• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

GHG

Gold Member
Is there a way to tell if your pit slot is occupied by another driver?

Far too often I've gone in to pit only to be forced to go straight through because it's not free.

Sky Chief

This game is really fun on DK2 with a FFB wheel.

However, a couple complaints:

Seriously, you couldn't get the fucking menus working in VR!? Why do I have to constantly be turning my DK2 on and off. Why not at least give me a little more time after I start the race to turn on my DK2 and put it on and make sure it is comfortable?

They could really improve the voice communication. Sometimes the guy on the radio comes on during a race and says "you're leading by X seconds". During practice and qualifying this guy NEEDS to talk to me minimum every lap because otherwise I have no fucking clue how I'm doing in VR.

The game is really fun just unfinished.

I set the difficulty to 70% (I'm on Pro setting, using the DS4, manaul, no aids, cockpit view) and I blitzed the Karting, BMW M1 and M1 Euro Cups coming first in almpst every race but the Caterham and GT5 Cups are challenging as hell. Caterham I think I won one race and lucky if any other was on the podium, sometimes qualifying in the lower 25% whilst the GT5 I'm lucky if I don't start in the last 4.

Same here, just was handed down in the Caterham Seven Classic on 70%. Seems like you don't have any power or top-speed advantage on 70% difficulty in that car anymore and the AI follows the (pretty slow) driving-line perfectly. Rain races give difficulty (compared to race-AI) spikes too.

Takes you out of that "it's about racing(!) and not being first to get more money to advance faster to better cars"-thing if suddenly you're doing so much worse than before.

Well, it's bitching on a high level I guess. Still a lot better than how GT6 or DC handled AI-difficulty and with the qualifying and race-length options also more fun than FM5's "start last, 3 laps"-races. And the AI's aggression level feels the most human out of all racing games I've played so far.

EDIT:
Is there a way to tell if your pit slot is occupied by another driver?

Far too often I've gone in to pit only to be forced to go straight through because it's not free.
Haven't tried this, but in the control options it's possible to assign a button to "request pitstop". Maybe the pit guy then would tell you when to come in??

MJLord

Yep. People forget that consistently winning races is not an authentic motorsport experience for the vast majority of competitors. Games like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport (with their reward-based progression) have brainwashed gamers into thinking winning is the only thing that matters, and often to the detriment of the entire experience. I've no doubt there are swathes of people playing pCARS who are quitting on the last lap and restarting because they're not leading the race, or racing with much weaker AI than is appropriate for their skills so that victory is assured.

These people are completely, entirely missing the whole point of Project CARS.

I just had a ten lap race at Silverstone drop from 20 people to 6 during the course of the race, the only people leaving were the race leaders. It was really disappointing to see.

fresquito

I just finished my first career race (double). It was Clio Cup. The first round was not a challenge. 16 laps of me going alone after qualifying 1st. Second round I started too 1st, but I jump started. It was a fun race. I finished 5th, not too far from the 1st. I could have won if some jerk didn't send me to the sand in a corner. All in all, a better experience than the first race.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I got 3ish hours in last night. Spent a bunch of time fiddling with the force feedback settings, using the Inside Sim Racing video and some other sources as a starting point.

I'm mostly happy with it now, though the steering is still way stiffer on my T300 compared to DriveClub. But I've gotten mostly used to it.

I started career in the 125cc karts. Struggled at first, then put the FFB settings back to their defaults (rather than the baseline I got using a Lancer) and made minor tweaks and then did much better. I'm not great at racing games, so I've had difficulty at 40-50 so far and will up tick it when/if I get better and start winning more often/by too much. So far I finished first overall in a 3 race kart series, and then did a little practice in an invitational event in a Ruf that's pretty hard to control. Plan to jump back to that and do some tweaking when I get done with work in a bit.

I'm playing on Pro, with the Aids set to real. Only other main setting I turned off was engine failure, as I don't want to deal with watching the engine heat etc. I set overall forcefeedback to 85 (too stiff for me any higher), the master scale around 32-36, the tz, ty, tx etc. are in the 30-54 range so far, and I turned off all the smoothing as suggested, and bumped up some of the SOP things to .10 to get some more rear end feedback.

You ever get told "pit in on this lap" only to be the only one to pit-in for the entire race? Has that happened to anyone else?
On a few occasions I've been told to pit halfway through lap one while racing around Brands Hatch. I've only set a five lap race in mitsu evo.

Linius

How are you guys doing on the Clio challenge community thing? Didn't got further than 53:846 so far.

I mostly struggle with the very first corner and the one coming after the hairpin. Really trying to push the car in the corners but that usually ends up in failure :p

Oh and when I'm doing invitational events with three lap races I always get the sign to get into the pit right after the first lap. Guess I have to dig into my pit strategy to fix that.

Klocker

I posted my impressions of the audio and also some suggestions over at the Project Cars forum.

To have the option of exterior samples in the cockpit or a slider or two for engine/exhaust mix because those exterior sounds are absolutely mind blowing!

Also asked for adjustments to AI/player vehicle volume because at the moment I simply find it extremely hard to hear my car even when other cars are pretty far away from me.

Stephen Baysted, the Audio Director at SMS 'liked' my post which could be indication that those suggestions are hopefully implemented in the future..

Yes perfect.. I know they have other priorities at the moment but here's hoping they listen to you

v0mitg0d

Have the game on PS4 and am dying to see the weather effects. I tried loading up a few solo tracks but it's always sunny.

How do I weather in Project Cars GAF?

Jamesways

Have the game on PS4 and am dying to see the weather effects. I tried loading up a few solo tracks but it's always sunny.

How do I weather in Project Cars GAF?

In the race settings, hit the R1 I believe to bring it to the other screen. Change the weather from Fixed, pick your number of slots, and pick the weather for each.

It's awesome.

Now, I have a question, anyone know if you move your seat forward or back if it only applies to that particular car? Or does it carry to other cars?

I'm thinking just the one, but want to ask if anyone knows off the top of their head.
Helmet cam is maxed at FOV 85, would like to move it back on the RUF.

I love screaming f1 cars, but the lmp cars are so sexy. Designed to be so efficient that engine noise is seen as wasteful.

Oh, definitely. I've long been of the opinion that Audi's turbodiesels make everything else seem crude and outdated. We're a decade into their reign, and the sound they make is, to me, every bit as iconic as any flat-12 or 4-rotor of yore.

The best part is that the "sounds like a jet" cliche is absolutely true.

The first game that I have absolutely nothing bad to say about in years.

It is also the first ps4 game that I have played that made me happy that it was on this system and not just on the last one.

v0mitg0d

In the race settings, hit the R1 I believe to bring it to the other screen. Change the weather from Fixed, pick your number of slots, and pick the weather for each.

It's awesome.

Now, I have a question, anyone know if you move your seat forward or back if it only applies to that particular car? Or does it carry to other cars?

I'm thinking just the one, but want to ask if anyone knows off the top of their head.
Helmet cam is maxed at FOV 85, would like to move it back on the RUF.

THANK you! :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Y
It is also the first ps4 game that I have played that made me happy that it was on this system and not just on the last one.
No sound glitches as you pass cars? No loading crashes? No weird flickering textures or clouds? No necessary out of the box tweaking to controller settings? No tearing, frame rate drops? No issues navigating menus? No ai shinanigans? No physics strangeness?

Lucky.

fresquito

How are you guys doing on the Clio challenge community thing? Didn't got further than 53:846 so far.

I mostly struggle with the very first corner and the one coming after the hairpin. Really trying to push the car in the corners but that usually ends up in failure :p

Oh and when I'm doing invitational events with three lap races I always get the sign to get into the pit right after the first lap. Guess I have to dig into my pit strategy to fix that.
I skip community challenges unless they offer a price for taking part in them. The shortcut system is shit in most tracks. I was surprised to be 6 seconds slower at the Monza challenge with the Procar. I loaded a ghost, saw it skipping the first corner altogether and refused to play any more.

I find patethic all these so called sim racers that will take any shortcut they find just to have a faster time. If you want to do that, play Mario kart, not a sim. Still, it's not their fault, but SMS' for implementing a shitty system that allows such things to happen.

I have this weird issue that my car sometimes turns off.

Overall this game is really clicking with me now. Just won an insane online F1 race on the Ring with a ton of fog.

Fox Mulder

it has all kinds of little issues, the UI alone feels beta as shit. I hope they can patch better performance out of the xb1 too, framerate dips a bit too much.

The racing is still great through everything though.

Linius

I skip community challenges unless they offer a price for taking part in them. The shortcut system is shit in most tracks. I was surprised to be 6 seconds slower at the Monza challenge with the Procar. I loaded a ghost, saw it skipping the first corner altogether and refused to play any more.

I find patethic all these so called sim racers that will take any shortcut they find just to have a faster time. If you want to do that, play Mario kart, not a sim. Still, it's not their fault, but SMS' for implementing a shitty system that allows such things to happen.

Hm, had no idea about that. I thought going off track always disqualified your time. Everytime I make a mistake it does for me at least :(

Oh well, still fun to compete with friends a bit knowing they don't cheat.

I'm very on the fence between Pcars, and assetto corsa. I have a few questions, how's FFB, and physics between the two games? I guess I'd like an opinion from someone who's played both back to back.

Finally, I'm coming from rFactor, and I'm primarily looking for a game to drift in. I was a huge fan of SP Mod, will there be mod support in Pcars?

Just tried it after I read your post: 52.616
Differential was setup terribly for that challenge, try changing that ;)

Orca

This game is really fun on DK2 with a FFB wheel.

However, a couple complaints:

Seriously, you couldn't get the fucking menus working in VR!? Why do I have to constantly be turning my DK2 on and off. Why not at least give me a little more time after I start the race to turn on my DK2 and put it on and make sure it is comfortable?

They could really improve the voice communication. Sometimes the guy on the radio comes on during a race and says "you're leading by X seconds". During practice and qualifying this guy NEEDS to talk to me minimum every lap because otherwise I have no fucking clue how I'm doing in VR.

The game is really fun just unfinished.

If you want a clue why it doesn't work well with the DK2, maybe look up what DK means :p

If you want it working perfectly with an unreleased product it might be your expectations that need adjusting.

That has me lol'ing. No mod support because modders can't produce the same quality that devs can, portion of the game gets outsourced to mod team to build. Bummer there's no mod support though.

Is it true that there's already rumblings of work on a Pcars 2? If that's true, that's a bit disconcerting.

I'm playing career mode and I got two invites to race for another team, but I don't see any way to accept the invitations. What's the deal? (I'm still on karts.)

Edit: I guess because I'm still in a championship for another team?

I'm very on the fence between Pcars, and assetto corsa. I have a few questions, how's FFB, and physics between the two games? I guess I'd like an opinion from someone who's played both back to back.

Finally, I'm coming from rFactor, and I'm primarily looking for a game to drift in. I was a huge fan of SP Mod, will there be mod support in Pcars?

I have played both of them back to back this week, but I am not an expert sim racer in any way, so I can only give my basic feedback.

AC is much more difficult than PC. Is it also the more realistic game? Hard to say. AC definitely has better FFB out of the box. I had to set up my G27 using a guide to make it good for PC.

Overall I am liking PC a lot and I think it has a place along with the other sims. It looks much better than AC, but feels less hardcore overall. PC's online mode is also much more "plug and play", I like that. Some cars in PC feel just right (Ariel Atom is amazing for example) while others are weird (RUF Rgt). I will definitely keep playing both games, but PC is the new shiny toy for now.

Don't ask me about drifting, I suck at it. Both games are competent at it I think, AC for sure.

Oh, if there's one thing that AC is bad at, it's sense of speed. PC wins that easily.

Dilly

Banned
I'm playing career mode and I got two invites to race for another team, but I don't see any way to accept the invitations. What's the deal? (I'm still on karts.)

Edit: I guess because I'm still in a championship for another team?

When the time comes, the event will just appear in your calendar as the current event of the day. You can choose to participate or not by skipping it if you wish.

fresquito

Hm, had no idea about that. I thought going off track always disqualified your time. Everytime I make a mistake it does for me at least :(

Oh well, still fun to compete with friends a bit knowing they don't cheat.
Offroad is well done in most cases. Asphalt not so much.

Jamesways

fresquito, do you happen to know if moving the seat in a car is universal (affects every car you get in) or just for that particular car?

Just curious, will test out tonight, just asking first.

I told myself to get more knowlegde on tuning, very lacking in that department. What settings would you suggest?

I'm not an expert either, but the slip-differential acceleration setting was set by default to 100%.

[Sorry, in advance, if you already know what a limited slip differential is and feel treated like a child, but just in case and because I'm studying to be a teacher ;)]
Think of a RWD car. If both tires were connected to the same axle, both tires would always have the same rotational speed and you wouldn't be able turn unless full traction is broken, because the outer tire in a corner travels a longer way. A differential makes it possible for both tires to travel at different speeds while splitting the torque from the driveshaft - the tire traveling the longer way gets less torque, the one traveling on the inside of a corner gets more torque than in straight-line driving. Under extrem conditions (like drifting, uneven roads, lift-off) this proves really problematic though. That's why most cars have a limited slip differential (edit: not most, and it's more eDiffs these days) that prevents these extrem splits that can make you spin out by preventing too different rotational speeds of the tires.
Let's look at the Clio Cup's default setting in PCARS (100% acceleration). This - in theory(that's where I'm not an expert) - would mean that both tires always have to have the same speed of rotation and you couldn't corner at all (not entirely true because of caster and lsd-torque-slip and whatnot settings). Set it lower and you can corner more easily. The default diff-deceleration setting of the clio was only 20%, which is more normal, but make it a little higher and braking into that first brands hatch corner is a lot easier.

If you didn't know all that already and want to know more about tuning, you should think more of dynamic weight transfer under braking and acceleration and how to get the right amount of grip at the right time. ...and look up anti-roll bars ("swaybars").

Linius

30 laps around Sonoma on the weekend and a hot lap around Spa.

https://youtu.be/Ofjh8YEljnE

https://youtu.be/XV8OaatViZA

Lovely driving. Audi gloves in a BMW, living on the edge. Also, the game didn't seem to mind you went off the track here and there during your Spa lap.

I'm not an expert either, but the slip-differential acceleration setting was set by default to 100%.

[Sorry, in advance, if you already know what a limited slip differential is and feel treated like a child, but just in case and because I'm studying to be a teacher ;)]
Think of a RWD car. If both tires were connected to the same axle, both tires would always have the same rotational speed and you wouldn't be able turn unless full traction is broken, because the outer tire in a corner travels a longer way. A differential makes it possible for both tires to travel at different speeds while splitting the torque from the driveshaft - the tire traveling the longer way gets less torque, the one traveling on the inside of a corner gets more torque than in straight-line driving. Under extrem conditions (like drifting, uneven roads, lift-off) this proves really problematic though. That's why most cars have a limited slip differential (edit: not most, and it's more eDiffs these days) that prevents these extrem splits that can make you spin out by preventing too different rotational speeds of the tires.
Let's look at the Clio Cup's default setting in PCARS (100% acceleration). This - in theory(that's where I'm not an expert) - would mean that both tires always have to have the same speed of rotation and you couldn't corner at all (not entirely true because of caster and lsd-torque-slip and whatnot settings). Set it lower and you can corner more easily. The default diff-deceleration setting of the clio was only 20%, which is more normal, but make it a little higher and braking into that first brands hatch corner is a lot easier.

If you didn't know all that already and want to know more about tuning, you should think more of dynamic weight transfer under braking and acceleration and how to get the right amount of grip at the right time. ...and look up anti-roll bars ("swaybars").

Thanks, this was helpful. Have to admit what also makes it harder is that English isn't my native language. And all those technical terms are a bit hard to understand at first. Luckily I also find a Youtube channel with some guy doing a series on tuning, and he's pretty good at explaining things. This channel right here might also help out other people in this thread: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQOO_tq33R8701MNka1hcmQ

fresquito

fresquito, do you happen to know if moving the seat in a car is universal (affects every car you get in) or just for that particular car?

Just curious, will test out tonight, just asking first.
I¡m not positive 100%, but I think just the car, unless what you do is changing the FOV.

Jamesways

I¡m not positive 100%, but I think just the car, unless what you do is changing the FOV.
The FOV for helmet maxes at 85, so I'll try moving the seat a bit for the Audi GT car. Will report back if it affects others.

Also will give more impressions later, but so far in the few hours I've played, I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I've experienced no major bugs yet, it's taken a while to iron out the controller settings and find my way around the UI, but the racing is sublime.

It's everything I hoped it would be racing wise. I know there are issues, but I couldn't be happier so far.

I completely echo Mascot's thoughts, this game is pretty much racing bliss.

brentech

FemaleLividCrustacean.gif

:dead

Sky Chief

If you want a clue why it doesn't work well with the DK2, maybe look up what DK means :p

If you want it working perfectly with an unreleased product it might be your expectations that need adjusting.

Yeah, okay whatever. Maybe they should adjust the way they advertise the game then.

Sipheren

Banned
Awesome driving.

Lovely driving. Audi gloves in a BMW, living on the edge. Also, the game didn't seem to mind you went off the track here and there during your Spa lap.

Cheers.

Yeah, it seems fairly lenient with that, any closer on the hill at the start and it does void he lap. The parts at the back wouldn't have really effected the time but the hill at the start definitely gives an advantage. They might fix that up in an update.

On PS4 dualshock I'm using the settings below (posted earlier) and very happy. Only addition is turning on steering assist too...at least for now. Try that with the Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe DTM on Nordschliefe and let me know what you think....

u7DV6ibm.jpg

Okay this is definitely helping me out, still a long long way to go until I get the full hang of racing on the dualshock4. Also, I am noticing during replay, both my car and AI cars are moving in a laggy manner, you know like player teleport type lag you see in first person shooters online. Also the choosing the starting point in the main menu of the career, when trying to select the starting point, the info pop appears jittery. Going in and out of options and menu is laggy too.

oRuin

I'm taking part In a community event, do some laps and am happy with my lap time. Exit the event and try to find myself on the event leaderboard and it tells me I have not set a lap time. Strange. Am I that slow? :(

Brake early, real early. I'm at 51'6xx, but i can't seem to make the car any better. Everything i change makes the car slower.

Damn, i did not knew about shortcuts in Monza. I had busted a good amount of laps to get into the 48's and i thought there was no way to do 44's and 45's with that car. This explains a lot.

Also, they have to learn to set up the events better. You can't allow the assists in such events. The real settings should always be on. To be competitive with the Procar, for instance, you have to use ABS. Considering it was a car designed to run without it, it's cheating. Community events and time trial should have mandatory real settings on every car.

I can't believe they've botched that.

It's fun to run old formula cars around Nurburgring and compare your time with friends and stuff, but it's horrible to find out that people are racing 60's cars with ABS, TCS and ASM on.

Top Bottom