• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsung0

Neo Member
Speaking of grips, has anyone tried this one by CTA Digital?

OcAXUl.jpg

Seems to have a more reviews, a higher rating, and slightly cheaper than the other grip. I just can't imagine how it would feel in my hands though.

This is the one I as leaning towards, It's supposed to be better for larger hands than the trigger grip. But it doesn't have triggers, which is too bad.

Lucent

The XMB is still the best console UI ever made. It's so snappy, clean and organised... I love it. Really wish they'd brought it back for the Vita, it's leagues ahead of those rubbish, cluttered bubbles.

I love the XMB. It's much better than what the 360 uses. But I also think the bubbles are pretty awesome on the Vita. I like just being able to slide up the screens and double tap to get into a game. I guess I just like the visual effects when playing with it. Though I'm not against the option for the XMB as it'd automatically throw everything into it's own category.

Speaking of grips, has anyone tried this one by CTA Digital?

OcAXUl.jpg

Seems to have a more reviews, a higher rating, and slightly cheaper than the other grip. I just can't imagine how it would feel in my hands though.

I recommend this one.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/accessories/power-grip-for-ps-vita/102036

Same as the cta grip but has a battery to extend the life of the vita. I'm still on my 1st charge and haven't had a lot of time to play my vita but the time I did spend with it was good, and the battery life extends after the first few charges(so they say).

Skyzard

Banned
Is it just me or the characters in this game are not even casting shadows on the ground
I don't remember I have seen a video or a screenshot ,of the Vita version, where there is self shadowing or shadow casting

Maybe it's not the final build or I guess I am getting blind :)

I had some look at some other footage and I thought you were right! But they are there. Not always obvious though.

If you look carefully (start/pause/start/pause) you can see the shadows in this video more clearly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zOXYx8y5Q

At about the 3 minute mark it starts.

Not sure how it compares to the console version. I was waiting for vita. REALLY HOPE we don't get Super SFxT - did they promise not to do that?

EDIT: not so sure!!

Lucent

Yeah, i've only had my Vita a few months and there are already far too many bubbles and screens. 5 years into the PS3 and the shitloads of stuff are at least divided into music, tv, game branches with their own folder in there.
The bubbles don't work once you get over more than 4 screens worth, especially as 2 of those screens include built-in stuff that should really be combined into a couple of apps (the friends/trophies/settings/location bullshit).

What do you mean they don't work? I have up to like 8 screens (I got a theme of wallpapers to categorize them) and I haven't had any problems.

Skyzard

Banned
As in it is a bit shit. Need folders otherwise shit's just everywhere...[if not yet...then soon]

Still waiting for that Nyko CTA grip with battery to land in UK.

OmegaZero

Considering a grip for my Vita, but I haven't had cramping issues so far.

Oh well, maybe I just need to encounter the right game. :b

lepo

I had some look at some other footage and I thought you were right! But they are there. Not always obvious though.

If you look carefully (start/pause/start/pause) you can see the shadows in this video more clearly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zOXYx8y5Q

At about the 3 minute mark it starts.

Not sure how it compares to the console version. I was waiting for vita. REALLY HOPE we don't get Super SFxT - did they promise not to do that?

I still can't see them... but I trust you when you say that they are there. I would think so too.
Maybe it's just hard to spot them on the vita screen since I can see them very clearly on the ps3 footage

Lucent

As in it is a bit shit. Need folders otherwise shit's just everywhere..

Still waiting for that Nyko CTA grip with battery to land in UK.

Oh...well that's why I categorized them. lol. The demos can always be replaced with actual games. I just leave the demos on there cuz I don't have any Vita games besides Motorstorm RC. Couple of PSP games. All the free minis from PS+. Though I'll be adding the PSone games when those are available. But I do agree the media bubbles probably should've been combined and such.

Skyzard

Banned
I still can't see them... but I trust you when you say that they are there. I would think so too.
Maybe it's just hard to spot them on the vita screen since I can see them very clearly on the ps3 footage

[LEPO!] You know what...I think you are actually right, sorry about that. I'm not sure what I saw...some very minimal shadows by the feet. But I can't even see it each time...do you know what that stage is called? We could compare it to the console version. At least the dust effects and stage looks pretty solid.

Oh...well that's why I categorized them. lol. The demos can always be replaced with actual games. I just leave the demos on there cuz I don't have any Vita games besides Motorstorm RC. Couple of PSP games. All the free minis from PS+. Though I'll be adding the PSone games when those are available. But I do agree the media bubbles probably should've been combined and such.

Ah I like doing it too but a lot of them are already full! It's going to be really messy and I've nearly reached my 10page cap already.. I do have a few nice screens with only 3 games or so. Like All the wipeouts etc :) I guess I could re-organise...but still..folders would help a lot.

Cloudy

Banned
yeah i wish too, lets hope maybe tomorrow

I'm sure most folks know this but ps1 classics can be played via remote play. It works really well and it seems to have the button mapping and image enhancements as well.

As long as you have a ps3, you can play those games on vita right now :p

Lucent

Ah I like doing it too but a lot of them are already full! It's going to be really messy and I've nearly reached my 10page cap already.. I do have a few nice screens with only 3 games or so. Like All the wipeouts etc :) I guess I could re-organise...but still..folders would help a lot.

-smashes his 3DS into his Vita- FOLDERS GET! =D

lepo

do you know what that stage is called? We could compare it to the console version. At least the dust effects and stage looks pretty solid.

Any ps3 footage will do. Shadows are easy to spot
I agree , graphic wise looks pretty solid and I actually don't see any reason why the self shadowing and shadows in general shouldn't be there.
It's not like it's too much for vita.... Now that i think of, I had the same impression with some of the early resistance footages and screenshots, but shadows were definitely there on the final build

Skyzard

Banned
I don't see why not. If no one knows the answer, I could try it out later

A post on some forum says that it is possible using some converting feature from the PS3.

You'd expect them to do the same for Vita really...hehe, a risk I'd probably be willing to take - although if they don't have the option available as soon as we get PSone support it would be annoying...meh decisions...

Any ps3 footage will do. Shadows are easy to spot
I agree , graphic wise looks pretty solid and I actually don't see any reason why the self shadowing and shadows in general shouldn't be there.
It's not like it's too much for vita.... Now that i think of, I had the same impression with some of the early resistance footages and screenshots, but shadows were definitely there on the final build

Actually - looking at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO3E1RGH7fs which is a direct video out of the game, I hardly see any shadows if there even is a bit.

Hopefully you are right and this is just early footage but you know, it's not too bad without anyway. Shadows do tend to be quite CPU demanding in PC games as well so it is somewhat expected with the rest of it looking so good, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if they manage to drop them in.

lepo

Hopefully you are right and this is just early footage but you know, it's not too bad without anyway. Shadows do tend to be quite CPU demanding in PC games as well so it is somewhat expected with the rest of it looking so good, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if they manage to drop them in.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 has them so SXT will hopefully have them too :)

Skyzard

Banned
Oh right nice, I'll be interested to see how it would look running at 30fps instead of MK's 60, but I'm not optimistic. Assuming Dr Who will be capped at 30.

Ah it's already out apparently, just taking a look now. - actually I'm not sure, reading mixed things everywhere but it's not out in UK.

trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGQzsES0jA0

Graphics potential seem about right yeah...gameplay looks interesting at least, and visuals seem to suit the game anyway..but shame it won't lead to Batman AC on vita...or a million other possibilities...quite a set back imo. FU Epic. No more UT purchases for me.

Aurizen

I'm sure most folks know this but ps1 classics can be played via remote play. It works really well and it seems to have the button mapping and image enhancements as well.

As long as you have a ps3, you can play those games on vita right now :p

i wish it was wireless i hate having my vita hooked up to my ps3

Settings > System Settings > Delete PS Vita System's Backup Files
Delete PS Vita System's Backup Files
PS Vita system backup files that are being managed by a logged in user can be deleted. You cannot view the contents of a PS Vita system backup file from a PS3™ system.

Well I googled it and found my answer. That's pretty lame that I can't see what I'm backing up from the PS3.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
These posts just remind of a kid bragging about his huge cock. Also your comment was slagging soul sacrifice as amateurish so what do you expect, really.

Uh someone to cite why they think it doesn't look amateurish rather than MAN DIS PLACE IS LIKE -insert board here-.

Look, another 4 player action rpg with large monsters except this one only had a grey color palette. I sure hope I can skin the monster that I can kill too! IT's like the handheld version of FPS's at this point. Oh, but that's fine, I said the same thing about that Square Enix MH knockoff for PSP and that turned out ... oh right, terrible.

Skyzard

Banned
That was only one environment that we saw right? Hardly seen much gameplay other then the post I linked. And if you're referring to Dissidia then I'm loving it...

It seems you just really want MH.

Uh someone to cite why they think it doesn't look amateurish rather than MAN DIS PLACE IS LIKE -insert board here-.

Look, another 4 player action rpg with large monsters except this one only had a grey color palette. I sure hope I can skin the monster that I can kill too! IT's like the handheld version of FPS's at this point. Oh, but that's fine, I said the same thing about that Square Enix MH knockoff for PSP and that turned out ... oh right, terrible.

lol So slagging off another game because it isn't MH? Don't be surprised if you get those kind of comments.

It wouldn't surprise me if there isn't any real-time shadowing. Marvel achieved its native-res, 60fps goodness by making all the backgrounds 90% static, but it needed 6 characters in memory in any given round.

SFxT only needs 4 in memory simultaneously, so maybe that's why the background animations seem well-preserved for the most part. I'd say Capcom thought (and I agree if so) that shadows add less than backgrounds with life.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That was only one environment that we saw right? Hardly seen much gameplay other then the post I linked. And if you're referring to Dissidia then I'm loving it...

It seems you just really want MH.

I'm not referring to Dissidia. I'm referring to Lord of Arcana.

And not at all. I quite like Gods Eater and Phantasy Star's PSP versions. Both take some heavy inspiration from MH but make it their own. So far, I've yet to see that from either Soul Sacrifice or RO. I honestly think RO just looks cheap. Like the animations in Gods Eater look better and the characters have a much better design.

lol So slagging off another game because it isn't MH? Don't be surprised if you get those kind of comments.
Are you reading what I'm saying? The problem is that it is TRYING to be Monster Hunter rather than its own thing.

Is it worth getting a Vita if I'm going to use it mainly for PSP games? I currently own a PSP-3000 and I'm not too fond of the screen. I'll obviously get some Vita games as well in the future, but I'm not really interested in anything but Gravity Rush at the moment.

Skyzard

Banned
Nice, @Leona Lewis, that makes a lot of sense about the shadows and I agree about the backgrounds being preferred.

I'm not referring to Dissidia. I'm referring to Lord of Arcana.

And not at all. I quite like Gods Eater and Phantasy Star's PSP versions. Both take some heavy inspiration from MH but make it their own. So far, I've yet to see that from either Soul Sacrifice or RO. I honestly think RO just looks cheap. Like the animations in Gods Eater look better and the characters have a much better design.

I just looked it up yeah, my bad.

I haven't seen too much of RO, it did look a little stiff but I actually thought SS was really fluid - I know it's not as charming being rather dark. I agree about the grey colours in the video they showed but was pretty sure it was just that level. If you take a look at some of the few teaser trailers that are out, there are brief glimpses were you can see desert, fire and grass areas as well so I'm not worried about it but can't comment on the gameplay too much. It looks really fun. I'm sure MH will come to papa, vita eventually..

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is it worth getting a Vita if I'm going to use it mainly for PSP games? I currently own a PSP-3000 and I'm not too fond of the screen. I'll obviously get some Vita games as well in the future, but I'm not really interested in anything but Gravity Rush at the moment.

You mean it does something other than that? ;)

B.K.

This is the one I as leaning towards, It's supposed to be better for larger hands than the trigger grip. But it doesn't have triggers, which is too bad.

You don't want the trigger grip. That's the one I have. The grip itself is decent. It's a bit too small for me. I wish the handles were a bit larger. The triggers are garbage though. They have A LOT of resistance. You have to put a lot of pressure on them to get the shoulder buttons to register. I'm always afraid that I'm going to break one of the triggers with it.

Skyzard

Banned
I heard other users say similar things, also about leaving a mark on the triggers themselves (but nothing a little tape wouldn't fix).

That's why I took the plunge on CTA. Do check out the nyko battery one too. CTA grip is very cheap if you're in UK. Ebay them but they are HK sellers..so might be a wait.

@ DragonZord, this SS trailer is better to show the different themed levels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MhCeWJ68pU

Oh, thought this was a chicken leg:

patsu

Yes. I responded to a similar post earlier:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39886937&postcount=863

IMHO, when you get a chance, you should try Mutant Blobs, Rayman Origins and Virtual Tennis on Vita also. Uncharted is pretty interesting too, but it's a tad too expensive.

As good looking as PSP games are on Vita, the native Vita games can look even more stunning.

You mean it does something other than that? ;)

Yes. I responded to a similar post earlier:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39886937&postcount=863

IMHO, when you get a chance, you should try Mutant Blobs, Rayman Origins and Virtual Tennis on Vita also. Uncharted is pretty interesting too, but it's a tad too expensive.

As good looking as PSP games are on Vita, the native Vita games can look even more stunning.

Thanks for the answers. I'm currently thinking about getting either a 3DS XL or a Vita. I can get a Vita and a 16GB memory card for slightly more than what the 3DS XL will cost here in Sweden. I already own a 3DS, so I'm currently leaning towards a Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom