• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
So, I heeded all your advice and tried the demo for Pinball Arcade. I really enjoyed it... but there's one problem. And, tragically, it's unrelated to the game itself, but I pretty much can't play it as a result. :(

After Zen 3D, I just can't handle 2D pinball anymore. It's unbelievable how much of a difference 3D makes in giving you a "feel" for the table. I didn't even realize the extent to which, until seeing Pinball Arcade; it looks like a mess of overlapping colours in comparison.

I hope they port this to 3DS, because I will definitely buy it!

Remote playing FFVII on my Vita. Lag isn't too bad unless I'm on the world map for some reason.

Hrrggh, I'm almost tempted to do this. Almost. But I will wait.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Remote playing FFVII on my Vita. Lag isn't too bad unless I'm on the world map for some reason.
Is there a way to make the image not stretch by default? It makes PS1 games look really bad.

I messed around with Vagrant Story a bit, but the lag made the game unplayable.

I hope they port this to 3DS, because I will definitely buy it!
You are the problem.

I really need to check out the Pinball Arcade demo; it's good to hear that so many people like it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is there a way to make the image not stretch by default? It makes PS1 games look really bad.

I messed around with Vagrant Story a bit, but the lag made the game unplayable.

You are the problem.

I really need to check out the Pinball Arcade demo; it's good to hear that so many people like it.

Um... I'm playing at normal 4:3 aspect ratio which is the normal setting I have when I play on PS3.

Nope, unless you maybe make it 4:3 ratio. You should see what some of the PS3 games look like via remote play. I tried the Bionic Commando Rearmed demo a week or two after I got my Vita and it looked awful. It might have been because of the 1080p output I have set for my PS3, but yeah.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm sorry :(

I just can't play it.
You're forgiven. The 3D Pinball game that came with Windows is the only pinball game I can play. Can you tilt the Vita vertically to get a greater view of the screen? Verticality is my big problem with pinball games, and it would be great if I could flip the orientation.

Um... I'm playing at normal 4:3 aspect ratio which is the normal setting I have when I play on PS3.
Nope, unless you maybe make it 4:3 ratio. You should see what some of the PS3 games look like via remote play. I tried the Bionic Commando Rearmed demo a week or two after I got my Vita and it looked awful. It might have been because of the 1080p output I have set for my PS3, but yeah.
I worded that poorly. When I tried Vagrant Story, the game automatically stretched vertically to fit my entire Vita screen. The aspect ratio was fine, but I wanted the game to be in its original, pixel perfect size. The PSP PS1 emulator allows the size to be changed, but that's not on the PS3 emulator (unless it's only an option for HDTV users).

OmegaZero

I just can't play it.

I sort of know that feel, bro.

At least when it comes to 3D transforming the experience, not in terms of the lack of 3D making a game unplayable.

It's okay though, Vita GAF still loves you
as long as you pre-order three more Vita games to make up for it

I worded that poorly. When I tried Vagrant Story, the game automatically stretched vertically to fit my entire Vita screen. The aspect ratio was fine, but I wanted the game to be in its original, pixel perfect size. The PSP PS1 emulator allows the size to be changed, but that's not on the PS3 emulator (unless it's only an option for HDTV users).
... I honestly forget most of that. I'll try it out tomorrow(since it's pretty late now) and see what I can dig up.

I sort of know that feel, bro.

At least when it comes to 3D transforming the experience, not in terms of the lack of 3D making a game unplayable.

It's okay though, Vita GAF still loves you
as long as you pre-order three more Vita games to make up for it
larry_david_reaction.gif

Nilla

Banned
You're forgiven. The 3D Pinball game that came with Windows is the only pinball game I can play. Can you tilt the Vita vertically to get a greater view of the screen? Verticality is my big problem with pinball games, and it would be great if I could flip the orientation.

You can! It's non-obvious, though, as you can't flip it during play. Tilt the Vita at the table select screen and you'll be able to play with a vertical display.

patsu

You're forgiven. The 3D Pinball game that came with Windows is the only pinball game I can play. Can you tilt the Vita vertically to get a greater view of the screen?

Yes. You have to use touchscreen to control the flipper if you use a vertical view.

EDIT: Beaten.

rjc571

Banned

I just can't play it.

The 3DS Pinball games are worthless to me, 400x240 + 30 fps makes them borderline unplayable. The 3D effect is nice but resolution and framerate are far more important factors when it comes to pinball. On the other hand, Pinball Arcade is a joy to play on the Vita. (Except The Black Hole. That table sucks.)

The 3DS Pinball games are worthless to me, 400x240 + 30 fps makes them borderline unplayable. The 3D effect is nice but resolution and framerate are far more important factors when it comes to pinball. On the other hand, Pinball Arcade is a joy to play on the Vita. (Except The Black Hole. That table sucks.)

This is actually the impression I'm getting from most people who tried both versions. I'm personally a big fan of 3D and look forward to being able to play games like these in proper 3D, but the 3DS screen is too small for me, and with the limited power and resolution, I'm not sure the XL is going to remedy that sufficiently. Certainly for pinball, the smooth framerate is really essential.

I'm also a big fan of the shoulderbuttons. So while I agree that playing in portrait mode gives a nicer view, the shoulder buttons make for much, much more enjoyable gameplay. The HD Console version's support for vibration is a nice additional touch and I like that more than I thought as well.

All in all, very pleased with the game on the Vita. Oh and patsu - less chatting about this game, and more playing. My scores aren't that great, but my friend's list lack of competition is disappointing. ;)

patsu

This is actually the impression I'm getting from most people who tried both versions. I'm personally a big fan of 3D and look forward to being able to play games like these in proper 3D, but the 3DS screen is too small for me, and with the limited power and resolution, I'm not sure the XL is going to remedy that sufficiently. Certainly for pinball, the smooth framerate is really essential.

I'm also a big fan of the shoulderbuttons. So while I agree that playing in portrait mode gives a nicer view, the shoulder buttons make for much, much more enjoyable gameplay. The HD Console version's support for vibration is a nice additional touch and I like that more than I thought as well.

All in all, very pleased with the game on the Vita. Oh and patsu - less chatting about this game, and more playing. My scores aren't that great, but my friend's list lack of competition is disappointing. ;)

Heh heh Arwin, I have moved on to Snake's world. At the moment, totally confused in MGS 2. ^_^

At the backburner, thinking of a way to beat VC2 enemy commander in Darcsen Liberation. 8^/

Koroviev

No, it doesn't remove PSP save files. Those have to be manually deleted.

Sony really should have introduced consistency to the data management system. Based on the fact that you can delete the PSP bubbles without losing save data, I imagine that many people are going to inadvertently delete their Vita game saves.

Luigiv

Funilly I find it to be the opposite. Zen Pinball and The Pinball Arcade on my iPod Touch 4th Gen and Droid 3 are unplayable, even in qHD resolution. It's just too hard to distinguish the hardware from the table art. On the other hand, despite the low output resolution, Zen Pinball 3D is beautifully clear with hardware perfectly distinguishable from the artwork.

Mind you I don't have a Vita, so I imagine the larger display would give it an edge my PMP and phone but still I can't imagine it being 100% confusion free like on the 3DS, especially not on visually busy tables.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, after getting a bunch of other games since getting my Vita like a week ago, I finally go back to Gravity Rush... Kat's so cute :) *ahem* No, really, this game feels so great! A heroine that has an edge without being "bitchy", a story that has some snark, without being just stupid, characters that are written with personality, without making you constantly want to ask how they could be so stupid, or so mean...

It's just so... It's the kind of thing I feel for on Dreamcast, those games that were still very Japanesey, very "wonder and adventure" like, without all the tiresome angst and grit gaming is so facinated with now-a-days.

And the controls! They're not an issue at all. I'm not one who likes "gimmick" controls, but everything in G-Rush just works. Even the sliding.

I'm also happy with the size of the world. Going from chapters 3 to 3nd of 8 in once sitting, I was surprised by the variety. I was prepared to go through placed that were just... CITY, so imagine how I felt when I saw "more", to say the least. It's like an open world, but without all the boring filler areas which never see any action.

The Vita was worth it, to get in on this charming little game. Glad to be able to support it.

patsu

Funilly I find it to be the opposite Zen Pinball and The Pinball Arcade on my iPod Touch 4th Gen and Droid 3 are unplayable, even in qHD resolution. It's just too hard to distinguish the hardware from the table art. On the other hand, despite the low output resolution, Zen Pinball 3D is beautifully clear with hardware perfectly distinguishable from the artwork.

Mind you I don't have a Vita, so I imagine the larger display would give it an edge my PMP and phone but still I can't imagine it being 100% confusion free like on the 3DS, especially not on visually busy tables.

Does any of the PS3 pinball game support stereoscopic 3D ? Pinball Arcade is Buy Once Play on Both right ? What about Zen Pinball ?

I can see how 3D adds to the presentation and gameplay in a pinball game. ^_^

It's like KZ3 3D vs 2D. They both have pros and cons. I hope 3D become more mainstream in the future !

Mr.Fresh

I just finished Gravity Rush and I was on YouTube looking at the upcoming vita game trailers and wow. Soul Sacrifice looks amazing. What upcoming Vita games are you guys looking forward to? I'm planning on buying Guacamelee, Ragnorok, Persona, Assassins Creed, PSASBR, and maybe Madden, COD and nfs depending on how they come out.

So I completed MGS 2 (11 year old game) at the weekend and damn this game made me realise 2 things.
• Graphics from the PS2 era done well are still perfectly great for games as long as the art style is creative and interesting. Even the low res textures arn't annoying once your used to them.
• Games these days hold your hand far to much.

It was a joy to play a game that didn't force everything down your throat (for example it never tells you the button to open the doors over and over again or put an arrow on the map of where to go or have one linear direction for you to go). You get one chat on the radio or have to look at the controls and your take it from there. It treats you like.... well.... an intelligent being.

Sure the game is dated as hell in the control department (shooting its really clunky) but you get used to that and from the couple of hours I have put into MGS 3 they have def improved it a bit.

Oh I wish games these days were made in a similar way. Ho hum.

Best £21.50 I have spend in a while though. Really enjoying these.

wouwie

I bought Pinball Arcade yesterday. Out of curiosity, i compared the versions for ps3, vita and iPad 3.

Control wise, i prefer the Vita version. I'm not a fan of the touch controls on iPad and the L+R buttons on my dual shock don't seem that responsive anymore compared to the ones on the Vita.

However, visually, the limited height of the Vita screen is a bit of a problem. A lot of the finer details are somewhat lost and make it visually the worst version of the 3 tested. A pity because control wise, it's great fun.

I didn't know you could hold the vita vertical and play like that. I will try it out but i'm not a fan of touch controls in general for gameplay so i might stick to playing horizontal. I think i'll play both the ps3 and Vita versions. The ps3 version looks great.

It's going to be interesting to compare the game with Zen Pinball 2, which is coming soon hopefully.

Does any of the PS3 pinball game support stereoscopic 3D ? Pinball Arcade is Buy Once Play on Both right ? What about Zen Pinball ?

I can see how 3D adds to the presentation and gameplay in a pinball game. ^_^

It's like KZ3 3D vs 2D. They both have pros and cons. I hope 3D become more mainstream in the future !

Zen I believe will be supporting 3D in the upcoming patch.

RpgN

I just finished Gravity Rush and I was on YouTube looking at the upcoming vita game trailers and wow. Soul Sacrifice looks amazing. What upcoming Vita games are you guys looking forward to? I'm planning on buying Guacamelee, Ragnorok, Persona, Assassins Creed, PSASBR, and maybe Madden, COD and nfs depending on how they come out.

Let's see, based on the list Archnemesis came up with for the rest of the year:

Retail

Must haves:

1. Persona 4: The Golden (Not sure wether it's day one yet though, still need to play other Persona games first)
2. Ragnarok Odyssey
3. LittleBigPlanet

Interested but not 100% sure yet:

4. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz
5. Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation

Very slight interest and need to see more first:

6. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
7. Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time
8. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
9. New Little King's Story

PSN only

Must Haves:

10. Guacamelee (this is not on the list but it should be!)
11. Dokuro
12. Sumioni (still yet to be released in EU)

Interested but not 100% sure yet:

13. Jet Set Radio HD (I've finished the dreamcast version and would like to have it on portable, price and quality depends heavily on this purchase)
14. Snapshot
15. Sound Shapes

Very slight interest and need to see more first:

16. Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD
17. KickBeat

That's a lot of games for the rest of the year. There's enough choice and time to make research for them.

There are some import games too, but I'm not getting into those anytime soon.

^^ What that guy said basically

my list is abit shorter for me personally as far as musts....

persona 4, ragnarok, littlebigplanet, ass creed, sly, guacamelee just looks like pure sex. Love the art style beyond words and the gameplay looks amazingly fun... Jet set radio hd and oddworld round it out.

The others are basically rentals for me right now or until my interest is piqued a bit more (I'm sure it will be as time goes on), and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

About the PSone emulator on the PSP; besides the "fullscreen", "original", "normal and "zoom" option there is also that "custom" option, and in that mode you can zoom in and out with the L and R triggers.

I recently found out that by touching the analog nub you could stretch the screen horizontally and vertically and this way you can make the screen fill the entire PSP screen without any borders.

Never did know this but I thougt it was maybe nice to let you guys know!

Haliela

I posted this in the Gravity Rush OT, but that thread is dead atm.

Kat is so cute I had to break down and buy the DLC. She is adorable in these new outfits, and I was pleasantly surprised by the missions. They're quite creative and beefier than I expected at the $3.99 price tag. This game is a reason to own a Vita. It's really grown on me.

I finally caved on Gravity Rush and MGS HD over the weekend. Oh my goodness best decision I have made in months. Gravity Rush is already so much better than I expected (played for about 4 hours) and MGS3 plays as wonderfully as ever on the Vita.

sajj316

About the PSone emulator on the PSP; besides the "fullscreen", "original", "normal and "zoom" option there is also that "custom" option, and in that mode you can zoom in and out with the L and R triggers.

I recently found out that by touching the analog nub you could stretch the screen horizontally and vertically and this way you can make the screen fill the entire PSP screen without any borders.

Never did know this but I thougt it was maybe nice to let you guys know!

A little confused. Is this about the PSOne emulator on the PSP that will eventually be on the Vita or just the PSP?

Cornbread78

So outside of Persona in Oct. Has there been any other RPGs announced upcoming for VITA? (already know about Ragnorok, and who the hell knows what's going on with FFX)

A little confused. Is this about the PSOne emulator on the PSP that will eventually be on the Vita or just the PSP?

Actually this is about the PSOne emulator on the PSP and I was about to make a new topic about this but hey, I am a junior and can't start new topics so I thought it was maybe for the best that I came to this topic to mention it.

Also because on the footage of the E3 show the emulation of I thought it was FF7 on the Vita had the same warning screen before starting the game that the PSOne emulator on the PSP had (leading many to conclude that maybe shitty Sony worked al this time only to get the Vita to emulate the PSP emulate the PSOne, which would be really dissapointing...)

magawolaz

So outside of Persona in Oct. Has there been any other RPGs announced upcoming for VITA? (already know about Ragnorok, and who the hell knows what's going on with FFX)
New Little King's Story should be out this summer in US, I believe?

Ys Celceta and Legend of Heroes are out in october in Japan (no idea about a western release date).

FFXHD, Dragon's Crown, Tales of Innocence R are still in the limbo.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Actually this is about the PSOne emulator on the PSP and I was about to make a new topic about this but hey, I am a junior and can't start new topics so I thought it was maybe for the best that I came to this topic to mention it.

Also because on the footage of the E3 show the emulation of I thought it was FF7 on the Vita had the same warning screen before starting the game that the PSOne emulator on the PSP had (leading many to conclude that maybe shitty Sony worked al this time only to get the Vita to emulate the PSP emulate the PSOne, which would be really dissapointing...)
Believe that fact was known to most but the majority of folks don't want to stretch out their games anyway. (rightfully so)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom