• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Managed to get my screen protector on with only one dust particle on it. Feel much better now, as I am super scared of scratching screens like this. Also, I like the feel of the HORI silicone case, makes me feel like the vita won't slip out of my hands.

MGS2 trophies begin tonight!

Same -- I have 1 air bubble in my screen, but you can't see it 95% of the time; the Hori case is good, my issue is with fighters and using the d-pad; you can push the case out of the way and it's distracting. :(

Mondriaan

LBP has never become a big seller, we can't say that it helped the PS3 when that system was struggling. I don't think that things will change for the Vita iteration. Still it will be welcome to those who like the series.
No single game is going to save any system for more than several weeks. I think MH was important to the PSP in Japan, but I'm not particularly convinced that it "saved" the PSP there.

From what I heard LBP has been extremely profitable as far as its DLC is concerned, so I don't think that sales numbers are the end-all as far as the series is concerned.

Skyzard

Banned
There are still a lot of things Sony can do so no need to think it's stuck in the mud.

*Drop memory card prices significantly [before christmas would be nice]
*Keep up the PSN sales
*Get a decent trailer for Vita COD asap
*New titles:
- Resident Evil
- God of War
- Tony Hawk / SSX or even cool boarders

Couple that with all-stars, SFxT, cod, AC, LBP and bioshock and those other popular japanese games coming out soon and it may just give it the kickstart it needs.

It seems they can't afford another MGS or FF atm, hence the PS2 ports (appreciated here anyway) but they could still rely on some of the other regulars and start filling in those genre gaps with some updated games otherwise it won't take over the PSP for a long time to come. Needs to choose the ones the vita really needs and go after them.

- Killzone
- Infamous
- Tekken
- Motorstorm
- If NFS MW turns out to be good that would help
- I'd also love Warhawk but Ace Combat would do
- Devil May Cry may do really well on vita and be a nice break from GoW, which quite a few vita owners might have already picked up again from the psp section on psn
- Max Payne sort of games would be great as well

- Reviving crash bandicoot as a vita exclusive would be so worthwhile imo as well as it will appeal to an older, richer generation and give it a 3d platformer with a very memorable name - perfect for handhelds these days. Sly Cooper is going to be great and all but think about all the people who know crash. It might not be a system seller but like angry birds, will capture many eyes as a bonus. Each bonus helps push people who are holding off a little to make the plunge.

With those catalogue gaps filled (don't know much about the missing rpgs) we would be alright without a new GTA, GT, FF, MH and MGS for a while especially with the FFX port coming out and ps1 support.

New IPs like Gravity Rush are nice but unless they can keep pumping out insanely good ones to convince people to take the plunge without the regular titles to fall back on, I'd expect only a few of those due to the risk with them.

I imagine it would take a few years to get most of that so there is still a wait but who knows, Sony might speed things up. At least we won't actually care too much for the next few months...but there are plenty of things left to do before you would say the Vita died/doomed. Makes sense more people wait till they need to upgrade (grab a psp/hold off) given how poor most gamers are these days. Lots of ways to make them 'need' it still though. Make them see how appealing it is (or will be) and give them a reasonable opportunity to buy it.

With a flood of adverts pushing the idea of handheld console experience after this and continually improving the vita, there really wouldn't be much else Sony could do. It's good enough for me but if it get's all that and doesn't take off, I'd be disappointed in gamers [unless their adverts were just shit and didn't do it justice]. It needs to be not just the usual weird viral stuff but really explaining and establishing the vita experience. Part of that is play at home, I really think making an official handle grip accessory for the vita would help drive this home - loads play on their couches/beds etc.

If they are convinced there isn't a market for their wonderful product they won't invest so much so quickly. Need to keep up requests..

I reckon they are just outside the gates and a big push once it is established could lead to a flood of sales for the vita. It's the best handheld and with enough games it can rival any platform for whole gaming experience. I believe people generally could be convinced that freedom to game away from the TV (given the hardware), is more than enough to make up for the console edge. Wouldn't be great for their PS3 but I doubt PS4 would be too affected. I'm sure Sony have faith in their method and products as well and I expect them to try most of it before throwing in the towel and abandoning handhelds altogether (which would effectively happen given their credibility would be gone).

In a way this is a better situation for early adopters (us) to be in as there is a lot of pressure on Sony to deliver more reasons to buy the vita. Tough times but a great product, gotta get the message across one way or the other. Sorry for mega-post, leftover feelings from yesterdays Sony is super broke -> nah actually not too bad roller coaster. Went back to my previous position of too early to tell and give it a few years. Should be pretty damn good in the mean time anyway imo.

Vossler

I'm really hoping that next week they announce the ps1 classics. I feel like Sony is also missing out by not having ps2 classics on the system either. Even though I am currently playing through FFXII on pcsx2 (which looks amazing btw), I would still pay to have it on the go. I'm certain there are many gamers out there who would love to have their favorite ps2 classics on the go, and would certainly not think twice about paying....(myself included).

Ponn

Banned
I'm really hoping that next week they announce the ps1 classics. I feel like Sony is also missing out by not having ps2 classics on the system either. Even though I am currently playing through FFXII on pcsx2 (which looks amazing btw), I would still pay to have it on the go. I'm certain there are many gamers out there who would love to have their favorite ps2 classics on the go, and would certainly not think twice about paying....(myself included).

You are my new BFF. I can't wait to turn my Vita into a FF game machine with a side of Tactics Ogre and Disgaea 3.

And i'm not saying I don't want FFX HD, but i'd rather have the best FF game ever, FFXII, in a HD remaster for PS3/Vita.

kuroshiki

You are my new BFF. I can't wait to turn my Vita into a FF game machine with a side of Tactics Ogre and Disgaea 3.

And i'm not saying I don't want FFX HD, but i'd rather have the best FF game ever, FFXII, in a HD remaster for PS3/Vita.

You mean the only FF game besides 14 that was finished half -assed?

Ponn

Banned

Half assed? No idea what you are talking about, felt pretty damn complete to me. Hunt system and extra espers added great post-game play. For PS2 the graphics were pushed to their max and the world was beautiful to explore. Loved the gambit system. It was set in Ivalice, best setting and the Judges were a great addition to FF lore. Game shows it was designed with alot of love for it.

Beast780

I really enjoyed the battle system of FFXII and not having to deal with random encounters, I wouldn't mind playing it on the go. Maybe being able to play it at my leisure I'd finish it this time.

I am really looking forward to trying the Madden 13 demo next week. I know it's Madden 12.5, but if the gameplay is alright I'd take the Madden 12 feature set. After Fifa I have hope.

I really enjoyed the battle system of FFXII and not having to deal with random encounters, I wouldn't mind playing it on the go. Maybe being able to play it at my leisure I'd finish it this time.

I am really looking forward to trying the Madden 13 demo next week. I know it's Madden 12.5, but if the gameplay is alright I'd take the Madden 12 feature set. After Fifa I have hope.

FFXII is too many gigabytes.

Got a nice deal for a vita on craigslist . System + 2 games (traded in for $40) and 4GB card for $160. Not many games I want for it at the moment but I know there is a Ys game coming out for it which I may be interested in.

Are these screen protectors on ebay any good?
http://tinyurl.com/9twaebw
http://tinyurl.com/9kwtev2

$1 shipped is nothing but no point if they are garbage.

He means one of the best FF games ever made.

Skyzard

Banned
@Green Card - the second of those ebay screen protectors has 'mirror reflective' in the title. I don't know if they are all like this but I remember my friend had one for his iPhone and it made the colours come out horribly. I recommend HORI's, I've read good things about the official Sony one too. Not sure about the first link.

My FFXII and XIII are still sealed..will unwrap after done with one or more of those ff7/8/9 that I grabbed during the sale...just waiting on that ps1 support to make a start. Heard people say probably possible to transfer saves but what if...not worth the let down right.

New Sine Mora Shots - a couple more at the link.

psv-game-6170-ssm6.jpg

psv-game-6170-ssm5.jpg

psv-game-6170-ssm8.jpg

psv-game-6170-ssm7.jpg

Definitely looking forward to this. Space shooter for 2 bux isn't bad for now, I keep forgetting I own that.

E3 Gameplay for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyVsL-Gir_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u46yPR6JySs <--- very cool

Vossler

While Matsuno did leave halfway through, the world and gameplay was set. Granted the story fell apart towards the end, but hunting for marks and collecting weapons was/is awesome. Also the characters (minus penelo and vaan) were awesome. You should give it another try, ESPECIALLY ON PCSX2. I even have the config file if need be!

You're right on Ponn!

Erm, so JSR is coming out on 10/16. A month after all the other versions.

I thought the game was complete. Maybe the reports of MS cockblocking were overblown? In any case, crowded October becomes more crowded :-/

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Erm, so JSR is coming out on 10/16. A month after all the other versions.

I thought the game was complete. Maybe the reports of MS cockblocking were overblown? In any case, crowded October becomes more crowded :-/
It's ridiculous. Jet Set Radio HD has been shown on the Vita and it was one of the platforms they kept showing it off on, so I really don't understand why the release date is pushed back, and I can't think of any logical reason to do so, unless the Vita version isn't finished. I thought porting from the PS3 to the Vita was supposed to be relatively easy though, so maybe the month will be spent, um...adding touchscreen controls.

Probably already known here, but whatever (price reductions for all memory cards on Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JKASCK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Thanks for the link. I think I'll spring on the 16 GB card.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm still debating the 3DS version or the Vita version, what do you guys think? I'll probably go with the Vita version if only to add to Vitas software sales!
I thought the game looked really good in the Japanese Vita demo, and I sold my 3DS, so I'll be opting for the Vita version. There wasn't any visible aliasing and the resolution made everything look really sharp, and I was actually a bit stunned by how good it looked. That said, the 3DS might do something cool with the dual screens, and for a game like this, a better interface would beat out trophies and visuals.

zroid

Banned
That said, the 3DS might do something cool with the dual screens, and for a game like this, a better interface would beat out trophies and visuals.

The main thing for me would be if they removed all the text and junk from the top screen, because one of my biggest gripes with VNs is when you have this stuff always cluttering up the "visual".

But if the 3DS version doesn't do that, I'll get it on Vita, I think.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The main thing for me would be if they removed all the text and junk from the top screen, because one of my biggest gripes with VNs is when you have this stuff always cluttering up the "visual".

But if the 3DS version doesn't do that, I'll get it on Vita, I think.
All the dialogue will still be on the top screen though, right? I imagine it would be jarring to put the text on the bottom screen with the images on the top screen because you'd be looking back and forth between a 3D and non 3D screen.

Ugh I want so many of these for my Vita, I was thinking of passing up Zero Escape but I might just throw my money at it. Wait... they're localizing Under Defeat in Europe too? >.> I might have to do more importing than I thought (I'll probably import a physical copy of New King's Story).

zroid

Banned
All the dialogue will still be on the top screen though, right? I imagine it would be jarring to put the text on the bottom screen with the images on the top screen because you'd be looking back and forth between a 3D and non 3D screen.

Actually, if anything it would probably be more difficult for me to read dialogue on the top screen when placed above a 3D image (harder to focus).

But iirc the most recent line of text is going to be on the top screen, yes.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Actually, if anything it would probably be more difficult for me to read dialogue on the top screen when placed above a 3D image (harder to focus).

But iirc the most recent line of text is going to be on the top screen, yes.
Oh, I wasn't thinking about that. The three 3DS games I played (Super Mario 3D Land, Devil Survivor: Overclocked, and Kid Icarus: Uprising) didn't have much 3D text, so I never encountered that problem. Does Virtue's Last Reward have voice-acting?

Razgreez

Bought a (equivalent) $60 card last week just as a backup in case i felt the need to purchase some stuff in a too good to miss sale. Ended up spending it all on GTA CTW, VCS, Everybody's Golf, Escape plan and WipeOut 2048... in 10 mins. I am so weak

Iacobellis

Bought a (equivalent) $60 card last week just as a backup in case i felt the need to purchase some stuff in a too good to miss sale. Ended up spending it all on GTA CTW, VCS, Everybody's Golf, Escape plan and WipeOut 2048... in 10 mins. I am so weak

Should have gotten Sound Shapes instead of Escape Plan!

kiyomi

On the flip side, you have a ton of good games to play. :)

I haven't played GR or Rayman for like a week. Sniffle.

Was really pumped when I saw the price for JSR Vita, but the release date, come on guys. Guess it'll just have to wait. Still, I'll be buying day one.

Kyon

Banned
Hey we are finally getting more release dates. It's safe to say in October NONE of you will say "I got no gamez"

I've got my eye on 6 PS360 games, 6 Vita games, and probably a few Steam/PSN/XBLA games. I guess it's gonna be worth it to get great games and probably for Vita sales, but my wallet weeps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom