suggest a much better beginners class is the Ginetta Juniors.

If you get FFB sorted out these are very easy to drive and good at providing feedback when you fucked up.

The Cilos are also good fun but FWD so aren't like the rest of the GT cars you'll end up driving.

ValfarHL

After doing a handful of championships I have come to the realization that it is time to bump the AI slider up. Its gotten to the point where I qualify first and then win by at least a second in every race. Going to go up to 65, from 50, and see what that does.

I am now running it at 80 with all aids but antilock brakes off. It's a pain in the ass, at times. :p

danowat

Banned
I am now running it at 80 with all aids but antilock brakes off. It's a pain in the ass, at times. :p

I run 80, and in most classes, I can win relatively easily, bumped it too 90 and it's a bit too much at the moment, especially in the classes (Caterham) I struggle with.

Wish I could put it too 85.........

fresquito

I would suggest you starting with GT cars, although the Clio is a bit tricky to ride, bumps and battles are way more fund than in open wheelers for a begineer.

One piece of advice though: People usually think that braking late is better. Usually it's not. You want to take most turns with good grip and that's made by adjusting your braking point to a place that allows you to do the turn with the car totally under control. Late braking helps in overtaking, but not in driving.

On the dificulty: I wish the game was actually hard. AI @ 100 and I drive 1-2 seconds faster than they do. Not that I'm an alien or anything. I'm just an above average driver with no setup knowledge.

Finally think I have the FFB dialed in, but I'm a little disappointed in the lack of rumble when driving over rumble strips.

Starting out my career in karts was kind of a crazy jump from the cars I was testing out while getting my wheel settings down. But I still won without to much effort, probably going to have to bump the ai all the way up.

Project CARS is a complicated sim. Are you using assists? Driving appropriately?It is not an arcade game so needs 'finessing' a lot more. Give this a read: http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics

This game is beautiful, and granted I have not played it yet, but reading that makes it sound really not fun. I sold Driveclub because I couldn't control it for shit.

Give me Ridge Racer over this any day. Boot up the game and drive fast. *runs away*

Spookie

Finally think I have the FFB dialed in, but I'm a little disappointed in the lack of rumble when driving over rumble strips.

That'll depend on the track. I know some don't have 3D kerbs, so to speak, so you won't feel it. There doesn't appear to be a canned effect you can turn on.

One piece of advice though: People usually think that braking late is better. Usually it's not. You want to take most turns with good grip and that's made by adjusting your braking point to a place that allows you to do the turn with the car totally under control. Late braking helps in overtaking, but not in driving.

There is also a good chance you'll put too much weight on the front of the car which means the turn in will be awful making it feel like trying to turn a cruise ship in a storm.

Smoother is faster yada-yada etc.

This game is beautiful, and granted I have not played it yet, but reading that makes it sound really not fun. I sold Driveclub because I couldn't control it for shit.

Give me Ridge Racer over this any day. Boot up the game and drive fast. *runs away*

I'll say the same thing to you I do to people who turn away Dota 2: sim racing has a skill floor you need to climb to get in to it. Once you're in the skill ceiling is endless though, you'll be held back only then by your level of skill.

Helznicht

My wheel rumbles over the strips. On PC using the tweaker files that were being passed around from the pcars forums, so I know there is a setting that affects it (cause I didnt feel them before I started messing with the FFB settings either)

Mascot

Don't be scared - all that stuff is going on in the background for the sake of authenticity.

But yeah, if you found Driveclub too hard then pCARS probably won't be for you..!

ValfarHL

I would suggest you starting with GT cars, althout the Clio is a bit tricky to ride, bumps and battles are way more gund than in open wheelers for a begineer.

On the dificulty: I wish the game was actually hard. AI @ 100 and I drive 1-2 seconds faster than they do. Not that I'm an alien or anything. I'm just an above average driver with no setup knowledge.

Tried turning off aids?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm getting frequent crashes while loading a track on x1. The loading icon still moves and the tips at the bottom cycle, but the loading never ends, forcing a reboot. Is this common or a known issue?

dedhead54

Good god I just received a lesson in how unforgiving contact in the Formula (rookie) cars is. I didn't place first in qualifying for the first time ever, so I am starting in the 9th position on Sakitto. I cannot get to the front of the pack without accidently making contact with someone, or in one case they made serious contact with me on the second to last turn of the last lap and sent me flying in to the wall, suffering critical damage to the suspension.

Ah yep.

Do you happen to know at which point during the career the AI comes up to full strength?

I think I'm going to have to abandon quali altogether, so I can start towards the back and try and make a race of it. In the F Rookies at least, I'm 3 secs quicker in Q and long gone after lap 1. There's zero fun in that.

Starting out my career in karts was kind of a crazy jump from the cars I was testing out while getting my wheel settings down. But I still won without to much effort, probably going to have to bump the ai all the way up.

Have you tried "activating" the SoP settings in the second tab of the car's FFB settings? Can make the corner forces feel like forza if you want that.

Also: I haven't tried that, but boosting "Fz" (a little under Master Spindle in the car's FFB settings) should make you feel the bumps and surface irregularaties more. And the Road America kerbs are supposed to be the bumpiest btw.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

My only problem is the challenge feels different each class. Atm I am in the second month of Season 2 racing in a GT5 Cup and just finished a M1 Euro (? You can select cars from BMW, Mitsi Lancer Evolution, Ford Focus etc) and in the previous season I did the 125cc Kart, Caterham and and BMW M1 Cups.

I set the difficulty to 70% (I'm on Pro setting, using the DS4, manaul, no aids, cockpit view) and I blitzed the Karting, BMW M1 and M1 Euro Cups coming first in almpst every race but the Caterham and GT5 Cups are challenging as hell. Caterham I think I won one race and lucky if any other was on the podium, sometimes qualifying in the lower 25% whilst the GT5 I'm lucky if I don't start in the last 4.

Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge and consider myself quite good at racing games (I've been playing racers since 1979 and they're my fav genre) and can hold my own on the track especially with a full wheel, shifter and clutch set up but this just feels inconsistant. The only time I restart is if I really botch it up on the first lap and my races are set to 6 with the pad, If I had a wheel I'd probably increase it to the max. Aside from that I'll take any position except last and will restart if I am.

But that said damn does it feel rewarding. :=D

One of the biggest difference between PCars and FM/GT is that you don't, and shouldn't, be clamoring to get into P1 on the first corner, and that's great, it's "proper" racing.

In some cases that still happens. I don't know why, but the AI doesn't know how to start. If i skip qualify i'm always overtaking five or six cars on the start and then another three or four on the first turn by just driving on the outside whereas the AI is all jammed up battling for positions.

I agree with Fresquito that the game could be harder. They should have some 110-120 difficulty for some classes. I won some races with the superkarts by 20-30 seconds, this on 7-8 lap races.

In other series 70-80% puts up a very good fight.

---------

For those struggling with the shifter karts, increase the steering ratio by like, a lot. Then use a soft suspension if you're going to crazy Glencairn. I swear 50% of all the problems people are having with karts would not have happened if they hadn't created Glencairn. Making a track with bumps and jumps for karts is not a good idea. In every other proper kartdome they are a lot more tame.

---------------

Any news on the Indy 500 DLC? The race is in less than two weeks... it would be a shame to release this after the race...

Dave_6

I'm not a member of their official forums, but has there been any mention of 'true' multi class racing being patched in? I was disappointed to see that I can't race GT cars with LMP cars.

Mascot

Hahaha. I play with Real Aids ;)

I'm here for the simulation. Still, th AI is damn slow. I know fast people that can be 5 seconds faster than the are.

I'm sure this has been discussed on the WMD forums - are there any plans to increase the scope of AI difficulty? Or is it even possible?

DryvBy

After trying the replay feature in helmet view, I noticed my PS4 fans kicked on hardcore after a minute. Anyone else experience this?

NoWayOut

Just got it on PSN yesterday. First impressions are positive, but I will need to practice alot. Considering that I always played arcade type of games (Grid, NFS, etc) and that I'm using a DS4 (wheel is out of the question for now), what type of cars should I start with? GT? Small street cars like Clio?

Mascot

Just got it on PSN yesterday. First impressions are positive, but I will need to practice alot. Considering that I always played arcade type of games (Grid, NFS, etc) and that I'm using a DS4 (wheel is out of the question for now), what type of cars should I start with? GT? Small street cars like Clio?

Ginetta G40s are a good start. Not too fast. Good grip.

Pick a wide circuit like Silverstone too..?

Avoid the karts.

Anyone want to share their career progression?

I decided to skip karts (has a IRL experience in a shifter, couldn't run for a couple days and my ribcage felt like I was punched there) and go to Formula B. Now I am racing an old Escort racecar and Mecedes 190 racecars. I hope I can get into the historic F1 cars.

iratA

Anyone playing on PS4 have this lock up on them yet? Had my first error during a long race session on the other night. Grrrr need to restart the event, it better not lock up again.

Full car list, including Alpha, beta and WIP cars

*snip*

• 2009 Aston Martin DBR1-2 - Work Started
• 2014 Audi R18 e-tron quattro - Alpha
• 2002 Audi R8 LMP900 - Alpha
• 2003 Bentley Speed 8 LMGTP - Alpha
• 1999 BMW V12 LMR - Beta
• 2013 Aston Martin Vantage GTE - Work Started
• 1997 McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - Alpha
• 1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM - Beta

The folks at SMS sure know how to pick 'em. I'm especially looking forward to the R18 e-tron and it's sci-fi flywheel soundtrack.

I decided to skip karts (has a IRL experience in a shifter, couldn't run for a couple days and my ribcage felt like I was punched there) and go to Formula B. Now I am racing an old Escort racecar and Mecedes 190 racecars. I hope I can get into the historic F1 cars.

I started out in the Clio Cup, but didn't quite like the feel, so I switched to Formula Rookie and am sure glad I did. Next, I'll probably tackle the Ginettas before moving on through the GT ranks and into the prototypes. Formula racing usually isn't my thing, but the FA in pCARS feels unbelievable and I'm eager to work my way up to it in another career.

Fox Mulder

You ever get told "pit in on this lap" only to be the only one to pit-in for the entire race? Has that happened to anyone else?

I did, but I also had my fuel set very low and can't recall if I was close to running out.

Wonder if it's a bug now that you mention it.

Azzawon

I started right at the bottom in the 125cc Shifter Karts so I could go for the 'Zero to Hero' achievement. I wanted to experience all the cars too, but man, those karts are difficult to drive!
Nothing like real life at least, and I speak from A LOT of experience

I've just reached the end of Season 2, and after the Superkarts and off-season invitationals I'm taking part in my first Le Mans 24h.

Lettuce

I wondered about that for a short moment too, but then noticed that in "invitationals" I don't have a "team". Whenever I entered an event for the the team I'm under contract for, I had the pit guy talking to me. I'm playing on Xbox One btw.

But surely you always have a pit team for every race??, so you should hear from them all the time?

danowat

Banned
It bemuses me, that a game who's graphical fidelity was hyped pre release by literally thousands of screenshots, would have such a terribly poor photomode.

Top Bottom