• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The RTS elements could be interesting.

I was wondering, do you guys think the 3G Vita used from Gamestop was a good deal at $219? I've been using it since Saturday and "knock on wood" it works flawlessly so far.

depends on your data connection in your area. I have an AT&T already, so I just rooted it so I could share wi-fi for free on my unlimited data plan.

I don't do that often mind you, but when I was camping for 6 days, it was pretty sweet to get some ranked matches in

Does resistance burning skies come with an online pass? If so, can you try out MP for a little while for free? im renting it from gamefly and would buy it if MP is fun.

VanWinkle

So..pac-man will be the Ouya..but not on Vita. :|

It'll most likely be a reskinned port of this
qXJi2.jpg

with better framerate(if you are too lucky).

Not necessarily. Criterion themselves were hiring Vita developers a while back.

Torraz

I have no idea if this is a common thing or not, but has anyone else noticed that when the Vita screen is black, you can see this sort of pixelation in the screen, generally towards the right? It kind of looks like this:

434503-bigthumbnail.jpg

Of course, this isn't an issue any other time, only when the screen is completely black. Just thought it was weird.

I only have around 10-20% as many as on your screenshot.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

well it wont port itself,ofcourse they will hire some dude who know how to port it to Vita.

I want to be positive here,but lack of footage for any port on any platform usually mean bad news(like in today's Spy Hunter screenshots).

Does anyone know where I can get a good wrist strap for my Vita? I currently have my wii strap on it and I'm tired of switching.

I guess if you have a playstation move controller you could use that strap as it matches perfectly. Sites like ami ami, playasia and even ebay sell vita straps.

Beast780

This honestly makes me feel better. I doubt it'll be a port of an iOS game, but I really hope it turns out good! Hopefully there's some footage at Gamescom, or even better, a playable demo!

Why is it that my Vita can download games while the screen is off but it can't install them until I turn the screen on and login? Furthermore, if the vita screen times out and goes off during an install, it halts it until I cut it back on and (at least in my case) the installs are buggered until I reboot the system?

VanWinkle

well it wont port itself,ofcourse they will hire some dude who know how to port it to Vita.

I want to be positive here,but lack of footage for any port on any platform usually mean bad news(like in today's Spy Hunter screenshots).

Well, if Criterion is developing it, even if it is only one guy porting it, it will automatically be better than the iOS version.

JoshHood

It's a difficult question certainly. I'd rather see better versions of 3DS games, than worse versions of PS3 games, for two reasons. I like to think I'm putting my time in the best version of a game, and I like that in those instances they should generally have been developing specifically for handheld gameplay.

Personally, I expect that to be ultimately all the Vita is going to get outside of Sony stuff.

I hadn't thought about that actually. I'd got bogged down like other people with hating on the fact we miss out on stuff, but actually, it's probably annoy me if it was there.

Case in point: as great as the PSP GTAs were, I hated that when I only had a bit of time to play, I was wasting half that time getting from a safehouse to a mission start, then waiting for the cutscene to load only so I can skip it, then loading back into the world, then driving to the actual place the mission occurs at - *time to get back to whatever I was doing.*

So I totally agree - the poor quality cutscenes and whatnot suck and there's no need or reason for that, but in terms of it being more suited to a handheld that makes sense.

Hobohodo

I haven't tested it yet, but I've heard if you hit down on the dpad, this un-equips your weapon. Will try to tonight and report back.

Ahh cool, I'll try that out later then. Any idea on why you become sort of locked in to place at the corners once you peak around?

Beast780

Why is it that my Vita can download games while the screen is off but it can't install them until I turn the screen on and login? Furthermore, if the vita screen times out and goes off during an install, it halts it until I cut it back on and (at least in my case) the installs are buggered until I reboot the system?

I don't personally see that as being a problem as even Sound Shapes (~1 gb) took less than a minute to install. I personally believe the Vita handles downloads much better than the PS3 in that you can que stuff up and everything automatically downloads in the background. I just hope we get bigger memory cards down the road sometime!

Foxix Von

Hmmmm how resistant is the screen to scratching? I've never used screen protectors, but the system I just got had a loose screen protector that's still good to use hanging in the box.

I've always avoided using them since every time I've tried I end up applying them incorrectly and end up with tons of bubbles and dust trapped underneath. I'm usually pretty gentle with my handhelds.

Skyzard

Banned
The HORI screen protector that I picked up ages ago is really good [and I've read it being recommended many times as well].

Nice and thick, sticks on really well. I didn't even bother with the instructions. It was sold out for a long time, hopefully it is back in stock.

I'm not sure how easy the Vita screen scratches...but it's not diamond, keys pressed against it with some pressure will probably do it. I can say that over the months the protector has picked up a few scratches so I am glad that I picked it up. Rather it then the screen right.

Another thing that you might be worried about is how it affects the feel of the screen. Not bad at all really, imo. It has been a while since I used the vita naked, but the touchscreen feels great to press even with it on. Don't need to press extra hard or anything.

Highly recommended, will probably buy a backup incase I mess this one up a lot. Nice for peace of mind, even if you don't just carry it in your pocket...shit happens.

To prevent dust just wipe it with those cloths they give for glasses, then drop the protector on carefully -- you will still get a few bubbles. Push them to the edge with a card, with some pressure. It looks like it is ruining the protector but they are just smudge marks and fade pretty quickly. I remember having one or two bubbles after pretty carelessly applying it. May have stuck around for a few days but there are none now. Pretty easy, careful dropping the protector around the buttons/nubs and webcam etc..should be alright, worth it, definitely.

There may be youtube videos showing proper technique, which might be useful/reassuring to watch.

TehOh

Bought a Vita from my friend for $150 this week (it's the 3G model too, but I doubt I'll ever sign up for the service). It's awesome. The screen is gorgeous.

Grabbed Katamari, Gravity Rush, and Sound Shapes. They're all really fantastic, especially the latter two. Damn, Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes look good.

Think I'll also grab Uncharted after the price drops next week. Any other must-haves?

Toki767

Bought a Vita from my friend for $150 this week (it's the 3G model too, but I doubt I'll ever sign up for the service). It's awesome. The screen is gorgeous.

Grabbed Katamari, Gravity Rush, and Sound Shapes. They're all really fantastic, especially the latter two. Damn, Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes look good.

Think I'll also grab Uncharted after the price drops next week. Any other must-haves?

Mutant Blobs Attack.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Unit 13 is really good, as is Wipeout if you're interested in a racing game.

On the digital side you can't go wrong with Super Stardust, and I think Jet Set Radio should be hitting real soon.

Skyzard

Banned
@Toki767 + TehOh :

It was a fun game...but do people find it replayable (mutant blobs)? I think there were only a few levels that I really enjoyed, despite it being a great game with lots of great levels, I didn't find it replayable due to the build up - introducing game mechanics - so only the later levels were fun. Decent humour and some great platforming moments in the game. I should probably go through it again to remember the best levels.

For the price it is a no-brainer recommendation.

Other pretty easy ones are Rayman Origins, Wipeout 2048 (if up for the challenge), Super Stardust HD....lumines if you are a fan of tetris type games - very hypnotic this one. Motorstorm RC is free, I think? People recommend Velocity as well (a mini game). HSG is the first golf game I enjoyed, ridiculously well made (for games these days) and packed full of content. Was a steal at the EU sale price. MGS Collection is pretty wonderful too.

Don't forget a nice set of background wallpaper. (my favourite)

You'll need the free app, Playstation Content Manager Assistant, for transferring stuff and backing up.

zroid

Banned
I might get WipEout after the price drop. Not super keen on getting WipEout again, as I loved HD/Fury but was so bad at them I barely scratched the surface.

But I have this $10 off coupon that expires on Aug 31, and it's only valid on $19.99+ games, so for $9.99 it might hit the mark for me.

Orrrr maybe I'll get HSG or Jak Collection. Dunno, still undecided.

If you guys want to attempt to sell me on one of them over the others, I'll be receptive :p

Sol1dus

Super Stardust. Just fired it up again since summer started, its so good.

I might get WipEout after the price drop. Not super keen on getting WipEout again, as I loved HD/Fury but was so bad at them I barely scratched the surface.

But I have this $10 off coupon that expires on Aug 31, and it\s only valid on $19.99+ games, so for $9.99 it might hit the mark for me.

Orrrr maybe I'll get HSG or Jak Collection. Dunno, still undecided.

If you guys want to attempt to sell me on one of them over the others, I'll be receptive :p

Wipeout>>>HSG

TehOh

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I love Super Stardust HD on PS3. Didn't realize there was a Vita one. I'll have to grab that. I should also get Rayman Origins. I liked the demo on Xbox, but held off because it's the kind of game I'd rather play on a portable.

Is the Vita Lumines worth buying? I liked the original PSP one, but haven't played it in a million years.

StuBurns

Banned
Lumines ES is the best Lumines so far, some people are unhappy with the price point, but I wasn't at all. There is a little loading hang a few seconds into a new track unfortunately, but it's nothing too frustrating.

Sol1dus

I love Super Stardust HD on PS3. Didn't realize there was a Vita one. I'll have to grab that. I should also get Rayman Origins. I liked the demo on Xbox, but held off because it's the kind of game I'd rather play on a portable.

Is the Vita Lumines worth buying? I liked the original PSP one, but haven't played it in a million years.

I definitely see Lumines on Vita going down in price by November when new games start replacing the launch titles.

I bought Lumines a week ago, still hasn't arrived yet, but Ive played a bit of the psp one and its awesome!

StuBurns

Banned
PSN codes are region specific, but you can redeem a US code in Europe if you have a US PSN account. Consider though, that's very simple on PS3, because you can have multiple accounts on one machines, but not on Vita.

Skyzard

Banned
^^ yep - btw never noticed the loading hang in lumines before.

[About Lumines ES] I was actually a little annoyed initially that it didn't have puzzle mode (I remember having some fun trying to recreate the images in the older ones)...but the game is actually really good. You get a real appreciation for the various skins and their effects (slight 3dness on the blocks, which is new) when you build your own playlist, something I would never have done if I didn't already get all the other trophies. I usually just play that instead of voyager now!

Similar to the other lumines but even brighter and more awesome. The levelling is a bit stupid (super fast to level up using the "world block" "feature") but it doesn't really matter. They added this rear-touchscreen tapping mechanic (easier with a grip) that helps you get your special item faster then just clearing blocks....which can annoy some people.

Essentially the game is a fantastic time sink though. Really easy to get into, can play it for hours without thinking about it really (why I describe it as hypnotic). The skins looks pretty awesome, the music and sound effects that tie in with the gameplay help you zone out pretty quickly as well.

Easy recommendation. I would say it is best to get it digitally but seeing as the games can last for so long and you can't save your progress and resume it later - it doesn't matter much at all to get it retail. Played it lots, got lots of other games. No chance I'm deleting it.

Foxix Von

The HORI screen protector that I picked up ages ago is really good [and I've read it being recommended many times as well].

Nice and thick, sticks on really well. I didn't even bother with the instructions. It was sold out for a long time, hopefully it is back in stock.

I'm not sure how easy the Vita screen scratches...but it's not diamond, keys pressed against it with some pressure will probably do it. I can say that over the months the protector has picked up a few scratches so I am glad that I picked it up. Rather it then the screen right.

Another thing that you might be worried about is how it affects the feel of the screen. Not bad at all really, imo. It has been a while since I used the vita naked, but the touchscreen feels great to press even with it on. Don't need to press extra hard or anything.

Highly recommended, will probably buy a backup incase I mess this one up a lot. Nice for peace of mind, even if you don't just carry it in your pocket...shit happens.

To prevent dust just wipe it with those cloths they give for glasses, then drop the protector on carefully -- you will still get a few bubbles. Push them to the edge with a card, with some pressure. It looks like it is ruining the protector but they are just smudge marks and fade pretty quickly. I remember having one or two bubbles after pretty carelessly applying it. May have stuck around for a few days but there are none now. Pretty easy, careful dropping the protector around the buttons/nubs and webcam etc..should be alright, worth it, definitely.

There may be youtube videos showing proper technique, which might be useful/reassuring to watch.

I actually found a hori screen protector at best buy. Thanks for the info. I'll do a little digging to see how to apply it best. Somebody wish me luck, I'm terrible with these things

fernoca

I actually found a hori screen protector at best buy. Thanks for the info. I'll do a little digging to see how to apply it best. Somebody wish me luck, I'm terrible with these things
Me too. XD
Hori didn't worked (a few dust partciles).
The official-branded ones..one tiny dust.
Found one PDP-branded (2 for $10).

The second one (of the two-PDP ones) did the trick (though one particle managed to made it, but can only be seen when is off and is in a corner :p)
Slapped a crystal case to it, and use a stylus..so; no need to worry about cleaning it...that much. :p

What's the general consensus on charging the Vita? Always charge it when the battery gets low, or run it totally dead every so often?

Beast780

I have to sell my Vita for some money issues so I thought I'd post it in here too just incase.

I'm gonna miss him :(

That sucks, hopefully your money issues turn around so you can get another Vita someday. T_T

What's the general consensus on charging the Vita? Always charge it when the battery gets low, or run it totally dead every so often?

I have a cradle so charging is easy. I always like keeping a full battery, so whenever I'm doing something it's on the cradle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom