• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireCloud

I don't think it's too much to ask to give folks an option. Just copy over the psp interface and I'd be satisfied. Bubbles is a huge step back from XMB IMO. PSP even had game previews but in the vita liveareas we only get a boring static image. WEAK!

It's hard to tell but I think you don't care for the current Vita UI.

I think it works well. With the addition of folders and more than a 100 item limit, I wouldn't have any problems with it.

Oppo

The problem is wading through the categories. It's not self-explanatory for everyone, unfortunately. My dad still has a hard time figuring out where to go when he wants to watch a blu-ray, for example. For me personally, XMB works great, but I can sympathize with the detractors a bit.

Just as a side point of interest – you can configure the PS3 to just auto play any game or BD/DVD you insert. no navigating required.

Cloudy

Banned
Supposedly Sony is going to rectify this in a future update.

Source?

then wait till you use Metro UI,now that a real huge mess.

At least it doesn't look ugly and I'm pretty sure MS gives you the option to change back (what a concept!) Vita UI makes vita seem like a hot chick with bad breath. It's just not right lol

I still don't understand how the XMB could be considered non-user friendly.

Everything is clearly labeled and self explanatory.

iphone culture. Anything that isn't similar to that is now too difficult for most people. *sigh* At least if you're going to copy Apple, don't make it an eyesore with few sorting options

Ein Bear

The bubbles wouldn't be so bad if you could at least group them together in folders or something. The current UI just looks so cluttered.

The XMB is still the best console UI ever made. It's so snappy, clean and organised... I love it. Really wish they'd brought it back for the Vita, it's leagues ahead of those rubbish, cluttered bubbles.

Agreed. I would love to have some XMB love. I know right where everything is at. Miles above any other console UI. Really is.

CmdrWyrm

Neo Member
The bubbles wouldn't be so bad if you could at least group them together in folders or something. The current UI just looks so cluttered.

And it's even worse if you have to swap memory cards, since nothing ever stays where you put it. All the games and apps just get reorganized completely randomly.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ok so I have $20 to use on the store. I was looking for a good RPG; should I get God eater burst or monster hunter FU?
Thanks all

Gods Eater.

It's more "modern" in design and everything with faster combat system and has actual story and characters not just a boring grind-fest to no end.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The flow of the UI is pretty good setting aside the annoyance in clicking through each Live Area. It's an efficient OS. It has to be with the lack of general operating system features. Sadly we're probably stuck with their incompetence in aesthetic design even if they manage to improve notifications, make online properly integrated into the operating system and so on.

I actually like the bubbles quite a bit. I was skeptical when I read that the XMB was no more and the UI was all touch screen, but in practice I fell in love right away. There's definitely a lot of tweaks I'd like to see to improve the experience though - like adjusting the size of the bubbles and how many can be placed on each screen, as has been mentioned. I'd also like to be allowed to place the bubbles wherever I want, instead of on pre-defined slots, and the ability to navigate using the rear touch pad seems like it should have been a no brainer from the get go.

magawolaz

I'm ok with bubbles.
But the OS needs some tweaks. It needs to do some things in background, without showing a giant "Please wait" popup in the middle of the screen:

(my photoshop skills are rusty)

yn6FG.jpg

There
------------------V
zbJkr.jpg

Or something like that. To "Cancel" it, add another icon next to the "Please wait" thing, I don't know :lol

Hell, I'm sure Sony has plenty of designers/UI experts who can do better than... that.

Then give me folders and notifications for LiveArea's comments, and I'm pretty much satisfied :]

Bubbles are absolutely ugly. lol @ the aliasing. not saying I want xmb back but I want a competent UI. Oh well can't really complain its better than what ever 3ds uses.

Ein Bear

A bit of consolidation would be nice too. I don't know why Friends, Party and Messaging all need seperate bubbles, nor why Photos, Video, Music and the Content Manager do either.

Then you've got Welcome Park taking up a permanent spot, when everyone will be pretty much done with that after their first day with the system.

You could keep the bubbles, but add folders and merge some stuff and you could easily fit everything on one screen, within the 10 bubble limit, instead of having to flick between multiple ones:

Store
Trophies
Settings
Media
Friends
Vita Games
PSN Games
Minis
PSP Games
PS1 Games

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, soul sacrifice and ragnarok look real amateur hour . like the animations and ro art style look real blech . I hope there's more than that to look forward to on the retail front

Haliela

The biggest flaw witht he UI is having to launch apps for EVERYTHING. Fiends list? App. Trophies? App. Chat? App. Nothing is integrated in an easy to use manner.

Both Microsoft and Sony have gone downhill with their UIs. Microsoft had the most amazing UI back when the 360 launched with the blades. It was fast, efficient, and easy to navigate. Now that have the "Windows 8" thing going which isn't horrible, but it's more cumbersome. Same now with Sony going from XMB to Bubbleicious. It's not horrible, but why make your UI worse? I don't get it.

Like, what's that meeting like? Everyone goes to the boardroom and Jo-shmoe has his presentation all ready to show what they've done. "Hey look guys, it's worse in every possible way." .... "Done. Make it happen."

The biggest flaw witht he UI is having to launch apps for EVERYTHING. Fiends list? App. Trophies? App. Chat? App. Nothing is integrated in an easy to use manner.

Both Microsoft and Sony have gone downhill with their UIs. Microsoft had the most amazing UI back when the 360 launched with the blades. It was fast, efficient, and easy to navigate. Now that have the "Windows 8" thing going which isn't horrible, but it's more cumbersome. Same now with Sony going from XMB to Bubbleicious. It's not horrible, but why make your UI worse? I don't get it.

I imagine somewhere down the road the "basic" apps will be loaded so you don't have to launch them. This would be friendlist, trophies etc.

I feel the same way on all points. Maybe if everything blended together fluidly with the apps and bubbles, but they sort of... don't.

I imagine somewhere down the road the "basic" apps will be loaded so you don't have to launch them. This would be friendlist, trophies etc.
I hope that if it does happen, it's sooner rather than later.

Haliela

Man, soul sacrifice and ragnarok look real amateur hour . like the animations and ro art style look real blech . I hope there's more than that to look forward to on the retail front

You're kidding me! I mean an opinion is an opinion, but these games are practically system sellers to me. I think they both look fantastic.

zroid

Banned
its better than what ever 3ds uses.

It really isn't. Not in its current state, at least. The 3DS menu is waaaaaaaaay more flexible. And even so, the 3DS isn't all that great. Sorting is still a pain (but it's quicker than sorting the bubbles).

I played Virtua Tennis 4 until 5 in the fucking morning. Last night was literally the most fun I have had with my Vita thus far. If you guys are Hot Shots Golf fans, this game scratches that same sort of itch. And it looks fantastic. (Well, aside from the horrible monstrosity that is my in-game character, created from a photo of my face. That shit doesn't work.)

I bit the bullet and paid $39.99 on PSN for VT4, but fuck it - it was worth it. Fantastic game. FANTASTIC. Color me surprised.

Haliela

It really isn't. Not in its current state, at least. The 3DS menu is waaaaaaaaay more flexible.

Agreed. The 3DS UI isn't that bad at all. I prefer Vita's app suite because it's better than "lolswapnote" but the 3DS has an awesome box UI going on.

Takao

Banned

Biggest joke in history? Have you seen anything from that game? Ragnarok looks like a meh game but that's what it is.

Haliela

aww, I like swapnote :p

I really wouldn't mind swapnote, but it's too cumbersome to be a real community app. I also hate turning on spotpass as you tend to get note spammed and it takes a century for the damn thing to load them. Then you have to go through one by one and delete the little bastards.

zroid

Banned
I really wouldn't mind swapnote, but it's too cumbersome to be a real community app. I also hate turning on spotpass as you tend to get note spammed and it takes a century for the damn thing to load them. Then you have to go through one by one and delete the little bastards.

ahaha, well, the trick is to turn off the SpotPass notifications, while keeping it active. you're right though, it has a lot of issues. I use it every day so I don't get "spammed" per se. But loading dozens of notes each time you open it up would be dreadful.

I'm ok with bubbles.
But the OS needs some tweaks. It needs to do some things in background, without showing a giant "Please wait" popup in the middle of the screen:

(my photoshop skills are rusty)

yn6FG.jpg

There
------------------V
zbJkr.jpg

Or something like that. To "Cancel" it, add another icon next to the "Please wait" thing, I don't know :lol

Hell, I'm sure Sony has plenty of designers/UI experts who can do better than... that.

Then give me folders and notifications for LiveArea's comments, and I'm pretty much satisfied :]

Yeah, my biggest annoyance is that stupid load screen everytime I open a new bubble. I imagined the ram in PSV should be more than enough.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Any impressions on this thingy
41qFf3WdkWL._AA300_.jpg

if it's decent I might get it for whenever they release Black Ops/Killzone of any decent FPS on Vita ( since I need triggers for FPS)

zroid

Banned

Neat, I need to see if I can get this game on my radar. I hear nothing but good things.

Any impressions on this thingy
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qFf3WdkWL._AA300_.jpg[IMG]

if it's decent I might get it for whenever they release Black Ops/Killzone of any decent FPS on Vita ( since I need triggers for FPS)[/QUOTE]

I saw some an impressions video by IGN a few days ago... they liked it. It looks pretty good, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom