• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxix Von

Arrrgh alright, fuck screen protectors. I just tried the hot shower trick and it almost worked. I tried peeling it back again to get after some dust straglers but only ended up getting dust on the back of the protector from the cleaning cloth. In hori's defense I kind of screwed up by touching the back of the protector with the cloth since that's where the dust was and I didn't have any tape on hand.

Fuck it, I'm doing this bareback.

Nothing pisses me off more than screen protectors. I remember why I don't use them.

Sol1dus

Sound Shape's Death Mode taunts me with silver trophies. X.X they weren't joking about the death part.Best part about the game is how enjoyable it is. You can breeze through the game just listening to the song. Then afterwards there's DM, in case you want a challenge.

PS: has TOM Blitz been glitching on you guys? Ever since that weird thing happened where a lot of people got a bunch of gems, mine says that "You haven't been online for more than 24hrs, you should log in to participate in tourneys..." but it doesn't give me the bonus gems for not playing for a day(even though I hadnt played it for a full 48hrs).

Toki767

Sound Shape's Death Mode taunts me with silver trophies. X.X they weren't joking about the death part.Best part about the game is how enjoyable it is. You can breeze through the game just listening to the song. Then afterwards there's DM, in case you want a challenge.

It's purely a game of luck really. Some stages don't give you enough time to keep going back and forth and you can only beat it if the notes randomly appear close to each other. That double platinum is nice though. Just sync up the other version after you platinum one and you get a free set of trophies.

Skyzard

Banned
You can't? Really...that is a bit lame as I imagine some of the best levels to play will eventually be user generated. I guess we can hope. Glad LBP is at least planning to add that as well. Quite looking forward to LBP. Never really played it after LBP1 but the more I hear and see of it the more I'm liking it.

Sol1dus

You can't? Really...that is a bit lame as I imagine some of the best levels to play will eventually be user generated. I guess we can hope. Glad LBP is at least planning to add that as well. Quite looking forward to LBP. Never really played it after LBP1 but the more I hear and see of it the more I'm liking it.

I wasnt impressed with the beta. But I'm hoping to be blown away by the game come Sept.

Hmmmm how resistant is the screen to scratching? I've never used screen protectors, but the system I just got had a loose screen protector that's still good to use hanging in the box.

I've always avoided using them since every time I've tried I end up applying them incorrectly and end up with tons of bubbles and dust trapped underneath. I'm usually pretty gentle with my handhelds.

Not sure about the natural screen's resistance to scratches; I never take that chance.
In my opinion (and I'm pretty picky about my screens always being pristine), the official Sony protectors are AMAZING. I got the starter kit which contains two of them and they're really high quality, on par with the Realook ones you can buy for smartphones (which I also consider the very best in that arena). There's literally no discernable evidence that it's on, aside from where you can see the edge. (See below).

As far as putting them on, I used to have that problem but I've finally perfected it..this is what I do. First, clean the screen thoroughly, preferably with an alchohol-based screen wipe, then dry it off with your microfiber cloth.
Turn your shower on hot and wait until the bathroom is super steamy. Go inside and close the door, and wait about 30 seconds then turn off the shower. Pull out your Vita and the screen should get some condensation on it right away..just wait until the condensation clears off naturally (don't wipe it while it's wet), then check to see if there's any bits of dust or anything on the screen. There shouldn't be due to the steam, but if there is just lightly dust it off. The Sony screens have a nice guide layer so it's easy to place them on properly; just follow the directions and you're good to go. There may be a few big bubbles, but there shouldn't be any hairs or dust particles, and it's really easy to wipe the bubbles out 100% by just gently pushing them towards the edge with your microfiber cloth.

A bit long winded but this method works for me every time, I've done it now about 7 times in a row without a SINGLE blemish on the screen when its all said and done.

Here's a picture of my Vita with the official Sony protector on..you can clearly see the edges of the protector but there's no dust or bubbles, it looks really nice.

Vita_screen.PNG

What's the general consensus on charging the Vita? Always charge it when the battery gets low, or run it totally dead every so often?

Try to charge it before it runs out. Frequently running lithium-ion batteries out completely is not healthy for them. They don't develop "memory" like the old days.

Nothing pisses me off more than screen protectors. I remember why I don't use them.

I've never been able to get them on cleanly either so I just don't bother. I just bought a hard case for my Vita and will just keep it in there when I'm not playing it.

I don't personally see that as being a problem as even Sound Shapes (~1 gb) took less than a minute to install. I personally believe the Vita handles downloads much better than the PS3 in that you can que stuff up and everything automatically downloads in the background.

I had several demos downloaded and when you turn on the screen they try to install one after the other. If you don't turn off the power-save first or sit there and wiggle the sticks while they install you run into the problem. BTW, the PS3 can queue up downloads AND install the games after they are downloaded without your intervention so it's still better than this. I really don't understand the thought that went into making you turn on the screen just to install what you've downloaded.

Skyzard

Banned
It doesn't cover the rest of it? A lot of my scratches have been really close to the edges of the device for some reason.../Hori ad

MooMoo

So I was considering Wipeout 2048 for that upcoming price cut and remembered something about bad loading times. Has that been relatively fixed?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Pretty keen to pick up Hot Shots Golf - am I right in assuming that if I buy an AU copy of the game, I can't play it online (I use a US account)? Could i purchase an online pass from the US store - or are they not compatible between regions?

Reason I ask is that it's cheaper to get the game here and buy an online pass for it, than to buy direct from the US PSN store.

SharkJAW

So I was considering Wipeout 2048 for that upcoming price cut and remembered something about bad loading times. Has that been relatively fixed?

They're better than they were at launch, but they're still not ideal. First-time loading can take around 40 seconds give or take, I'd say, and reloading can be done within 15 seconds. Admittedly, I haven't played it for a month or two, so my estimates might be a bit off.

MooMoo

Its cut in half, still pretty bad its about 30 seconds for a race or so

They're better than they were at launch, but they're still not ideal. First-time loading can take around 40 seconds give or take, I'd say, and reloading can be done within 15 seconds. Admittedly, I haven't played it for a month or two, so my estimates might be a bit off.
Thanks. I suppose I'll still bite on it, assuming that the sale applies to the PSN store too. Wanted to hold off of getting a 32GB memory card for as long as possible but my 8GB is totally strapped for space now.

Sorry to interrupt your sound shapes love - but mannnnnn FUCK death on P3P. That dude keeps harassing me whenever I grind on a level too long for his taste. Asshole I was getting extra items on that floor!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Sid said:
Damn that would suck so bad
Not sure why - for instance Plasmas have residual ghost image in complete dark(similar brightness to OLED light leaks) - even after you turn them off. So did CRTs for that matter (although that looked different).
And of course LCDs have clouding, which is typically limited to large TVs (I can't say I've really noticed it on smaller displays), so it's hardly like TV users are used to displays without imperfections when displaying solid colors.

Also if you put an OLED screen next to an LCD (both displaying black) in pitch darkness, LCD is like a torchlight strong enough to obscure the OLED blotches as well.

Captain N

so I have a Vita site and haven't really taken very good care of it lately. Looking to change that and even launching a Vita Podcast on the site. Anyone here be interested in co-hosting it?

Toki767

Damn I'm ass at sound shapes. Is the key to high score collecting notes and not dying? or is it level completion time?

There is no scoring...the leaderboards is just based on collecting all the notes and completion time. Obviously the less you die, the faster you complete a level.

Kafel

Banned
so I have a Vita site and haven't really taken very good care of it lately. Looking to change that and even launching a Vita Podcast on the site. Anyone here be interested in co-hosting it?

what's your website ? (PM the link if you don't want to post it here)

There is no scoring...the leaderboards is just based on collecting all the notes and completion time. Obviously the less you die, the faster you complete a level.

I see. I retried the first level a couple times and I still can't get it under a min. I guess I'm just ass tier at platformers. Some people have times around 44 secs! Crazy shit.

Snowballo

Three questions concerning Sound Shapes:

1. Is it out on PSN Store PAL?
2. Price?
3. Do you play it with touch, analog stricks or both?

Thanks.

P.S.
No Retro City Rampage yet right?

Tratorn

Three questions concerning Sound Shapes:

1. Is it out on PSN Store PAL?
2. Price?
3. Do you play it with touch, analog stricks or both?

Thanks.

P.S.
No Retro City Rampage yet right?

1. No, its coming next week
2. 12.99€ ( 20% less for ps+-members for a limited time)
3. analog-sticks (but it has some optional touch features)

And yes, no RCR yet. :(

demigod

Damn I'm getting hand cramps, hopefully the Nyko Power Grip I just ordered will fix it.

In other news, just found out that Amazon now charges me tax in Texas and I just renewed Prime a few months ago, FML. Guess I'll be buying from Newegg more from now on.

Dear god the negativity around the Vita is downright depressing.

Like anything, just enjoy what you enjoy and don't allow other people to influence what you enjoy.

I'm loving the shit out of my Vita and already feel I've got my money's worth.

Also, the best PSP I've owned... a bonus (to me).

Dear god the negativity around the Vita is downright depressing.

And it's all of Sony's own making.

I love the vita, by far the best handheld I've owned but there's no denying the future is looking bleak. Very few third party titles, little interest from Sony themselves to port/release new entries from their premier franchises and a pretty lackluster release schedule post release that still hasn't improved to any great degree.

They haven't even given owners a glimmer of hope, showcase what's to come in the new year, but we get nothing...instead we wait. They'll have a blowout at E3, oh wait. They'll have a blowout at Gamescom - to be seen. They'll have a blowout at TGS - we can only hope.

It's hard not to be negative.

And it's all of Sony's own making.

I think it's mostly GAF, to be honest.

I love the vita, by far the best handheld I've owned but there's no denying the future is looking bleak.

Not really.

They'll have a blowout at E3, oh wait.

While they didn't give it a lot of attention at the conference, there were still some 30+ titles on the show floor.

They'll have a blowout at Gamescom - to be seen.

Yes, next week. Though I don't think we'll likely see that much new titles announced, but we'll finally see some titles that have been announced before be playable.

They'll have a blowout at TGS - we can only hope.

I don't know what is happening in Japan, but I have a feeling Sony will want to have some big stuff there even if just out of pride (home turf and all).

It's hard not to be negative.

Actually, it's not. Love the system, best first year I've had for a system so far, and completely happy with it. If the system continues as it does now, it will do great once the price is right. By that time, there will already be plenty of good games, and more will follow.

I was at gamescom last year trying the Vita in 2011, and I'll be at gamescom again this year. I can't believe that last year when I tried the Vita it was still half a year out, and now the Vita's been out for nearly half a year and I've got this insane amount of games and hours I've put into it already, so yeah, I find it hard not to be positive.

The only thing i'm negative at this point is Sony information policy -
would it freaking hurt them to release a trailer or two of incoming games on vita store each week? Or to annouce some games they will be releasing in 2013 ?

And for god's sake make a good browser.

How is the future not looking bleak?

What's 'must have' title/s are coming to vita this year? Ass Creed, while looking good will be completely overshadowed by its console partner, same goes for CoD.

what's left? Small digital titles will only get you so far and they certainly won't sell the handheld to the mases. PS1 support might reinvigorate it for a while, so long as support is wide and not limited to a handful of titles.

Finding it very hard to believe anyone can be positive when the facts show there's a very bleak future ahead, unless of course you choose to ignore this fact and live in blissful ignorance.

Sound Shapes is such a blast. I'm working on a level right now that I like to think has some potential but it'll be awhile before I'm ready to show it to the world. ;)

Sticks? For a 2D platformer? That sucks.
I generally agree with this but there are times when I prefer a stick. Super Meat Boy comes to mind. Then again that might just be due to the 360's terrible d-pad. :p

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

What's 'must have' title/s are coming to vita this year? Ass Creed, while looking good will be completely overshadowed by its console partner, same goes for CoD.

what's left? Small digital titles will only get you so far and they certainly won't sell the handheld to the mases. PS1 support might reinvigorate it for a while, so long as support is wide and not limited to a handful of titles.

Finding it very hard to believe anyone can be positive when the facts show there's a very bleak future ahead, unless of course you choose to ignore this fact and live in blissful ignorance.

If you want to parrot Vita's bleakness which we've all read a thousand times over there's a million other threads in which to do so. Don't go shitting this thread up with it.

If you want to parrot Vita's bleakness which we've all read a thousand times over there's a million other threads in which to do so. Don't go shitting this thread up with it.

Discussion of the vita and its future in its official thread is off limits? You don't consider it a valid discussion point?

What next...PS1 support doesn't appear by the end of the Summer and we're not allowed to complain as it's being negative or 'shitting up the thread'?

But fair enough, let's not post anything but positive comments and ignore everything else.

Beast780

This is a doom and gloom free thread. This is a thread for advice for Vita owners thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom