• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RpgN

Discussion of the vita and its future in its official thread is off limits? You don't consider it a valid discussion point?

What next...PS1 support doesn't appear by the end of the Summer and we're not allowed to complain as it's being negative or 'shitting up the thread'?

But fair enough, let's not post anything but positive comments and ignore everything else.

I'm sure by the time PS1 support doesn't appear, a specific complain thread will be created for it. There are 2 active complain threads today, you can post your nonsense there. This is the only neutral/positive Vita thread, let's keep it that way.

Also, I'm sure a lot of members are aware of the problems and flaws that surround the Vita, they don't have to read about it in every Vita thread though. I too have things to complain about for instance, but I'd want to keep some decent discussion here.

Sol1dus

I managed it after a couple tries lol

I think I'll put a check point after you get the top note. That way you don't need to keep going back up to get it, but there's still enough challenge with the cluster on the starting screen. Sorry, I hope it didn't make you as frustrated as I was with Death Mode last night.

I managed to get 3 or 4. But like you said, it's purely luck. You have to hope the notes spawn close to each other.

RpgN

I was on the fence about Sound Shapes but ultimately decided to get it because I want more games on the Vita and I like supporting games that have a unique style. I think the game's biggest flaw is that the platforming isn't particularly fun (I say that as somebody who's not very good at platfomers though), and really just a method to explore the wonderfully designed levels. It's also on the short side, but the level editor and excellent community interface should do a lot to extend the game's life.

Are you happy with your purchase of the game? And how short is it exactly? Like 5 hours? It definitely sounds like a game to get later (for me). I'm indifferent about its style and usually not into level editors but it would be fun to play creations of other members.

Btw, I started on Mutant Blobs Attack yesterday and did the first world/area. The game is worth the praise, it's very good :D

Famassu

It's hard not to be negative.
It's very easy not to be negative, some people just either choose to be negative and ignore the tons of interesting looking games arriving to Vita or they are bitchy about shit by nature and can never see the good side of things. Not only did Vita have one of the best launches ever (I'd almost go as far as to say it's perhaps the best), there have been a few great releases after (Gravity Rush, MGS HD Collection, Unit 13) and the release schedule for the near future is simply crazy. It's just suffering from the post-launch AND summer drought at the same time. And it's not like there have been shittons of good releases within the last few months for other platforms.

Sound Shapes
Soul Sacrifice
Orgarhythm
DJ Max Technika
Retro City Rampage
SINE MORA
Earth Defense Force 3 Portable
FIFA 13
Zen Pinball 2
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Ragnarok Odyssey
Little Big Planet Vita
Urban Trials
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Final Fantasy X HD
Snapshot
Zone of the Enders HD
Jet Set Radio HD
Kick Beat
Phantasy Star Online 2
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Monkey Ball
Madden 13
Knytt Underground
Dragon's Crown
Guacamelee!
Malicious Rebirth
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
New King's Story
Warrior's Lair
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Persona 4: The Golden
Ys 4 Celceta - Sea of Trees
Time Traveler
Silent Hill: Book of Memories
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Special News Division
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified

Most of these are releasing this year. Sure, not all of them will be mind-blowing, but they might still be worth checking out. Still, for me, this rivals and probably even exceeds what consoles have to offer this year (other than some interesting multiplatform titles, Wii is dead, Xbox 360 has nothing but Halo 4 and PS3 has, like, Sly 4 & PSASBR)

Compare that to 3DS's first year, which didn't have much else but a couple of N64 up ports, a couple of Mario games and only a few non-Nintendo games that were worth a shit (Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Ace Combat, Resident Evil Revelations).

VanWinkle

Discussion of the vita and its future in its official thread is off limits? You don't consider it a valid discussion point?

What next...PS1 support doesn't appear by the end of the Summer and we're not allowed to complain as it's being negative or 's***ting up the thread'?

But fair enough, let's not post anything but positive comments and ignore everything else.

Look, I understand the criticisms. I see a lot of awesome games coming out, but also a distinct lack of third party titles. We know that. We wish there were more. It's just that, this is the ONE thread out of so many that come and go that is positive towards Vita. We just try to keep it that way, since there are always so many Vita threads coming out that are always negative.

There's a time and place for complaints against the system and negative feelings, but it would just be nice to have one solitary thread that doesn't have that stuff in it too often. It's bad enough having just us in Vita-GAF being the only ones here that see hope in the system.

Sol1dus

In a way, (Just a little bit), I'm kind of glad Retro City and Jet Set Radio didn't release this week. This gives Sound Shapes enough time time get a lot of buyers, leaving the following weeks open for Retro City and Jet Set radio.

I'm interested to see how many units Sound Shapes has sold by the end of the month.

VanWinkle

Are you happy with your purchase of the game? And how short is it exactly? Like 5 hours? It definitely sounds like a game to get later (for me). I'm indifferent about its style and usually not into level editors but it would be fun to play creations of other members.

Btw, I started on Mutant Blobs Attack yesterday and did the first world/area. The game is worth the praise, it's very good :D

I would definitely not say five hours. It's about the length of Mutant Blobs Attack. However, there's good replayability, a "death mode" (short but extremely difficult challenges set in the sections from the campaign levels), and a level creator with sharing which will increase the longevity. I feel like I have definitely got my money's worth, personally.

I would definitely not say five hours. It's about the length of Mutant Blobs Attack. However, there's good replayability, a "death mode" (short but extremely difficult challenges set in the sections from the campaign levels), and a level creator with sharing which will increase the longevity. I feel like I have definitely got my money's worth, personally.
I'm usually not a big fan of level editors but I've been having a blast with the one in Sound Shapes. I think the reasons for that are pretty easy to understand; it's extremely intuitive and well designed in terms of the UI, you are making music as you create a level which is a whole other layer of fun to me, and all of the game's mechanics are fairly simple and easy to grasp and create with. It's much more enjoyable than something like LittleBigPlanet, in my opinion.

VanWinkle

I'm usually not a big fan of level editors but I've been having a blast with the one in Sound Shapes. I think the reasons for that are pretty easy to understand; it's extremely intuitive and well designed in terms of the UI, you are making music as you create a level which is a whole other layer of fun to me, and all of the game's mechanics are fairly simple and easy to grasp and create with. It's much more enjoyable than something like LittleBigPlanet, in my opinion.

Yeah. I always loved LittleBigPlanet, but I never actually have tried to create a level. Just seems so daunting. With Sound Shapes, though, I'm actually kind of wanting to. It seems relatively simple, and you can just have one complex screen, or many screens of varying difficulty. Just seems really cool.

I can't wait to see DLC for this game, in the form of additional "albums" and content packs for creators. I will instantly buy any of those that come out.

kiyomi

Please come to Europe before the boat has sailed everywhere else.

I want Soundshapes too. Dammit SCEE.

@The_Darkest_Red - that's some good positivity about Soundshapes! Nice to hear the level editor is good. I'm gonna enjoy making some downright devilish creations for VitaGaf ;)

I've been playing more EG, I got a crown in one of the tournaments, how am I supposed to know what the objectives are for getting those crowns? I just got it by accident, tbh..

Foxix Von

So what would you guys recommend for some cases or something to keep this in? I'm starting to feel this this machine's very act of being leaves me feeling like it's vulnerable and exposed haha.

So what would you guys recommend for some cases or something to keep this in? I'm starting to feel this this machine's very act of being leaves me feeling like it's vulnerable and exposed haha.
I picked up the official travel pouch with mine at launch and it's been great so far. My only complaint is that the slots for the games are pretty lose and the games will fall out if the pouch gets flipped around a lot.

716lgjSY8%2BL._AA1400_.jpg

91eT9BzImPL._AA1500_.jpg

I don't have a screen protector or anything, I just put the Vita in this when I'm not using it. So far so good.

Hmm nothing really ?

I got mine on release day and used only screen protector from hori (which extends over whole front) and so far all i have is 2 or 3 mini scratches on the back.

tgoalves

Neo Member
Hi, guys! First post on GAF, after a long time waiting for approval (and lurking around). I'm a brazilian proud Vita owner, that's my game list (all DD):

Uncharted: GA;
Hot Shots Golf;
Virtua Tennis 4;
Mortal Kombat;
Mod Nation Racers;
Mutant Blobs;
Pulzar;
Sound Shapes;
Escape Plan;
Foosball;
Motorstorm RC

PSP
Syphon filter Logans shadow;
Patapon 2;
Daxter;
Dead Head Fred;
Killzone Liberation;
LittleBigPlanet;
Megaman Maverick Hunter;
The 3rd Birthday
The Warriors;
GTA VC;
GTA CW;
Manhunt 2;
GoW Chain of Olympus;
Resistance Retribution

My PSN nick is tgoalves, feel free to add me!

brentech

It's very easy not to be negative, some people just either choose to be negative and ignore the tons of interesting looking games arriving to Vita or they are bitchy about shit by nature and can never see the good side of things. Not only did Vita have one of the best launches ever (I'd almost go as far as to say it's perhaps the best), there have been a few great releases after (Gravity Rush, MGS HD Collection, Unit 13) and the release schedule for the near future is simply crazy. It's just suffering from the post-launch AND summer drought at the same time. And it's not like there have been shittons of good releases within the last few months for other platforms.

Sound Shapes
Soul Sacrifice
Orgarhythm
DJ Max Technika
Retro City Rampage
SINE MORA
FIFA 13
Zen Pinball 2
Ragnarok Odyssey
Little Big Planet Vita
Urban Trials
Final Fantasy X HD
Snapshot
Zone of the Enders HD
Jet Set Radio HD
Kick Beat
Phantasy Star Online 2
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Monkey Ball
Madden 13
Knytt Underground
Dragon's Crown
Guacamelee!
Malicious Rebirth
New King's Story
Warrior's Lair
Time Traveler
Special News Division

Most of these are releasing this year. Sure, not all of them will be mind-blowing, but they might still be worth checking out. Still, for me, this rivals and probably even exceeds what consoles have to offer this year (other than some interesting multiplatform titles, Wii is dead, Xbox 360 has nothing but Halo 4 and PS3 has, like, Sly 4 & PSASBR)

Compare that to 3DS's first year, which didn't have much else but a couple of N64 up ports, a couple of Mario games and only a few non-Nintendo games that were worth a shit (Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Ace Combat, Resident Evil Revelations).
1000x agree with the whole post and that statement I bolded. I mentioned that before. People just acting all crazy because they can, and it's the cool thing to do to Sony these days.

Wonko_C

Sound Shapes
Soul Sacrifice
Orgarhythm
DJ Max Technika
Retro City Rampage
SINE MORA
FIFA 13
Zen Pinball 2
Ragnarok Odyssey
Little Big Planet Vita
Urban Trials
Final Fantasy X HD
Snapshot
Zone of the Enders HD
Jet Set Radio HD
Kick Beat
Phantasy Star Online 2
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Monkey Ball
Madden 13
Knytt Underground
Dragon's Crown
Guacamelee!
Malicious Rebirth
New King's Story
Warrior's Lair
Time Traveler
Special News Division

I know people that would keep saying they aren't going to buy a Vita because it has no games that interest them even after looking at that list. :/

I know people that would keep saying they aren't going to buy a Vita because it has no games that interest them even after looking at that list. :/

There will be a lot of dismissal about ports. Some ports I really want though. This will be my go to Battle Royale system and I'm probably picking up SFxTekken for the Vita as well. I love my Vita, I've had some great experiences on it over the few months since release.

RpgN

Interesting, it's like twice as expensive as Mutant Blobs Attack yet they share a similar length. It's good to read the level editor being this great, it sounds like it's worth it for the people into them. Also, death mode sounds good.

tgoalves said:
Hi, guys! First post on GAF, after a long time waiting for approval (and lurking around). I'm a brazilian proud Vita owner, that's my game list (all DD):

Hey there! Welcome to the forum. You have good taste. I'll add you in a bit :)

Cornbread78

Just keep posting that entire list and post in every "VITA is Dead" and "VITA has no games" thread...

Beast780

Welcome! You should check out the PS Minis Wizorb, Where is my Heart, and Velocity! I'll add you when I get on my Vita next!

Back to Sound Shapes, I don't know if you can truly put a completion time on it with how easy to use and fun the editor is. True there is going to be a time when you tire of it, but it will seemingly always be there when you want to come back! I can see a vast community of creative people backing this like they back Forza, LittleBigPlanet and Modnation Racers. I used to be in one of those communities when RollerCoaster Tycoon was popular.

I also hope we see some official DLC for Sound Shapes as well, with more albums and creation tools!

Official Vita cradle and AC adapter are going to be on sale at Best Buy next week for $5. Really been wanting to pick up the cradle, I just wasn't willing to pay $20 for it.

link

VanWinkle

Interesting, it's like twice as expensive as Mutant Blobs Attack yet they share a similar length. It's good to read the level editor being this great, it sounds like it's worth it for the people into them. Also, death mode sounds good.

Yeah, the length is similar, but with MBA, you get the campaign and that's it. So I feel it's worth the extra financial investment with the added functionality. And about the level editor, I probably won't be huge into it, but it's worth it to me for the fact that I can play those shared levels that people create (with some sure to be awesome, like like what happened with LBP).

Ponn

Banned
There will be a lot of dismissal about ports. Some ports I really want though. This will be my go to Battle Royale system and I'm probably picking up SFxTekken for the Vita as well. I love my Vita, I've had some great experiences on it over the few months since release.

I keep saying this but i'm getting tired of the port moniker. Yes there are a couple companies that don't quite get it yet and are doing 3DS ports (looking at you Lego Batman 2) but alot of these games are just multiplatform games. They are pretty close or look just the same as console versions to me. People are automatically jumping to "well, why would I buy it twice" and its not that for me, it's i'm buying it once and for my Vita. My PS3 game list shrunk dramatically to only 2 games for the holiday season. And those are 2 games without Vita versions, Xcom and ZOE, and i'd be getting ZOE on vita if it was available. And how sweet would Xcom be on Vita with touchscreen.

I want the fidelity and immersion of a PS3 game but I want it on a handheld freeing up my TV. Thats how I view my Vita and I think if people would get off this "it needs handheld games and to compete with 3DS" bandwagon and see the Vita for what it is, try some of these games and see they are not stripped versions some attitudes would change. I was really tempted to get Rayman Origins for $10 on PS3 at BB this sunday but I realize I just wouldn't play it on my PS3 and would rather have it on Vita so I will wait.

filipe

So I bought Sound Shapes, and must say, fun little game. Not necessarily a huge fan of the music, but when you get into the game it just syncs in well with the gameplay. Can't wait to try out some creative community levels.

Skyzard

Banned
Well said Famassu..been having some issues with people in the newer sony doom thread, should come in handy :) I should really stay away. It's gotten pretty ridiculous how much spin and hate the console is getting. I mean its pretty damn revolutionary handheld gaming technology. Only thing I can imagine why people would want to see it fail is to reassure them they aren't missing out/made the wrong purchase decision as it's not just simply fanboys saying this stuff (from what I can tell anyway).

Well said Famassu..been having some issues with people in the newer sony doom thread, should come in handy :) I should really stay away. It's gotten pretty ridiculous how much spin and hate the console is getting. I mean its pretty damn revolutionary handheld gaming technology. Only thing I can imagine why people would want to see it fail is to reassure them they aren't missing out/made the wrong purchase decision as it's not just simply fanboys saying this stuff (from what I can tell anyway).
Give it a rest, man. There are plenty of people who love the Vita (like myself) who are worried about the future of the system.

MAtgS

I keep saying this but i'm getting tired of the port moniker. Yes there are a couple companies that don't quite get it yet and are doing 3DS ports (looking at you Lego Batman 2) but alot of these games are just multiplatform games. They are pretty close or look just the same as console versions to me. People are automatically jumping to "well, why would I buy it twice" and its not that for me, it's i'm buying it once and for my Vita. My PS3 game list shrunk dramatically to only 2 games for the holiday season. And those are 2 games without Vita versions, Xcom and ZOE, and i'd be getting ZOE on vita if it was available. And how sweet would Xcom be on Vita with touchscreen.

I want the fidelity and immersion of a PS3 game but I want it on a handheld freeing up my TV. Thats how I view my Vita and I think if people would get off this "it needs handheld games and to compete with 3DS" bandwagon and see the Vita for what it is, try some of these games and see they are not stripped versions some attitudes would change. I was really tempted to get Rayman Origins for $10 on PS3 at BB this sunday but I realize I just wouldn't play it on my PS3 and would rather have it on Vita so I will wait.
"Why buy a new system for a game that's on a system I already own?" That's the port dilemma.

southsidewolf

Neo Member
Got me a cradle in Toronto while there last week (I live in Scotland). Really great, already ties the room together!

Looking forward to sound shapes, but less so than JSR and RCR. Picked up cheap Uncharted and Wipeout last week and really enjoying both. A quick glance at my Vita suggests that its backlog (including PSP and minis) is currently sitting at around 9 titles. Given that I'm yet to get Gravity Rush, I'm planning on playing MGS1 and FF 7 and 8 when PS1 support hits, and that one of those backlogged games is P3P I'm not really feeling this so called drought.

Undoubtedly the best launch line up ever, and without wanting to gush, maybe my favourite console ever. Trouble is, Sony's strategy of releasing loads on launch day (which should be seen as a good thing) is giving the snipers plenty of ammunition with comparatively few releases in recent weeks. Although as has already been said, where are the piles upon piles of weekly PS3, Xbox and Wii releases?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Official Vita cradle and AC adapter are going to be on sale at Best Buy next week for $5. Really been wanting to pick up the cradle, I just wasn't willing to pay $20 for it.

link

I just picked up a cradle in Hong Kong, it's great. Was about $15... cheap for us Aussies !

Got me a cradle in Toronto while there last week (I live in Scotland). Really great, already ties the room together!

you guys should get the knockoff/clone Cradle (not really)

I69Mu.jpg
dmBy9.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
Give it a rest, man. There are plenty of people who love the Vita (like myself) who are worried about the future of the system.

I didn't say worried, and clarified that it seemed to NOT be just fanboys...(which is what is worrying). I understand misinformation leads to worry. I meant people looking to see it fail like what is clear from their posts. Making assumptions and drawing conclusions that aren't there and ignoring context/sound arguements. It's fear mongering.

If you are worried due to sales numbers, that's fine. But there's no real need to as a consumer of a new Sony console. Maybe a year or two from now if things haven't changed. Given what's coming out, I find that extremely unlikely.

And no, we shouldn't give it a rest. This sort of negative, sensationalist publicity isn't doing the vita any favours in terms of sales. At least low sales are causing sony to provide even more for us owners though but the devs need the push. Grants or sale numbers..

kiyomi

Have I been missing on chats? Are we.. doing anything with that? Or were we being the Molyneux of Vitacasts?

Welcome! ^_^

Ponn

Banned
"Why buy a new system for a game that's on a system I already own?" That's the port dilemma.

Like I already said, because its a handheld PS3, in my hand, freeing up my TV and portable to boot. That may not be a reason for everyone but as people experience more and more it will be. Mark my words, you will have people mocking that saying whatever but as soon as Nintendo fans get a Wii U and start playing games on the pad only it will suddenly become "OMG!! Why didn't anyone else think about this its the future so awesome!!" Just because its a portable doesn't mean i'm required to only play it outside my house or the games have to be a specific type of quick play experiences. I would wager the majority of Vita and 3DS gaming is done at home, especially for GAF.

Skyzard

Banned
Spot on with my experience and sentiment as well Ponn01. But I'm sure a lot of people already appreciate that so many games suit handhelds better then consoles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom