• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno man, Uncharted and Mortal Kombat are both 3-3.5gb each, they're not shy about big file sizes.

indeed. I buy all those on retail cart but still they dont seem to see it as an issue.

As with you previous comment, I agree. MGS, uncharted, MK, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, etc were / are all great on this thing. I want this to be the one gaming device I need for everything from full on console quality games down to IOS style games. Id really like a civ game, at the very least civ revolution.

They really need to understand their target audience are gamers without much tv time. If ps mobile adds apps and IOS style games then my need for an iPad at the end of the year will drop to zero. I only really want one as it is for a few things like some games and splashtop streaming my PC. Allow splash top streamer app on Vita. That thing runs amazingly well right now. I can stream my pc games at a really nice frame rate since I got an N router. Just my iPhone is to small to really take advantage of it and priding the wifes iPad out of her hands is a struggle I cant be arsed to deal with.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'd be surprised if there is a dragon's dogma 2 at all, considering the sales of the first game.

The first Monster Hunter on PS2 was a huge bomba too.

imagine if Capcom killed MH after that and didn't give it more chances to be the the big seller its now,so yeah I think they should give DD more chances on handhelds or next gen systems.

Raoh

One of my favorite PS3/360 games is believe it or not Civilization Revolution. Sadly the PS3 version has no trophies but I still play it anyway.

If they won't patch the ps3 version for trophies, I'm not foolish to hope for a ps vita port. But does anyone know if there are plans for a Civilization Revolution 2 and the possibility that this could end up on the vita as well? The first one has found its way to iOS and android.

One of my favorite PS3/360 games is believe it or not Civilization Revolution. Sadly the PS3 version has no trophies but I still play it anyway.

If they won't patch the ps3 version for trophies, I'm not foolish to hope for a ps vita port. But does anyone know if there are plans for a Civilization Revolution 2 and the possibility that this could end up on the vita as well? The first one has found its way to iOS and android.

Id rather have the IOS port as its all touch based which works really well on it. They could thrown in the trophy list to match the gamecentre achievements.

Sid

Its not okay, PS3 version is cheaper and I'm in a dilemma as to wich version to buy. :/ Anyways, enjoy your game.
It's a lot of fun to play on the vita as well as the ps3,the vita's d-pad is the best in a console and it looks great on the OLED but lacks the co-op i think,i've only played the demo can't find the game anywhere in stores here

Sullichin

Trying to buy Sound Shapes. "Connection to Server has been lost" error whenever I click purchase. Tried on 2 different WiFi networks. I have no downloads in my queue. Restarted Vita. What to do?

patsu

Trying to buy Sound Shapes. "Connection to Server has been lost" error whenever I click purchase. Tried on 2 different WiFi networks. I have no downloads in my queue. Restarted Vita. What to do?

Happened to me once last night when I bought Sound Shapes. Error went away on my second attempt. Perhaps you can try again later ?

Silvawuff

I applaud those of you that are giving their faith and finances to this system. I've yet to give it either, and Sony is making it really hard for me to do so. For the folks asking about the PS1 functionality -- I think the real question they're asking is "why doesn't it have this out of the box?"

I remember seeing Odin Sphere on PSN and getting excited that it might be transferable to the Vita, with a whole back library of Ps2 games to buy again and play portable, along with all of the Ps1 offerings. Why is Sony dragging its feet on all that potential market? I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, and with good reason.

Sol1dus

^It didn't have it out of the box so that people would buy from the assortment of launch titles, not just buy the system to play ps1 games. It sucks, but it was a wise move. I have a feelin Gravity Rush and all the others would have sold even less if people would have been playing ps1 games this whole time.

I applaud those of you that are giving their faith and finances to this system. I've yet to give it either, and Sony is making it really hard for me to do so. For the folks asking about the PS1 functionality -- I think the real question they're asking is "why doesn't it have this out of the box?"

I remember seeing Odin Sphere on PSN and getting excited that it might be transferable to the Vita, with a whole back library of Ps2 games to buy again and play portable, along with all of the Ps1 offerings. Why is Sony dragging its feet on all that potential market? I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, and with good reason.

Nothing to do with faith. I have already easily got my money out of this system. However I would like it to continue to be awesome. There are still things coming out I want as well.

No one should buy a system because they hope it gets stuff they want. It should already have a few things you want in the first place.

Its why I havn't bought a 3DS.

Shinriji

OH NOES, what do we have here? GAMES

DOP4vl.jpg

For now I am playing Lumines non-stop for almost a week. SO GOOD. I could keep playing Lumines and TOM Blitz forever.

Vita have no games. HAH!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I got Rayman Origins for $10 at Best Buy for them not excluding it in their ad. I suggest you all do the same, great game.

Did you have to argue to get them to give it to you at that price? I know it's completely YMMV, but I'm half tempted to give it a shot. I can just see myself getting shot down.

pwack

My wife and two small kids are heading out of town for a week, which means extra time for the Vita. Any recommendations between the following games as to how to spend my time:
• Mutant Blobs
• Disagae
• Valkyria Chronicles II
• Ys 7

I favor RPGs, which seem to be lacking on the Vita ATM. But am happy to go PSP.

For the vita itself, I’ve play Gravity Daze, MGSHD, Uncharted, Wipeout. For the PSP, I’ve also played Tactics Ogre, P3P, Ys Felgana, and tried but hated Persona 1 and 2. If you think I am overlooking something obvious, let me know.

Other options – NSMB 2, possibly with a new XL.

darkwing

My wife and two small kids are heading out of town for a week, which means extra time for the Vita. Any recommendations between the following games as to how to spend my time:
• Mutant Blobs
• Disagae
• Valkyria Chronicles II
• Ys 7

For the vita itself, I’ve play Gravity Daze, MGSHD, Uncharted, Wipeout. For the PSP, I’ve also played Tactics Ogre, P3P, Ys Felgana, and tried but hated Persona 1 and 2. If you think I am overlooking something obvious, let me know.

Mutant Blobs for $8, but since you have plenty of time, Disgaea

• Mutant Blobs
• Disagae
• Valkyria Chronicles II
• Ys 7

give trails in the sky a shot if you like RPG's. I really like the combat and the over all feel of the game. I do however find the dialogue really REALLY boring but thats common in a lot of RPG's for me.

patsu

Faith not required. It fits my lifestyle better. Living room gaming is boring IMHO. Vita is my most favorite devices together with my iPad and MacBook Air. All are mobile/portable gadgets.

Ponn

Banned

Though Sony is doing a really horrible job selling the system right now people are looking at the system wrong. This is like a PSP system model but even a bit more extreme. At the end of its life the Vita will probably look completely different (not hardware wise but software), more so than the PSP did. It's going to be tweaked, updated and changed several times with more and more being added. It's pretty clear thats the direction sony has been taking since PSP and PS3.

My suggestion always has been and always will be buy a system when you feel its meeting your needs and value. I got the Vita at launch because their were a few games I wanted near launch (HSG, Katamari and Disgaea 3) and my digital PSP library enhanced on that screen ready to go. There were enough future titles that had my interest (P4G and the FFXHD announcement) and I knew PS1 would be coming eventually. Everything else is gravy.

It's still a bit infuriating seeing so much potential in a system being squandered due to inept management and advertising. Just because i'm satisfied with my purchase doesn't mean I want to see more, better games and apps.

daoster

^It didn't have it out of the box so that people would buy from the assortment of launch titles, not just buy the system to play ps1 games. It sucks, but it was a wise move. I have a feelin Gravity Rush and all the others would have sold even less if people would have been playing ps1 games this whole time.

I don't think this is necessarily true at all. Using this logic, then PSP compatibility should have been cut too (initially). Because lord knows after the launch titles, all a lot of us were talking about were which PSP RPGs or PSP games that we missed out on that we should try.

And while PS1 games were popular, and are still popular, I don't think they're popular enough to affect their owner's buying habits as much as you think.

And while I don't think PS1 support (or lack of it) would hurt or help sales THAT much, I think having it would have gone a long way in keeping current owners of the Vita happy.

The fact that it hasn't been supported since Day 1 and Sony's silence on it other than a vague "this summer," just infuriates people more.

Sol1dus

People need to get into their heads that the Vita is a new system. If its not calling out to them, quit complaining and move on. Then check back in a few months and see if there are some games that interests them. Vita has been the first console I've gotten at launch, and I'm fine with it. Sure, I sometimes cringe when I look at Sony's decisions, but the system's still young. I'll get worried if the Vita market looks exactly the same this time next year.

I don't think this is necessarily true at all. Using this logic, then PSP compatibility should have been cut too (initially). Because lord knows after the launch titles, all a lot of us were talking about were which PSP RPGs or PSP games that we missed out on that we should try.

And while PS1 games were popular, and are still popular, I don't think they're popular enough to affect their owner's buying habits as much as you think.

And while I don't think PS1 support (or lack of it) would hurt or help sales THAT much, I think having it would have gone a long way in keeping current owners of the Vita happy.

The fact that it hasn't been supported since Day 1 and Sony's silence on it other than a vague "this summer," just infuriates people more.

I think if I had the PS1 games I've been looking forward to, I would have held off on buying all major Vita games and just bought 1 major title with some PSN downloads.

And in my opinion, PSP functionality Was cut to boost Vita game sales. We didn't start getting most of the "must-haves" of the PSP library until like 2 months ago.

Well, it was confirmed as on the way when I bought it, which was enough. Everyone has already asked that question, a while ago. The wait sucks, but new devices always go through this. There is no point in holding a grudge over how things were during the launch, there is plenty to be pissed about right now.

There are bright sides, like all my PSOne purchases working across all current Sony platforms. What we end up with when we do get it is going to be pretty cool.

brentech

cancelled my Fifa 13 vita preorder, switched it to PS3. I know I'll want the PS3 version from what I've seen on it, and might still get the vita version, but they haven't shown a thing of it at this point.

daoster

I think if I had the PS1 games I've been looking forward to, I would have held off on buying all major Vita games and just bought 1 major title with some PSN downloads.

And in my opinion, PSP functionality Was cut to boost Vita game sales. We didn't start getting most of the "must-haves" of the PSP library until like 2 months ago.

Even if it's true that owners would have forego Vita games for PS1 games (something I don't necessarily think is true), it's up to Sony to produce the content (or get third parties to produce content) that would make Vita owners be excited to buy it.

Cutting out features that would be nice to have (like PS1 support) to try to help their own Vita offerings is kind of pitiful (though it should be noted, that I don't think Sony necessarily left out PS1 support to try to spur Vita sales).

At the end of the day though, what Sony wants is to keep Vita owners engaged on their system and to use the system as much as possible. It shouldn't matter if its playing Vita games, or PSP games, or PS1 games. The longer users are using their system, the more likely they are to buy games for the system, which should be seen as a positive for Sony.

Lacking features that are on the PSP (PS1 support), is just a shame...and I'm not complaining that it wasn't on the Vita since launch (that time has long pass), I'm complaining about the ineptness of how they seem to be handling the situation (summer is practically over!).

A thought occurred to me today, why aren't I playing Orc Attack yet? Does that have a release date?

Also, Ragnarok Odyssey needs to hurry up! Those are probably the two upcoming vita games I'm most interested in

Vossler

Man I hope something sweet is announced at Gamescom. Really hoping for ps2 support as well as the expected ps1....COME ON SONY!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
cancelled my Fifa 13 vita preorder, switched it to PS3. I know I'll want the PS3 version from what I've seen on it, and might still get the vita version, but they haven't shown a thing of it at this point.

The lack of media of vita versions of multiplatform games is really really really irritating(mud, wrc3, fifa 13, most wanted etc...) but at least fifa can't get worse than this right? ;)
ifa12_vita_benzema_shot_wm.jpg

(random image from the previous fifa soccer for vita)

Sol1dus

Lacking features that are on the PSP (PS1 support), is just a shame...and I'm not complaining that it wasn't on the Vita since launch (that time has long pass), I'm complaining about the ineptness of how they seem to be handling the situation (summer is practically over!).

Yup, their handling of the situation is ridiculous. Honestly, I'm really hoping that when PS1 does make it to the Vita, its a good emulator running on Vita hardware; not just an emulator within an emulator as seen on e3. And most importantly, that they handle the games with respect and not just add one or two titles every week.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The lack of media of vita versions of multiplatform games is really really really irritating(mud, wrc3, fifa 13, most wanted etc...) but at least fifa can't get worse than this right? ;)
http://game-smack.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ifa12_vita_benzema_shot_wm.jpg
(random image from the previous fifa soccer for vita)[/QUOTE]

Not sure if I can trust EA on anything, but for FIFA 13 case..

[QUOTE][B]EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13 on PS Vita gives you the same physics-based, data driven technology that powers FIFA gameplay on PlayStation®3.[/B] Take part in eight different game modes, including 11 vs. 11, Tournament Mode with over 50 real-world competitions, a full in-depth Career Mode, and head-to-head online. Innovations that utilize a rear touch pad and touchscreen create an intelligent and unique gameplay experience. Rear touch pad shooting delivers pin-point accuracy and removes the element of “hit and hope” from shooting and touchscreen passing opens up the field of play for more creative and precision passing.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/psv-ea-sports-fifa-soccer-13.html[/url]

EA promising us to have the same physics engine that used in the PS360 (impact engine) for the next FIFA on Vita so, so it should be better(way better).

but no one know for sure.

Sullichin

Happened to me once last night when I bought Sound Shapes. Error went away on my second attempt. Perhaps you can try again later ?

Nope, tried several times last night and a few times today, on a different network. After getting the same error a few times now I'm getting "Can't connect to the store within the time limit". I'm about to give up. Too bad, I haven't played my Vita much since launch. :|

mauaus

PS BLOG said:
Natsume Sale
50% off for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular Prices: $14.99, PS Plus Price: $7.50)
Natsume fans! Got a PSP? You’re in luck. 4 of Natsume’s best titles including some of the best from the Harvest Moon series are going on a nice 50% off sale. Adventures To Go!, Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl, Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon , Reel Fishing: The Great Outdoors, and Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley are all part of the sale.
Watch the PlayStation Store Updates for more news on additional Plus deals. Stay tuned for our next update scheduled for August 27th, and as always, let us know your thoughts in the comments.
Are any of these harvest moon games good?

brentech

Not sure if I can trust EA on anything, but for FIFA 13 case..

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/psv-ea-sports-fifa-soccer-13.html

EA promising us to have the same physics engine that used in the PS360 (impact engine) for the next FIFA on Vita so, so it should be better(way better).

but no one know for sure.

That's the most info I've seen about the game, lol.
If it's all true I'll get it on Vita as well. If it's true and someone provides a pre-order bonus, I'll pre-order it again.
Gamestops pre-order bonus was pretty nice if you care about the ultimate team stuff. I enjoyed it in last years madden, so I figured I'd go through them.

Are any of these harvest moon games good?

I'll vouch for Adventures to Go. Its a fun turn based jrpg with a cool battle system. Story is pretty minimal but it has a nice cyclical nature to it where you quest - buy equipment - quest - buy equipment - etc... Everything is nice and speedy

I just restarted it over the weekend actually

Edit: Battles take place on a grid but its not a Strategy RPG (or at least its much closer in style to a Turn Based RPG then a SRPG). Don't watch videos and go in hoping for FF:Tactics

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
That's the most info I've seen about the game, lol.
If it's all true I'll get it on Vita as well. If it's true and someone provides a pre-order bonus, I'll pre-order it again.
Gamestops pre-order bonus was pretty nice if you care about the ultimate team stuff. I enjoyed it in last years madden, so I figured I'd go through them.

Yeah, problem is these info can be just the usual EA bullshit, we need footage of the Vita version.

Not sure why all of these publisher are hiding their Vita games,hell even WB got the balls to show us that Spy Hunter horrible abomination the other day and it was pure poop but at least they threw it at us with no shame.

fernoca

Same. 10 cents for that game and I'm on board.
Got it for free with my Vita. :p

Bought WipEput yesterday, in anticipation of the lower ($20) price (hopefully across all retailers :p, tehre were only 2 left). Though the game's awesome so even if no new price is in place and I can't get the aditional $20 back; the game's still worth it at $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom