• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mileena

Banned
Why do people rate Uncharted GA so low. It's got great production values and a wonderful single player a better one than U3 at the least. Is it replay value and no multiplayer?

Boring/plain compared to the console versions, flooded with bullshit gimmicks (not everyone is ok with with touch gimmicks every 5 minutes), the fact that it's non-native res and the fact that it's made by a "B team"

Only two of those reasons are why I hated it, on top of not being able to aim properly on the tiny Vita sticks and my brain doesn't understand this "gyro" shit,

Sol1dus

Boring/plain compared to the console versions, flooded with bullshit gimmicks (not everyone is ok with with touch gimmicks every 5 minutes), the fact that it's non-native res and the fact that it's made by a "B team"

Only two of those reasons are why I hated it, on top of not being able to aim properly on the tiny Vita sticks and my brain doesn't understand this "gyro" shit,

Amen. Amen.

That's easy.

Vita rhymes pita which is the bread used to make gyros.

my comedy is gold

Skyzard

Banned
Is Guacamelee a PS3/PSV game? Im looking at a vid from comic con, looks really good.

I'm also interested about this, haven't seen much yet. Yes it is coming to PSV last I heard.

Btw about not putting on a screen protector I'll say be very careful..It's not expensive and I think it's worth it tbh but unless you are OCD good about keeping it safe/don't care.

Ease up lunch, he even said it was a bad joke. But no I find the gyro to be very accurate, at least in GR - haven't tried it in uncharted but tbh i'd love it I reckon.

Best way is to have it affect the aim at TINY intervals for minimal corrections - the nubs can be for general aim and then gyro for slight alterations. If it's possible, may be best with a seperate button/trigger to enable gyro aiming.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Ease up lunch, he even said it was a bad joke. But no I find the gyro to be very accurate, at least in GR - haven't tried it in uncharted but tbh i'd love it I reckon.
The Grim Heaper knows I'm kidding. Or at least he should. :(

I have a feeling there'll be more than faces painted on the walls by some messed up people.
Considering the game's single-player, I can't see the reason to spray anything crude.

Skyzard

Banned
Ah ok...and being 13 is probably the reason [and showing their friends] ;) < - thats actually pretty sick now that I think about it, although still pretty funny. Boom sudden shock hah.

It would be neat if they had it with some sort of effect too but can't see it happening. I didn't love the analogue input anyway, touchscreen will be just as fun but fingerprints hah ;) Camera...very useful for latching onto those cars and figuring out exactly where those charging footsteps are coming from without wandering all over the map.

Lucent

The Grim Heaper knows I'm kidding. Or at least he should. :(

Considering the game's single-player, I can't see the reason to spray anything crude.

Cuz maybe some people will be playing it and they'll show it to friends and stuff. Or just laugh to themselves. I dunno. lol

I really wish they could make a new JSR game and add some online modes. Tagging modes and stuff. They had some fairly decent mini games in JSRF. I always thought how fun it'd be to play online. Even have a character maker and stuff. Make your own groups.

JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOO!!!

Skyzard

Banned
That's true but this is a great first step. I think Sega is making some no-brainer, slightly cheaper decisions at this point.

Sonic platforming on the vita seems like something sony should push for as well - maybe a mega man...but that's too tough for today's generation..I'd still like my megaman 8 on vita.

arimanius

Hmm didn't see anyone disagree with Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention being A tier. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Never payed a Disgaea game before.

So... is anyone else pissed that they did a PS Blog post for Ragnarok Odyssey but there's still no release date? I'm starting to think they're dancing around it until the very last second to just say it's coming with the second avalanche of games next spring ._.

Iacobellis

There is speculation going around that Guerrilla Games will be making an appearance at gamescom. Never was a true fan of the Killzone series, but I wan't to see how well console FPS experiences can be translated to the Vita.

bede-x

It seems like I'm getting about 3 hours off of full charge.

Haven't actually timed it but I feel I'm getting 4-6 hours depending on what I'm playing. PSP titles are closer to the six hour mark.

They still have Jak & Daxter, Ape Escape, and Sly.

How there is no Ape Escape game still boggles my mind.

There's also Jumping Flash though that might be better suited to a home console. A new Ape Escape that demonstrates how to use the Vita features, in the same way the original showed off dual analogs, would be an enticing prospect.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
There is speculation going around that Guerrilla Games will be making an appearance at gamescom. Never was a true fan of the Killzone series, but I wan't to see how well console FPS experiences can be translated to the Vita.

Killzone Vita is being developed by SCE Cambridge Studio.

Skyzard

Banned
^ there seems to be an unsourced wikipage for it already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killzone_(PlayStation_Vita) --[edit -found source: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ngp-killzone-in-sony-cambridges-sights-report-6297920 ]

It seems like an obvious choice due to its relative popularity but same, haven't really been a fan but would also be excited for a decent vita fps, something about resistance's control scheme doesn't sit right with me but I'm still curious about that game too.

From the edited in source:

"Our sister studio in Cambridge is doing that," replied Ter Heide when we questioned him on the NGP version of Killzone earlier in the week.

"We&#8217;ve been working with them very closely for a couple of years now. They&#8217;ve been helping us develop actual Killzone content for all the games.

"We feel like the game is in good hands. We&#8217;ll still oversee it because the universe is something we&#8217;ve built up, we know the war and the rules that have been established, but they&#8217;re driving the development."

These guys haven't made an fps before - I guess it might not even be fps though! like the psp version game. At least I've heard their LBP PSP game played well.

More fuel for the anti-Vita crowd. I'm sure we'll see a thread all about it if no PSone support shows up at Gamescon.

They promised support prior to the Vita launch. ShuYoshida-san even tweeted, when pressed about progress on PS1 support around launch : "Soon."

How can (JP Dec, Jan) Feb, March, April, May, June, July, August, September = 7-10 months be considered soon? That's "later"...

PS1 support is a must for me. Maybe not for every Vita owner, who still owns older/other Sony platforms. I don't have any of their other systems and it was a bulletpoint hardware/software feature. Replaying these classics was part of my $250+ (16gb card as well) expense justification. I expected this solved months ago, not months from now.

That said, I will cut Sony slack if they can give a firm date, at Gamescom. No more vague seasonal timeframe. They owe the loyal Vita audience, who have been supporting them as things have ramped up negatively, at least that much.

I myself have tried to abstain in not trying to be overly negative, or rain on any optimism - I'm a launch day Vita owner, who's invested enough into the platform - and I'm finally demanding some clarity from Sony.

It's either they start making the Vita an attractive platform for new and current owners, with fulfilled promises and clear information - or (my sole action/power of one) I can start by cancelling my fully paid Vita game preorders...

Sigh.

I love the damn system and Sony doesn't make it easy :(

Hold me.

Thanks. I'll do a bit more research on it before taking the plunge.

It's really grind-y. If you enjoy playing levels over and over, getting new items, leveling up said items and characters, starting over from scratch with said characters to get better states, and more, it's for you. Basically, if you have time and put aside that time it'll be fun.

But still, I suggest doing some research.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Have a whole stash of vita games here from gamefly to go along with my craigslist bundle with games and the MK copy I got from gamestop, and I'm a bit bummed out so far but still excited for P4G and AC3L.

Uncharted - Was already of the mind that uncharted 1-2-3 would be vastly better games with 90% less combat. Same holds true here but add in shitty gimmicks and less impressive set pieces.

Mortal Kombat - Played the hell out of the console version but this one is great to. By far the best vita game I've played a bunch of by a very large margin.

Hardware itself - Really going to need a case with handles or something because I still can't hold it with my thumbs on both sticks for more than 10-15 min without pain. (large hands). Screen is fucking great though.

Touch my katamari - Not great but I'm a sucker for katamari so I've had fun.

Gravity Rush - Just not for me, don't think it's good or bad, just that I don't want to spend any more time than the 40 min I spent on it.

Unit 13 - Not that far in but I'm shocked how competent it seems to be. Still don't like the size/position of the sticks for any sort of fps/tps style game.

Skyzard

Banned
Hardware itself - Really going to need a case with handles or something because I still can't hold it with my thumbs on both sticks for more than 10-15 min without pain. (large hands). Screen is fucking great though..

Time for a grip accessory :) ( i had the same problem) cheap easy one to recommend is cta. haven't heard many reviews of the nyko battery one. pdp trigger grips are popular but i haven't tried them myself. Love the cta grip but can't charge without cutting a hole in it.

branny

nobody appreciates my awful jokes ):
They've been way better since I decided to start reading them in a pseudo-Brooklyn accent. :p

Hardware itself - Really going to need a case with handles or something because I still can't hold it with my thumbs on both sticks for more than 10-15 min without pain. (large hands). Screen is fucking great though.
That's really unfortunate. Have other portable systems caused you the same kinds of problems?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm sending a silent hello to KOMBAT since he lurks the thread and sent me (and apparently others) a friend request. That hello extends to you too Beast780.

They've been way better since I decided to start reading them in a pseudo-Brooklyn accent. :p
Not too far off, actually. I've got more of a New Yorker accent than a Pennsylvanian one.

I'm sending a silent hello to KOMBAT since he lurks the thread and sent me (and apparently others) a friend request. That hello extends to you too Beast780.

yeah guys thanks for the friend request

just kidding i didn't get a THING

Raoh

Had to send my iPad (original) for repair (it was a freebie ;), company I work for paid for it and its on their dime.

So I am using my VITA as my main side media device.

The device is awesome still, although Sony needs a Steve Jobs. Who thought it was a good idea to have the audio port on the bottom of the VITA device? Or a wireless stream option like an Apple Airplay like feature?

The point though.. God how the Netflix Interface sucks on every platform. 360, PS3, Vita, iPad, iPhone, desktop Windows 7, AppleTV, Mac OS X....

They all suck..

AppleTV has been the best so far.. but even then its still just shit but polished shit.

Fuck you Netflix and Fuck you sony for not fighting for a better experience. And fuck the asshole that decided on an audio port on the bottom of the device. How am I supposed to prop the vita for viewing AND hook it up to a sound system? It's not like you have an Apple like Airplay system.

Sorry for the rant, Android fans stay out, I'm talking about out the box services with no rooting/jailbreaking

Netflix on Vita is really gross, but I like how simple the PS3 app is. I just want to watch movies and shows. At least with the 360 app, it's so slow and convoluted now.

they had to prioritize and you weren't a priority

Have you ever posted your PSN? It's in your profile, but people who aren't members can't see that.
):

A few times. Maybe I should be irritating and sign my posts?

Is gamescon during Aug 28th?

Because that's when something something something. Shhhhh.
spill the beans

With love~,

ID: TheGrimHeaper

demigod

The device is awesome still, although Sony needs a Steve Jobs. Who thought it was a good idea to have the audio port on the bottom of the VITA device?

Who's the genius that thought it was a good idea to have your thumbs cover the speaker? This was fixed in the PSP Slim, guess they'll fix this AGAIN in the Vita Slim.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Time for a grip accessory :) ( i had the same problem) cheap easy one to recommend is cta. haven't heard many reviews of the nyko battery one. pdp trigger grips are popular but i haven't tried them myself. Love the cta grip but can't charge without cutting a hole in it.

Yeah just wish I could handle them before buying because I'm very very very particular about that sort of thing. It's a big reason why the next xbox could be awful in every way but have the same controller and it would probably still be my default console due to that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Had to send my iPad (original) for repair (it was a freebie ;), company I work for paid for it and its on their dime.

So I am using my VITA as my main side media device.

The device is awesome still, although Sony needs a Steve Jobs. Who thought it was a good idea to have the audio port on the bottom of the VITA device? Or a wireless stream option like an Apple Airplay like feature?

Fuck you Netflix and Fuck you sony for not fighting for a better experience. And fuck the asshole that decided on an audio port on the bottom of the device. How am I supposed to prop the vita for viewing AND hook it up to a sound system? It's not like you have an Apple like Airplay system.
g

Lets hope Vita revision have that.

No one apparently care about audio in gaming handheld,we got 4 years old LG phones with Dolby Headphone/mobile but nothing on gaming headphone...

the most weird thing is the USB port do output audio too(if you use the Vita Cradle) and the quality from that DAC seems better than the Vita own headphone jack.

zroid

Banned
And fuck the asshole that decided on an audio port on the bottom of the device. How am I supposed to prop the vita for viewing AND hook it up to a sound system?

You need to get one of those Kid Icarus Uprising stands lol. Works perfectly for Vita-propping-up! There's a space to keep the headphone jack clear. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom