• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So guys, I had a question. Will the PS Vita PS1 Emulator be compatible with games and saves on the PS3? Say If I buy FFVII right now on PSN, will I be able to transfer it to PS Vita when the option becomes available?

Using good sense, it should be but I've been duped before....

Pachimari

Alright, I'm getting Gravity Rush sent to me tomorrow. Am I in for a treat? I like the style, universe and heroine based on the demo.

I could get Resistance as well but I'm not so sure it's anything special and I got like 20 games I need to play through.

Sid

Alright, I'm getting Gravity Rush sent to me tomorrow. Am I in for a treat? I like the style, universe and heroine based on the demo.

I could get Resistance as well but I'm not so sure it's anything special and I got like 20 games I need to play through.

I liked burning skies though it's not a great game it's a good one with a roughly 7-7.5 hour campaign,awesome controls,extremely simplistic mp and there's a new game+ mode as well

rjc571

Banned

You'll love it, as long as you're not expecting it to be an ultra-hardcore action game with deep, brutally difficult combat. The world, the characters and the gravity-based exploration aspects of the gameplay are pure class.

Pachimari

Oh I see. I'll think about it then.

I don't understand how to get Hustle King's for PS3 if I have the Vita version? I downloaded the file I needed on both systems but on PS3 it asks me to connect my Vita and start up Content Manager. What do I do from there? I tried copying the game from Vita to PS3 but that didn't work out.

DSGamer

Neo Member
General consensus on MLB The Show? Amazon has it for $20 today, and I'm thinking about grabbing it, even though I dont think I've ever bought a baseball game, lol.

I like it. It's really good. The graphics aren't great, but the core of the game is identical to the PS3 version.

RpgN

yeah I don't even use the control pad usually, outside of menus. the circle pad works fine.

it's almost comical how much I struggle to find a comfortable position to hold the Vita. A couple days ago I worked out something adequate, but it requires me to use the middles of my fingers to press the trigger buttons, which is pretty annoying.

It's tough being the apparently one guy in the world who isn't in love with the Vita's form factor :(

3DS games are designed around the circle pad for the most part, so I've been fine on most games. The only exception would be Dead or Alive Dimensions, even though it works better than expected, I still need to use a D-pad for more complicated combos. Now if you try playing 2D games that require precision, then it gets ugly. I've had that with a lot of ambassador games with Yoshi's Island being the most recent one. Those kind of games work best with the D-pad and I'm being forced to use a circle pad because of how painful it can get after a while.

Your situation is quite unique with the Vita, because you don't hear it that often and it's hard to imagine coming from someone who finds it very comfortable to use. My hands would be a bit on the small side and my minor problem would be reaching the triggers comfortably and how cheap they feel. While they're not as a big of a deal as having a D-pad in the correct lay-out, it's a shame there's one minor imperfection of an otherwise perfect hardware :D

Btw, I have no idea if the D-pad lay-out is improved and fixed with the 3DS XL? That would be a good reason to get one in the future if that's the case.

Sol1dus

Tried to give Hot Shots Golf another go. Honestly, game isn't for me. It's not fun at all (MY opinion), to waste 30minutes doing a tourney and then have to do it all over. I'll be using the money for Sound Shapes. :)

WipeOut was always going to be 30fps according to the developers, because they thought it was goog enough and really wanted to try to get the poly crunching up to PS3 standards as much as possible so it would be easier for them to share content between the two, hence we now have the HD and Pure DLC for Vita. I am not 100% sure it was worth the trade-off, but generally art is more expensive than code so there's something to be said for it, and the Vita is helped by its OLED display adding practically zero lag compared to sometimes horrible figures from HD TVs. John Carmack mentons this advantage of OLED in his recent keynote.

Vita has 512MB of main ram and 128MB of video ram, so definitely no memory cut ... The PS3 and 360 wished they had this much. ;) I don't know if there was a clock downgrade, but I doubt it.

For me the Vita is pretty much perfect in terms of controls btw, got used to the smaller sticks real fast. The only gamewherethey didn't feel great was Uncharted GA for some reason, but I never spent much time tweaking the controls either, relying on tilt in tight spots. And yeah, that d-pad ... Look forward to seeing more straightforward platformers, maybe with PSM launching ...Rayman felt so good, going back to the console version the DS3s analog sticks felt ridiculously oversized.

WipeOut was always going to be 30fps according to the developers, because they thought it was goog enough and really wanted to try to get the poly crunching up to PS3 standards as much as possible so it would be easier for them to share content between the two, hence we now have the HD and Pure DLC for Vita. I am not 100% sure it was worth the trade-off, but generally art is more expensive than code so there's something to be said for it, and the Vita is helped by its OLED display adding practically zero lag compared to sometimes horrible figures from HD TVs. John Carmack mentons this advantage of OLED in his recent keynote.

Vita has 512MB of main ram and 128MB of video ram, so definitely no memory cut ... The PS3 and 360 wished they had this much. ;) I don't know if there was a clock downgrade, but I doubt it.

For me the Vita is pretty much perfect in terms of controls btw, got used to the smaller sticks real fast. The only gamewherethey didn't feel great was Uncharted GA for some reason, but I never spent much time tweaking the controls either, relying on tilt in tight spots. And yeah, that d-pad ... Look forward to seeing more straightforward platformers, maybe with PSM launching ...Rayman felt so good, going back to the console version the DS3s analog sticks felt ridiculously oversized.

I made a thread about it but believe or not, Bend DID actually release a patch the basically fixed the analog aiming ....obviously way past the point of anyone giving a damn though

3DS games are designed around the circle pad for the most part, so I've been fine on most games. The only exception would be Dead or Alive Dimensions, even though it works better than expected, I still need to use a D-pad for more complicated combos. Now if you try playing 2D games that require precision, then it gets ugly. I've had that with a lot of ambassador games with Yoshi's Island being the most recent one. Those kind of games work best with the D-pad and I'm being forced to use a circle pad because of how painful it can get after a while.

Your situation is quite unique with the Vita, because you don't hear it that often and it's hard to imagine coming from someone who finds it very comfortable to use. My hands would be a bit on the small side and my minor problem would be reaching the triggers comfortably and how cheap they feel. While they're not as a big of a deal as having a D-pad in the correct lay-out, it's a shame there's one minor imperfection of an otherwise perfect hardware :D

Btw, I have no idea if the D-pad lay-out is improved and fixed with the 3DS XL? That would be a good reason to get one in the future if that's the case.

According to EU owners, the D-pad sits better and is like the DPad on the DSiXL. The slide pad is also different, no longer has flat outer edges. - I won't be able to say conclusively either way (on comfort), until I get my unit in 2 weeks.

I love the form factor of the Vita. It just feels so good. The DPad is THE BEST DPad I have EVER used. On all systems (NES--->through current) - my only gripe(s) though minor are the flat/flush start/select/PS buttons and the chincy trigger/shoulder buttons. Vita is a beautiful, classy system. In my 25 years of gaming (31 years old), the Vita is by far the prettiest and most elegant console. It just gets so mucky with fingerprints :(

krpiper

General consensus on MLB The Show? Amazon has it for $20 today, and I'm thinking about grabbing it, even though I dont think I've ever bought a baseball game, lol.

If you even like baseball a little bit, Road to the Show will consume many many hours of your playing time. It doesnt look fantastic but its a great baseball game on the Vita. I loved the PSP versions and I love the Vta version.

I am sure that next years will be much improved

Vita isn't an ergonomic disaster. My hands rest perfectly naturally on it, don't know what kind of freaky hands you have that they start to hurt that much after such a short period of playing.

Agreed

Hell, I find it more ergonomic and comfortable to hold more often than the Dualshock3.
I wanna freaking play everything on this thing!

According to EU owners, the D-pad sits better and is like the DPad on the DSiXL. The slide pad is also different, no longer has flat outer edges. - I won't be able to say conclusively either way (on comfort), until I get my unit in 2 weeks.

I love the form factor of the Vita. It just feels so good. The DPad is THE BEST DPad I have EVER used. On all systems (NES--->through current) - my only gripe(s) though minor are the flat/flush start/select/PS buttons and the chincy trigger/shoulder buttons. Vita is a beautiful, classy system. In my 25 years of gaming (31 years old), the Vita is by far the prettiest and most elegant console. It just gets so mucky with fingerprints :(

Exactly. I've NEVER been this excited about a handheld gaming device in my entire life/whole time since I've been gaming ...which I started at around 6 and am now 29 =P

Haliela

Dat d-pad. It really is amazing. It's so smooth and I love the little clicks it makes when you roll across it. Perfect.

I have been playing my Vita alot, alot the last week and a half.

I do think it is not as ergonomic as it could be. My hands tend to cramp up as well after a while as well. It's coming mostly from how I have to hold so my thumbs don't touch the sticks on accident.

I don't like how the start/select are flush. It's awkward to push them in.

I still feel the shoulder buttons are not what they could be. Don't feel "right" to me yet.

I don't like how close the D-pad and the buttons are to the sticks. I hit them alot on accident when play fighting games. I wish they were moved over and up.

On the PSP, the D-pad sits right above the a nub, but the nub is inset lower than the d-pad, and is way stiffer. Even if you touch it, it doesn't do much. (I still play my PSP alot).

The d-pad itself is awesome. And I like how the sticks feel for how small they are.

My list of improvements right now off the top of my head that impede my enjoyment a tad are:

- I wish they would swap the left stick and d-pad positions. I know this will never happen, lol. I just think there would be no problems since the stick is higher than the d-pad profile, so when your thumb is on the left stick, it is less likely to actually depress the d-pad to engage.

- Baring that, I hope they can move the d-pad to the left more and move the left stick down some. Also move the diamond of buttons to the right more of the fight stick. Obviously, this would make the Vita a little wider, so it will probably never happen.

- I wish the buttons were a little wider. But I am used to how they are now I guess.

- Improve the shoulder buttons somehow. And make the start.select not flush.

- I hope they improve the browser overall. I just wish somehow it would show youtube links/embeds, and when you click them, it would open the content automatically by opening the YT app.

- I also want a twitchTV app :)

Please mind my point of view. I have big hands. And I play mostly fighting games and other games that use the d-pad mostly.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Is Chuck670 somebody on here? I received a friend request from the person but declined it because I didn't know who they were and just received a second one.

Rezae

Ugh... Sony is really testing my nerves.

First I have my Disgaea 3 save deleted because my daughter deleted the bubble yesterday from my digital copy....

... and today I pick up Mortal Kombat for $10 from Gamestop, having already own the digital version because my memory stick is getting close to full and MK is 3+ GBs.

..and of course there appears no way to have my digital save transfer to the physical version. I have to delete the digital bubble to install the cartridge, and delete the cartridge to transfer the digital copy (where the save is).

The whole damn save structure is *$#($ retarded, and I realized for the first time that if I want to back up my digital copies it takes 10-15 minutes to transfer off the Vita, along with another 5+ minutes to simply "delete" the bubble.

This combined with the whole "Summer 2012" bullshit with JSR, RCR, LKS, PS1 support...

ARGHH!!

Raoh

What are people using for a speaker stand?

Something that can prop up the vita for a nice video viewing stance and has built in speakers

Well I never had a SNES as a kid, but I wanted to give it a playthrough anyway. I think I'll pick it up. Looks like a game that would look pretty decent on the Vita..

branny

The 3DS makes my hands hurt too, but I suppose I've been lucky, because I find the Vita the most comfortable handheld I've used since the original GBA.
It took me a while to get used to holding the Vita properly (with middle fingers curled against the 'grips') because I was holding it like a PSP with my fingers all over the rear touch panel.

I absolutely cannot stand playing the 3DS for extended periods of time because it digs into my palm. It's the main reason why I want to get an XL. I have small hands, so it's not really marketed toward me, but I'm willing to shell out the money if it makes the system not hurt.

DualShock 4 need/must have Vita's d-pad.
I want this to happen.

Is Megaman Maverick Hunter X any good?
Yes, but I don't like it as much as the original. I still play it all the time, though. Come into it with an open mind, and you'll have plenty of fun.

If you're a super fan of the original, you may be sliiiiightly disappointed as it feels a little different, looks a little different, sounds a little different, and changes around a few things. The only addition I am 100% behind is hard mode because the original game was a bit on the easy side.

edit: Oh, you never played the original. I say get it--it's a remake of one of my favorite games of all time.

Better than the original, which was already one of the best games ever.
I see people saying this quite often, but I personally don't understand it. Movement sometimes feels off compared to the original (maybe it's just the animations or something, but there's less pleasure dashing and jumping in this). The action no longer stylishly halts for health refills. The remixed music is hit-or-miss. The extra exposition is for fans who don't care about how deliberately paced the original was. And Vile is a nice addition but nowhere near as fun to play as X. :(

LuchaShaq

Banned
Agreed

Hell, I find it more ergonomic and comfortable to hold more often than the Dualshock3.
I wanna freaking play everything on this thing!

Exactly. I've NEVER been this excited about a handheld gaming device in my entire life/whole time since I've been gaming ...which I started at around 6 and am now 29 =P

The ds3 is even worse than the vita for me. Playing a game with the ds3 for long is the same as stomping on my hands every 5-10 sec.

I'll even take a GC controller or hell a dreamcast controller ergonomically over Sony's recent offerings.

For reference on a regular psp if my fingers are on the triggers my hands will overlap behind the psp by over an inch.

zroid

Banned
It took me a while to get used to holding the Vita properly (with middle fingers curled against the 'grips') because I was holding it like a PSP with my fingers all over the rear touch panel.

Man, I can't do this. It's mildly manageable when only the d-pad and face buttons are required, but both sticks are COMPLETELY out of reach for me. :(

Sol1dus

I would really appreciate it if you guys didn't flood my inbox with invites to chat. I usually post here when I'm goin to be on vc. I'm not calling anyone out, but I you're reading this and have me added, I'd appreciate it if you stopped.

I have close to a hundred invites, and this just happened in about 4 days.

Raoh

I would really appreciate it if you guys didn't flood my inbox with invites to chat.

This times a thousand.

Its one of the things I hated about xbox live.

I hardly use my phone as a phone and I only chat in game when playing online with my squad.

I wish all games were push to talk I hate people chatting so much.

I know Chuck670 is a GFAQs user, so he might be waiting for his account to be activated and getting a headstart on adding.

Sorry for the delay in asnwering, been a little sick lately.

Thanks ^^. I made them in the gelaskin site. I think it's called a vynil decal but yeah it's a sticker, a really resistant one.
Maybe it's because I love Miku, but it looks great. Does it affect the back touch panel in any way? And feel better!

You are definitely in for a treat. :3

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I would really appreciate it if you guys didn't flood my inbox with invites to chat. I usually post here when I'm goin to be on vc. I'm not calling anyone out, but I you're reading this and have me added, I'd appreciate it if you stopped.

Echoing this. It's a pain to delete messages on the Vita when they're all from different senders.

Kyon

Banned

not me :3

Coqui :p

Someone likes you :3

I kid, of course.

^_^

Pachimari

Anyone playing Hustle King's here? It's seriously awesome, great atmosphere and perfect to play online before sleep. Does it have voice chat though? Can't seem to find it.

Sol1dus

Anyone playing Hustle King's here? It's seriously awesome, great atmosphere and perfect to play online before sleep. Does it have voice chat though? Can't seem to find it.

Voice chat's included on a different app altogether. It just runs on the background while you play.

Rasec

I know Chuck670 is a GFAQs user, so he might be waiting for his account to be activated and getting a headstart on adding.

Maybe it's because I love Miku, but it looks great. Does it affect the back touch panel in any way? And feel better!

Well, i was afraid it could affect it but it even helped the back touch panel and i like the feel.
It works great and also makes the back panel scratch free xP

hmm, i'm seeing the vitagaf people adding themselves on the psn.
I'm still newbie on the psn and the vita is my second sony console (ps2 was 1st) but if someone wants to add me here it is:

PSN ID: Rasec46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom