• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
How big are most downloadable games? If I get the Amazon bundle will the 4GB stick at least hold a game or two? Thinking I might jump on that. I'd want to get Wipeout, Sound Shapes, and the Metal Gear Collection, if those three will fit on the 4GB card I'm going to pull the trigger.

Depends on the game.

MGS HD: 3.3gb
Sound Shapes: 970mb
WipEout: 1.6gb + ~1gb if you want the Fury/HD packs (580mb + 300mb + 280mb = 1160mb)

You could fit Sound Shapes and WipEout or MGS HD.

You can always delete a game and if you wanna play it back you just go to your download history.

The only downside is the longazz time it takes to delete a file on Vita.

Hmmm, I really like going digital for handhelds but I guess I could just get the retail version of MGS.

Where are you guys getting the file sizes? I'm curious how big Lumines and Rayman are too. Also, is there a way to see how much it costs to download games from my PC, like how you can with MediaGo for PSP? I hear that some downloadable games are discounted compared to the retail versions.

Hmmm, I really like going digital for handhelds but I guess I could just get the retail version of MGS.

Where are you guys getting the file sizes? I'm curious how big Lumines and Rayman are too. Also, is there a way to see how much it costs to download games from my PC, like how you can with MediaGo for PSP? I hear that some downloadable games are discounted compared to the retail versions.

I dont think you can view them on PC, Sony really should release a PSN client for PC. :/

I looked in the Vita store.
You could probably look them up on PS3 if you had them.

Also, I found you this:
http://www.ign.com/wikis/ps-vita/Vita_Games_Sizes

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

I googled them. The file sizes are listed next to their respective games on each Playstation Blog store post when the game goes up on the Playstation Store, so the information shouldn't be too difficult to find. Unfortunately, you can't buy games on your PC, which is a shame, since that was how I bought all of my digital PSP games.

Edit: Or you can just use corrosivefrost's handy link. 8)

Sol1dus

Yeah i was pretty surprised too

Seriously...if i was a higher-up exec at sony i would have:-
-Moneyhatted development and made treyarch do the portl

No Call of Duty game that is on consoles is allowed to have ANY feature that isn't on the Microsoft game. So yeah, not going to happen to any iteration of CoD.

NFS MW VITA
Open world game with these graphics......

MY GOD! :0000

Wait, what? You're playing Ape Escape on the Vita?

Yeah, and I really hope more people pick the game up, it might push Sony to revive the series on Vita at least. Instead of tainting the brand with crap Mario Party-esque games and even worse MOVE minigame compilations.

I've been playing On The Loose on my Vita too. It's actually really fun. Getting me pumped to be Spike in PSAS

When I saw your avatar earlier I figured you might be playing it. How do you feel about it on Vita?

Skyzard

Banned
Sorry didn't get the lumines done, thought I'd split the old file into 2 but it seems the audio is missing from the conversion...going need to try and split the original tomorrow. Seriously though, easy buy :p

NFS MW looks pretty fantastic from those screenshots! Can't wait to see more but at least we know it isn't Spy Hunter visuals. Seems like that interview wasn't lies. The above video showing AC3 looks awesome too! Like jaw dropping good. So glad we're getting some high calibre games to go along with few small studio/indies and psp games I've been picking up recently.

Those will be such treats...so many...128gb please sony...$130

Although, is it just me or does assassins creed look like its running at like [probably the video recording] 25 ish fps...it looks good, just not running full 30? Outside the vita it seems faster...hope I'm wrong and it was just a demo build, probably, let's see. Really looking forward to checking it out though, looks like the typical AC experience, exactly what I wanted.

Actually it's probably my laptop or the recording itself...been terrible with youtube videos lately anyway, even though it's like a 2 year old mbp :/

Didn't see any stutter yet either, watching these two next:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...2--town-combat-and-exploration-gameplay--cam-
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...ion-gc-2012--combat-and-canoes-gameplay--cam-

Not sure if it's the same stuff you've seen already.

Dantis

Am I right in thinking that if I delete a game from the home screen, I lose all my save data?

The file system on the Vita is pretty damn awful.

TripOpt55

Really loved Sony's showing at GamesCom for the Vita. Tearaway looks great. I also want LBP and AC3:L. Killzone looked pretty solid. And I'll be getting Sly, Ratchet and Battle Royale on PS3, so getting the Vita versions for free is awesome.

Vitacat

Hmm... upcoming games are looking good. Now considering buying a Vita. We'll see.

Still wish there were more unique experiences to differentiate from consoles. That's what is drawing to maybe buying a 3DS XL. Hard to decide, and I don't want to buy both.

Skyzard

Banned
The unique experience is playing that great quality games in your hands.

I like new IPs as much as the next guy..but they can't all be new, too risky etc. Especially in the early stages, nice to have a solid library to cover basic genres. Gravity Rush was a necessity, Tear Away is a nice surprise, imo.

Don't forget it will tie in nicely with your PS3, especially with people around. And then again with the PS4, I'm sure. By then you'll probably realise it's funner to play games on the vita anyway.

=-====-=-==-=-

NFS MW
Sly
JSR
Retro City Rampage

Possibly ratchet and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but those are the ones I'm really looking forward to now (as well as AC3 and Killzone, of course). All-stars if they add bottomless pits. I know it sounds bandwagonish...but as soon as I heard it didn't have them, every footage looked so limiting. Really hope we hear updates on that during the delay. I didn't full understand Tear Away but if it's tower defence in nature then I'll be eagerly watching reviews of that as well. Not totally dismissing Cod either (I'm also quite thankful for 4v4....I used to love small based games, 5v5 or 6v6 in counter strike. Might be a lot less random and less of a luckfest with 8 players, especially on vita. Although I'm sure the grip will help a bit :)

LBP is one of the ones I forgot...damn Soul Sacrafice...perhaps persona 4...definately sine mora...it's non-stop..sonic and sega....

So many games that would suit the vita well as well, too many possibilities. [SSX, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, GTA...>>Sonic Generations<<] It's going to be good. I'm sure we'll get most and more, it's got so much going for it, the vita can't not pick up eventually, really. An rpg would be nice though, even action/adventure-rpg, don't think RO does it for me, but will check out some more vids later.

Rasec

Oh, all of that sound great! I use a screen protector, myself, but I guess I could always do as you said and put the skin above or underneath a protector. In case that would be problematic for some reason, I'd be more than fine with just the back skin, as it look incredible.

One thing though. I recall reading about some custom iPod skins from some site that would turn out a bit dark compared to the source image. Do you feel that this has been the case with your Vita skin?
The quality is always great there, that's why i trust in gelaskins. Sometimes i even think the skin came with better color than the picture i use there.
But they're aren't the cheapest so you can bet in quality but i have one on my ipad for over a year and half and no sign of sticking out or losing strength. You get a good value out of the money you pay.

Just make sure you use a good picture with a good size.
When you use the template and you resize the pic and make it fit the gadget they'll say how the quality of the image is at the moment.

Sometimes i made my skins with a grade of "GREAT" on image quality (the biggest is "PERFECT") but when i got it the picture looked perfect. xD
So in that department there's no problem.

Also if it was i, i would put the skin above the protector since the skin glues well and could help the protector be in place for longer time. But it's indifferent how you do it.
In other hand you could be hard when you decide to chance your screen protector.
Get a picture you love and play with their template and in the end you can see how the vita could look.
The preview is kinda small but you'll get a nice ideia of how it will look.

Sorry didn't get the lumines done, thought I'd split the old file into 2 but it seems the audio is missing from the conversion...going need to try and split the original tomorrow. Seriously though, easy buy :p

No problem xP Guess tomorrow i'll get the game at psn.
In case you're successful with the video show me please. ^^
I'll give you proof then, that all this lumines talk and gaf people help me decide on getting it. xP

Skyzard

Banned
Excellant! It is a no-brainer, if you even liked tetris a little. It has the gameplay, and audio and visuals to suck you in. It's like a necessary genre for me anyway. Not much of a peggle/bejewled fan.

Raine

They can't bring PS+ Cloud Saves to Vita fast enough. The whole save system is terrible.

Yeah this is what I want fixed in an update the most. I don't know if it's feasible at this point. I still don't understand why they didn't just put a "Save Data" folder for Vita games in the Settings.

Rasec

Excellant! It is a no-brainer, if you even liked tetris a little. It has the gameplay, and audio and visuals to suck you in. It's like a necessary genre for me anyway. Not much of a peggle/bejewled fan.

Now that phrase even helped me more. xP
manly because i like tetris, love rhythm games, but i never was able to be a huge fan of games like peggle or bejewel.
Not bad games but i can only play them a short time before getting bored. xD

Gamespawn

Just read the COD post on the PSBlog... Damn. I kinda feel sorry for the moderator. He's getting his ass handed to him. RBS wasn't that bad. It just wasn't good either.

VanWinkle

So, this may not necessarily mean anything, but I was reading the Sega Blog and saw this post from a couple of weeks ago about how there is a bonus edition of Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed coming. Despite that the game's coming to 3DS and most likely iOS (since the first one did), the bonus edition is only coming out for the PS3, 360, and Vita. Maybe this means that we'll at lest be getting a proper version of the game.

Rasec

So, this may not necessarily mean anything, but I was reading the Sega Blog and saw this post from a couple of weeks ago about how there is a bonus edition of Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed coming. Despite that the game's coming to 3DS and most likely iOS (since the first one did), the bonus edition is only coming out for the PS3, 360, and Vita. Maybe this means that we'll at lest be getting a proper version of the game.

Well the Vita version is on the hands of the same people that brought the gorgeous Virtua Tennis 4 for the Vita so it would be a crime a team like that make a crappy version of the game for us.

Skyzard

Banned
Now that phrase even helped me more. xP
manly because i like tetris, love rhythm games, but i never was able to be a huge fan of games like peggle or bejewel.
Not bad games but i can only play them a short time before getting bored. xD

I know what you mean, lumines packs more of a challenge, don't worry.

Lumines I'm always playing to the max trying to make the best square combos. Same rush from the tetris build up of blocks and has the variety (not so much in shapes but the colours of the 4 blocks that drop - it's all about matching the colours and making squares before the line clears them as it goes by).

I find classic tetris engaging enough but lumines lulls you into the gameplay, keeping you out of reality and immersed into the gameplay with the hypnotic visuals and nicely integrated music. Quite a lot of good tracks too.

You can practice to get better through the extra modes...once you are comfortable with the game it just becomes so replayable. An easy, go-to game. Ever in a situation where you need to kill 30 minutes? Lumines will have you do that without switching out of it. Infact, you'll likely have to pause and get a bit annoyed. Great game to own....buybuybuy :p

Sol1dus

Yeah this is what I want fixed in an update the most. I don't know if it's feasible at this point. I still don't understand why they didn't just put a "Save Data" folder for Vita games in the Settings.

Because trophy hacking through save files is rampart on PS3 games since save files are easily accessible.

mr_chun

Am I right in thinking that if I delete a game from the home screen, I lose all my save data?

The file system on the Vita is pretty damn awful.

wat

That means I've lost some save data already then lol. Oh well.

Just read the COD post on the PSBlog... Damn. I kinda feel sorry for the moderator. He's getting his ass handed to him. RBS wasn't that bad. It just wasn't good either.

I'm with you man. I didn't hate Burning Skies at all, and it's definitely the best game Nihilistic has ever made. Good first effort in a new genre on a new system. I'm not confident that they had enough time to make Declassified all that it could be, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't better than Burning Skies.

Rasec

I know what you mean, lumines packs more of a challenge, don't worry.

Lumines I'm always playing to the max trying to make the best square combos. Same rush from the tetris build up of blocks and has the variety (not so much in shapes but the colours of the 4 blocks that drop - it's all about matching the colours and making squares before the line clears them as it goes by).

I find classic tetris engaging enough but lumines lulls you into the gameplay, keeping you out of reality and immersed into the gameplay with the hypnotic visuals and nicely integrated music. Quite a lot of good tracks too.

You can practice to get better through the extra modes...once you are comfortable with the game it just becomes so replayable. Easy go to game. Ever in a situation where you need to kill 30 minutes. Lumines will have you do that without switching out. Infact, you'll pause and be a bit annoyed. Great game to own....buybuybuy :p

Edit Reason: be less annoying Me: x'D
i don't think you were being annoying unless you spammed the buybuybuy a lot more before editing. xD
Nice post and thanks for the information. Already from the demo i liked how the music was evolving according to how i was playing.
I got engaged in that and grooving to the sound and trying to not loose and do some combos. I sensed what you said about getting immersed.

Keep that level of annoying because i liked reading your post/opinion. xP

Skyzard

Banned
Haha I'm glad, I was just slagging off peggle/bejewled too much, when actually I do see the appeal. But yeah, lumines seems to be what you'll want.

As you get better it becomes more rewarding and immersive to play it as well. Always improving as you find better patterns of arranging blocks...managing rotation both ways and trying to keep an eye on the upcoming blocks etc. Perfect tetris puzzle type game.

branny

Really, once you get the hang of handling each block, your brain shuts off and the trance sets in.

Electronic Symphony is also really good for beginners because of the shuffle block helping out. Avatar powers in general make the game a lot easier than previous iterations.

Gamespawn

Lumines is a real time sink. Will start playing and next thing you know, an hour has gone by. Then, you start singing "Hey Boy, Hey Girl" on your way to work. Love that skin.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm with you man. I didn't hate Burning Skies at all, and it's definitely the best game Nihilistic has ever made. Good first effort in a new genre on a new system. I'm not confident that they had enough time to make Declassified all that it could be, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't better than Burning Skies.
It's disheartening seeing their name mentioned like it's poison. The very mention of Nihilistic in the CoD Vita thread brings out all this disgust - where did they get this reputation from, anyway? Seems a shame, given a lot of people would be working hard on their stuff - nature of the industry, I guess.

Iacobellis

I feel Declassified will shine, and perhaps Sony and Activision have just wanted to keep it under wraps for so long to surprise us come release.

I think Sony had rushed Nihilistic to get Burning Skies before the summer because that is the biggest drought of the year when it comes to video games. The 3DS was struggling with just OOT and RE: Mercenaries before the holiday season, so having only Gravity Rush wouldn't be enough. Maybe I am wrong, but that is how I see it. Activision would not blindly announce the game for the NGP and hold off on any kind of development for over a year.

I'm so upset that the ToysRUs deal is Canada only. I want to buy this system so badly, but the memory card cost is something I just cannot get over.

Shinriji

Since we're talking about Lumines

FHcWJl.jpg

TGY02l.jpg

Feeling like a GOD. Now just leveling up and using the avatar powers.

Skyzard

Banned
Good job! Those were a bitch for me. A bit lame that they weren't Gold! 30 squares in 30 seconds is harder than it sounds and level 5 master mode dropped super fast. --- do you play by rotating either/both ways or going through the rotations one way like me? Makes that mode extra hard.

The game made up for it with the playlist trophy. Forced me to play with the skins 12 times and ended up making a playlist I enjoy more then the default game (which has the same playlist so gets a bit boring after a lot of plays).

No platinum though...does it cost developers money for that or something?

Skyzard

Banned
How in the hell! I've been trying that time attack for months. Can't even clear 600,000 in voyage.

In voyage keep tapping the back (easier with those nice grips-to recharge the "avatar" powerup for those curious) and make sure to get the avatar "hold the line".

When I play normally (just for fun) though I tend not to bother.

Time attack was a bitch. Need to work on making large patterns of blocks to clear instead of doing 2-4 at a time. This one really forces you to get better at the game.

One way to make the larger patterns is to stack piles up with a few gaps in the middle. Don't work too long on a design but about 6-8 blocks at a time at least. The clearing line goes by about 3 or 4 times iirc in the 30 second time attack.

I thought black belt was for clearing the master challenge when I wrote the earlier post, seems like it was for voyager.

Anyway, silly that it doesn't have a retry button right. Doesn't matter for the main game, but for those extra modes it would have been appreciated.

Shinriji

How in the hell! I've been trying that time attack for months. Can't even clear 600,000 in voyage.

For the stopwatch mode, just keep trying. If the first blocks seems off, force a game over to retry.

The first time that I finish the first lap from Voyage, I have like 530k. Now I can focus on score. Gonna go for 800k next time.

Gamespawn

In voyage keep tapping the back (easier with those nice grips-to recharge the "avatar" powerup for those curious) and make sure to get the avatar "hold the line".

When I play normally (just for fun) though I tend not to bother.

Time attack was a bitch. Need to work on making large patterns of blocks to clear instead of doing 2-4 at a time. This one really forces you to get better at the game.

One way to make the larger patterns is to stack piles up with a few gaps in the middle. Don't work too long on a design but about 6-8 blocks at a time at least. The clearing line goes by about 3 or 4 times iirc in the 30 second time attack.

I thought black belt was for clearing the master challenge when I wrote the earlier post, seems like it was for voyager.

Anyway, silly that it doesn't have a retry button right. Doesn't matter for the main game, but for those extra modes it would have been appreciated.

For the stopwatch mode, just keep trying. If the first blocks seems off, force a game over to retry.

The first time that I finish the first lap from Voyage, I have like 530k. Now I can focus on score. Gonna go for 800k next time.
Thanks for the quick reply, guys. Will train harder than I ever have before.

I feel Declassified will shine, and perhaps Sony and Activision have just wanted to keep it under wraps for so long to surprise us come release.

I think Sony had rushed Nihilistic to get Burning Skies before the summer because that is the biggest drought of the year when it comes to video games. The 3DS was struggling with just OOT and RE: Mercenaries before the holiday season, so having only Gravity Rush wouldn't be enough. Maybe I am wrong, but that is how I see it. Activision would not blindly announce the game for the NGP and hold off on any kind of development for over a year.

Oh yes they would.

And Nihilistic has NEVER made a good game. Don't get your hopes up.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I'm not discounting it yet, seemed alright with potential for more - all about the controls really ... it is 30fps though from what I read on the blog. Just need to see some proper reviews/longer gameplay footage.

Thanks for the quick reply, guys. Will train harder than I ever have before.

Haha, nice, it is worth it. You feel legendary when it is done. Especially those challenges...Lumines is the only game I've 100% so far lol! Wipeout's online kept restarting to be fair..then they added both ps3 games to the trophy list...set me back by a bit. Not much of a trophy hunter though, only when I really enjoy the game. I like to play a lot of different games at a time too....just whatever I feel like. Usually I like to use trophies to get more replaybility out of a good game.

Shinriji

Haha, nice, it is worth it. You feel legendary when it is done. Especially those challenges...Lumines is the only game I've 100% so far lol! Wipeout's online kept restarting to be fair..then they added both ps3 games to the trophy list...

The only thing that Lumines lacks now is some skins DLC. Some classics like Shinin', Lights, Tiny Piano, etc. Even the Holiday pack from Lumines Supernova will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom