• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast780

anyhow i'd like to have your opinion guys.

while i do have every other console from last gen i didn't get a psp.
now i'm really tempted about buying one to play all those amazing rpgs, but on the other hand i'd love to play them on the vita oled screen.

problem is i don't have the money to afford a psvita at the current price, what should i do?
buy now the psp and later the psvita? if i do buy the psp street can i somehow buy the games digitally so that i don't have to buy them again when i get the vita?

If you can't afford one now, start saving up money and get one around December, that way you'll be in the clear if they drop the price. If they don't, pick a bundle that speaks to you, get the best value for your buck. From my experience I recommend PS Vita over PSP because it's the worlds best PSP player to begin with. There will also likely be some Vita games you'll want to pick up as well.

I'm starting to think that Sony needs to consider dropping the price to get more units in the wild. Maybe a $50 when Call of Duty drops?

Skyzard

Banned
Tbh I thought it would be reassuring for vita owners. They're a big company, with a bit of losses recently.. but games are only 5% of the company. PSP ended up selling pretty well. Quite a nice chunk. Don't think they'll drop it as quick as people think. The market is there, they just got to learn to tap it, I'm sure with time - shame they don't have the money to push too much at the moment. Seems like it may be a bit of a slow and steady ride but I'm more than happy with what I've bought and what is coming anyway.

Never heard of knytt underground before, apparently coming to vita: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t951bQ5Wiw (platformer) - might not be the best video.

looks like it started off as a homebrew ds game : http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/27/knytt-goes-underground-emerges-on-ps3-vita-and-more-this-year/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
In reality... part of the reason I GOT a vita is because it doesn't have an army of games.

I already have a 360, and I love XBLA, Retail, and XBLIG. I've just recently gotten into Steam sales on occassion, and that service throws games at you as if they're worthless. These all can take up loads of time, and are what I'm playing when I'm around the house, and wanna join friends.

But the Vita... it's got a few exclusives I wanna play (Gravity Rush, Ragnarok), and, I'm happy with that. A good game can last a month + if you want it too, and if it doesn't, there's loads of cheap minis and otherwise downloadable stuff to get lost in, especially from PSPs library.

And having had a PSP, I can play between my PSP and Vita for one purchase, which makes some of the PSN prices not-so-bad. Getting basically 2 copies of Gods Eater Burst for 20 bucks was perfectly great.

I DO think the Vita needs to bolster it's entry-level options, though. Making one buy a seperate memory card is incredibly dumb, and a variety of pack-in games would really help a lot. (At least the AssaCreed thing is coming...) They should take a note from the DS "Ambassadors" dealing. And should really find a method to make the shift from PSP to Vita more plesant. ( I hate losing access to all my psp UMD game library.)

However, having watched the DS go through it's first years, and then the 3DS, I expect portables to take some time to hit their stride, and enjoy the few gems that are playable along the way. The PSP and Mini library is a great padding, for now, though, and wonderful stuff like the RPGs from Atlus and Xseed that are PSP / Vita new are very welcome.

The Doom and Gloom just seems exaggerated for now.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
If you want a Vita and can't wait for the probable pricedrop coming, you can always try the Amazon Warehouse. Several GAFfers went that route with good results.

If you want a Vita and can't wait for the probable pricedrop coming, you can always try the Amazon Warehouse. Several GAFfers went that route with good results.

I did this. Got a wifi model for $160; only thing not brand new was the damaged box. Everything else was like a gift from portable gaming nirvana. :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm getting a 3DS for $100. Can anyone here confirm if that's a good deal?

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012
??

Guys who getting the 3DS,There are other threads for 3DS and full of 3DS owners who can help you go and post in them guys, keep this thread for Vita talk and giving advices to old/new Vita owners about Vita(like what this fucking thread was supposed to be originally)seriously.

Verelios

^No harm, no foul. I personally don't mind if they want to expand their discussion because it all comes back to Vita talk anyway.

On that account, has anyone here gotten their hand on Gungir, and if so can I get some impressions from what you thought about it?

I think I'll put a check point after you get the top note. That way you don't need to keep going back up to get it, but there's still enough challenge with the cluster on the starting screen. Sorry, I hope it didn't make you as frustrated as I was with Death Mode last night.

I managed to get 3 or 4. But like you said, it's purely luck. You have to hope the notes spawn close to each other.

I was mostly pulling your chain! =) It's a fun level and it's nowhere near as bad as Death Mode. Those levels had me raging!

But I had to tease you about it because I could totally picture you making that level looking like a mad scientist. lol!

Yopis

anyhow i'd like to have your opinion guys.

while i do have every other console from last gen i didn't get a psp.
now i'm really tempted about buying one to play all those amazing rpgs, but on the other hand i'd love to play them on the vita oled screen.problem is i don't have the money to afford a psvita at the current price, what should i do?

I would wait and grab a Vita down the line.

Sol1dus

??

Guys who getting the 3DS,There are other threads for 3DS and full of 3DS owners who can help you go and post in them guys, keep this thread for Vita talk and giving advices to old/new Vita owners about Vita(like what this fucking thread was supposed to be originally)seriously.

Well, I didn't want to go to a 3DS thread where it would be biased. Just wanted to know what people here would say, since I know most of the people now and they own a Vita like me. Sorry. Damn.

zroid

Banned

??

Oh, leave him alone :p

This is more like a Vita owners community thread than a laser-focused Vita discussion thread anyway. It just happens to be in the Gaming forum because we're awesome.

AppleBlade

man . . . just finished reading the NPD thread . . . friggin depressing for our little baby. I hope Sony hangs tough and gives the Vita a proper 4-5 year cycle.

Already bought my games lol. Just waiting on the launch now. SM3DL, Tales of the Abyss, KH: DDD, Threatrhythm, OoT3D, Pokemon Conquest, and KI Uprising.

With the Vita all I had to look forward to this year was Little Big Planet... *sigh*

Should add Resident Evil Revelations to your "must" list. It's great. I too am getting the XL next weekend as well.

Here is my advice for your earlier Vita thoughts:

Don't sell it off. Eventually something will arrive on the platform, you'll wish you'd had kept the system. Why spend more to eventually rebuy it? Just wait until the big announcements (if there are any), PS1 and Assassins Creed/LBP/P4:TG arrive to make decisions. I'm sure the Vita will shape up. I hope.

But I'll tell you, 3DS is not bad. It's a great system and has great games. Enjoy both systems in harmony.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well, I didn't want to go to a 3DS thread where it would be biased. Just wanted to know what people here would say, since I know most of the people now and they own a Vita like me. Sorry. Damn.

Sorry,I should've multi quoted some posts and not just since the last three pages were almost all 3DS talk it wasn't just you. sorry again.

Oh, leave him alone :p

This is more like a Vita owners community thread than a laser-focused Vita discussion thread anyway. It just happens to be in the Gaming forum because we're awesome.

Hmmmm, didn't know that, well then if this thread is for the few hardcore fans and not for the new owners and giving Vita recommendation or for talking about new software and such,then I think this thread need to go to the community section.

Emitan

its almost the same...

634147515.jpg

JFunky

Lots of gloom and doom with the new NPD numbers. Hopefully Sony can find a way to turn it around. I use my vita almost daily , would hate to see it fizzle out in the next year or two. On the plus side I have a ton of games still to play, not to mention PSP games that I never got around to, so I'll get my money's worth out of it.

Yes, it's well worth the $100.00, easy. The libary has grown immensely. Make sure it's in good condition, enjoy the cool tech and acclimate to 3D slowly. Don't go full blast, off the bat. Start lower and work up to full, eventually you'll be using max 3D with no issue. The sweet spot also becomes second nature.

My 2 cents.

Vita wise, should I get Sound Shapes or Escape Plan?

SS kinda looks appealing, but it almost looks so indie/hipster/trendy that it turns me off....is the game highbrow? I'm not trying to be insulting at all, not my intent, by my above statement for SS. The game just looks --- dunno ---

Escape plan looks unique, but kinda like it could be repetitive in feel throughout....

Help me out guys?

Sol1dus

Yes, it's well worth the $100.00, easy. The libary has grown immensely. Make sure it's in good condition, enjoy the cool tech and acclimate to 3D slowly. Don't go full blast, off the bat. Start lower and work up to full, eventually you'll be using max 3D with no issue. The sweet spot also becomes second nature.

My 2 cents.

SS kinda looks appealing, but it almost looks so indie/hipster/trendy that it turns me off....is the game highbrow? I'm not trying to be insulting at all, not my intent, by my above statement for SS. The game just looks --- dunno ---

Escape plan looks unique, but kinda like it could be repetitive in feel throughout....

Help me out guys?

While I don't have Escape Plan yet (played the demo before I bought the Vita though), I feel like Sound Shapes is more enjoyable. However, Escape Plan got patched so maybe all the gripes I had with it went away. I think SS gives a good bang for the buck. The music alone will get you hooked. The platforming is relatively easy and isn't punishing, yet it offers death mode (a kind of challenge mode, with ~20challenges I believe) after you beat the game.

zroid

Banned
I was about to complain about how bad the swimming controls in Rayman Origins are... and then I realized that it's easier to use the analogue stick. Soooooooooooo much better!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
My 2 cents.

Help me out guys?

get Sound Shapes

but it almost looks so indie/hipster/trendy that it turns me off

lol

Kazerei

Banned
I was about to complain about how bad the swimming controls in Rayman Origins are... and then I realized that it's easier to use the analogue stick. Soooooooooooo much better!

I found myself using the d-pad in Rayman Origins too, even for swimming. I'm not sure how I managed to get by some of those narrow swimming sections, but I did. The d-pad just felt more responsive, especially since there's a dedicated run button. Being limited to 8 directions wasn't much of a problem.

Thank god the Vita's d-pad is comfortable to use.

zroid

Banned
I found myself using the d-pad in Rayman Origins too, even for swimming. I'm not sure how I managed to get by some of those narrow swimming sections, but I did. The d-pad just felt more responsive, especially since there's a dedicated run button. Being limited to 8 directions wasn't much of a problem.

Thank god the Vita's d-pad is comfortable to use.

Heh, I was grinding my teeth the entire time until I tried the stick. Love the d-pad but using it for swimming was a hellish experience.

---

GRRR Vita just crashed on me for the first time. During Rayman :(

I'm actually thinking about selling mine. The only game in the foreseeable future that interests me is Dragon's Crown, and I can just play that on my PS3.

^I never sell my consoles.

This update thats coming, it better be big. Where the hell is PS Mobile, the Store should be filled with little indie games.

Sony needs to go full on NEC with this. The PC Engine Super CD had a ton of borderline hentai games. Open up that flood gate and ambush Japan with some poontastic pussy power games. That'll hold it off for a year or so. Use that time to release real games.

daoster

^That is depressing, its like Sony dont care. :(

They practically don't. I mean the Conference in E3 should have told you that. They're more interested in wasting 10 minutes showing useless Move toys!

I don't regret buying my Vita at all, but the way Sony has gone about this system...it really irks me.

Sid

Who is expecting gamescom to have only one vita announcement along with killzone vita's gameplay and then being ignored again like e3?

^That is depressing, its like Sony dont care. :(

Doing panic moves in summer would be stupid anyway and for September and later they got some nice games planned so i don't see what they are supposed to do right now.

Even if they have price cut planned they can't tell it before 30 Aug as that would backstab sega and special Miku Limited edition sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom