• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Couple of quick questions:

1.) I'm playing right now on PC with the Xbox 360 controller. I've seen several different set-up suggestions for the XB1 and 360 controllers, but is there one that's preferred or works best?

2.) Are there any controls on PC for zooming in and out on replays so I can take some screenshots that aren't from a far distance or first-person? I have been trying to figure that out for some time.

fresquito

The FOV for helmet maxes at 85, so I'll try moving the seat a bit for the Audi GT car. Will report back if it affects others.

Also will give more impressions later, but so far in the few hours I've played, I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I've experienced no major bugs yet, it's taken a while to iron out the controller settings and find my way around the UI, but the racing is sublime.

It's everything I hoped it would be racing wise. I know there are issues, but I couldn't be happier so far.

I completely echo Mascot's thoughts, this game is pretty much racing bliss.
If you're on PC, you can increase and decrease FOV with the brackets.

Damn, i did not knew about shortcuts in Monza. I had busted a good amount of laps to get into the 48's and i thought there was no way to do 44's and 45's with that car. This explains a lot.

Also, they have to learn to set up the events better. You can't allow the assists in such events. The real settings should always be on. To be competitive with the Procar, for instance, you have to use ABS. Considering it was a car designed to run without it, it's cheating. Community events and time trial should have mandatory real settings on every car.

I can't believe they've botched that.

It's fun to run old formula cars around Nurburgring and compare your time with friends and stuff, but it's horrible to find out that people are racing 60's cars with ABS, TCS and ASM on.
I fully agree with you here. We have been telling SMS all this time: At least give us a way to filter people without real assists. Nothing. I was very clear about how bad the TT screen was. I never use it, I always use this: http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard

Not only it is way faster, but it also provides basic info that should have been included in the game.

SMS has done a really poor job with the UI and HUD in every possible way. It's like they don't want to show the wear of the tyres in the HUD, but then you you use an app and there it is. They don't want to have a calculator for how much fuel you used in a lap, but the app tells you if you want. The HUD doesn't tell you if there's wind, but the app does. It doesn't make any sense. That's info that the game is providing to external apps, but not to the in game HUD.

Even though we've been telling how bad the UI and HUD was, they never paid attention. They just changed cosmetics. It was painfull seeing how so many basic things were not included. Like the spotter, that now that the game is released and people complain the say they will add it through the engie. Notthing that wasn't suggested a bazillion times through development.

Don't take me wrong, WMD has been a fantastic tool and a very interesting experience and I have learned a lot about development, but some devs were simply more open to make full use out of it, why others had a strng vision of what they wanted to do and mostly ignored any external input. Turns out that those that paid more attention to what WMD had to say have been greatly praised by customers, while most complaints come from the work done by those more closed to their own ideas.

Let's hope they learn the leason for the second game.

Linius

FemaleLividCrustacean.gif

:dead

I just rage quit on this very track. The Dubai cup before was a piece of cake, won both races with 10+ seconds to spare. I was thinking about upping the difficulty a bit. But then this track came and my kart responds like shit. And once you've hit the grass just a tiny bit you're off and everyone drives past you to be never seen again. I'll try again tomorrow :p

Yep, i changed my mind a little bit. My initial post about the Karts was complementing, comparing to real life and such but... no, it's a little off. They need to work on it. Too twitchy. The 125 shifter kart is the hardest vehicle i've driven in this game. Shouldn't be like this.

brentech

I just rage quit on this very track. The Dubai cup before was a piece of cake, won both races with 10+ seconds to spare. I was thinking about upping the difficulty a bit. But then this track came and my kart responds like shit. And once you've hit the grass just a tiny bit you're off and everyone drives past you to be never seen again. I'll try again tomorrow :p
Luckily that was practice or qualifying after I had already got a leading time.

I recorded the race. Didn't realize I had to manually up the length of races. Figured it was because its still early career.
Karts really do bounce around a lot on that track. Really had to keep it off the edges and even slow down when topping a hill to keep it from wobbling.

https://youtu.be/1djsIvdc4v4

Linius

Luckily that was practice or qualifying after I had already got a leading time.

I recorded the race. Didn't realize I had to manually up the length of races. Figured it was because its still early career.
Karts really do bounce around a lot on that track. Really had to keep it off the edges and even slow down when topping a hill to keep it from wobbling.

https://youtu.be/1djsIvdc4v4

Yeah, that race you recorded is 5 laps for me. I managed to get a third place in the first race. Saving the sprint race for tomorrow to save some frustration.

Hedrush

So I'm in a 16 car formula rookie race over 7 laps. I was 10th on the grid but fell 5 places to 15th. I was on the 4th lap and got nudged off the track by the opponent behind me. So I decide to just hit pause and skip to the end of the session. On doing so I find I've miraculously finished 1st with a time of 9 minutes 48 seconds, well ahead of the rest of the pack who finished 13 minutes later on 24 minutes +

Games completely broke, I'm out. What's my chances of getting my money refunded from PSN. I like the game when it works, which let's be honest is not very often. I can't be bothered with it anymore, it's just too frustrating.

Edit: just to clarify, by frustrating I mean all the different bugs I've encountered not the actual gameplay itself. They are really spoiling my enjoyment of the game.

http://youtu.be/hyeiCBucYAc

Jibbed

Karts pro-tip: avoid the kerbs on every track, they fuck you up.

Just the way they are unfortunately, they behave like tiny cars in this game rather than actual karts and don't scale well to the same bumps in the circuits. They need a complete re-work in the next game with their own individual physics.

Linius

So I'm in a 16 car formula rookie race over 7 laps. I was 10th on the grid but fell 5 places to 15th. I was on the 4th lap and got nudged off the track by the opponent behind me. So I decide to just hit pause and skip to the end of the session. On doing so I find I've miraculously finished 1st with a time of 9 minutes 48 seconds, well ahead of the rest of the pack who finished 13 minutes later on 24 minutes +

Games completely broke, I'm out. What's my chances of getting my money refunded from PSN. I like the game when it works, which let's be honest is not very often. I can't be bothered with it anymore, it's just too frustrating.

http://youtu.be/hyeiCBucYAc

That's a weird bug.

Strangest thing I've come across so far is restarting the community event Clio cup session and finding the car besides the track.

Hedrush

That's a weird bug.

Strangest thing I've come across so far is restarting the community event Clio cup session and finding the car besides the track.

I've not experienced that one myself. Everyone seems to be experiencing all different kinds of bugs. The list must be huge by now.

I have to say I've been disappointed with the game graphically (PS4); it's not bad, but after so many years of Gran Turismo the lack of polish and technical proficiency here is really jarring.

What I will say is that the handling model is bliss, and the cars sound like sex. Those two things make this game a keeper for me :)

blado

Tried a GT4 & GT5 race with the mustang, and I could not go around a turn without losing control at all. I've noticed that all GTX cars are the hardest for me to control with an xbox 360 pad by far. Any tips for these such as a specific controller configuration?

nib95

Banned
Updated my settings a tad, just to give me a bit more steering angle and stopping power compared to the last. If you prefer slightly heavier or slower steering, just put Speed Sensitivity back up to 65.

Control configuration.

Steering deadzone - 15
Steering sensitivity - 20
Throttle deadzone - 5
Throttle sensitivity - 30
Brake deadzone - 5
Brake sensitivity - 30
Clutch deadzone - 10
Clutch sensitivity - 45
Speed sensitivity - 50
Controller filtering sensitivity - 30
Force Feedback - 100
Controller input mode - 3
Advanced - Off

Field of view.

Hood camera - 70
Cockpit camera - 77
Helmet camera - 70

Movement.

High speed shake - on
World movement - 100
G-force effect - 50
Show helmet - no
Helmet depth of field - no
Helmet look to apex - 0
Helmet leaning - 0
Camera leaning - 0

Extra.

Steering assist - off
Braking assist - off
Traction control - off
Stability control - off

nikos

Anyone up for some kart racing on PS4?

Pretty disappointed that there are no online time trials for karts. They're currently my favorite class.

nikos

Updated my settings a tad, just to give me a bit more steering angle and stopping power compared to the last.

Control configuration.

Steering deadzone - 15
Throttle deadzone - 5
Brake deadzone - 5
Brake sensitivity - 30
Clutch deadzone - 10
Clutch sensitivity - 45
Speed sensitivity - 50
Force Feedback - 100
Advanced - Off

Field of view.

Hood camera - 70
Cockpit camera - 77
Helmet camera - 70

Movement.

High speed shake - on
World movement - 100
G-force effect - 50
Show helmet - no
Helmet look to apex - 0
Helmet leaning - 0
Camera leaning - 0

Extra.

Steering assist - off
Braking assist - off
Traction control - off
Stability control - off

Thanks for sharing. I like your old settings (slightly modified) so much that I'm afraid to change them, but I'll try these out as well.

AristoCat

On PS4 dualshock I'm using the settings below (posted earlier) and very happy. Only addition is turning on steering assist too...at least for now. Try that with the Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe DTM on Nordschliefe and let me know what you think....

u7DV6ibm.jpg

Tried those. It works okay with every modern GT cars, but that's awful with classics and road cars, switched back to regular mode 3 and steering deadzone at 20. Feels way better in every case, at least for me.

Overall I feel that the game is designed for wheels, and pad gameplay is there just to be there.
For me it's Shift 2 all over again, great game that no matter how hard I try, I am not able to enjoy fully because pad gameplay.

lordxar

So what kind of general car tunings are good? I know jack shit about tuning so I'm hoping somebody has a few things that are good to set the cars at to improve them a little from their defaults if that can be done without massive trial and error.

nikos

Out of curiosity what teeaks did you make to them?

Double checked and it looks like I ended up keeping them the same, other than controller filtering which was at 25.

Just tried your new settings in a 250cc kart and they feel great. Testing more vehicles now.

Thanks again for posting, you pretty much saved the game for me.

Skyzard

Banned
Updated my settings a tad, just to give me a bit more steering angle and stopping power compared to the last.

Control configuration.

Steering deadzone - 15
Throttle deadzone - 5
Brake deadzone - 5
Brake sensitivity - 30
Clutch deadzone - 10
Clutch sensitivity - 45
Speed sensitivity - 50
Force Feedback - 100
Advanced - Off

Those are close to mine, I tweaked mine while driving karts mostly, did you do yours for cars?

Actually, here's mine, mostly done with carts, f1 on an x1 pad:

Fox Mulder

Tried those. It works okay with every modern GT cars, but that's awful with classics and road cars, switched back to regular mode 3 and steering deadzone at 20. Feels way better in every case, at least for me.

Overall I feel that the game is designed for wheels, and pad gameplay is there just to be there.
For me it's Shift 2 all over again, great game that no matter how hard I try, I am not able to enjoy fully because pad gameplay.

A general console controller just doesn't have the input sensitivity a wheel has and makes everything twitchy. Wish we had niche racing specific controllers like the old days.

I think there was a rumor of MS making new pro controllers for fps and racing for E3 or something, not too long to see if it was true.

I'm gonna get a wheel anyways since I'm gonna play the hell out of horizon 2, f1 2015, pcars, and forza 6 for awhile.

nib95

Banned
Those are close to mine, I tweaked mine while driving karts mostly, did you do yours for cars?

So far I've done them for a mixture. My test vehicles being the Kart, Ford Focus, Audi R8, Pagani Huayra and the McLaren P1. The P1 seems twitchier than many of the race cars (Z8, R8 etc), so if I can keep the P1 tamed, it's usually a good barometer that the settings offer decent leeway.

Only thing I was finding with my old settings was that steering on certain (slower) vehicles was just a tad heavy. I figured out I could improve this without making things too twitchy using Speed Sensitivity, which when dropped to 0 basically makes the handing insanely twitchy, and incredibly fast (mimicking the analogue stick). Putting this up seems to compensate for the analogue movement speed, so I dropped it just a touch compared to before (where originally I had it set to 65) just to give me back a tad more speed.

The only other changes were brake sensitivity (to give me more last minute stopping coverage), as well as turning Helmet Leaning and Camera Leaning to 0. These two things were complicating the look of ordinary high speed straights, where a tiny move left or right would swing the camera awkwardly.

I really like how not "consolized" this game is in many ways. One of the freedoms of kickstarter funded games?

A racing sim will logically always be superior with a wheel, but of course it's a very unfortunate situation that the PS4 has very shitty wheel support.

nib95

Banned
I really like how not "consolized" this game is in many ways. One of the freedoms of kickstarter funded games?

A racing sim will logically always be superior with a wheel, but of course it's a very unfortunate situation that the PS4 has very shitty wheel support.

Yeap, my G25 weeps.

lem0n

Updated my settings a tad, just to give me a bit more steering angle and stopping power compared to the last. If you prefer slightly heavier or slower steering, just put Speed Sensitivity back up to 65.

Control configuration.

Steering deadzone - 15
Throttle deadzone - 5
Brake deadzone - 5
Brake sensitivity - 30
Clutch deadzone - 10
Clutch sensitivity - 45
Speed sensitivity - 50
Force Feedback - 100
Advanced - Off

Field of view.

Hood camera - 70
Cockpit camera - 77
Helmet camera - 70

Movement.

High speed shake - on
World movement - 100
G-force effect - 50
Show helmet - no
Helmet look to apex - 0
Helmet leaning - 0
Camera leaning - 0

Extra.

Steering assist - off
Braking assist - off
Traction control - off
Stability control - off

Is your setup the gold standard in this thread? I'm thinking about playing pCARS tonight with my Xbone pad for the first time. I just don't feel like dragging my Playseat/G27 over right now lol.

Skyzard

Banned
So far I've done them for a mixture. My test vehicles being the Kart, Ford Focus, Audi R8, Pagani Huayra and the McLaren P1. The P1 seems twitchier than many of the race cars (Z8, R8 etc), so if I can keep the P1 tamed, it's usually a good barometer that the settings offer decent leeway.

Only thing I was finding with my old settings was that steering on certain (slower) vehicles was just a tad heavy. I figured out I could improve this without making things too twitchy using Speed Sensitivity, which when dropped to 0 basically makes the handing insanely twitchy, and incredibly fast (mimicking the analogue stick). Putting this up seems to compensate for the analogue movement speed, so I dropped it just a touch compared to before (where originally I had it set to 65) just to give me back a tad more speed.

The only other changes were brake sensitivity (to give me more last minute stopping coverage), as well as turning Helmet Leaning and Camera Leaning to 0. These two things were complicating the look of ordinary high speed straights, where a tiny move left or right would swing the camera awkwardly.

That's the setting I was worried about mostly with mine for cars, makes sense I'll need to drop it for slower/heavy cars, thank you.

nib95

Banned
Is your setup the gold standard in this thread? I'm thinking about playing pCARS tonight with my Xbone pad for the first time. I just don't feel like dragging my Playseat/G27 over right now lol.

I don't know if there's any gold standard per se, but I've used every other set up posted earlier in the thread, and prefer mine. I think it will depend on your driving style, the vehicles etc. I'm using a DS4 mind, so no idea if they'll work as well with the Xbox One. Some XO users are using them and have reported good results, so there's that.

lem0n

I don't know if there's any gold standard per se, but I've used every other set up posted earlier in the thread, and prefer mine. I think it will depend on your driving style, the vehicles etc. I'm using a DS4 mind, so no idea if they'll work as well with the Xbox One. Some XO users are using them and have reported good results, so there's that.

I'll give it a shot. I just see your setup posted here and there so figured it was the one to use!

Not really.

F1 is certainly more high profile than WEC, but endurance racing and those lmp cars are a different beast.
Wouldn't it be fair to say though that the best drivers in the world are in F1, not LMP1? It's only when guys can't get a seat in F1 any more that they tend to head to LMP1. I've never heard of the reverse happening... It just seems strange to me.

So i finally tried online to see how it was. Quick match worked better than i thought, but it meant casuals.

First race everything went fine, pole, won, never looked back. Second race was Formula C at Imola, some good guys racing. I managed to be in first and then as i cross the finish line i knew i had won because i was seeing second place in my mirror.

Once the results came up i was second, 0'038 behind. I mean, WTF??? Is this lag or...?

Online has a lot of potential... just need to find the right people. Add me on steam seattle6418 or on PSN FASJ6418.

Just posted the Fanatec issues I'm having on PS4 on the PCars forums, hopefully we see a patch soon.

Even with the issues, I'm still having a blast. I've been concentrating on the Formula Rookie series, but just completed one of the historical invitationals in the Ford Escort. Was a nice change of pace and highlighted the differences in approaches needed per vehicle. Really had to make sure I was rev matching on downshifts, otherwise the back end would kick out as the engine speed didn't match the cars speed. Great fun :D

So i finally tried online to see how it was. Quick match worked better than i thought, but it meant casuals.

First race everything went fine, pole, won, never looked back. Second race was Formula C at Imola, some good guys racing. I managed to be in first and then as i cross the finish line i knew i had won because i was seeing second place in my mirror.

Once the results came up i was second, 0'038 behind. I mean, WTF??? Is this lag or...?

Online has a lot of potential... just need to find the right people. Add me on steam seattle6418 or on PSN FASJ6418.

Seriously, is there a GAF race group? I'd be totally down for that.

Snubbers

Brake early, real early. I'm at 51'6xx, but i can't seem to make the car any better. Everything i change makes the car Slower

You can tune the cats in the community challenges? How do you do that? I am getting up the leader board but I would love to be able to tweak a few things, I thought it was stock settings only add everything is greyed out In the pre race menu.

danowat

Banned
You can tune the cats in the community challenges? How do you do that? I am getting up the leader board but I would love to be able to tweak a few things, I thought it was stock settings only add everything is greyed out In the pre race menu.

I think, that if you have a setup saved for the particular combo, it will use it.

dankir

Question for PC users, does this game support Oculus Rift? Has anybody played with the Rift and a full racing wheel / pedal setup?

Mobius 1

*snip*

The folks at SMS sure know how to pick 'em. I'm especially looking forward to the R18 e-tron and it's sci-fi flywheel soundtrack.

I started out in the Clio Cup, but didn't quite like the feel, so I switched to Formula Rookie and am sure glad I did. Next, I'll probably tackle the Ginettas before moving on through the GT ranks and into the prototypes. Formula racing usually isn't my thing, but the FA in pCARS feels unbelievable and I'm eager to work my way up to it in another career.

30 days till Le Mans!

F311

Is there a Ford Focus St or ford fiesta St on this?

I've looked at the car list but only browsed quick but couldn't see them :(

Momentary

Banned
They need to out the new Focus and Civic in here. Those two cars shame the BRZ and FRS and have damn near as much HP as Genesis Coupe and 370z. With how small they are I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually quicker.

Go to my garage and change the settings there. Also the gameplay aids you choose are the ones you will have on the challenge. It's stupid, because it makes you exit the track everytime you want to change something on your setup.

Fonds

I'm taking part In a community event, do some laps and am happy with my lap time. Exit the event and try to find myself on the event leaderboard and it tells me I have not set a lap time. Strange. Am I that slow? :(

It seems to take quite a lot of time before your time is registered to the leaderboards. Like up to an hour even.

Blizzard

Banned
Seriously, is there a GAF race group? I'd be totally down for that.
I made a barebones group, only 10 people so far. Quote for URL. *edit* Augh bottom of page for 50-posts-per-page people.

The main handy thing is coordinating races through the Steam group chat. I assume we could also add links, occasional event reminders, or whatever if people are interested.

Top Bottom