• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Disgaea team's next game should be a Vita game.

100+ hours in Disgaea III so far, so I'd be very intersted to hear something.

New Little King's Story should be out this summer in US, I believe?

Ys Celceta and Legend of Heroes are out in october in Japan (no idea about a western release date).

FFXHD, Dragon's Crown, Tales of Innocence R are still in the limbo.

Damn, I was hoping I missed something and they formally announced the ToI R or Ys for a NA realease or something else by now....

Takao

Banned
New Little King's Story should be out this summer in US, I believe?

Ys Celceta and Legend of Heroes are out in october in Japan (no idea about a western release date).

FFXHD, Dragon's Crown, Tales of Innocence R are still in the limbo.

I'm about 90% certain ToIR isn't coming over.

I am also missing the 3D of the 3DS with Pinball Arcade on the Vita, it makes a big difference. On the Vita everything is mushed together and it is even hard to see where the entrances of the ramps are. On the PS3 you have shading, which helps seperate elements, I wonder if the GPU of the Vita could handle some shading for this game.

On the PS3 the lag is so bad that the game is virtually unplayable. Stereo 3D support there would be great.

I hope to see DLC for Circus Voltaire and Bride of Pinbot soon in the EU. And then Roadshow and Twilight Zone.

brentech

So, I heeded all your advice and tried the demo for Pinball Arcade. I really enjoyed it... but there's one problem. And, tragically, it's unrelated to the game itself, but I pretty much can't play it as a result. :(

After Zen 3D, I just can't handle 2D pinball anymore. It's unbelievable how much of a difference 3D makes in giving you a "feel" for the table. I didn't even realize the extent to which, until seeing Pinball Arcade; it looks like a mess of overlapping colours in comparison.

I hope they port this to 3DS, because I will definitely buy it!

Hrrggh, I'm almost tempted to do this. Almost. But I will wait.
I too tried it. While I don't have 3DS issue, I found myself detached from these tables. Just didn't feel them for some reason. Will wait out for Zen and see how it feels if they have a demo.

I also couldn't find a table view that hit the sweet spot for me. All of them slightly off from how I'd prefer to view it.

Kazerei

Banned
GAF, let's post reviews/recommendations of the Vita games we've played.

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational

Don't be deceived by the cutesy graphics, this game is really deep, challenging, and has lots of content. There are six golf courses in total. The main challenge mode consists of six ranks, each with five normal events and one VS event. Then the seventh rank has one final VS event. Oh, and every VS event has a harder version you can unlock by collecting crowns.

This was my first HSG game, so I was overwhelmed at first because the game basically leaves you to learn to play on your own. But there's plenty of explanations and advice on the internet. It's very much a skill-based game, and it was very satisfying to feel my skills improving after hours and hours of practice.

The difficulty curve is pretty steady, but I did chicken out and started using easy mode in the middle of the fourth rank. Accidentally hitting the ball out of bounds or in the water can completely destroy your chances of winning, which is frustrating, but such is the game of golf.

My other gripe is the shop. As you play you earn points, which are used to buy things at the shop. I focused on buying only things I really needed, but the prices rapidly outpaced the rate I was earning points. I just felt like it took too long to unlock stuff.

Overall HSG:WI is great. Compelling gameplay, tight controls, extensive content, pretty much everything I wanted of it. I would definitely recommend this game, it's well worth the asking price.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony

I played the first Lumines alot, so I felt right at home with this game. It's a block-clearing puzzle game with groovy music, vibrant graphics, and stylish presentation.

There's a few new gameplay elements here. Shuffle blocks: at first these seemed annoying, but after they saved me a few times from the dreaded checkerboard pattern, I started to really appreciate them. Avatar abilities: I rarely used these, mainly because I forgot about them. Experience system: as you play you gain XP and level up, which unlocks new skins and avatars. IMO this was a pretty useless addition.

There are some different modes of play, such as voyage (the main mode), master mode (extra challenging), stopwatch mode (fixed time intervals), playlist (custom tracklist), and duel. Unfortunately duel mode is versus CPU or local multiplayer only. No online multiplayer is kind of a disappointment, just online leaderboards.

Overall Lumines ES a decent entry in the series. Gameplay is solid as usual, but I was left wanting more from it. If you're looking for a fun puzzle game, this is it, but try to find it at a lower price.

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

I freaking love Disgaea. It's a SRPG series with the usual grid movement, turn-based battles, and standard RPG elements. But IMO, other SRPGs tend to feel tedious, while Disgaea is fun, fast-paced, easy to dive into, and it's just as deep and expansive. The series also features a few unique gameplay elements like lifting/throwing and geo blocks, which allows for map designs that are creative and puzzle-like. Oh, and it has a quirky sense of humor, and is chock full of references and parodies.

This game is mostly a straight port of the PS3 game, but with all the DLC content included, plus some new content, and some gameplay tweaks. So it's absolutely worth the $40 price tag if you're new to D3.

The biggest improvement to me is actually that post-game grinding is now way easier. You can obtain one of the best pieces of equipment pretty early in the post-game, and maxing out the item's stats is really straightforward. Disgaea is known for its intricate gameplay systems and endless grinding possibilities, but this game is much simpler to grasp and faster to reach stat caps.

If you're new to Disgaea, don't worry. Beating the main story doesn't require that much grinding or understanding of how things work. Afterwards, you can start to figure things out from there.

If you've played the PS3 game, I think you'll have to decide for yourself whether you want more of it. But if you haven't played the PS3 game, I would highly recommend D3:AoD. It could be the best SRPG the Vita will ever have.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

If you've never played MGS2 or MGS3, you need to buy this collection ASAP, for any of the platforms it's on (PS3, 360, Vita). They're the two best MGS games ever. Hell, even if you own the PS2 games, I'd still recommend buying the HD Collection, it's just that amazing. The console versions include Peace Walker, but the Vita version is portable.

I'm really impressed by how great the game looks on Vita while running at a smooth 30 fps, and sometimes 60 fps in certain areas. Controls are tight, and mapping the L2/R2 buttons to the touch screen works perfectly. There are some other optional controls using the touch screen and rear touch pad, but I never really used them.

Gameplay-wise, both games have held up perfectly fine. Lots of action games these days have stealth elements. MGS does it just right, and there's no need to mess with the classics. The layouts, puzzles, and boss battles are all really well designed.

Story-wise, MGS2 is ... entertaining, and MGS3 is beautiful and memorable. I'd suggest playing MGS1 first if you can, although the PS1 controls are clunky and outdated. You can do without it, but it'll maximize the experience.

There's plenty of content in this package too. The main games have good replay value, since you can approach each situation in a number of ways. Outside of that, there's VR missions (lots of them), Snake Tales (which are extra challenging), and the original MG and MG2 on MSX.

MGS HD Collection is my favorite Vita title so far. It's got two awesome games that look great and run smoothly on the Vita. Can't go wrong with picking up this title.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

I'm quite impressed by what Sony Bend was able to accomplish for launch. I was cautiously optimistic about the game, but I'm pleased with the results. It's a strong, enjoyable launch title with a few flaws.

First off, the touch control features are kind of hit and miss. Some of the ideas are pretty neat, most are annoying or useless. It's not really that bad, just something you have to deal with.

The real problem is that analog stick aiming is sluggish. There's a slight lag between when you push the stick and when the cursor moves, because for some reason, the cursor has to accelerate first. Increasing the sensitivity doesn't help, because then it's harder to make fine adjustments. Gyroscope aiming works better IMO, though you really have to turn alot to move the cursor a large distance.

On the positive side, the story is compelling, the graphics are beautiful, and the voice acting is solid. The production values are very, very impressive, especially for a handheld. And the gameplay is good too. The gunfights were occasionally frustrating, but everything else was really fun. I couldn't put the game down until I was finished.

Overall I'd say this game was the perfect launch title to showcase the system, and is worthy of the Uncharted name. It was a satisfying experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested.

zroid

Banned
I too tried it. While I don't have 3DS issue, I found myself detached from these tables. Just didn't feel them for some reason. Will wait out for Zen and see how it feels if they have a demo.

I also couldn't find a table view that hit the sweet spot for me. All of them slightly off from how I'd prefer to view it.

Zen definitely gives you a much wider selection of viewing angles. Especially in Zen 3D, there's this one that's angled a bit low and pans, giving a fantastic sense of depth. I kept flipping through the views in TPA but nothing clicked. Either the gizmos were blending into each other, or I couldn't discern their heights properly. Again, I think 3D would greatly alleviate this problem.

Varth

Please remind me: what's the difference between backup and simply copying games and other content from card to PC for storage? I got platinum on Uncharted and would like to get some free space.

No way to store the save only, right? I have to store a whopping 3.5gb of save file?
:\

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
smh

the prices in the PSP section in the US store are completely batshit insane.

Some Examples
-Ace Combat Joint Assault (2010) $39.99
-Blazing Souls Accelate (2010) $34.99
-Cars 2 (2011) $29.99
-Cloudy with a chance of meatballs (2009) $29.99
-Dead or Alive Paradise (2010) $29.99
-Dirt 2 (2009) $29.99
-DJMAX Portable 3 (2010) $39.99
-Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce (2009) $29.99
-The Eye of Judgement Legends (2010) $29.99
-FIFA soccer 11 (2010) $29.99
-FIFA soccer 12 (2011) $39.99
-Gangs of London (2007) $22.99
-Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2 (2009) $29.99
-IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey (2009) $29.99
-Lego Harry Potter Year 1-4 (2010) $29.99
-Locoroco (2008) $22.99 (note Locoroco 2 -2009 is for $7.99)
-Lord of the Rings Aragorn's Quest (2010) $29.99
-Parappa the Rapper (2008) $22.99
-Petz Dogz Family/Petz Hamsterz Bunch/Petz Saddle Club (all 2009) $29.99 each
-Persuit Force (2009) $22.99
-Soul Calibur Broken Destiny (2009) $39.99
-Tekken 6 (2009) $39.99
-UFC Undisputed (2010) $29.99
-Undead Knights (2009) $39.99
-Warriors Orochi 2 (2009) $29.99

unholy brother of all fucks,Full prices for older PSP games?full prices for licensed garbage like Cars 2 really ? this is complete madness,DD future can go and burn itself.

Not only that but there are tons of other older games (2007-2010) are still for $20 or more, even the portable God of War which you can get for PS3 in HD with trophies -aka superior versions-for cheaper, are they (Sony and other publishers) completely insane?

Vita is the superior way to play PSP games, but they need to cut this stupidity and lower the prices all over the store. (also bring the missing games)

Please remind me: what's the difference between backup and simply copying games and other content from card to PC for storage? I got platinum on Uncharted and would like to get some free space.

No way to store the save only, right? I have to store a whopping 3.5gb of save file?
:\

The only way to store the save only is if you own the game retail instead of digital.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Vita is the superior way to play PSP games, but they need to cut this stupidity and lower the prices all over the store. (also bring the missing games)
FIFA 11 and Parappa are hilarious to me. Who's going to pay $30 for a two year old sports game? Who's going to pay $23 for a PS1 port?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
unholy brother of all fucks,Full prices for older PSP games?full prices for licensed garbage like Cars 2 really ? this is complete madness,DD future can go and brun.

Yeah, for a real laugh check out what the UMD versions are going for. But hey, that's what happens when these companies have you by the balls, and a god reason why I don't want an all DD future.

brentech

Zen definitely gives you a much wider selection of viewing angles. Especially in Zen 3D, there's this one that's angled a bit low and pans, giving a fantastic sense of depth. I kept flipping through the views in TPA but nothing clicked. Either the gizmos were blending into each other, or I couldn't discern their heights properly. Again, I think 3D would greatly alleviate this problem.

Yep. No view made my flippers easy to see and allowed me to understand what the ramps were doing. Never had that problem with Zen on PS3. Hoping when they bring it to Vita it has the same view angles.

bumpkin

Well isn't that a bitch... I was looking for a slightly smaller case for my Vita and picked up the official "Travel Case" over the weekend. Got it home and attempted to put my Vita into it, and wouldn't you know it, there wasn't enough space for the charger.

I really don't understand Sony's obsession with huge honkin' chargers for their portables.

Varth

The only way to store the save only is if you own the game retail instead of digital.

Thanks. Any clue about the Backup/Copying difference? The online manual is REALLY confusing on that.

smh

the prices in the PSP section in the US store are completely batshit insane.

SO true. I find great deals all the time on GREAT RPGs I'd like to play on the go (Valkyrie Profile for 7euros :() and I's saddened there's no way to get them on Vita or get them in digital form. and when the game is up, price is so crazy I end up passing on it.

Takao

Banned
Tekken 6 PSP
$39.99
Release Date: November 24, 2009

S9eei.gif

tpax

Banned
Damn, I'm a stitch away from buying a Vita to play Uncharted: Golden Abyss, but I'm also tempted by the 3DS XL, and I can't afford getting both. I just can't decide, please help me.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Damn, I'm a stitch away from buying a Vita to play Uncharted: Golden Abyss, but I'm also tempted by the 3DS XL, and I can't afford getting both. I just can't decide, please help me.

get a PS3 and buy Folklore.

it's a Vita thread. do you think people here will recommend 3DS XL over Vita?

Finally caved and got a Vita this weekend, with Future Shops' Trade 5 + $80 for a Vita promo.

Bought Katamari and Gravity Rush for my first games. I'm really liking what little bit of Gravity Rush I've played, but trying to pry this things out of my girlfriends hands while she is playing Katamari is proving to be quite the feat. I'm actually really liking this Katamari too, but damn, she was the one telling me not to get a Vita, and now I can't get her to stop playing it.

I'm also liking the remote play feature. I just wanted to test it out, and now somehow I'm right balls-deep back into Final Fantasy VII. I noticed a bit of lag when playing via remote play, but it is still pretty cool to have that game on the go.

patsu

I am also missing the 3D of the 3DS with Pinball Arcade on the Vita, it makes a big difference. On the Vita everything is mushed together and it is even hard to see where the entrances of the ramps are. On the PS3 you have shading, which helps seperate elements, I wonder if the GPU of the Vita could handle some shading for this game.

On the PS3 the lag is so bad that the game is virtually unplayable. Stereo 3D support there would be great.

They patched Pinball Arcade to 1.02. It looks like they blurred some of the pinball art to make the ball stand out further. ^_^

I don't have issues with Pinball Arcade. I am open to both 2D and 3D. The blur made the affected tables look ugly though.

patsu

Take a few more days to decide. Best is to experience the devices personally because both have features that are hard to market unless you try 'em out. Reading and watching YouTube give a very limited view of what they offer.

patsu

Finally caved and got a Vita this weekend, with Future Shops' Trade 5 + $80 for a Vita promo.

Bought Katamari and Gravity Rush for my first games. I'm really liking what little bit of Gravity Rush I've played, but trying to pry this things out of my girlfriends hands while she is playing Katamari is proving to be quite the feat. I'm actually really liking this Katamari too, but damn, she was the one telling me not to get a Vita, and now I can't get her to stop playing it.

I'm also liking the remote play feature. I just wanted to test it out, and now somehow I'm right balls-deep back into Final Fantasy VII. I noticed a bit of lag when playing via remote play, but it is still pretty cool to have that game on the go.

Yeah, the RemotePlay you see now is the PSP version (480x272). They are updating a few new games to support the Vita RemotePlay (960 x 544).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
fuuuuuuuuu my 16gb order from amazon was canceled. Anybody else's go through?

huh..I just bought one from them today(will be delivered tomorrow to my mail forwarding box)...

Thank you for shopping with us. We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order. Your order is on its way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to return an item from this shipment or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.com.
Your estimated delivery date is:

Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Track your package Your order was sent to:

Your package is being shipped by UPS and the tracking number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Depending on the ship speed you chose, it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return any information.

Shipment Details

CASABELLA Microfiber Plasma and Lcd Screen Cloth
Sold by Amazon.com LLC (Amazon.com)
$8.80

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard...
$64.99

PlayStation Vita Card Case
$5.86

PlayStation Vita Cradle
$16.80

16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card

Then again I'm a superior Amazoner with unlimited Prime power.

Shinriji

JAPAN VITA PSN STORE TOP 10 (July 2-9)

1. Assault Gunners
2. MGS HD
3. Persona 4 Golden
4. Gundam Seed Battle Destiny
5. Ragnarok Odyssey
6. Ciel no Surge
7. Escape Plan
8. Gravity Rush
9. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitation
10. New Little King Story

ASIA VITA PSN STORE TOP 10 (June)

1. Gundam Seed Battle Destiny
2. MGS HD
3. Resistance: Burning Skies
4. Escape Plan
5. Dynastw Warriors Next
6. Gravity Rush
7. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
8. Persona 4 Golden
9. Ridge Racer
10. Motorstorm RC

spannicus

JAPAN VITA PSN STORE TOP 10 (July 2-9)

1. Assault Gunners
2. MGS HD
3. Persona 4 Golden
4. Gundam Seed Battle Destiny
5. Ragnarok Odyssey
6. Ciel no Surge
7. Escape Plan
8. Gravity Rush
9. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitation
10. New Little King Story

ASIA VITA PSN STORE TOP 10 (June)

1. Gundam Seed Battle Destiny
2. MGS HD
3. Resistance: Burning Skies
4. Escape Plan
5. Dynastw Warriors Next
6. Gravity Rush
7. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
8. Persona 4 Golden
9. Ridge Racer
10. Motorstorm RC

Damn nobody bought Dokuro?

Koroviev

Which has the most current/upcoming games that you'd like to play?

Koroviev

From the BST thread:

Looking to sell my Vita:

System:
Playstation Vita WiFi version with 8GB Card and Soft Shell case - $195 shipped

Games: (as of now I'm only selling the games with the purchase of the vita. Once the vita is gone, if there are still games left, I'll sell them individually):

Buy all the games below and the Vita for $330, that's a $53 savings! Or pick the ones you want, prices below:

Gravity Rush: $25
Resistance Burning Skies: $25
Metal Gear HD Collection: $28
Wipeout 2048: $22
Hot Shots Gold: $17
Uncharted Golden Abyss: $27
Disgaea 3: $22
Rayman Origins: $22

All prices include shipping. I'm a GAF Gold seller, US and Canada only, also paypal only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom