• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakeon

Anyone have any idea how to fix an error thats telling me could not download over and over? It keeps going at a really sluggish pace and then eventually stops saying Could not Download (E-80431068)

It's for Soundshapes.

Haliela

in the NPD thread they're saying Vita sold less then 50k in July, let's enjoy these last days my friends :(

I know I'm buying a 3DS XL next weekend when it launches here in the US. I told myself I would never do it, but the Vita is so damn depressing at this point I can't help myself. I'm even thinking of jumping ship completely and selling this thing before it's worth as much as a paper weight.

I know I'm buying a 3DS XL next weekend when it launches here in the US. I told myself I would never do it, but the Vita is so damn depressing at this point I can't help myself. I'm even thinking of jumping ship completely and selling this thing before it's worth as much as a paper weight.

so am I, very excited to get a 3DS XL, it actually has strong 1st party support, not just 1st party ports. I won't be selling my Vita though, got it for $75 at launch so it's not worth it

Haliela

so am I, very excited to get a 3DS XL, it actually has strong 1st party support, not just 1st ports. I won't be selling my Vita though, got it for $75 at launch so it's not worth it

Already bought my games lol. Just waiting on the launch now. SM3DL, Tales of the Abyss, KH: DDD, Threatrhythm, OoT3D, Pokemon Conquest, and KI Uprising.

With the Vita all I had to look forward to this year was Little Big Planet... *sigh*

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
We need a gaming heaven sooner or later...

I really doubt there will be one soon because they'll have gamescom and then TGS(which is for Japan too)so unless Vita heaven 2 is just pre show for TGS or to re-announcing what they will announce in gamescom then I just don't see it happening for now.

Already bought my games lol. Just waiting on the launch now. SM3DL, Tales of the Abyss, KH: DDD, Threatrhythm, OoT3D, Pokemon Conquest, and KI Uprising.

With the Vita all I had to look forward to this year was Little Big Planet... *sigh*

got 4 3DS games already in prep, still need to get RE and Nintendo has NSMB2, Paper Mario coming this year

for Vita, LBP Vita and Ass Creed are the only Vita only titles I can think of coming AT ALL that interest me.

Sony decided to not put it's 1st party resources behind this thing and it's going to be dead in less then an year

Haliela

got 4 3DS games already in prep, still need to get RE and Nintendo has NSMB2, Paper Mario coming this year

for Vita, LBP Vita and Ass Creed are the only Vita only titles I can think of coming AT ALL that interest me.

Sony decided to not put it's 1st party resources behind this thing and it's going to be dead in less then an year

Definitely grabbing NSMB2 with the XL. That's going to be one helluva Sunday. Paper Mario should be amazing if it's anything like the previous titles.

Ass Creed Liberation interested me slightly, but it launches the same day as the console release. Persona 4 has my interest, but I've already owned that on PS2. The Vita has almost no compelling software and the company behind it doesn't give a shit.

ZeroAKA

It's just the opposite for me. There are a lot of Vita games I'm looking forward to this year. I know for sure I'm going to buy a 3DS at some point, but there just aren't many 3DS games I want right now. Maybe the next revision...

I am beginning to see this as inevitable. The platform seems to have failed to gain any traction in the marketplace. :(
If Sony doesn't cut the price this fall, pack in a memory card and a game or two, and blast the airwaves with a massive wave of Vita ads, then I think we can conclude they deem it a dead platform as well. The thing desperately needs a total relaunch.

Can't believe how badly they've handled this. Especially after getting the hardware so very, very, very right.

:-(

If Sony doesn't cut the price this fall, pack in a memory card and a game or two, and blast the airwaves with a massive wave of Vita ads, then I think we can conclude they deem it a dead platform as well. The thing desperately needs a total relaunch.

Can't believe how badly they've handled this. Especially after getting the hardware so very, very, very right.

that's the saddest part, for me the hardware is the perfect, my favorite handheld ever, but without software it's a beautiful paper weight

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
You guys, there's still a chance that it'll get some support. Have faith. I can't be the king of a thread for a dead handheld. :(

The hardware is right, but I just don't think there is a market for it. It's an awesome machine for a non-existent consumer.

Yopis

The hardware is right, but I just don't think there is a market for it. It's an awesome machine for a non-existent consumer.

Tons of people got burnt with psp. Think that plays into things. Awesome device.....people said same thing about PS3 . Hopefully by tgs things will clear up.

Tons of people got burnt with psp. Think that plays into things. Awesome device.....people said same thing about PS3 . Hopefully by tgs things will clear up.

PS3 was following up the most successful console in history so consumers had more faith, the Vita is following up the PSP which sold well overall but had shit software support (thanks to piracy)

Skyzard

Banned
If Sony let it die it would mean the end of their reputation in the handheld department. They're too invested to let that happen and despite losses they still have over *70 billion dollars in the bank. They said they estimated 3 years to break even, even if it was 4 or 5, the market is too big to let go of their future credibility - especially as technology improves and becomes cheaper, or worse yet open a window for microsoft.

Nothing to worry about, especially considering the potential of the gorgeous tech you own. Remind me how many games wouldn't suit the vita?

Time.

The PSP wasn't bad but like Ken M. said, piracy took over it. The Vita can do much better.

Yopis

PS3 was following up the most successful console in history, the Vita is following up the PSP which sold well overall but had shit software support (thanks to piracy)

True......hope to see some great games planned for the future love the device. Done talking about sales get enough of that in other threads. This along with Witcher 2 are the main things I look at on gaf these days.

nickcv

If Sony let it die it would mean the end of their reputation in the handheld department. They're too invested to let that happen and despite losses they still have over a billion dollars in the bank. They said they estimated 3 years to break even, even if it was 4 or 5, the market is too big to let go of their future credibility, or worse yet open a window for microsoft.

Nothing to worry about, especially considering the potential of the gorgeous tech you own. Remind me how many games wouldn't suit the vita?

Time.

i don't think sony will let it die, but if they do it would be because they are leaving the handheld market. no chance they'd try this again.

which is a shame, competition is good

I tell you what. If vita goes belly up, I'm finished with portables. 3ds is not a good alternative to me. I got burnt at launch and was an ambassador. I didn't like the hardware and the 3d is headache inducing for me, and it's region locked. I travel to Japan at least a year or every other year so thats a problem for me. Come on Sony, get it together.

If Sony let it die it would mean the end of their reputation in the handheld department. They're too invested to let that happen and despite losses they still have over a billion dollars in the bank. They said they estimated 3 years to break even, even if it was 4 or 5, the market is too big to let go of their future credibility, or worse yet open a window for microsoft.

Time.

I have to agree with you that if Sony kills the Vita off now or even a year down the road, their credibility with early adopters and even the public will tank. This not only affects them short term by killing off the Vita, but long term their reputation becomes damaged. Personally I wouldn't be buying a future branded Sony console or handheld and would be looking at MSFT or Nintendo.

If Sony let it die it would mean the end of their reputation in the handheld department. They're too invested to let that happen and despite losses they still have over *70 billion dollars in the bank. They said they estimated 3 years to break even, even if it was 4 or 5, the market is too big to let go of their future credibility - especially as technology improves and becomes cheaper, or worse yet open a window for microsoft.

Time.

Sony does not have 70 billion dollars in the bank. Sony's credibility in the handheld market has been dead for like 4 years in the west. So basically they only have Japan left. Anyway, I'm hoping that Sony puts up the PS1 games soon if things do go south. PS1 OLED is calling me @_@

Skyzard

Banned
True my bad. Looks like they have -5Billion dollars. Ok not the best sign hah.

The psp wasn't dead, perhaps for sony but hardly for consumers..I mentioned in an edit in that post why the vita should do better....(based on 70 billion lol). Shit how are they staying afloat.

Ah...generating $3 billion from financing (no clue actually - it looks like they are much more in debt then 5 billion as well..like 140 billion in liabilities and 50 billion in assets...losing a couple billion each year)...loans/stock..meh looks like they need to go all out.

nickcv

True my bad. Looks like they have -5Billion dollars. Ok not the best sign hah.

The psp wasn't dead, perhaps for sony but hardly for consumers..I mentioned in an edit in that post why the vita should do better....(based on 70 billion lol). Shit how are they staying afloat.

Ah...generating $3 billion from financing (no clue actually)...loans/stock..meh looks like they need to go all out.

skyzard i do understand your train of thought but while gaming is one of the most important division of sony keep in mind that is not the only one they have to take care of... i don't think they can afford to gather all their available money to save it and forget about the others.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I tell you what. If vita goes belly up, I'm finished with portables. 3ds is not a good alternative to me. I got burnt at launch and was an ambassador. I didn't like the hardware and the 3d is headache inducing for me, and it's region locked. I travel to Japan at least a year or every other year so thats a problem for me. Come on Sony, get it together.
Pretty much this. Still cant believe Nintendo region locked the 3DS! I travel a lot and often would pick up games on holidays to play. Such a weird decision.

Skyzard

Banned
skyzard i do understand your train of thought but while gaming is one of the most important division of sony keep in mind that is not the only one they have to take care of... i don't think they can afford to gather all their available money to save it and forget about the others.

*you're right, it looks like they are in real survival mode financially. Although they are doing much better according to their quarterly...I think...I really want to understand this thing. It says cash flow is doing much better but balance sheet reports less..pretty confused*ahh I see, they spent a whole bunch of cash. Guess it does't really depend on the vita much anyway. All we can do is wait and see I guess but I am pretty happy with mine, no chance I'm letting it go, even if it flops after 2-3 years.

Random question, I found an old tweet of mine where I getting annoyed at somebody for saying that PS Vita was struggling in America because gamers are too entitled, anybody remember who that was? Apparently it was somebody who made a game I REALLY liked this generation, but my Google has failed me. It's been driving me nuts all day.

nickcv

anyhow i'd like to have your opinion guys.

while i do have every other console from last gen i didn't get a psp.
now i'm really tempted about buying one to play all those amazing rpgs, but on the other hand i'd love to play them on the vita oled screen.

problem is i don't have the money to afford a psvita at the current price, what should i do?
buy now the psp and later the psvita? if i do buy the psp street can i somehow buy the games digitally so that i don't have to buy them again when i get the vita?

anyhow i'd like to have your opinion guys.

while i do have every other console from last gen i didn't get a psp.
now i'm really tempted about buying one to play all those amazing rpgs, but on the other hand i'd love to play them on the vita oled screen.

problem is i don't have the money to afford a psvita at the current price, what should i do?
buy now the psp and later the psvita? if i do buy the psp street can i somehow buy the games digitally so that i don't have to buy them again when i get the vita?

First and foremost I would wait until you could afford it. There Is a lot of negativity and doom and gloom surrounding the system (mostly sonys fault) but it is a good system with some nice games. If I were you I would wait for the holidays for a price drop/bundle. Dat white vita is sexy as hell.

Also, it depends on how dirt cheap the psp is. There are some psp games that will most likely not make it on psn (lumines I+II damn shame really) so if you can snag one for cheap do so, but I would just wait for the vita.

nickcv

This would be my advice, probably to the chagrin of this thread.

Buying everything digital makes sense for the reason you mentioned but BOY can you find some great games on UMD for pennies.

i know that... every time i walk into a gamestop and see all those games at 4.99/9.99 i'm tempted to buy them.

the problem is that the psp street doesn't have wi-fi, how do i get into the psn and buy the games?

can i buy them on my ps3 and transfer them to the psp street via usb?

Skyzard

Banned
I found a better and clearer site! 10 years financial here.

Total assets 166 - Total liabilities of 135 = 31 billion! not too bad really! It looks like the last 2 years where they've done a bit badly, but they've still got the 90% and so I'm sure they could reverse that, or at least won't ditch it so soon. Maybe vita production costs no idea..? It was was like a few billion losses this year and the previous. Still got a nice chunk in the bank and like I said they invested a lot in handheld. Okay it's not 70billion, but still. Wonder how much of all that is from games. As technology improves the consoles and handheld might somewhat merge, why let go of the investment in something people will always want if you don't have to.

zroid

Banned
If you just want to play PSP games, the Vita is a really fucking expensive way to do it... even though it's the better way, overall.

PSP game prices on PSN are way too high most of the time, and they can fill up a massively overpriced Vita memory card right quick.

Get a used, older model PSP imo, 50-60 bucks well-spent. And many UMDs are dirt cheap.

nickcv

If you just want to play PSP games, the Vita is a really fucking expensive way to do it... even though it's the better way, overall.

PSP game prices on PSN are way too high most of the time, and they can fill up a massively overpriced Vita memory card right quick.

Get a used, older model PSP imo, 50-60 bucks well-spent. And many UMDs are dirt cheap.

well, i surely want to play gravity rush and i think some other games will come down the road that i will enjoy, i'd just consider it an investment for the future.

also i'm not really keen on buying used hw, unless it's in mint conditions.

the problem is that the psp street doesn't have wi-fi, how do i get into the psn and buy the games?

can i buy them on my ps3 and transfer them to the psp street via usb?
Yeah, you can buy PSP games on PS3 or PC and transfer them to a PSP.

Um, but I don't know if that applies to a PSP Street. I can't imagine it WOULDN'T, but, Sony.

zroid

Banned
well, i surely want to play gravity rush and i think some other games will come down the road that i will enjoy, i'd just consider it an investment for the future.

also i'm not really keen on buying used hw, unless it's in mint conditions.

Yeah, the used PSP would just be a temporary solution, I guess. Since you can't afford the Vita right now. I mean, you could probably get the Vita on sale or after an inevitable price drop a bit later and wind up spending the same (or less) WITH the PSP as just buying the Vita now at full price.

Skyzard

Banned
Ah, I don't own the site :p Just glad to see they aren't doing as badly as I thought when I was reading from the previous link I posted. Not great but still, like with the vita it is too early to tell, can enjoy the ride in the mean time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom